Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th October 2020, 12:41   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
1. Any reasons for choosing the Salem route over Tiruvannamalai route (which I believe is lesser by around 40kms)? Any feedback on this route if you know??

2. You mentioned there are no checks on covid? I imagine an e-pass is still required to be taken? How about on your way back, exiting TN.. did you take an e-pass for this?
1. As ampere mentioned, Salem-Thalaivasal route is fastest and also even beyond that you can really make good speeds. Traffic is very less in V.Koot road all the way till Jayankondam. Thiruvannamalai route is absolutely NOT a preferred option for multiple reasons. Road conditions are not good, heavy traffic and not much good stop over points. Anyday, Salem route is better.

2. To enter TN, yes, you still need ePass regardless of whether they check or not. We heard there are random checks, so keep it handy. For return journey, nothing is needed to exit TN or to enter KA. Just increase your patience levels, switch the mind set to city traffic mode after driving in highways with good speed till Hosur and have to bear the bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic, as it is fully back to pre-covid levels now.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 23:03   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
1. As ampere mentioned, Salem-Thalaivasal route is fastest and also even beyond that you can really make good speeds. Traffic is very less in V.Koot road all the way till Jayankondam. Thiruvannamalai route is absolutely NOT a preferred option for multiple reasons. Road conditions are not good, heavy traffic and not much good stop over points. Anyday, Salem route is better.

2. To enter TN, yes, you still need ePass regardless of whether they check or not. We heard there are random checks, so keep it handy. For return journey, nothing is needed to exit TN or to enter KA. Just increase your patience levels, switch the mind set to city traffic mode after driving in highways with good speed till Hosur and have to bear the bumper to bumper Bangalore traffic, as it is fully back to pre-covid levels now.

-Ravi
Thank you Ravi.. very useful input this.. I saw somewhere that the travel time is about 7hrs, so perhaps an 8am start would get me into Bangalore by 3pm, to try and avoid those bumpers
prasanna.sub82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 20:40   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
Thank you Ravi.. very useful input this.. I saw somewhere that the travel time is about 7hrs, so perhaps an 8am start would get me into Bangalore by 3pm, to try and avoid those bumpers
So I did the circuit this week starting out on Tuesday and returning back to Bangalore today!!

Route:
Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Salem > Virudhachalam > Jayamkondam > GangaiKondaCholapuram > Aduturai (destination)

Time taken: 7.5hrs with breaks, distance of 422kms

As guided by couple of other members on this thread, the road conditions are outstanding for the most part. Some minor road diversions as well as a 2-way road in the Virudhachalam - Jayamkondam stretch may slow you downa bit.

The Zuzuvadi checkpost was a bit chaotic but manageable. There was heavy fog till about 8.30am in the morning.

No covid related checks anywhere along the route

Thanks guys for the tip !!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-img_20201027_072548.jpg  

prasanna.sub82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 11:42   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This route is 4-lane till Thalaivasal, a WIDE 2-lane till Vridhachalam (plus lets you bypass Vridhachalam totally) and in short is an option for the fastest commute.

Many members have perfected this route. Especially Thalavasal-Vridhachalam is the find of this forum. What a brilliant 2-lane !
HI Ampere, can you help to capture the full route from Bangalore to Kumbakonam in gmaps and post the snapshot here as per your recommendation? I see people mentioning Veppur enroute and also Vridhachalam bypass which are two different routes. Hence a little confusing.

I am doing the Navagraha circuit this deepavali weekend and hence wanted to understand the route clearly
Old 10th November 2020, 11:59   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
HI Ampere, can you help to capture the full route from Bangalore to Kumbakonam in gmaps and post the snapshot here as per your recommendation? I see people mentioning Veppur enroute and also Vridhachalam bypass which are two different routes. Hence a little confusing.

I am doing the Navagraha circuit this deepavali weekend and hence wanted to understand the route clearly
Below link should help.

https://goo.gl/maps/dGYxAkhT2yLk9vyM9

If you are planning for Deepavali weekend, please be aware of the rains forecast which can slow you down.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:18   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Like Ravi mentioned, the routing to KMU for this section is fairly straight forward, as he shows them in the link.

As regards to the Navagraha circuit, my suggestion would be:

D1 : Reach KMU. Spend the second half on local temples.
D2 :
First Half: Thirunallar, Keezhperumpallam, Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeshwaran Kovil and back to KMU.
Second Half: Suryanaar, Kanjanoor, Thirunageshwaram.
D3: Alangudi, Thingaloor --> Bangalore via Trichy
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:33   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Below link should help.

https://goo.gl/maps/dGYxAkhT2yLk9vyM9

If you are planning for Deepavali weekend, please be aware of the rains forecast which can slow you down.

-Ravi
Thank you very much Ravi. The route info is clear now. I am hoping the rain gods will keep the cloud cover with slight drizzle only. Worstcase, I will extend the stay by a day beyond Monday. Thank you for the headsup

Quote:
Like Ravi mentioned, the routing to KMU for this section is fairly straight forward, as he shows them in the link.

As regards to the Navagraha circuit, my suggestion would be:

D1 : Reach KMU. Spend the second half on local temples.
D2 :
First Half: Thirunallar, Keezhperumpallam, Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeshwaran Kovil and back to KMU.
Second Half: Suryanaar, Kanjanoor, Thirunageshwaram.
D3: Alangudi, Thingaloor --> Bangalore via Trichy
Thank you so much Ampere for the minute details. I had come up with similar plan except that I was planning to cover Thingaloor in first day and go to Thanjavur big temple on the last day of return. Let me see how the Gods have destined the three days for us. Thank you once again
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:17   #278
BHPian

Thank you Ravi and Ampere for your crisp instructions. We had a very satisfying Navagraha and kumbakonam temples tour over the last 4 days and the climate was pure bliss. We also stayed in a Homestay Ananda Bhavanam Guest house which is bookable through airbnb. This is a fully equipped 2 bedroom house with all kitchen amenities. Wife had to just carry cooker and imagine 4 days and all meals were served at home. We also had help from a lady who cooked our dinner and supplied to the guest house. Here is what we did

1. Day 1 (14-Nov) : Start from Bangalore at 7AM - Reach KBM at 3PM. Visit Alangudi, ThiruNageswaram Navagraha temples + Uppiliappan temple and back to guest house

2. Day 2 : Guest house start at 7AM-> Keelperumpallam -> Thiruvengadu -> Vaitheeswaran Koil -> Kanchanur -> back to guest house by 1.30PM. Have lunch, take rest and start again by 3.30PM -> Suriyanar Koil -> Thiruvidaimaruthur (Not part of Navagraha) -> Back to Guest house

3. Day 3 : Early morning Start at 6.30AM -> Cover three local Kumbakonam temples Athi Kumbeshwar Temple -> Sarangapani Temple -> Sakrapani Temple (All three were done by 8.30AM) ->proceed to Tirunallar -> Children wanted to visit beach. So took them to Karaikal beach and spent a good 2 hours there.-> Reach guest house by 2.45PM. Had lunch and started again by 3.30PM -> Thingalur (with this we covered all 9 Navagrahas) -> Swamimalai -> Patteswaram temple -> Back to guest house

4. Day 4 : Relaxed start from Guest house at 10.30AM (Wife had to take a couple of online classes for her school kids and I caught up on some important office mails)-> Reach Bangalore by 6.30PM.

Hardly any sunshine in all the 4 days and rain was there occasionally with mostly drizzles. Perfect for a drive and the Tjet bought us home safely after one more memorable trip.

Last edited by gopikb : 18th November 2020 at 11:20.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:02   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Ravi and Ampere for your crisp instructions.
Brilliant! Over last 4-5 years we visited this region multiple times. And each time a different set of temples! And if temples were not enough, nice interior roads, awesome food and of course coffee!

On the Pompuhar road (SH22) besides Suryanaar Kanjanur : Thiruvisainallur, Karkadeshwar, Sivayoginathar Thirukodikaval, Thiruloki, Kadiramangalam and Govindapuram. (Not to mention Thiruvidaimaradur. The huge one!)

Along Kumbakonam/Swamimalai : Thiruvlanchuzi, Nallur, Papanasam, Thirukargayur, Thittai, Patteshwaram.

Within town: Apart from what you saw: Airvateshwar.

Further away towards Mayavaram/Thirunallar: Peralam, Koothanur, Thilatharpanapuri, Srivanjiyam and Nachiyar Kovil close by.

If you head further towards Thiruvarur you have the huge Natarja temple and further towards Thiruthutaipoondi you can do : Ettukodi and Thirrukollikadu.

Further beyond Mayavaram you have of course Sirkazahi and Chidambaram

I am sure I have left more!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:04   #280
Senior - BHPian

Excellent. Glad to hear. Happy that you had covered the temples in optimal way in all directions.
When you plan next time, we can help you for other popular or "less visited" temples

-Ravi
Old 18th November 2020, 15:12   #281
BHPian

Quote:

On the Pompuhar road (SH22) besides Suryanaar Kanjanur : Thiruvisainallur, Karkadeshwar, Sivayoginathar Thirukodikaval, Thiruloki, Kadiramangalam and Govindapuram. (Not to mention Thiruvidaimaradur. The huge one!)

Along Kumbakonam/Swamimalai : Thiruvlanchuzi, Nallur, Papanasam, Thirukargayur, Thittai, Patteshwaram.

I am sure I have left more!
Oh wow. That is quite some list Ampere. Will save it for the next trip. Since I am the lone driver, I did not want to push too hard. But the serene temples with no crowds made me feel this is my place for retirement!! Each one of the temples are a gem.

Quote:
Excellent. Glad to hear. Happy that you had covered the temples in optimal way in all directions.
When you plan next time, we can help you for other popular or "less visited" temples

-Ravi
Absolutely Ravi. Will reach out to you guys in the planning stage itself next time.
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:51   #282
Senior - BHPian

Just completed a very quick Bangalore-Kumbakonam-Bangalore trip.

Left Bangalore yesterday 21st Apr at 12.00 pm and reached around 7.30 pm including 1 hour break.
Returned today 22nd Apr. Left Kumbakonam at 12 noon and reached Bangalore around 8 pm including 1 hour break.

Road conditions remains same as earlier. Its overall good. There are few patches in Kumbakonam-Bangalore side between Vridhachalam bypass to Veppur to V.Koot road junction , joining thalaivasal. So, its little bumpy in the return journey. But there is nothing majore to complain or worry about.

-Ravi
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:40   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vridhachalam bypass to Veppur to V.Koot road junction , joining thalaivasal
Kumbakonam-Jayamkondam-Vriddachalam is all patched up? Few potholed sections existed when I did in January
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:51   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Kumbakonam-Jayamkondam-Vriddachalam is all patched up? Few potholed sections existed when I did in January
Yes Narayan. I didn't see any potholes. Speed breakers are the main issue in that route more than potholes

-Ravi

Most Viewed