Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries

Am planning to visit my 'sasuraal' in Jodhpur. I know all the routes - jaipur bypass, ajmer, kishangarh, beawar, burr & jodhpur....or..

Turn right from kotputli towards sikar and then via nagaur.

What I need to know is that has anybody done these routes in the last few days and any place en route affected by the Gujjar agitation?
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine did Jaipur-Ajmer-Beawar-Udaipur last week. Road is good and fast. Kotputli had lots of problems lastt week with Gujjar agitation, NH8 was blocked there. No idea abou current condition of Nagaur-Jodhpur road, but that is normally a good road.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

My friend got back from Jaipur a few days back. He said there is problem at many places. He just about managed to get through the many roadblocks.

Wait for a few days Guruji !! Why take a chance ?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

GD, there is fuel shortage also in some parts of Rajasthan due to agitation. I suggest don't take the risk right now
Old 5th June 2008, 17:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

dayyum. you can PM COUGAR on teambhp. he rode delih to mumbai last weekend.
Old 6th June 2008, 23:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thank you friends, for the concern and the advice. Am already in Jodhpur with wife and daughter and hale, hearty, safe and sound..

Left GGN at 9:30, nearly six hours behind schedule and reached Jodhpur at 9 after making several pitstops, precautionery refuellings and spending quite sometime at Ajmer visitng the Dargah Sharif and having lunch.

Excellant roads except for some bottle neck near Shahjahnapur due to some construction. Most who have done the Del-BOM-Del sector know about this. The single lane NH112 to Jodhpur from Beawar is great as well. Only if the NHAI would make it four-lane.

As Tanveer mentioned and also newspaper reported about the fuel shortage due to the agitation, I was filling up as soon as quarter tank would get empty. But then I did not face any fuel shortage enroute and also no blockades. Smooth run.

Got a steady mileage of 11.5 kms with full ac on and a steady speed of 90+.
Old 7th June 2008, 11:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good to know you there in Jodhpur Safe & Sound Guru Bhai.

Do go to ' On the Rocks ' when there and have a few drinks I liked that place.
Old 7th June 2008, 18:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

lavly saab. So much for all the fear!
Old 13th June 2008, 10:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

A brief travelogue

Jodhpur happens to be my 'sasuraal'; in-laws' place to the un-initiated. Normally a trip is done every year to meet relatives and wifey stocks up on her various ktichen raw materials for the year round. But this time this trip was done after three years and most of the stock was depleted resulting in constant cribbing about the quality of food material available here..!!

Plans were to leave around three in the morning of the 6th so that we could reach Jodhpur between 1 & 2 pm. But I had to see off somebody at the International Airport and came back home only around 1 am. Was dead tired and thought of taking a short nap that resulted in my waking up only at 7 am. The body automatically completed its quota of 6 hrs of sleep.

By the time we left it was almost 10ish. A lot of well-wishers advised against doing the road trip because of the Gujjar agitation and there were reports that Rajasthan was suffering from fuel-shortage. Well, the bullish streak in me trundled along as I firmly believe in "crossing the bridge when it comes". A tankful of HP normal diesel with the regular adulteration with acetone and I was on my way. No point saying anything about the roads as Rajasthan roads are fantastic. Took the Jaipur bypass and headed straight to Ajmer. Reached Ajmer around 3 pm. In the meanwhile was topping up the tank enroute as soon as the needle reached the quarter mark. I didn't want get stranded for lack of fuel. But my fears were wrong. Stopped at Ajmer to have a darshan at the dargah (that we always do when we head to Jodhpur) and deposited 5kgs of rice, 1 kg of jaggery and 1 kg of ghee in one of the huge cauldrons, where cooking is done for the teeming masses during Urs. As usual laid a 'chaadar' at the mazaar and after prayers headed to Jannat Hotel next to the dragah gate for lunch. This hotel was mentioned in the good food section in one of the channels hosted by Vinod Dua. We were ravenously hungry, so the food tasted delicious.

Left Ajmer, by 5:30 and by 9pm we were in Jodhpur and by 9:45 safely ensconed in our ususal haunt - RTDC's Hotel Ghoomer on the High Court Road. Super AC room for Rs.1500/- a day. No extra charge for my daughter Gauri as we are regulars. Ah, a small mention here. Before going into the hotel drove straight to Janta Restaurant on the Ghanta Ghar road to have 'mirchi badas' (mirchi pakodas) and kachori that is so famous and typical of this place...

Weather was cool in the night and my wife's relatives had said that Jodpur was unusually cooler as lots of squalls, thunderstorms and hailstorms were happening. This gladdened us and with this thought went off to sleep. Woke up lazily in the morning to find the sun blazing and as soon as I opened the room's balcony door a hot sultry blast hit me that sent me scurrying back. I went down to park the vehicle in shade and came back sweating. That decided that we were not moving out of the room during the day and whatever outing had to be done was to be done only in the evening. Since we had seen everything that had to be seen in Jodhpur, during our first trip itself many years ago, the only thing to left to do was to visit some temples that our family always does and shopping.

Stepped out in the evening and had darshan at 'Paal Balaji' the famous Hanuman Temple, Gajananji on the mountain top and Riktiya Bhairon and headed to our in-laws' place for dinner. Returned back around 2 am and went off to sleep after checking my emails. The next day was the same except that in the evening we went to Osian, 65 kms away from Jodhpur to have darshan at the Osian Mata temple. While we were about to leave for Osian, the sky suddenly darkened and it poured for about 45 minutes thus bringing the temperature down. Returned with the skies overcast and after dinner went to hotel and slept after watching some news on TV.

Now only one temple of Chamunda Devi in the Mehrangarh Fort was left, and that was completed on 10th at 11 am in the morning under the hot and sultry weather. It left all of us exhausted and sweating and immediately after returning to the room we all slept without even having lunch. The heat is so sapping there..!! In the evening, it was shopping time that wifey did alone as I stoutly refused to accompany her as always, and cited hot, humid weather as an excuse. She came back after few hours laden with all the stuff that she required and we left for our relatives for the final supper.

11th was the day of the return journey and we left Jodhpur at 12 pm and drove non-stop till Jaipur. After crossing Jaipur, stopped at a roadside dhaba for tea and snacks and then hit the road again at 6:30. Parked my vehicle at home at 10pm. The return journey was also uneventful and this time I didn't top up till post Jaipur.

I've had some very erratic FE throughout. On an average it turned out to be with full AC around 11kmpl. Now that's absurd. It could be because of the oversized tyres that I put. Any comments shall be helpful...

Some photos

Ajmer Dargah Entrance
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-dargahentrance.jpg

Chaadar & Flower shop, Ajmer
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-flower-shop.jpg

Jannat Hotel, Ajmer
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-jannat.jpg

Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-mehrangarh.jpg

Chamunda Devi Temple, Fort, Jodhpur
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-chamunda-devi.jpg

Royal priest at Chamunda Devi worshipping, Jodhpur
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-worshipping.jpg

Guns of Navarone
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-guns-navarone.jpg

Old Jodhpur City from the ramparts of Fort
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-old-city.jpg

Umaid Bhavan Palace & Hotel, Jodhpur - (Liz Hurley & Arun Nayar were married here)
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-umaid-bhavan.jpg

Oasis in the middle of the city
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-oasis.jpg

Ghantaghar
Name:  Clock Tower.jpg
Views: 7578
Size:  44.2 KB

Tractor inside the Fort on Elephant way
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-tractor.jpg

Colourful puppets with my little Miss Muffet
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-puppets.jpg

Soothing blue
Gurgaon - Jodhpur : Route Queries-blue.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th June 2008 at 10:33.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2008, 10:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Jodhpur happens to be my 'sasuraal'; in-laws' place to the un-initiated.

Left Ajmer, by 5:30 and by 9pm we were in Jodhpur and by 9:45 safely ensconed in our ususal haunt - RTDC's Hotel Ghoomer on the High Court Road. Super AC room for Rs.1500/- a day. No extra charge for my daughter Gauri as we are regulars.
Guruji, don't get me wrong, but you went to your sasuraal and yet you put up in a hotel for the night? Baat kuch hajam nahin hui!
Old 13th June 2008, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Baat yun hain ki, am used to certain luxuries of life that is not availalbe in 'sasuraal'. Hence the stay in the hotel..

Plus it gives me privacy and my own space....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Guruji, don't get me wrong, but you went to your sasuraal and yet you put up in a hotel for the night? Baat kuch hajam nahin hui!
Old 13th June 2008, 10:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Baat yun hain ki, am used to certain luxuries of life that is not availalbe in 'sasuraal'. Hence the stay in the hotel..

Plus it gives me privacy and my own space....!
Now that was hajmola for my badhajmi
Old 13th June 2008, 10:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

It wasn't hajmola dear; it was the potent 'kaayam churan' that did wonders. If badhajmi still persisting, then can prescribe the 'ghode waala julaab'...
Quote:
Now that was hajmola for my badhajmi
Old 13th June 2008, 10:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
It wasn't hajmola dear; it was the potent 'kaayam churan' that did wonders. If badhajmi still persisting, then can prescribe the 'ghode waala julaab'...
Is that what you use after every meet/meat? I would most definitely need that as I am a constipation ka mareez.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

haven't reached that stage dear. A ltr of water the first thing in the morning works like a miracle....

Quote:
Is that what you use after every meet/meat? I would most definitely need that as I am a constipation ka mareez.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks