Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 11:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes Harur is a big town. However the bypass has no hotels which I am aware off. You need to get into town closer to bus stand (The usual places).
I spotted a Saravana Hotel in Harur through Google Map. Has anyone been here before

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-harur-hotel.png
Old 20th July 2016, 00:22   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Please note roads around Vridhachalam are not all that great. But still thats the best option you have for Kumbakonam.
Chidambaram-Bangalore per Google maps routing is via Vridhachalam. If roads are not all that great and potholed as per earlier posts, could you suggest an alternative route that permits a smooth ride ? Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 03:20   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Chidambaram-Bangalore per Google maps routing is via Vridhachalam. If roads are not all that great and potholed as per earlier posts, could you suggest an alternative route that permits a smooth ride ? Thanks
I'd stick to the Vriddachalam route. The other option is via Pondy-Cuddalore, which works only if you are doing off timings, due to the traffic on Pondy-Cuddalore section.
Old 20th July 2016, 07:09   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is not much option there. You have to go via Vridhchalam. Its about 80km of a rough ride. But clear good roads beyond.
Old 20th July 2016, 09:47   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
There is not much option there. You have to go via Vridhchalam. Its about 80km of a rough ride. But clear good roads beyond.
I travelled on that strecth in May and road laying work was on in full-swing. It is likely to have been completed by now. And the bad stretch was not 80km, if I recall correctly. More like 20-30 kms.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 10:50   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Either you have to go via Vriddhachalam or via Cuddalore. I would recommend the Vriddhachalam route to Chidambaram. But here lies the problem. If you take NH79 (Salem -Ulundurpet NH) after Thalaivasal till Vriddhachalam by pass (NH 532), the road is horrible.
Then to avoid this you have to go from Thalaivasal to Kallakurichi, Ulundurpet to Vriddhachalam.
I can suggest you another route.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Singarapettai, Chengam, T V Malai, Tirukkoilur by pass, Ulundurpet to Vriddhachalam

Now the regular NH66 is vastly improved and infact I travelled on the Polur-Chengam-Singarapettai stretch in the last week of May. Very good roads to drive
Old 20th July 2016, 11:51   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I'd stick to the Vriddachalam route.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I travelled on that strecth in May and road laying work was on in full-swing. It is likely to have been completed by now. And the bad stretch was not 80km, if I recall correctly. More like 20-30 kms.
that is, indeed, good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would recommend the Vriddhachalam route to Chidambaram.
Thank you all for the updates. Vriddhachalam it is.

Cheers
Old 25th August 2016, 07:41   #188
Team-BHP Support

Guys please note, the Anaikarai bridge over Kollidam is now closed for 4 wheelers. You need to use the Jayamkondam T-Palur road to Kumbakonam.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 20:24   #189
BHPian

Hi All -
I am planning to visit Kumbakonam from Bangalore in the 1st week of December.
Anyone travelled recently ?
Is the best route via Salem-Attur-Jayakondam-Kumbakonam ?

Please advice.

raghu
Old 24th November 2016, 21:17   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Anyone travelled recently ?
Is the best route via Salem-Attur-Jayakondam-Kumbakonam ?
Yes this is good. Only updates:

- Use V Koot Road-Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass instead of Ulundurpet.
- This section as reported on the forum is now good
- Anakarai is closed for 4 wheelers.
- Hence you should use T Palur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 22:13   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is good. Only updates:

- Use V Koot Road-Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass instead of Ulundurpet.
- This section as reported on the forum is now good
- Anakarai is closed for 4 wheelers.
- Hence you should use T Palur.
+1
One minor correction/update. One of my friend traveled during Deepavali time and confirmed that cars were allowed in Anaikarai bridge. So check at Jayankondam 4 road junction whether to take left to go via Anaikarai or continue straight to go via T.Palur route.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 10:18   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
One minor correction/update. One of my friend traveled during Deepavali time and confirmed that cars were allowed in Anaikarai bridge. So check at Jayankondam 4 road junction whether to take left to go via Anaikarai or continue straight to go via T.Palur route.

Good data point! Between Aug and Nov this change happened looks like. I went all the way till Anakarai only to be turned down. And then I had to retract to T-Palur. This definitely helps for Kumbakonam. But if one is heading further east its a big set back. One to cover all that extra distance and secondly cover all that traffic prone Kumbakonam bypass section and further down.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:32   #193
Senior - BHPian

Did a quick Bangalore-Kumbakonam-Bangalore trip to attend a condolence.

Left Bangalore at 7 am on Monday 19-Dec-2016 and reached Kumbakonam by 1.30 with 1 hour break at A2B Thoppur for breakfast and refuelling. On the way, till Krishnagiri dense fog was there even till 9 am so the speed was slow for all vehicles.

Took the standard Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Attur-Thalaivasal-V.Koot Road (NH532)-Veppur-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-T.Palur-Kumbakonam route and effective driving time was about 5.30 minutes.

Yesterday did the return journey but this time took Kumbakonam bypass-Anaikarai-GangaiKondaCholapuram-Jayankondam-Vridhachalam-Thalaivasal-Attur-Salem-Bangalore. Traffic is allowed for all vehicles in Anaikarai both directions but controlled/managed by police with walkie-talkie.

Here are the timings.

Kumbakonam Bypass (Naal Road signal) ~ 1 pm
Vridhachalam - 2 pm
Exit NH532 to Join NH79 V.Koot Road - 2.33 pm
Salem - 3.25 pm
Took about 20 minutes to cross salem by pass from Madurai/Ulundurpet bridge to Grand Estancia.
Reached Thoppur A2B - 4.15 pm
10 minutes break for refuellinga and 20 minutes break for Snacks/Tea.
Left Thoppur A2B - 4.45 pm
EC Toll - 6.15 pm
Silkboard - 6.30 pm
And after that usual weekday city traffic took 1 hour to reach home at C.V.Raman Nagar at 7.35 pm.

The newly laid NH532 connecting road from V.Koot Road till Cuddalore via Veppur & Vridhachalam is awesome to drive with negligible traffic. However, you need to be careful on 2 things.
1) Monkeys crossing road suddenly so watch out for that.
2) The last 5 to 10 kilometers before Veppur (That cuts the NH45 Chennai-Trichy highway) while going towards vridhachalam - drive carefully because the farmers occupy complete one single lane in this 2L road for drying rice grains and they keep working. They also keep stones to protect, so you are left with one lane for both directions traffic.

Of late, after this new road is laid, i noticed there are lot of bus traffic between Salem to Chidambaram via cuddalore which was not a sight in last few years in my previous travels.

Overall, we can do Bangalore-Kumbakonam in about 6 hours to 6.30 in a normal day and if lucky/time it well, can be done in 5.30 hours. Thanks to new NH532 road.

PS: FASTag works best in all tolls between Bangalore to Kumbakonam.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 23:49   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
The newly laid NH532 connecting road from V.Koot Road till Cuddalore via Veppur & Vridhachalam is awesome to drive with negligible traffic. However, you need to be careful on 2 things.
Now that the NH532 has been relaid afresh, I guess this can be the fastest route to Cuddalore as against the route via Tirukkoilur, Panruti.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding

Last edited by ampere : 1st January 2017 at 10:54.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:07   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Now that the NH532 has been relaid afresh, I guess this can be the fastest route to Cuddalore as against the route via Tirukkoilur, Panruti.
Yes indeed. Even to reach Chidambaram/Vaitheeswaran koil or further down in ECR, this is the fastest from Bangalore/Salem route IMO.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks