Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 22:39   #1

Need some guidance on the Calicut - Pune / Mumbai road

I did a Pune-Blr-Kochi (Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Thoppur-Bhawani-Palghat-
Kochi.) -Tvm-Kochi trip earier this month (covered 2020 kms in my Versa DX with my wife and two kids.)

I left my car and family behind in Kerala and will be returning this weekend.

I intend to start from Calicut at 7 am on the 25th and aim to be in
Pune by 26th late evening. I need to factor in a 3 hour halt at
Cannanore for some visits.

Is the Calicut-Kannur-Mangalore-Ankola-Hubli-Pune route the best or
should I go ahead to Karwar-Belgaum-Pune? Any inputs on the current
road conditions? All the posts of late 2007 did not sepak highy about
the Mangalore-Hubli stretch. Hope it has been repaired by now.

Whichever route I take, I should halt in the night and negotiate the
Ankola-Hubli or Karwar/Belgaum stretch in the morning. I have been told that the options for a night halt could be Hotel Pandurang International @ Kumta or Kamath Executive @ Honnavar or Hotel Vadiraj (?) @ Kumta. Any feedback on these hotels?

Rgds, Arun
Old 20th May 2008, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Ankola-Hubli route is preferable. Lots of traffic but road is mostly good. They have been repaired since end-2007.

Pandurang at Kumta is good, found it better than Kamth at Honavar. You can also try Kediyoor (Udupi), Sharon (Kundapura) and RNS (Murudeshwar).
Old 21st May 2008, 06:50   #3

Tks :-)

Dear Kumar, Thanks a lot. I'll post a report on my return journey after I return next week. Rgds,
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:25   #4
BHPian

Calicut to Mumbai - Route Suggestions and Road Conditions

Hi all,

I am planning to do a Calicut – Mumbai road trip this weekend along with my wife and was looking forward to some valuable tips from the experienced travellers out here on the proposed route and the road conditions that I will need to be mindful about.

Have been going through the various threads and have seen that the route mostly advised is the one below:

Calicut – Vytheri – Kalpetta – Sultan Batthery – Gundelpet – Mysore – Chitradurga – Hubli – Dharwad – Belgaum – Kolhapur – Pune – Mumbai.

I have also seen a few people take the NH 17 route. However, most people advise to avoid NH 17 on account of traffic and narrow and potholed roads. Would be helpful to know what the present road conditions are on NH17 and if I should stick to NH 4 route.

Also, would help if I could get information on the towns en route that are good for breaks. I think I will have to stop at Chitradurga the first night. Is this a good idea or should I consider any other towns? I plan to break my journey on the second day at Panchgani, should be a good break before I hit the Mumbai heat.

I will be doing most of the driving by myself so I am also concerned about the tiredness factor. Also, please advise on the best ways to avoid any bottlenecks or traffic jams which may be encountered on the route.

Apart from the queries I have already laid out above, please advise if there is anything else I need to be mindful about especially considering that it is a fairly long drive.

Many thanks in advance for the valuable inputs.

Arun
Old 24th April 2012, 10:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Calicut to Mumbai - Route Suggestions and Road Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to do a Calicut – Mumbai road trip this weekend along with my wife and was looking forward to some valuable tips from the experienced travellers out here on the proposed route and the road conditions that I will need to be mindful about.

Have been going through the various threads and have seen that the route mostly advised is the one below:

Calicut – Vytheri – Kalpetta – Sultan Batthery – Gundelpet – Mysore – Chitradurga – Hubli – Dharwad – Belgaum – Kolhapur – Pune – Mumbai.

I have also seen a few people take the NH 17 route. However, most people advise to avoid NH 17 on account of traffic and narrow and potholed roads. Would be helpful to know what the present road conditions are on NH17 and if I should stick to NH 4 route.

Also, would help if I could get information on the towns en route that are good for breaks. I think I will have to stop at Chitradurga the first night. Is this a good idea or should I consider any other towns? I plan to break my journey on the second day at Panchgani, should be a good break before I hit the Mumbai heat.

I will be doing most of the driving by myself so I am also concerned about the tiredness factor. Also, please advise on the best ways to avoid any bottlenecks or traffic jams which may be encountered on the route.

Apart from the queries I have already laid out above, please advise if there is anything else I need to be mindful about especially considering that it is a fairly long drive.

Many thanks in advance for the valuable inputs.

Arun

Here is a detailed Route Plan for you to drive from Calicut to Bombay via Bangalore.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...HlhXy1Tc0s1ZEE

You can bypass all large cities, including Mysore, Bangalore, Hubli, Belgaum, KOlhapur & Pune.

Please note hotels that you can stay in Chitradurga BYpass - Naveen Regency & Ravi Mayur.
More hotels on the highway also listed.

Note the road closure timings 9 pm - 6 am between Sultan's Battery & Gundlupet.

Why not NH17? Heavy traffic, 2 laned roads.
But recommended for its many sightseeing places, great landscapes

Panchgani is not on your route, it is a detour of 40 kms off your route. No, I don;t think it is a great idea to go there.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 11:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Here is a detailed Route Plan for you to drive from Calicut to Bombay via Bangalore.
=======================
Panchgani is not on your route, it is a detour of 40 kms off your route. No, I don;t think it is a great idea to go there.
Thank you so much HVK sir, that was an amazing spreadsheet. Have not seen such detailed Triplogs. There is a lot we newbies can learn from highway gurus like you.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much HVK sir, that was an amazing spreadsheet. Have not seen such detailed Triplogs. There is a lot we newbies can learn from highway gurus like you.
Agree with HVK and I would also recommend that you take NH17, very scenic and pleasant drive. and after Goa, from Sawantwadi take the Amboli Ghat >> Nippani >> Kolhapur >> Satara >> Pune. Hope this helps.
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Agree with HVK and I would also recommend that you take NH17, very scenic and pleasant drive. and after Goa, from Sawantwadi take the Amboli Ghat >> Nippani >> Kolhapur >> Satara >> Pune. Hope this helps.
I am a little confused to be honest. One route is scenic, the other is more comfortable. Difficult choice it is really. A sort of head vs. heart scenario.

@Kumar Sir: Any sightseeing suggestions enroute?
Old 24th April 2012, 17:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I am a little confused to be honest. One route is scenic, the other is more comfortable. Difficult choice it is really. A sort of head vs. heart scenario.

BTW NH17 is not that bad, besides that the traffic will keep you attentive

There is one patch, after Udupi I guess, when you actually drive alongside the beach. And throughout you can feel the breeze of the sea.
Old 24th April 2012, 17:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:

There is one patch, after Udupi I guess, when you actually drive alongside the beach. And throughout you can feel the breeze of the sea.
This strech is much beyone Udupi. After Kundapura, after the 2nd (and the more popular one too) turn-off for Kollur, in about 5 kms or so, you reach a stretch at Maravanthe where you have the sand-beach on your left and river Sowparnika on your right. Sometimes, it is a bit scary during monsoon, esp if you are driving when there is heavy rain accompanied with strong winds !
ajithbr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
This strech is much beyone Udupi. After Kundapura, after the 2nd (and the more popular one too) turn-off for Kollur, in about 5 kms or so, you reach a stretch at Maravanthe where you have the sand-beach on your left and river Sowparnika on your right. Sometimes, it is a bit scary during monsoon, esp if you are driving when there is heavy rain accompanied with strong winds !
It sounds awesome, the route description. So how about the road conditions in that area recently, is the road surface decent? Traffic is always high on NH 17 from what little I know.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need some guidance on the Calicut - Pune / Mumbai road

Quote:

If you want to return via NH17, you can check out this link which has my detailed route plan to go from Calicut to Pune/Bombay via 2 separate routes:
- Go on NH17 till Ankola, then take NH63 to connect with NH4 at HUbli & thereon vi Kolhapur
- Continue on NH17 all the way through Goa
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WlLR21qeVItM0E

Sightseeing ideas - lots of them, choose between beaches & pilgrim places. You can visit beaches like Kaup, Malpe, Maravnthe, Gokarna.
You can take the blessings of the gods at Udupi, Kollur, Murudeshwar & Gokarna.
Hotel facilities are good en route.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Maravanthe Beach is what you are referring to, which is between Kundapura (17 kms from there) & Baindur. The sea on one side & the Sowparnika River on the other. Not much of a beach though, too small.

Quote:
It sounds awesome, the route description. So how about the road conditions in that area recently, is the road surface decent? Traffic is always high on NH 17 from what little I know.
Road conditions are fine. For those driving in from Calicut, face heavy traffic till Kannur & also between Kasargod & Mangalore, although you can beta some of it by leaving early morning (say, 4 am). Similarly, Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapura is also a congested stretch. Road widening in that sector can also slow down things a bit.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 00:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you want to return via NH17, you can check out this link which has my detailed route plan to go from Calicut to Pune/Bombay via 2 separate routes:
- Go on NH17 till Ankola, then take NH63 to connect with NH4 at HUbli & thereon vi Kolhapur
- Continue on NH17 all the way through Goa
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WlLR21qeVItM0E

Sightseeing ideas - lots of them, choose between beaches & pilgrim places. You can visit beaches like Kaup, Malpe, Maravnthe, Gokarna.
You can take the blessings of the gods at Udupi, Kollur, Murudeshwar & Gokarna. Hotel facilities are good en route.

Maravanthe Beach is what you are referring to, which is between Kundapura (17 kms from there) & Baindur. The sea on one side & the Sowparnika River on the other. Not much of a beach though, too small.

Road conditions are fine. For those driving in from Calicut, face heavy traffic till Kannur & also between Kasargod & Mangalore, although you can beta some of it by leaving early morning (say, 4 am). Similarly, Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapura is also a congested stretch. Road widening in that sector can also slow down things a bit.
Thanks a ton Sir! I am really grateful to all your help. I will consider both routes carefuly now and not dismiss NH 17 as too crowded/inconvenient as I was doing earlier.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I can fully empathize with you Arun . I faced the same situation when planning for my Ahmedabad-Kerala trip last July. Finally settled for Pune-Belgaum NH4 route and joined NH17 at Ankola as adviced by most TBHPians since it was the monsoon season then. But NH17 thru Konkan has always been an attraction for me and I will fulfil my wish next month when I will be driving to Goa by this route.

Quote:

Though the traffic is heavier compared to the other route, NH17 has its own charm and thrill. ALso I understand that now the roads have been repaired and is in much better condition than during last monsoon. Heres a pic from my journey of the beach alongside NH17 near Kundapura.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some guidance on the Calicut - Pune / Mumbai road-beach.jpg  

Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks