Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 22:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Were you able to stick to the timings for the rest of the temples? How did that go? Also I hope you had a pleasant stay at KMU
Ampere, i don't think he stayed in KMU. Guess, he didn't goto KMU at all

-Ravi
Old 8th April 2015, 10:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Were you able to stick to the timings for the rest of the temples? How did that go? Also I hope you had a pleasant stay at KMU
I stayed in V.Koil http://hotelsriakshardham.com/ it was a good one. Stay was pleasent. Commute to nearby temples (Thirukadaiyur, Thiruvengadu, etc) were without any trouble. Actually inner roads were on par or better than ECR. Did take ECR to chennai and GQ back to bangalore. Noticed many sections of relaid road near Chennai/Kancheepuram It used to be patched & bumpy ride. Thanks.
Old 8th April 2015, 11:45   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Ampere, i don't think he stayed in KMU. Guess, he didn't goto KMU at all

-Ravi
Yes. You are right. I didn't touch KMU this time. But another one waiting in next 1-2 months going further down till Tanjore visiting multiple temples on the way.
Old 8th April 2015, 19:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Yes. You are right. I didn't touch KMU this time. But another one waiting in next 1-2 months going further down till Tanjore visiting multiple temples on the way.
Ok cool. If your main destination is Tanjore, then going via Trichy makes more sense and fastest than any other route.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 8th April 2015 at 19:41.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 20:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
If visiting temples is your main agenda, then staying in kumbakonam makes sense. From here almost all the temples are accessible within short distance.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:16   #126
BHPian

A request for guidance on the optimal route from Bangalore to Swamimalai. I am driving with three super senior citizens in a fortnight's time. Because of their presence, the criteria (in that order of importance) for route selection is

- Quickest possible time to reach
- Decent loo stops every 2 hours or so
- Less bumpy roads

I am expecting that it would be Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Perambalur-Ariyalur-T.Palur-Kumbakonam as Ravi has reported a few posts ago, but I thought I would check with the stalwarts - Amp, Ravi, Suresh.

Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:34   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

I am expecting that it would be Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Perambalur-Ariyalur-T.Palur-Kumbakonam as Ravi has reported a few posts ago,
Better to go via Ulundurpet/Vridhachalam. Simply because you have more break points available. Esp if senior folks want to opt for more frequent bio-breaks.

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2015 at 12:37.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 12:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A request for guidance on the optimal route from Bangalore to Swamimalai. I am driving with three super senior citizens in a fortnight's time. Because of their presence, the criteria (in that order of importance) for route selection is

- Less bumpy roads

I am expecting that it would be Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Perambalur-Ariyalur-T.Palur-Kumbakonam as Ravi has reported a few posts ago, but I thought I would check with the stalwarts - Amp, Ravi, Suresh.

Thanks
I would suggest via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Salem and then take NH79 all the way till Ulundurpet town and then head towards Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan and T Polur.
Do note that on NH79 (Salem-Ulundurpet NH) apart from Ramas veg near Attur, you do not have any other option to break for food. That is the only drawback on this stretch. So plan accordingly.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 16:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Less bumpy roads

Thanks
Since you are traveling with very senior citizens, i would agree with Ampere and Suresh to take Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayankondam-Kumbakonam route.

The main reason is in this route for sure, you will have a place/major town to break in 2 hours gap. But, please note that better you budget for atleast 8 hours journey assuming you can't do high speeds and need frequent breaks. So you can meet the last 2 criteria, but not the first.

As suresh mentioned, between Salem to Ulundurpet, the only good place to break is Ramas cafe after attur. It will come on to your left. So don't miss that.

Swamimalai is just 7 kms from Kumbakonam and is about 15 minutes drive, so obviously it makes sense to break & stay at Kumbakonam, before you proceed to temple.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 22:41   #130
BHPian

Thanks very much Ampere, Suresh, Ravi. I never cease to be amazed at how helpful you guys are.

In line with your guidance, that's the route I'll take. I suspect there will be nothing new to report on the route as it is well covered in this thread; so I'll only report in the event of finding something different.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:03   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks very much Ampere, Suresh, Ravi. I never cease to be amazed at how helpful you guys are.

In line with your guidance, that's the route I'll take. I suspect there will be nothing new to report on the route as it is well covered in this thread; so I'll only report in the event of finding something different.
Some places to stay in Kumbakonam:

- Rayas
- PLA Residency
- Sara Regency.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would suggest via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Salem and then take NH79 all the way till Ulundurpet town and then head towards Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan and T Polur.
Did NHAI revert back to the old numbering for the highways? Google maps shows this stretch as NH68 and all other highways too are marked with the earlier numbering. And I can't believe that Google has not yet updated it because I have seen in Gmaps few months back that this stretch was marked as NH79.
Old 16th April 2015, 23:17   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Did NHAI revert back to the old numbering for the highways? Google maps shows this stretch as NH68 and all other highways too are marked with the earlier numbering. And I can't believe that Google has not yet updated it because I have seen in Gmaps few months back that this stretch was marked as NH79.
Yes its quite confusing. Some how I still feel comfortable with old numbers. The instant some one says NH79, I think Ajmer-Chittor-Ratlam-Indore!
Old 16th April 2015, 23:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes its quite confusing. Some how I still feel comfortable with old numbers. The instant some one says NH79, I think Ajmer-Chittor-Ratlam-Indore!
Completely agree. I too never got hang on the new numbers.

Okay. I checked on NHAI website and I only see the old numbering system.

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-nh68.jpg

Source - http://www.nhai.org/statewise2.htm#
Old 17th April 2015, 18:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree. Why the heck they want to change the NH numbers and confuse everyone, as if we are running short of numbers.

I would always prefer older numbers so that atleast i don't confuse others
But google misleads me sometimes....

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks