Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 20:11   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Folks,

I returned to Bangalore last night. Here is the update on my trip from Bangalore to Kumbakonam on 7-Feb-2015. Left C.V.Raman Nagar home at 6.30 am (i know its late but got delayed due to hectic work in previous days) and reached Kumbakonam at 2 pm which includes a cumulative break time of 1.5 hours. That makes a total driving time of 6 hours.

As mentioned earlier, i took below route

Route - 1 : Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Perambalur-Ariyalur-V.Kaikatti-T.Palur-Kumbakonam

Overall, in the above route, i would say the road condition is 80% very good, 10% excellent and 10% average. When i say average, it doesn't mean the road has potholes. The road surface is rough and patchy/slightly bumpy but manageable to drive in good speeds (read 4th and 5th gears)

Specific details on different sections in the above route:

Nothing special to talk about Bangalore-Salem-Attur.
Attur-Perambalur => The roads are very good and few places excellent.Scenic drive too.
Perambalur-Ariyalur =>The road conditions are very good and few places average.
Ariyalur-T.Palur => The road conditions are good and average.
Road construction is going on in initial few kilometers short stretches which should be completed in another 2 to 3 weeks or so.
T.Palur-Kumbakonam => Very good

So, in short i would say this route is really a good alternative with almost same kms in distance compared to Attur-V.Koot Road-Vridhachalam-Jayankondam-T.Palur route.

Though you won't save much in terms of time, but all you get is decent roads throughout. For me the driving time is almost same in both the routes. The downside is that there are more turns in this route which is not the case via Vridhachalam-Jayankonam route that is pretty straightforward.

If they relay new roads in the V.Koot Road-Vridhachalam section, obviously that will become first choice, but since that is not the case now as it has horrible roads , the next best alternative with same distance is this route via Perambalur and Ariyalur. If you don't mind driving about another 35 to 40 kms longer, going via Attur-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayankondam is another choice.

-Ravi
Hi Ravi

Good to know that you completed your trip to kumbakonam without any hazzles. The reason being Meensurrty-Kumbakonam route is the first choice as against this route.

Right from T Polur to Perambalur, is the road full of twists and turns. From the map it looks like there are not many villages enroute. So traffic would be relatively less.

Have they relaid T Polur-Kumbakonam road or is it patched up only.
Old 16th February 2015, 22:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Hi Ravi

Good to know that you completed your trip to kumbakonam without any hazzles. The reason being Meensurrty-Kumbakonam route is the first choice as against this route.

Right from T Polur to Perambalur, is the road full of twists and turns. From the map it looks like there are not many villages enroute. So traffic would be relatively less.

Have they relaid T Polur-Kumbakonam road or is it patched up only.
Yes perambalur to T.Palur - only few villages enroute so not much traffic.

I don't recollect exactly whether they relaid or patched it from T.Palur to Kumbakonam but i don't think it was patched, because it was not a bumpy ride. So i think they relaid it when they fixed the worst stretches of infamous T.Palur pot holes

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 06:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Yes perambalur to T.Palur - only few villages enroute so not much traffic.

I don't recollect exactly whether they relaid or patched it from T.Palur to Kumbakonam but i don't think it was patched, because it was not a bumpy ride. So i think they relaid it when they fixed the worst stretches of infamous T.Palur pot holes

-Ravi
Ravi, One more query

From Attur there is a road via Manjini that connects to Perambalur. I think you proceeded further on NH79 and after paying toll at the second toll plaza and then took a right turn.
Anything specific as to why you avoided the Manjini route ??
Old 17th February 2015, 08:12   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Attur there is a road via Manjini that connects to Perambalur. I think you proceeded further on NH79 and after paying toll at the second toll plaza and then took a right turn.
Anything specific as to why you avoided the Manjini route ??
He took Manjini road only (The main Attur-Perumbalur road) and thats what I think he said he found to be very narrow till Veeraganur. Hence his suggestion to go further up on the 4-lane till Thalaivasal and take to road directly to Veeraganur.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 12:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
He took Manjini road only (The main Attur-Perumbalur road) and thats what I think he said he found to be very narrow till Veeraganur. Hence his suggestion to go further up on the 4-lane till Thalaivasal and take to road directly to Veeraganur.
Exactly. Ampere answered for me

To be precise, the roads in and around Manjini are very very narrow in this stretch in the entire Attur-Veeraganur road.

Hence better to avoid Manjini and other villages between Attur till Veeraganur.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 18:35   #111
BHPian

Folks,

I am planning an itinerary starting Good Friday with first leg from Bangalore to Koothanur (Saraswati temple), What is the best route? and what time should I start to make to temple around 10:30- 11 a.m. (Not a very fast driver and no credible GPS in hand).
Old 30th March 2015, 19:40   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Folks,

I am planning an itinerary starting Good Friday with first leg from Bangalore to Koothanur (Saraswati temple), What is the best route? and what time should I start to make to temple around 10:30- 11 a.m. (Not a very fast driver and no credible GPS in hand).
If you need good roads:

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Tanjore-Needamangalam-Thiruvarur-Koothanur

Route Link

This has good roads all the way.

- Bangalalore-Namakkal full 4-lane.
- Namakkal-Kannanur-Thuraiyur bypass - Trichy : Very good 2-lane roads.
- Trichy-Tanjore : 4-lane
- Tanjore-Thiruvarur : Good 2-lane.

Needamangalam has some traffic. Hence can be a bit of trouble crossing the town.

Last edited by ampere : 30th March 2015 at 19:44.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 10:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Hi Vizay,

Assuming you are going to take your kid, i don't think it would be a good plan to start from Bangalore and drive down directly to the temple, which closes around 10.30 am.

Remember, the winding roads in and around Tanjore/Nagapattinam/Thiruvarur districts along with traffic in major town/villlage will slow you down, so i don't think it is practical to drive directly to temple from Bangalore.

Instead, i would suggest you to take a break and halt the previous night, either at Kumbakonam or at Thiruvarur depending on your remaining itinerary. Next day morning, get ready and go to temple with good energy & fresh mind. IMPO, i don't see a point in driving for several hours and when we reach the destination we will be tired and not fresh enough for the primary purpose of traveling down. My 2 cents...

You can read through many posts in this thread about accommodation and road conditions. Let me know, if you need any additional information.

Incase, if you break at Kumbakonam, the route from Kumbakonam to Saraswati temple would be
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

I travelled in this route and visited the temple last month (in Feb'15) and the roads are good.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 15:45   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks,

Ravi has a very valid point with regards to when you can make it to the temple. I am very sure, as he says, it would be extremely difficult to make it by morning time. So best would be to check in to a hotel by noon at Kumbakonam. And drive to the temple after lunch.

Its about 40km from Kumbakonam via Peralam. You can also visit the Lalitambigai temple at Peralam while on the way.

You can look at Rayas or PLA residency for stay options.

On how to get to Kumbakonam : Check with Ravi. I am sure he has tonnes of options!
Easiest is : Salem-Attur-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-KMU

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2015 at 15:48.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 19:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I would suggest you to stay in kumbakonam. If you wish to shell out money on toll, then follow NH7 till Salem , then take the NH all the way to Ulundurpet, then head towards Vriddhachalam, Jayankondam. From here you have the option of going via T Polur or take a left from Jayankondam towards Meensurrty. From here then take a right towards Anaikarai to Kumbakonam.

If you wish to enjoy the drive on the SH, then take a diversion towards Kambainallur from Krishnagiri. Then go via Morappur, Harur,Thanipadi till you reach GH in T V Malai. From here take the Tirukkoilur by pass road till you reach Ulundurpet.
From here it is the usual route to kumbakonam.

I would suggest you to stay near Uppiliappan temple rather than in Kumbakonam town.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:49   #116
BHPian

Thanks to all for suggestions. My final plan made us travel from Bangalore to Vaitheeswaran koil directly. Took Blr-Salem-Attur-Kallakurichi-Ulundurpet-Virudachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-V.Koil. Roads from Virudachalam to Chidambaram (~40 k.m.) are full of pot holes. Avoid at any cost.

ECR after Sirkazhi is strictly single road. Inner roads were better in some places compared to ECR.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:54   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all for suggestions. My final plan made us travel from Bangalore to Vaitheeswaran koil directly. Took Blr-Salem-Attur-Kallakurichi-Ulundurpet-Virudachalam-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-V.Koil. Roads from Virudachalam to Chidambaram (~40 k.m.) are full of pot holes. Avoid at any cost.

ECR after Sirkazhi is strictly single road. Inner roads were better in some places compared to ECR.
What was your journey time. Is the Vriddhachalam-Chidamabaram road comparable to that of the dreaded Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai road ??
Old 7th April 2015, 14:55   #118
Senior - BHPian

The other option would have been to go till Tirukkoilur and then go Via Panruti, Cuddalore and Chidambaram.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 7th April 2015 at 14:57.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:06   #119
BHPian

Quote:
What was your journey time. Is the Vriddhachalam-Chidamabaram road comparable to that of the dreaded Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai road ??
Started at 5 in the morning. Reached v.Koil at 1:30 p.m. Took totally an hour break at two places. That makes it a 7.5 hrs drive. (On a better day it can be done in 6.5 hrs or less. I lost about 30 mins in Hosur due to two broken trucks & piled up traffic. Some tolls were crowded. Generally driving slow as it was first time on to these areas)

I haven't done Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai in recent past. But there is no continuous stretch of 50 m without crossing set of potholes. I was at best keeping pace with scooter who can at least find his way by weaving from left to right. (Read as 30 kmph or less)

will surely look for other options, have to visit again in another 1-2 months. Thanks.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:14   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Started at 5 in the morning. Reached v.Koil at 1:30 p.m. Took totally an hour break at two places. That makes it a 7.5 hrs drive. (On a better day it can be done in 6.5 hrs or less. I lost about 30 mins in Hosur due to two broken trucks & piled up traffic. Some tolls were crowded. Generally driving slow as it was first time on to these areas)
Were you able to stick to the timings for the rest of the temples? How did that go? Also I hope you had a pleasant stay at KMU

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks