Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 13:29   #1
BHPian

Help with Mysore trip

Hi guys,

Planning to make a one and a half day trip to Mysore starting at tomorrow afternoon and would need some help with the following.

1. Best way to get out of Bangalore city to join the highway. I am starting from Koramangala, and is Indiranagar, Old Madras road the way to go or its Kanakapura ? Sorry, I am not very clear with Bangalore roads.

2. A reasonably good hotel to stay (Rs1500.00 to Rs2000) at Mysore, with an option to get a local guide. I will be traveling with my family and lack of knowledge of the city and local language makes it very difficult to locate places in and around.

Which route,

NH 209 ? Bangalore -> harohalli -> Kanakapura --> Mavalli --> Mysore
OR
Bangalore ->Ramanagaram -> Channapatta -> Mandya, Sreeranga Pattana --> Mysore.

Got the above ones from google maps :-).

Thanks for the inputs guys.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
Hi guys,
1. Best way to get out of Bangalore city to join the highway. I am starting from Koramangala, and is Indiranagar, Old Madras road the way to go or its Kanakapura ? Sorry, I am not very clear with Bangalore roads.
Assuming you are at Forum (Hosur Road side/Opp to Bosch) go towards MG Road
- Before hitting BRigade Road, take the left one way of Richmond Road
- On Richmond ROad, keep left, you will see a flyover going up, dont take flyover, keep left
- Under the flyover there is signal, keep going straight (you will find Provdent Fund Office in the right, Hotel Ramanashree in the left) - keep straight and left (this is oneway).
- you will see kanteerva indoor stadium in your right.
- After stadium you will reach a big circle, Corporation circle. Keep straight
- You will hit first signal, keep straight
- Second signal you will find Mysore right, take it, immediately you will find a huge flyover, take the flyover, this is about 5 km long
- Keep straight, another 130km you will be at the Mysore Ring Road junction.

Quote:
2. A reasonably good hotel to stay (Rs1500.00 to Rs2000) at Mysore, with an option to get a local guide. I will be traveling with my family and lack of knowledge of the city and local language makes it very difficult to locate places in and around.
I think local guide you can take at the place itself. You will require guide only at Palace. Anyway enquire in the hotel. There are some good resort at Srirangapatnam (Young Island resort is one good example). I would suggest you to stay there. You will anyway be visitng Brindavan gardens which will be closer to Srirangapatnam. In Mysore you can Palace and Zoo. Chamundi Hills can be done in the morning. Sangam, ranganathithu sanctuary can also be done if planned properly. Pls read my Ooty or Sangam travelogue for some more information if reqd.

Quote:
Bangalore ->Ramanagaram -> Channapatta -> Mandya, Sreeranga Pattana --> Mysore.
This is the route.

Abhi
Old 30th May 2008, 16:35   #3
BHPian

don't miss Sangam in Srirangapatnam as well.
for the budget mentioned, you may stay at Ginger (TATA enterprise). I think you may get 10% discount if you work for TATA. Alternatively, you can stay at hotel Siddharth as well.
You really don't need a guide to see Mysore. Keep in mind the list mentioned by Akroy and you can do it all yourself.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:45   #4
BHPian

If you are starting from Koramangala, you can also take this route

- Forum > Diary Circle flyover > Lal Bagh > Minerva Circle
- At the Minerva Circle, go straight towards Kalasipalya. At the next signal also go straight (taking a right you will end up in Kalasipalya).
- At the next signal/circle (I think there is a medical college on the left side here) again go straight.
From here on keep going straight, you will join Mysore road just after the flyover that akroy mentioned.

Very useful if you start early in the morning.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

@akroy sahib, kahan ulti ganga baha rahe ho, he's already near the south of bglr so he can take the NICE corridor from either kanakpura road or bannerghatta road.

@Vroom77, read this thread for directions on joining NICE corridor from both the places but since the bannerghatta access is more hidden, its better you take the kanakpura rd entry, which is more prominent. Then you will join the SH17 to Mysore.

For the rest read this travelogue and many more are available if you search.
Old 30th May 2008, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
@akroy sahib, kahan ulti ganga baha rahe ho, he's already near the south of bglr so he can take the NICE corridor from either kanakpura road or bannerghatta road.

@Vroom77, read this thread for directions on joining NICE corridor from both the places but since the bannerghatta access is more hidden, its better you take the kanakpura rd entry, which is more prominent. Then you will join the SH17 to Mysore.

For the rest read this travelogue and many more are available if you search.
Thanks a lot once again Dadu for those kind words. Was trying to contact various hotels in and around Mysore and only Lalitha Mahal Palace and Royal Orchid have room availability. Any other good hotels that you know of ? Ginger and the other resorts mentioned here are full. I'll take the kanakapura road to get out of the city and join state hightway to Mysore. Thanks akroy,sanjay and deep, really appreciate your help. cheers:. I'll start by 9.00 and hope to checkin for lunch.
Old 31st May 2008, 01:07   #7
BANNED

Vroom

Have a nice trip, Pls avoid driving in the night on mysore roads. Its too winding and at times can get into your head.

The best way to complete your holiday is travel by day.

Are you driving a Safari, if so the mysore road is best to drive them on.

If you have kids hit planet X in mysore, they'll have a ball.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 31st May 2008 at 01:09.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Vroom

Have a nice trip, Pls avoid driving in the night on mysore roads. Its too winding and at times can get into your head.

The best way to complete your holiday is travel by day.

Are you driving a Safari, if so the mysore road is best to drive them on.

If you have kids hit planet X in mysore, they'll have a ball.
Thanks Pavan. I am back in Bangalore after completing the vacation successfully. Got into Mysore road via NICE, entry from Kanakapura and on the way back, continued the NICE to exit @hosur rd. Got a chance to off road at the last few kms before electronic city. No I idea through which area I got in, just asked the guys whom i saw on the way.

Will post the travelogue soon.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:36   #9
BHPian

Hi t-bhpians,

I am planning 2 Nights/3 Days in a resort nearby Mysore and the places to visit will be likely zoo, brindavan garden, Chamundi Hills, Mysore Palace.
I would like to spend some time in the resort as well.
I looked up the net and found Young Island Resort to be affordable with good surroundings though I haven't seen/visited this place before.
Please voice your valuable opinions and also clarify the following concerns:
1. Quality of the food(Veg) in Young Island
2. Security in Young Island
3. Good hotels in Mysore while visiting zoo, brindavan garden, Chamundi Hills, Mysore Palace
3. This place is 12Kms from Mysore. Is it a good idea to commute to Mysore and back everytime when we want to visit Mysore?

Find below the list of resorts collected from the net of which I found WindFlower good but expensive.
Young Island
#17/A, 17/B, Bommur Agrahara
Srirangapatna Taluk
Mandya District

White Orchid Resorts
Mysore - Bangalore High Way Road
176, Kalasthavadi, 6 Kms from Mysore City, Mysore - 570 003.

Howard Johnson Inn The Monarch, Hinkal
Mysore Mercara Road,
Hinkal, Mysore - 570017

Chitravana Resorts
#39, Manandawady road(H.D.Kote Road), Kalawadi Gate,
Mysore-570008,
Karnataka, INDIA.

Windflower resorts
Maharanapratap Road, Nazarbad, Mysore 570 010,
Karnataka, India.

Grand Maurya,Mysore
No 214, Hinkal
Mysore-Hunsur Road, Mysore, Karnataka 570017, India

Thanks in advance,
Girish
Old 18th February 2010, 14:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thinking of having a one day trip this weekend since inlaws are also there. Visited Mysore long time back, just wanted to check what is the best to plan for a single day trip (starting 7AM ending 9PM). No trekking or long walks since my 1 year old son and aged inlaws would get tired soon.

Need to refresh from the job tensions and enjoy travel and some photographic experiments too and ofcourse family should enjoy it!

Show more light please!
Old 18th February 2010, 15:02   #11
BHPian

Places to visit on the way / near/ in Mysore:
1. Janapada Loka
2. Gosai Ghat near Srirangapatna (Awesome river side place) Take a right just before the Sangama
3. Mysore Palace ( You might wanna skip this as you'll have to walk a lot in the palace)
4. Karanjee Lake
5. K.R.S.
Make it a point to come back to Palace around 7:00 PM. This when they switch on the lights. The sight is amazing.

I think this should cover your whole day.
Have a nice trip
Old 18th February 2010, 15:10   #12
BHPian

2 days would be ideal - 1 day might wear off elders as well as the younger one. However, in 1 day you could cover the usual attractions in the city like Palace (there's another palace in the vicinity that houses Ravi Varma's paintings - you can visit that too), Chamundi hills (provided the climate/temparature permits) and Zoo. Make sure to take the zoo cart that would give an hours tour - available at the zoo entrance. On the way back you can stop over at Ranganathittu for a boat ride (there are quite a few birds and crocs there) as well as Srirangapatna.

There's also a rail museum and if your son loves trains, it's a nice little place to visit.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
2 days would be ideal - 1 day might wear off elders as well as the younger one. However, in 1 day you could cover the usual attractions in the city like Palace (there's another palace in the vicinity that houses Ravi Varma's paintings - you can visit that too), Chamundi hills (provided the climate/temparature permits) and Zoo. Make sure to take the zoo cart that would give an hours tour - available at the zoo entrance. On the way back you can stop over at Ranganathittu for a boat ride (there are quite a few birds and crocs there) as well as Srirangapatna.

There's also a rail museum and if your son loves trains, it's a nice little place to visit.
I would second that. 1 day is too hectic. If you want to go easy, stay overnight. You can also take them to the Chamundi hill till next day morning.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks VTEC_rocks, KEsriram and ampere.

Sunday we have some other appointments with family and friends in Bangalore. I would prefer to stick to one or two places rather than running to cover places. I have'nt yet been to Renganaithittu, can you give more light on this. And also on the Rail Museum and Bangalore palace.

Last edited by jacs : 18th February 2010 at 16:19.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:21   #15
BHPian

Ranganthittu is a great place. Now would be a good time to go as the migratory birds would have arrived. Remember to take caps as it gets really hot when you go boating or make it a point to go in a boat with shelter. You'll have to take a deviation after Srirangapatna. There is a board that reads "Young Island", take a right there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks