Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 14:07   #436
BHPian

Re: Monsoons - Road Condition Update

One of my friends planning for a road trip to Bangalore - Mangalore - Trivandrum next week.

How are the road conditions? In kerala esp?. I read the traffic on NH17 is frustrating. Any alternate routes that can be suggested?.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:53   #437
BHPian

What will be the best route to Sringeri from Bangalore during the monsoons ?
Is the standard route
Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri
still manageable or some other alternate route is preferred ? If the above is not advisable, can someone suggest an alternate route ?
Old 31st July 2011, 08:55   #438
BHPian

There were landslides on Charmadi Ghat : Landslide at Charmadi Ghat sparks traffic disruption a week and a half back

and the rivers overflowing at Horanadu during the same weekend :
Rain disrupts normal life [Hubli] | Times of India, The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Any update on the status of these ? Is it still pounding like it was a week back ?
Old 31st July 2011, 09:00   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
What will be the best route to Sringeri from Bangalore during the monsoons ?
Is the standard route
Bangalore - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri
still manageable or some other alternate route is preferred ? If the above is not advisable, can someone suggest an alternate route ?
The Jayapura - Sringeri road was shutdown due to rains a week or so back due to rains per reports ( may perhaps be open now ). The alternate route is Bangalore - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Sringeri , but atleast 50 kms more. Fauji did the Thirthahalli stretch recently and there seemed no problems. Not aware of the NH13 situ between Thirthahalli and Sringeri via Koppa - usually is a good road.
Old 31st July 2011, 10:03   #440
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, Amboli-sawantwadi route was closed temporarily due to landslide which happened at the same spot.
The road is opened now.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 15:18   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The Jayapura - Sringeri road was shutdown due to rains a week or so back due to rains per reports ( may perhaps be open now ). The alternate route is Bangalore - Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Sringeri , but atleast 50 kms more. Fauji did the Thirthahalli stretch recently and there seemed no problems. Not aware of the NH13 situ between Thirthahalli and Sringeri via Koppa - usually is a good road.
Hi,

The link you had posted carries the date Jul 17 2009. Did you post a wrong link ? Any updates on the Bangalore -Sringeri route via Chikmagalur - Aldur welcome.

Edited later. Just found this, per Deccan Herald, many roads in those areas are closed.http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...following.html

Chandra

Last edited by chandras1 : 31st July 2011 at 15:21. Reason: Found another link from DH about road conditions
Old 31st July 2011, 15:51   #442
BHPian

My sincere apologies, I pasted the wrong link.

MODS : Please help remove the second link in my previous post as it'd be inaccurate.
Old 31st July 2011, 16:53   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Hi,

The link you had posted carries the date Jul 17 2009. Did you post a wrong link ? Any updates on the Bangalore -Sringeri route via Chikmagalur - Aldur welcome.

Edited later. Just found this, per Deccan Herald, many roads in those areas are closed.M’lore-Sringeri road closed following flood

Chandra
I did Mudigere - Kalasa - Sringeri last week and it was absolutely fine and so was Charmadi - we went half distance but we could see Dharmasthala buses comong from oposite direction.

Generally, Chikmagalur - Balehonnur - Sringeri road should not have any problems as there is no river on that road - though you can enjoy Tunga next to you as you drive.

Tirthahalli - Koppa - Sringeri was open and road condition is good.

Suggest just call Shankar Mutt staff in Sringeri and check condition. Here is the link Contact Information | Sringeri Sharada Peetham
Old 31st July 2011, 17:56   #444
BHPian

Thanks for the contacts link, sure shall check with the mutt officials before I leave
Old 1st August 2011, 09:49   #445
BHPian

Please update on road conditions to Kodai-going there for Independence. May I request both routes-Palani as well as the Bathlagunda one as planning to use both routes to see more of the Countryside?
Old 1st August 2011, 09:59   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Please update on road conditions to Kodai-going there for Independence. May I request both routes-Palani as well as the Bathlagunda one as planning to use both routes to see more of the Countryside?
Both roads are fine, although don;t rule out some rough sections as the rains progress.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 10:50   #447
BHPian

Hi friends

I will be driving down to SouthGoa in 2nd or 3rd week of August. Planning to take NH-4 via Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum and then NH-4A via Anmod-Mollem. What is the present condition of these roads and how long will it take me to reach Margao by this route from Chembur in Mumbai if I start driving at 3.30am?
Awaiting your early reply friends. Thanks.
Old 8th August 2011, 11:25   #448
BHPian

Friends,

I will be driving to Chikmagalur during the long weekend of 1st week of september. It would be great if any of you have travelled recently, can provide me with the latest condition of the roads on the following routes:

1) NH48 - Bangalore - Yadiyur - Channarayanapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur
2) NH4/NH206 - Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arasikere - Chikmagalur

I would also request to provide me the best alternate routes apart from the ones mentioned above.

Cheers,
KTP
Old 8th August 2011, 12:12   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
1) NH48 - Bangalore - Yadiyur - Channarayanapatna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur
This route is almost a dream drive. If you are returning this route, there is one place 10 kms to Kunigal where 2-lane narrows down to a single lane. Its extremely bumpy around there (its nothing to do with monsoons).

Belur-Chikmagalur has some odd potholes, but nothing serious.
~~~~~
Monsoon road update time

1. NH17 - One word "Terrible"!! The condition is posted here, just extrapolate it from Murudeshwara to Gokarna. The 70 odd km stretch took me 2:15 hrs to cover. Ankola-Gokarna and Murudeshwara-Maravanthe were marginally better.

2. NH63 - Great condition !! few potholes, 3-4 unmarked speed breakers but spottable. Dream drive from Hubli to Ankola.

3. Agumbe ghat - Near lunar surfaces, but given the beauty of the place one shouldnt complain too much. Funny part is that, it rained every place right from the time we crossed Bangalore except at Agumbe and the ghat climb (so much for the built up I gave my wife that it was the Cherrapunji of the south).

4. Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur - Great condition roads to drive the monsoon.

5. Balehonnur-Aldur - Bad!

6. Aldur-Chikmagalur - Terrible, though roads become good about 8-10 km to Chikmagalur.

7. Kollur-Shankaranarayana-Someshwara-Agumbe foothill - Decent, roads are infact great for a few km either side of Someshwara. Roads are bad in patches, but nevertheless the vistas make up for it.

8. Pallikonda-Ranipet - This shouldn't techinically figure here. But the experiences with yesterday evening's rain made me post this. There are patches in this stretch where the rain water just stagnates on either of the road. The stagnation is especially bad near Vellore. I could feel my car aquaplaning at places, had a "heart in mouth" situation passing a Getz. When it rains here, it pours !! Visibility gets affected terribly. Might be a stretch to watch during NE monsoon.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 12:13   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Friends,

I will be driving to Chikmagalur during the long weekend of 1st week of september. It would be great if any of you have travelled recently, can provide me with the latest condition of the roads on the following routes:

2) NH4/NH206 - Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arasikere - Chikmagalur

I would also request to provide me the best alternate routes apart from the ones mentioned above.

Cheers,
KTP
We took the NH48 a couple of months back and found it to be fast and in very good condition and plenty of options for eating as well on this route.Hassan-Belur is like a runway!flat and straight and in excellent conditon.CCDs,Kamats and other eateries present on the route.Target for a 5hour drive from Nelamangala to Chikmagalur.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks