Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2017, 13:34   #211
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Planning to do a BLR- Kumbhakonam trip next weekend to attend a marriage.
We are planning to do a stop over at Tanjaore and also want to see Kaveri . Pls suggest the best route and good place where we can see Kaveri.
1. BLR- Kumbhakonam :- Best route
2. BLR-Tanjore-Kumbhakonam- Best route.

Regards,
gopi
Old 19th October 2017, 13:40   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
We are planning to do a stop over at Tanjaore and also want to see Kaveri . Pls suggest the best route and good place where we can see Kaveri.
If you plan to go via Tanjore. Trichy is the best place.

Quote:
1. BLR- Kumbhakonam :- Best route
Bangalore-Salem-Thalaivasal-Veppur- Vriddhachalam Bypass - Jayamkondam-T Palur - Kumbakonam

Quote:
2. BLR-Tanjore-Kumbhakonam- Best route.
Bangalore-Salem-(Karur or Thuraiyur)-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 13:44   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you plan to go via Tanjore. Trichy is the best place.

Bangalore-Salem-Thalaivasal-Veppur- Vriddhachalam Bypass - Jayamkondam-T Palur - Kumbakonam

Bangalore-Salem-(Karur or Thuraiyur)-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam
Hi Ampere,

The first route which you mentioned, is it passing via Attur ? . Will be able to see Kaveri via the first route ?
Old 19th October 2017, 13:57   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The first route which you mentioned, is it passing via Attur ? . Will be able to see Kaveri via the first route ?
At Trichy Cauvery breaks into Kollidam. You will go past that bridge on the T Palur-Kumbakonam stretch. Only small stream section can be seen at Kumbakonam of the original Cauvery. The big stream of Cauvery is possible only at Trichy I think.

Another thought is to take the Old SH22 (Trichy-Kallanai route) where you see Cauvery at Grand Anicut again.

But it would be good to check how the released water is holding up. Though there is enough inflow into Mettur, I dont know if down stream water has been released.
Old 19th October 2017, 14:03   #215
BHPian

Quote:
At Trichy Cauvery breaks into Kollidam. You will go past that bridge on the T Palur-Kumbakonam stretch. Only small stream section can be seen at Kumbakonam of the original Cauvery. The big stream of Cauvery is possible only at Trichy I think.

Another thought is to take the Old SH22 (Trichy-Kallanai route) where you see Cauvery at Grand Anicut again.

But it would be good to check how the released water is holding up. Though there is enough inflow into Mettur, I dont know if down stream water has been released.
Thanks Ampere for the valuable info.
Old 19th October 2017, 18:42   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Ampere,

I would totally agree with ampere.

If your interest is just to go directly to Kumbakonam, take Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam bypass-Jayankondam route. You won't be able to see Kaveri in this route.

If your interest is to go via banks of Kaveri/Kollidam, best is to take Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy toll gate-Kallanai-Tanjore-Kumbakonam.
After Namakkal, you will be continuously driving along the banks of Kaveri for most part of the journey. I am sure you will be admired by Grand Anaicut where Kollidam for sure, as you seems to be quite interested to see its beauty. Don't miss to stop over and see it.

If you don't want to go inside Tanjore, you can continue from Thiruvaiyaru towards Kabisthalam-SwamiMalai and Kumbakonam. If you want to go to Tanjore, deviate towards right to Tanjore.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:13   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I would totally agree with ampere.

If your interest is just to go directly to Kumbakonam, take Salem-Attur-Vridhachalam bypass-Jayankondam route. You won't be able to see Kaveri in this route.

If your interest is to go via banks of Kaveri/Kollidam, best is to take Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy toll gate-Kallanai-Tanjore-Kumbakonam.
After Namakkal, you will be continuously driving along the banks of Kaveri for most part of the journey. I am sure you will be admired by Grand Anaicut where Kollidam for sure, as you seems to be quite interested to see its beauty. Don't miss to stop over and see it.

If you don't want to go inside Tanjore, you can continue from Thiruvaiyaru towards Kabisthalam-SwamiMalai and Kumbakonam. If you want to go to Tanjore, deviate towards right to Tanjore.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi for the update. I really want to see Kaveri flowing through those areas. Last time I visited , there was no water and only sand. Any idea whether water is flowing from Mettur?
Old 20th October 2017, 17:45   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi for the update. I really want to see Kaveri flowing through those areas.
Kaveri does flow alongside SH25 from Musiri to Uthamar koil IIRC. There is a long bridge between Kulithalai and Musiri that is across Kaveri, which connects NH67 (Trichy-Karur-CBE highway) and SH25 (Trichy-Musiri-Thottiyam-Namakkal).

Alongside SH25 it looks like stream and you cannot expect huge flow though. This is how I've seen in years of visiting that area.

On SH25 across the road from Gunaseelam Perumal temple, you can even get down and get your foot wet. This part is only a small branch of the river.

Vathalai on SH25 (2 km downstream from Gunaseelam) is one point where you can get down and watch from a foot overbridge. I haven't personally done this though.

Anything more dramatic than that, you have to pray for a good Northeast monsoon where Trichy gets a lot of rains. My parents have seen Kollidam (which is normally dry) in spate twice in their life in 1977 and 2005.
Old 20th October 2017, 18:12   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi for the update. I really want to see Kaveri flowing through those areas. Last time I visited , there was no water and only sand. Any idea whether water is flowing from Mettur?
Just spoke to one of my friend in Sri Rangam. She mentioned lots of water flowing this year, thanks to good but late SW monsoon. Also TN government ordered to open Mettur since Oct 2nd for agriculture work. So you will see good water flowing this year. All the best

I am also planning to go Trichy next weekend. Planning to take Musiri route this time instead of Thuraiyur road, just because of waters. So can confirm in person when i return back.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 15:55   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Last time I visited , there was no water and only sand. Any idea whether water is flowing from Mettur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Just spoke to one of my friend in Sri Rangam. She mentioned lots of water flowing this year, thanks to good but late SW monsoon. Also TN government ordered to open Mettur since Oct 2nd for agriculture work. So you will see good water flowing this year. All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerk View Post
Enroute to Trichy, you will pass the bridge over Cauvery river and it is a treat to see the river bed- brimming in water rather than just mud.
Made my day! Please guys post some snaps. Would be great see the river revived.
Old 21st October 2017, 18:25   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Made my day! Please guys post some snaps. Would be great see the river revived.
Instantly granted
Just received this snap today as coincidence.

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-kaveri-today.jpg

More snaps to treat your eyes with Kaveri tributaries in and around Kumbakonam. Few are from Thiruvaiyaru. What a sight after so many years!

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-kaveri1.jpg

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-kaveri2.jpg

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-kaveri3.jpg

Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries-kaveri4.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 21st October 2017 at 22:05. Reason: back to back posts merged.
ravib is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 00:20   #222
BHPian

Folks, how are the current conditions on this route. I have to drive tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs on the best drive able route.
Old 10th December 2017, 00:25   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Folks, how are the current conditions on this route. I have to drive tomorrow. Appreciate your inputs on the best drive able route.
Good all the way !

Bangalore-Salem- V Koot Road - Veppur - Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam- T Palur - Kumbonam.

You should be able to manage in about 6/6.5 hours.
Old 10th December 2017, 08:38   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Good all the way !

Bangalore-Salem- V Koot Road - Veppur - Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam- T Palur - Kumbonam.

You should be able to manage in about 6/6.5 hours.
Great, thanks. My Dad's trusted taxi driver had informed him that none of the routes from Virudhachalam to Kumbakonam were good after the rains. Hence asked.
Old 10th December 2017, 10:56   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Great, thanks. My Dad's trusted taxi driver had informed him that none of the routes from Virudhachalam to Kumbakonam were good after the rains. Hence asked.
I dont know if the current rains has the changed the status so dramatically. But the Virudhachalam to Kumbakonam road is pretty wide and good to go to worse so bad so soon.

We should check with more real time info as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks