Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 21:23   #16

Hi Arun,

I don't remember exact distance between Bangalore and Kumbakonam, its around 370 to 400kms.

I left my home around 6 AM and after crossing Hosur I had breakfast in Adyar Ananda Bhavan and took some snacks and cool drink from there. I did not stop in any place for hotel. I reached Kumbakonam around 1 30 and had my lunch.

Please note: On the way most of the petrol bunks dont accepts Credit Cards so please take sufficient cash. And you wont find ATMs on the way, but in Kumbakonam there are few ATMs where you can withdraw money.

And as Centil was mentioning you can find paddy dumped on the road and they keep some big stones covering it on sides and road is bit narrow. Be careful especially after TTiruvannamalai --> Thirukoyilur
Old 27th August 2008, 12:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Krishnagiri to Tiruvannamalai route is very bad
I vote for Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Trichy - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam route.

Avoid this route at any cost, roads still under construction and very very bad,
you never know what is ahead,I mean horrible. and lot more far than other route . Also you find people driving horrible, overtaking with pass light on even if the opposite vehicle is approaching dangerously near after slowdown as if they are previleged road user.
Old 14th September 2009, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Need Help... Very urgent

Hello Members,
I need to travel bangalore to kumbakonam in two or three days. im traveling for three days. this thread is not updated for quite some time now. can please give directions on new route or the same route with road conditions. kindly help as its is very very urgent.
Old 14th September 2009, 17:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hello Members,
I need to travel bangalore to kumbakonam in two or three days. im traveling for three days. this thread is not updated for quite some time now. can please give directions on new route or the same route with road conditions. kindly help as its is very very urgent.

can someone please give me information regarding this. kindly help as need to decide on other factors. members please help.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:25   #20
BHPian

hello All,
Is there someone to help me with the route please. its little urgent. Mods is there some latest thread on this. if so could please merge it as i need answeras soon as possible.. thanks.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:47   #21
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Hi,

I am traveling tomorrow to kumbakonam ( thirukadayur to be precise). Could anyone update me on the road condition and the best possible route to take.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Hi,

I am traveling tomorrow to kumbakonam ( thirukadayur to be precise). Could anyone update me on the road condition and the best possible route to take.
Did you travelled to kumbakonam as planned? It would help if you could share the route experience.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Did you travelled to kumbakonam as planned? It would help if you could share the route experience.
If you are looking for route status:

Bangalore - Trichy : Via Salem, Namakkal - Thuraiyur - Trichy Bp.
From Trichy you can either take the 4L to Tanjore and there on to Kumbakonam or take the SH22 via Kallanai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 19:29   #24
BHPian

I took the following route. Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - trichy - kumbakonam. Road from Salem to Namakkal is being relaid in parts and some parts are virtually non existent. From trichy to kumbakonam is 2lane and is bearable. Rest of the route is all 4 lane.
Old 25th March 2012, 11:22   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Road from Salem to Namakkal is being relaid in parts and some parts are virtually non existent.
This I think is complete 4L. Where is it being re-laid? Are you referring to Namakkal-Trichy section?
Can you please explain?
Old 25th March 2012, 14:33   #26
BHPian

Yes. The Namakkal trichy section.
Old 26th March 2012, 14:15   #27

Been to kumbakonam.

From Bangalore to Kumbakonam

Started at 9:30 AM, took Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - T V Malai - Thirukovilur - Panruti - Kumbakonam.

The stretch between Krishnagiri till panruti is really pathetic and ensured that my indica is taken for a ride to hell. I cud reach Kumbakonam by this route only at 11 PM.

We had our lunch at Sri Krishna Inn @ Sulagir and Evening Snacks and Tea and Dinner [ its all he same garbage ] @ Vadalur.

From Kumbakonam to Bangalore

Started at 8:30 AM, took Kumbakonam - Tanjore Byepass - Trichy Byepass - Salem Byepass - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore

The stretch between Thiruvanaikovil and Namakkal is bit horrible as they are reconstructing the road. good for 4WDs.

Had our Tea @ Musiri, Lunch @ salem byepass [ A2B ] dinner @ Sri Krishna Inn, Sulagiri

Lesson learnt

Never take Krishna giri - thiruvannamalai route.

its worth driving 450 kms throuh Route 2 rather than route 1. Infact, this stretch offers less strain thanks to GQ and more over i took only 10 hrs to reach the destination.
Old 26th March 2012, 20:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

Its a known horror story which you should not have endured.

Standard option is via Namakkal Thuraiyur. Dont go via Musiri. Thuraiyur option would directly get you to Trichy bypass and there on to the Tanjore 4 lane. You can also choose to take the SH22 via Kallanai.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:25   #29
BHPian

The Krishnagiri-Tiruvanamalai road is HELL ON EARTH. I had gone to Pondy in 2011 and the roads were bad, but not as bad as how it was last January. From Krishnagiri, at the blink of an eye, the roads transform to something close to a warzone. Pathetic condition! And to think that is a National Highway!

Anyway, I am going to go to Kumbakonam (Actually a small village about 80km from here) tomorrow morning. I was thinking of leaving at around 12 30 pm as I have some important work. Is it possible for me to make it to Kumbakonam before 9pm? Assuming I'm taking the road through the Salem- Trichy route.
Many Thanks!
Old 6th April 2012, 13:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
The Krishnagiri-Tiruvanamalai road is HELL ON EARTH. I had gone to Pondy in 2011 and the roads were bad, but not as bad as how it was last January. From Krishnagiri, at the blink of an eye, the roads transform to something close to a warzone. Pathetic condition! And to think that is a National Highway!

Anyway, I am going to go to Kumbakonam (Actually a small village about 80km from here) tomorrow morning. I was thinking of leaving at around 12 30 pm as I have some important work. Is it possible for me to make it to Kumbakonam before 9pm? Assuming I'm taking the road through the Salem- Trichy route.
Many Thanks!
If you leave at 12:30 pm, keep 9 to 10 hrs in total.

B'lore to Trichy => Approx. 6 hrs with breaks , so you can reach around 6 pm roughly.
Trichy-Tanjore => 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on traffic in Tiruverumbur, say 7: 30 pm.
Tanjore-KMU => 1.5 hrs easily, say about 9 pm.

So, its doable, but i'll caution you, after sunset, drive between Tanjore and KMU is not that easy (bit dangerous too), after you have driven for about 400+ kms in high speed. Driving style need dramatic change for this 40 km stretch.

BTW, which car you will be driving?

Good luck !

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks