Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 17:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Entertainment in Kottyam, Kerala ?

dear mallu BHPians,
am visiting kottayam on saturday 7th June. I have all day to kill & would love to know what is hot in this town. Any bhpians around in this place ? Any nearby place that i could visit (not more than an hour's travel) ? Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

cheers
Old 5th June 2008, 17:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey John, how are you going down to kerala ? Train ? I would be catching the train (2623 Tvm Mail) tomorrow evening to spend the weekend there.

Regarding entertainment options at Kottayam, you have Kumarakom and the backwaters pretty close. And as is said about Kottayam, "After sunset, there is only one person in Kottayam who is sober - the statue of M.K.Gandhi in the town square". So you know what to expect ?

Proper Kottayam residents can throw more light on other places nearby which are worth visiting.
Old 5th June 2008, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey John, how are you going down to kerala ? Train ? I would be catching the train (2623 Tvm Mail) tomorrow evening to spend the weekend there.

Regarding entertainment options at Kottayam, you have Kumarakom and the backwaters pretty close. And as is said about Kottayam, "After sunset, there is only one person in Kottayam who is sober - the statue of M.K.Gandhi in the town square". So you know what to expect ?

Proper Kottayam residents can throw more light on other places nearby which are worth visiting.

He he he , seems like we are on the same train. Where are you headed from kottayam ?
Old 5th June 2008, 17:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kumaroakom, may be the ideal option. But the rains? i think it should be more fun.
or may be you can have a drive to Kumili and come back?
Or a drive to Munnar and come back same day?
Old 5th June 2008, 17:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kolle! I bet e_l will have a kuppi on board the train now!

Kumarakom bird sanctuary
Kumarakom for kallu
A boat ride to Muhamma from Kumarakom
Food at Chic King near Windsor
Food at Karimbumkala

Drive down to Alapuzha, meet TBHPains at Kallu shap at AC road.

Last edited by jkdas : 5th June 2008 at 17:59.
Old 5th June 2008, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for the response, hope to meet some of you there
Old 5th June 2008, 18:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

M.G University!!!
Old 5th June 2008, 18:40   #8
BANNED

John, welcome to god's own country.

There are lots of good places to see around Kottayam. Kumarakom being the most famous, I would suggest you a daytrip there. You can go on a backwater cruise, get high on local toddy, fill up your belly with unlimited truckloads of prawns, crabs, pearlspots, visit the bird sanctuary (if it's season now) and more....
Then, you can also opt for the hills if that's your brew. Vagamon, Kuttikkanam etc.. are not very far and can be done as a daytrip too.

If you are an avid fan/want to try authentic Kerala cuisine, a visit to Karimpinkala at Pallom (about 6 kms from Kottayam town towards chingavanam) is a must. There are 2 Karimpinkala. One comes first on the left side of the road and the other a bit ahead on the right side of the road. I would recommend you to go ahead to the right side one. Their food is far better, but they don't serve booze there.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks SB, kutlee, jk & zak.

I just lazed around in my hotel room till afternoon & then took a bus to kumarakom. Was shocked to see that there was only one small road & rows of houses on either side when the conductor said this is kumarakom. I got down & just wandered a little bit & asked a shop wallah 'where is the real kumarakom ? ' He said something like i have to take an auto & travel for another half an hour something. I did not want to risk getting too far away from my train station in a completely unknown place. So just decided to hang around & then saw a board 'Ayurvedic massage' & took the plunge. Wasn't too good, just spent an hour & took another bus back to kottayam. Heard from SB that buses stop by 8.00 pm. I took mine at 7.45pm. touch & go. All in all a day spent lazing around.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:15   #10

I would recommend Karimpinkaala too. It's a must if you are in Kottayam.

In Kumarakom, don't expect to see too much though. It's a bird sanctuary but both times I have been there I didn't see anything other than a crow Anyway it is a beautiful place, awesome scenery. It would be also worthwhile to take a ride in a hand rowed boat ("Vallom"), that was the best part of both our trips there.

If you have some time, you could also visit Rammakkal Medu. Its roughly 100Kms from Kottayam nearing the TN border. It's worth a visit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks