Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2018, 16:41   #256
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Any recent advice on route from Bangalore to Kumbakonam and hotel stay at kumbakonam. Raya's grand is where i stayed about 3 yrs back. seems full now. Any other good alternatives with family - elders and kids.?
Old 15th December 2018, 21:34   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Any recent advice on route from Bangalore to Kumbakonam and hotel stay at kumbakonam. Raya's grand is where i stayed about 3 yrs back. seems full now. Any other good alternatives with family - elders and kids.?
The Same route: Salem - V Koot Road - Veppur - Vridhachalam bypass - Jayamkondam - T Palur - Kumbakonam

Hotel: Look at Sara Regency. I have stayed 2-3 times. Decent place.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 12:47   #258
BHPian

Accompanied my wife and her troupe who performed in various temples around Kumbakonam for the Mahasivarathri Natyanjali festival.

The organisers accomodated us in Hotel Athithya - opp to : Someshwara temple. Seemed a decent place with good old fashioned rooms and a spacious car parking also. They dont have a restaurant of their own.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 11:16   #259
BHPian

Not really sure if this is the correct thread for this query.

What is the 'current' best route to Vaitheeswarankoil from Bangalore?
Till Virudhachalam bypass it is straightforward.
However, I am unsure over present status of Virudhachalam-Sethiyathope-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeswarankoil.

Is this one better presently?: Virudhachalam-Jayamkondan-Gangaikondacholapuram-Meensurutty-Anaikarai- take left from NH36 to SH150 -Pandanallur-Vaitheeswarankoil.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:34   #260
BHPian

I Visited Kumbakonam for the temple visits a year back. Stayed at DSR Madhanam.

DSR is a bit away from the town but stay was pleasant and good food.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:56   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Vaitheeswarankoil from Bangalore?
Beyond Vriddachalam. Vriddachalam-Kullanchavadi (is on same highway continuing to Cuddalore)-MDR 199-ECR-Chidambaram bypass-Sirkazhi bypass-Vaitheeswaran Koil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Stayed at DSR Madhanam.
I loved the food at their restaurant. Planning to stay just for that Rates are tad expensive I thought.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 21:13   #262
BHPian

Can anyone tell the present condition of SH70 route between Chidambaram and Vridachalam? I am travelling from Tirukadaiyur to Chennai tomorrow and planning to take this route to get to Veppur and onto 4L highway. Upon reading this thread I think this SH70 stretch was not good earlier. While coming, took the Pondicherry Cuddalore route and but would like to avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th May 2019, 23:17   #263
BHPian

The route is very good.. We travelled to Chidambaram in Jan this year thru Virudhachalam-Neyveli-Kullanchavadi-Alapakkam(ECR) - Chidambaram
Rajesh K R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 05:38   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
The route is very good.. We travelled to Chidambaram in Jan this year thru Virudhachalam-Neyveli-Kullanchavadi-Alapakkam(ECR) - Chidambaram
Vridhchalam-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram was the pain point. Looks like instead of that which is the straight route and has always been described to be in tatters you went towards Cuddalore and turned back to Chidambaram.

I hope the Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram gets fixed at some point in time.

This helps! Thanks for sharing.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:11   #265
BHPian

Yes.. We were advised not to go via Sethiyatope, And suggested this route. We now have travelled 4 times comfortably using the same route over the last two years
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 22:36   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
VLooks like instead of that which is the straight route and has always been described to be in tatters you went towards Cuddalore and turned back to Chidambaram.
This is the route I've been using since Nov 2017 when I first tried. Here's my detailed update in the Madras-Kumbakonam thread (Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries).

Last edited by narayans80 : 17th May 2019 at 22:38.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 20:51   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
What is the 'current' best route to Vaitheeswarankoil from Bangalore?
Till Virudhachalam bypass it is straightforward.
However, I am unsure over present status of Virudhachalam-Sethiyathope-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeswarankoil.
Was looking at this thread and came across your post.

Do you really want to directly go the Vaitheeshwaran Kovil ? Wont you plan to reach Mayavaram, check into a hotel and visit the temple in the evening? So ideally you should look for option to reach Mayavaram.

If I assume that as a correct supposition, apart from Anaikarai, you can also try the Kattumannar Kovil route. Around the Kollidam bridge toward Mayavaram, it used to be broken couple of years back. Dont know how it today.

But in spite of that we could make it in about 7 hours inclusive of a break. Those days Anaikarai used to be a dicey option and hence all the circus to go around the same.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2019 at 20:55.
Old 17th October 2020, 20:27   #268
Senior - BHPian

Reviving this thread after an year.

Did a Bangalore-Kumbakonam-Bangalore trip last weekend.
Left Bangalore on 9th Oct 2020 at 12.30 pm and reached Kumbakonam at 7.30 including a 30 minutes tea break.
Similarly, left Kumbakonam on 11th Oct 2020 at 12.15 pm and reached Bangalore at 7.30 pm including a 45 minutes break at Thoppur A2B for tea break.

We timed in such a way to have early lunch and stop only for tea/rest room break.

Both ways, drove via Bangalore-Salem-Attur-V.Koot Road-Veppur-Vridhachalam bypass-Andimadam-Jayankondam-T.Palur-Kumbakonam.

As usual, road conditions are excellent or very good all throughout.

We went to Oppiliappan temple, Raghu sthalam, Nachiar Koil and Thirucherai temples on Saturday (last saturday of auspicious purattasi month). Temples were crowded but was well managed with social distancing and masks in general. Since its no longer like pre-covid type darshan, we can complete the darshan in 15 minutes to go straight , have darshan and return back.

For a different personal work, i had to drive in Poonthottam road. Its a stunning road and is now in excellent condition between Nachiar Koil to Poonthottam and is a bliss to drive. Of course its a very winding road with too many villages and multiple blind spots/speed breakers. Its not the speed i meant, but the beauty to drive in that road. Left side is cauvery tributary (Arasalar river) and right side is beautiful paddy fields and in the center, excellent tar road which is fully covered with trees in most part. Not recommended to drive in the night, but you will definitely enjoy the beauty in day time.

Few observations for others benefit:

1) There is a new A2B coming up in Attibelle, right opposite KA commercial taxes post (in Attibelle-EC side). This is next to very big Sri Venkateswara garments showroom with lots of colorful lights.
2) Absolutely no checking for TN ePass or no stoppages by police.
3) Negligible bus Traffic in highways including government and private buses. Hardly would have seen 10 to 15 buses in entire trip one way.
4) However, truck traffic is very very high apart from private cars and smaller vehicles.
5) As usual, managing and two wheelers between Omalur-Salem exit is a big pain.
6) Road conditions are good in V.Koot road. In return direction, there are some patches in Veppur-Chinna salem-Thalaivasal section (near forest area) makes little bumpy drive. Not a big worry though.
7) The toll plaza that was constructed in V.Koot road between Chinna salem to Veppur continue to be abandoned. Don't think they are goind to make it operational any time as its been close to 2 years IIRC. That said, i would say, it would be ridiculous to collect toll in that road as it is a primary connecting road towards Chidambaram/Kadalur and is only a 2L road which is basic connection. Let's see.
8) Usually we stop at A2B for their best coffee. This time, in Attur A2B, it was horrible. we regretted having coffee there, as it seems usual staff are no longer working there. However, in return journey, we had best coffee in Thoppur A2B which was great.
9) In return journey, on a sunday evening at 4.30 pm, there were just 4 cars in Thoppur A2B and only about 8 customers inside including myself. It was a total surprise as i recollect how Thoppur A2B used to be during pre-covid time on a sunday!
10) Cross the Zuzuvadi border is more time taking as, buses take U turn and people are crossing the border by walk.
11) We reached at 6 pm in Attibelle and it took 1.5 hours to reach home in C.V.Raman Nagar. Very heavy traffic on sunday evening between Attibelle to EC to Silkboard

HTH
-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:35   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Reviving this thread after an year.

Did a Bangalore-Kumbakonam-Bangalore trip last weekend.
Left Bangalore on 9th Oct 2020 at 12.30 pm and reached Kumbakonam at 7.30 including a 30 minutes tea break.
Similarly, left Kumbakonam on 11th Oct 2020 at 12.15 pm and reached Bangalore at 7.30 pm including a 45 minutes break at Thoppur A2B for tea break.
Hi Ravi,

Thank you for this write up.. I plan to drive down next week to Kumbakonam from BLR.

Just 1-2 questions:

1. Any reasons for choosing the Salem route over Tiruvannamalai route (which I believe is lesser by around 40kms)? Any feedback on this route if you know??

2. You mentioned there are no checks on covid? I imagine an e-pass is still required to be taken? How about on your way back, exiting TN.. did you take an e-pass for this?

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2020 at 20:29. Reason: reduced size of quoted post
Old 18th October 2020, 20:32   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
1. Any reasons for choosing the Salem route over Tiruvannamalai route (which I believe is lesser by around 40kms)
This route is 4-lane till Thalaivasal, a WIDE 2-lane till Vridhachalam (plus lets you bypass Vridhachalam totally) and in short is an option for the fastest commute.

Many members have perfected this route. Especially Thalavasal-Vridhachalam is the find of this forum. What a brilliant 2-lane !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed