Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam and near by places. Need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks ampere. Does this road is good for a WagonR ?
Yes it is good enough for any car.

Ramki, You will get most of your queries answered in below threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...road-trip.html

Take a look and see if that helps !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

places to stay and food options(we are pure vegetarians) on the way.

Please help.

thanks,
Ramki
I had done the Navagraha darshans ( the famous trip - covering each of the 9 planets).

The place of stay that i would recommend is Hotel Rayas, Kumbakonam. Acco is quite decent. I didnt have food with them at all. There were 2 Old time "mess" kind of places ( i am not getting the names now but will PM you), where we had some fabulous food.

What i also did was to take a Cab from Rayas itself for the Navagraha darshans. They know the shortcuts and the right places for food as well. Not sure if time permits for you to do this, i t might take 1.5 days to complete this.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
The only bad stretch is between Tanjore-Kumbakonam. Two lane, mostly divider less, twisty roads. Lot of potholes as well. This is the status couple of months back.
I'm from Thanjavur....and for the past FIFTY years this road has been like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
There were 2 Old time "mess" kind of places ( i am not getting the names now but will PM you), where we had some fabulous food.
Two good places to have vegetarian food in Kumbakonam:
  • Hotel Meenakshi Bhavan
  • Hotel Venkatanarayana

The later has been around in Kumbakonam for over sixty years now. It was earlier called "Venkata Lodge".

Also, while in Kumbakonam, don't forget to try the "Panankalkandu Paal"

Last edited by Tempelhof : 3rd August 2013 at 13:32.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Having 3 days off next weekend, we family of 4 want to travel to Kumbakonam, Srirangam, Tanjavur and near by places.
Need information regarding the best route to be taken, places to stay and food options(we are pure vegetarians) on the way.
From Google maps i'm seeing the route if Kumbakonam is the preferred destination as below: Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Salem->Attur->Kumbakonam

Please help.

thanks,
Ramki
I will be on this route on 9th August morning from ITPL to Vaitheeswaran Koil. My route will be ITPL - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Virudhaachalam - Chidambaram - Seerkaazhi - Vaitheeswaran Koil. Planning to start at around 0530 and reach the destination at about 1230.

If you wish to see the Navagraha Temples, you'll need about 1.5 days; to see the major temples in and around Kumbakonam, you'll need at least a week; you'll need about a day to see the temples around Thanjavur and about two days to see the temples around Trichy. So, depending upon your available time, plan your temples well in advance (e.g., see http://www.templenet.com/ ). If you need very detailed help send me a PM.

If you wish to see the Navagraha Temples you must stay in Mayavaram (aka Mayiladuthurai). Hotel PAMS is a good place to stay in Mayavaram. Hotel Akshardham is a good place to stay in Vaitheeswaran Koil. Hotel Rayas is a good place to stay in Kumbakonam. Hotel Ramyaas is where I normally stay in Trichy.

Have a great trip - may be we'll meet on the road - look out for a Purple Civic !!
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 13:53   #65
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Guys,
Thanks so much for the kind replies. However, our plans have changed, now there are only 2 days for us have a temple vacation. Hence, we have chosen to go to Kanchipuram. Will query on that thread.

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 19th April 2014, 14:25   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any update on the current conditions of route to Kumbhakonam? Which is the best route in terms of road conditions currently?
Old 19th April 2014, 15:36   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys any update on the current conditions of route to Kumbhakonam? Which is the best route in terms of road conditions currently?
I think the best option is :

Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-KMU. 45C is in good condition as per what I read.
Old 19th April 2014, 20:20   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the best option is :

Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam-Sethiarthope-KMU. 45C is in good condition as per what I read.
Thanks.The google maps takes a direct route from Vridhachalam to KMU. How is that route?
Old 19th April 2014, 20:50   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks.The google maps takes a direct route from Vridhachalam to KMU. How is that route?
The road is good. But take during daytime. Because finding exit at night may become difficult. I think @ravib been on this and I remember him mentioning that the road is a bit rough towards Veppur. Do check with him too.
Old 25th April 2014, 14:47   #70
BHPian

I took two different routes from Bangalore to Kumbakonam.

1. The onward, we went through Trichy (took Karur and finally via sand mafia territory). The roads were very good except for the sand trucks. Took us 7.5 hours to Trichy with breaks.

2. For the return, we took Kumbakonam --> Jayamkondan --> Vierudhachalam --> Salem -->Bangalore. This was an excellent route except for about 15 kms stretch before Jeyamkondan. Took us only 7 hours with multiple breaks.
Old 25th April 2014, 15:28   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriram.raghavan View Post
2. For the return, we took Kumbakonam --> Jayamkondan --> Vierudhachalam --> Salem -->Bangalore. This was an excellent route except for about 15 kms stretch before Jeyamkondan. Took us only 7 hours with multiple breaks.
- This is one of the better options. How was bridge on Cauvery? I presume you went via T Palur?
- Mostly I have read people taking the Anaikarai option
Old 25th April 2014, 17:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- This is one of the better options. How was bridge on Cauvery? I presume you went via T Palur?
- Mostly I have read people taking the Anaikarai option
Ampere, if you are referring to the Madanathur cauvery bridge, it is excellent and well constructed cauvery bridge. Too good.

However, while traveling from KMU towards Jayankondam, after crossing the bridge, road condition deteriorates and is bad between T.Palur and Jayankondam. Beyond Jayankondam till V.koot road aka Veppur Koot road via Vridhachalam, decent roads but patchy then & there.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 17:09   #73
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning for a road trip to KMU ( Thirumeyachur Lalithambika temple ), starting on May 29th.

Based on the latest updates on this thread, I plan to take the route:
Krishnagiri->Salem->Attur->Virudhachalam->Jayankondam->KMU

and stay at Hotel Raya's.

Planning to return by the same route.

Can anyone please update if the route is fine? I'll be driving my Ertiga.

If ETD is 5:00 AM, assuming 1 breakfast break, 1 lunch and 1 tea break, totalling 1.5hrs, what would be an approximate ETA at KMU?

Also, the thread says gas stations are few and also they might not accept cards. Is this still the case? In which case, it's better to tank up at Salem, right?

Thanks for your help.
Old 19th May 2014, 18:48   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
Based on the latest updates on this thread, I plan to take the route:
Krishnagiri->Salem->Attur->Virudhachalam->Jayankondam->KMU

Can anyone please update if the route is fine? I'll be driving my Ertiga.
Yes thats the correct route. Easiest and the best.

Quote:
If ETD is 5:00 AM, assuming 1 breakfast break, 1 lunch and 1 tea break, totalling 1.5hrs, what would be an approximate ETA at KMU?
5AM start : Salem : 8AM (BF)
9AM start from Salem : Vridhachalam (150km) 11:30

Vridhachalam-KMU : 80km : 2 hours.

You should be able to make it to KMU for a late lunch.

Quote:
Also, the thread says gas stations are few and also they might not accept cards. Is this still the case? In which case, it's better to tank up at Salem, right?
Carrying cash is always safer option. I think there should be enough bunks.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 19:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats the correct route. Easiest and the best.

5AM start : Salem : 8AM (BF)
9AM start from Salem : Vridhachalam (150km) 11:30

Vridhachalam-KMU : 80km : 2 hours.

You should be able to make it to KMU for a late lunch.

Carrying cash is always safer option. I think there should be enough bunks.
Some more updates based on my usual timings in this route. I usually take max 6.5 hours including one break for about 45 minutes to 1 hour in my i20.

5 am start, can easily make you to reach KMU by 11:30 max 12 pm, including 1 hour break.

One word of caution: The roads between Salem to Thalaivasal (till you exit NH) is a mix of 2L & 4L, so watch out for opposite direction traffic. Keep your speed limits under control (below 120 for sure). Also note that, the road conditions from Jayankondam to T.Palur is not good which will slow you done. Not sure, if they have laid new roads due to elections.

I don't see any problem with gas stations availability throughout, unless you are particular about filling in one company/COCO outlets. At Thoppur, the BP COCO outlet do accept cards and guess most of the gas stations in salem as well. However, as ampere mentioned, better to keep cash just in case.

For hotel option, you can also opt for Hotel PL.A Residency which is also a very good hotel diagnolly opposite to railway station in KMU.

I'll be traveling to Thirumeeyachur temple next thursday (29th May) evening from KMU, but mostly by train from Bangalore to KMU and then from KMU to Thirumeeyachur by cab hired in KMU. Hope we can meet, if the time sync.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks