Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:14   #16
BHPian

Do not miss walking from from Arc de Triomphe till Louvre museum...This walk is really great passing through Champs Elysees

Also go to top of Arc de triomphe. You get one of the best views from there. Infact view from here is better than that of view from Eiffel Tower.

Also do not miss eating crepes ! They are wow. Enjoy.
Old 7th July 2008, 22:30   #17

In Paris - you can spend days in the Louvre, but as you have just 3 days, you will probably end up looking at the Mona Lisa. In addition to the other regular spots like eiffel and palace of versailles, Don't miss the open bus ride and the view from the Trocadero, Tour (Tower) Montparnasse. a boat ride on the seine. Do spend your evening at a cafe just doing nothing to enjoy the real Europe.

In Rome do visit the colloseum, the pantheon and the Piazza Vittorio Emmanuel and of course the vatican.
Old 11th July 2008, 21:50   #18
BHPian

Hey sschivate. Although I’m writing this, a bit late, but better late than never
Paris is at its best in springtime, even if it is sometimes a little wet. In winter Paris has all sorts of cultural events going on, while in summer the weather is warm and lazy - sometimes sizzling. In August, when Parisians flee for the beaches to the west and south, many restaurateurs lock up and leave town too, but this is changing rapidly and you'll find considerably more places open in summer than even a decade ago
Here is what I would do if I were to visit Paris (again and again and again…..)

Eiffel tower: Built for the 1889 Exposition Universelle (World Fair), held to commemorate the centennial of the Revolution, the Tour Eiffel was the world's tallest structure at 320m (1050ft) until Manhattan's Chrysler Building was completed. Try to head out during the evening to watch the fireworks, although I don’t clearly remember now if you’re allowed to go to the top during the evening. During the day, you’re certainly allowed.

Notre Dame: If Paris has a heart, then this is it. Notre Dame de Paris is not only a masterpiece of French Gothic architecture, but has also been Catholic Paris' ceremonial focus for seven centuries. The cathedral's immense interior, a marvel of medieval engineering

The Louvre: The Louvre may be the world's greatest art museum - but it's also the one most avoided by visitors to Paris. Daunted by its size and overwhelming richness, many people head to smaller galleries but if that doesn’t deter you, it’s a must visit for a first timer.
The former fortress began its career as a public museum in 1793 with 2500 paintings; now some 30000 are on display. The most famous works from antiquity include the Seated Scribe, the Jewels of Rameses II and the armless duo - the Wing

Le Limonaire ( live music) This little wine bar, tucked far away from the big commercial cabarets off rue Bergère, is one of the best places to listen to traditional French chansons (songs). The crowd can be convivial or almost reverential, depending on the night.

Le Loir dans la Theiere : One of Paris' best spots to spend a languorous Sunday is Le Loir dans la Theiere (The Dormouse in the Teapot) a wonderful old space filled with retro toys, comfy couches and free Wi-Fi.

Lido Show: Last but certainly not the least, the world famous lido show. Entry ticket can be expensive but worth a visit for sure. If going with wifey, all the best

Rome:
The sheer imperial scale of Rome is sure to knock you out.It's hard to say what you'll find most breathtaking about the Eternal City - the arrogant opulence of the Vatican, the timelessness of the Forum, the top speed of a Fiat Bambino, the gory resonance of the Colosseum, trying to cross a major intersection, or the bill for your caffe latte.

On the list of my must to see activities would be
Museo e Galleria Borghese (art gallery) This 'queen of all private collections' was formed by Cardinal Scipione Borghese, the most passionate and knowledgeable art collector of his day. The ground floor contains some important classical statuary and intricate Roman floor mosaics. But Bernini's spectacular carvings - flam flamboyant depictions of pagan myths - are the stars. His precocious talent is evident in works such as Pluto and Pro

Roman Forum Built over the course of 900 years, the Roman Forum (Foro Romano) was the commercial, political and religious centre of ancient Rome from the Republican era until the 4th century AD. Its importance declined along with the Roman Empire. With the Renaissance came a renewed appreciation of all things classical, and as a result, the Forum provided fresh inspiration for artists and architects.

Trastevere: Although its traditionally proletarian nature is changing as the crumbling palazzi become gentrified, a stroll among the labyrinthine alleys of Trastevere still reaps small gems of a bygone past. Washing strung out from the apartments in best Mama-leon
The lovely Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere is the area's heart. It's a true Roman square - by day peopled by mothers with strollers, chatting locals and guidebook-toting tourists, by night with artisans selling their craft work
Pincio Hill The view of St Peter's from the Pincio just has to be seen to be believed. This elegant park with its avenues of shady trees gets its name from the Pinci family, who owned it in the 4th century. It's a popular place for a weekend passagiata.

Giuseppe Valadier designed the lofty gardens (which adjoin Villa Borghese) around 1809-14. Roman families, cyclists and skaters continue the tradition of past strollers, including Keats, Severn, Richard Strauss, Mussolini, and King Farouk.

Trevi Fountain Rome's largest and most famous fountain, Fontana di Trevi was completed by Nicola Salvi in 1762, and immortalized 200 years later by Marcello Mastroianni and a frolicking Anita Ekberg (spilling out of a black strapless gown) in Fellini's La Dolce VI
This extravagant baroque work takes up most of the piazza, appears to meld into the palazzo, and depicts Neptune's chariot being led by Tritons with seahorses - one wild, one docile - representing the moods of the sea. Trevi refers to the three

Colosseum Of all the monuments in Rome, the Colosseum thrills the most. It was here that gladiators met in mortal combat and condemned prisoners fought off hungry lions. This great symbol of eternal Rome still excites the imagination as you'll see from the horde. Its construction was started by Emperor Vespasian in AD72 in the grounds of Nero's private Domus Aurea and it was inaugurated by his son Titus in AD80. Thereafter, inaugural games lasted for 100 days and nights, during which some 5000 animals were slaughtered
As you can see, the list is exhaustive but this would give you a fair idea as to what to expect. Hope it's been of some assitance to you.

Looking forward for your travelogue when you get back
Have a nice trip
M2S
Old 11th July 2008, 23:11   #19
BHPian

Also try to visit the Academie Nationale De Musique. The interiors of this building will wow you. The Ball Room, the grand staircase and the opera hall will blow you off your feet.

Added these pictures so that you can have a feel of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning 3 days in Rome and Paris-fip00221-large.jpg  

Planning 3 days in Rome and Paris-fip00262-large.jpg  

Planning 3 days in Rome and Paris-fip0027-large.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 11:50   #20
BHPian

Pankaj, Robert, Thanks!!

M2S: You are not at all late, as I am still 6 weeks away from flying... Thanks for the details. I will not forget the travelogue...

Saurabh, the pictures itself are wow.. I am looking forward to visiting it...
Old 14th July 2008, 13:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
In Paris, you can visit Eiffel Tower, Louvre museum in a day. Other attraction would be disney land(1 day), Versailles Palace(1/2 Days), Moulin Rougue(@ nights), Seine boat ride in the evenings, Notredam Cathedral( 3 hrs) etc.

In Rome, the collosium (1/2 day) and a full day for vatican. Rest you can plan accordingly.

Wish you a ncie trip
For staying, you could stay pretty reasonable in one of the youth hostels.

Also, I remember on one particular Sunday of the month, entry to the Louvre in Paris is free. Same for entry to the Vatican museum in Rome, it's free on one particular Sunday of the month.....although they are different Sundays ( if I remember correctly). I remember I'd visited Paris and Rome (on different weekends) and coincidentally both were on those Sundays where the respective entry was free.
(Just in case you want to save about 10 euros each place. )
Old 14th July 2008, 14:05   #22
BHPian

@sschivate: Word of advise on Paris. Pick up a Hotel at Montparnasse.It is probably the best connected spot in Paris with shuttle services back to the Airport , intercontinental train services nearby and super short distances to the main sights. The rooms are the best Value for money you can get in the city. 2 examples as below.
Hotel du Parc OFFICIAL SITE - Montparnasse - 2 star Paris - France - Saint Germain
Central Hotel Paris OFFICIAL SITE - 2 Star, Montparnasse Tower, Gare Montparnasse, St Germain des Pres, France

If your company pays for you, pick one up right near Champs Elysee..

Also make sure you hit the Champs Elysee at night. This is when all the fun begins. Hit one of the bars in the Bylanes as they are substantially cheaper than the ones on the main street. Try the raspberry beer . You always end up drinking way more than you can handle.

P.S: I in no way work for the above 2 establishments. I am just trying to help a fellow Indian with the oxymoronic Indian option "cheap and best"
Old 14th July 2008, 14:53   #23
BANNED

You have a lot of helpful answers already but here are a few points:

Rome

Trastavere is a nice place to stay with good outdoor dining. Very safe too. Avoid the Termini area.

Use Trams/Buses - buy 3 day passes. Be extremely careful about pickpocketing. I got pick pocketed on the 'pickpocket express' in spite of all warnings and precautions - luckily only 80Euro and no cards. In the tourist area you can walk from practically anywhere to anywhere.

Try Tiramisu everywhere. Try Saltimboca [local Roman dish with veal and parma] some places.

Shopping - leather is nice and not that expensive.

We took a car from Rome for our rest of Italy trip but DO NOT DRIVE INSIDE ROME. Some areas need special passes and are guarded with cameras. For that matter dont drive inside any big European city. Driving in Italy is IMO close to impossible without a GPS - it is NOT like UK/US/Australia which are english speaking countries.

Paris

Metros are great - again you get passes. We took a cab from CDG to city but with so much traffic opted for train from city to CDG-great and cheap.

Crepes are a must try and the Latin Quarter is nice for an evening dinner for one night.

Shopping - forum des halles is one of the biggest shopping areas that I have seen inside a city [excluding outlet malls etc]. Good food also around this place. Steaks are good.

Wines are good but as we had not much knowledge we would put a budget and go by recommendations.

Contrary to what most people say we found the French extremely helpful and friendly.

CDG is chaos - we reached with 3 hours to spare and still barely ran in to the aircraft just before doors closed. Keep enough time there if you want to do some duty free shopping etc.

Will post more as I remember but one last bit of advise - 3/3 days is waaay too little for such beautiful cities. Spending more time lets you do everything more leisurely and you really get a flavour of the city.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:05   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

You will actually find a LOT of information on spending time in Paris on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...tml#post563368

I wrote that last year.
Old 15th July 2008, 18:10   #25
BHPian

Sidkun, Sanjay, Deepak, Sam,

Appreciate the pointers, thanks!!
Old 15th July 2008, 18:12   #26
BHPian

@M2S: Can you indicate if all of these can be covered in 3 days? It would help me planning my stay...

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th July 2008, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
@M2S: Can you indicate if all of these can be covered in 3 days? It would help me planning my stay...

Thanks in advance!
Yes, it is possible. Just keep in mind that the eiffel would require about 2 hours of standing in line.
For others you would be able to do in about 1 hr at an avg waiting and then about the same time visiting.
If u are taking the guided tours to the collosium (which are strongly recommended) it will take about 2 hrs and so will the vatican .

Check the museum pass, it allows u to cut lines in some places and go straight to security. Check if they have the museums u want on the list.

For Lido (its on the champs elysees) u will have to book atleast 2 days in advance to be able to get a place. oh yeah n take ur formals if u wanna do this. I was told by the enquiry guys "to be dressed properly for an entry"

Last edited by sammyboy : 15th July 2008 at 18:58.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:38   #28
BHPian

Hi sschivate. You heard it from Sammyboy. It's possible.
In fact, if you take a city tour, you can cover most of the sightseeing places in 1 single day, use the 2nd day in Paris to visit disneyland which I forgot to mention in my earlier post. You SHOULD go to Disneyland if you're goin to Paris. It's amazing.
As for the sighseeing in Rome, you can cover that in 1 single day.
Hope it helps.
Cheers!
M2S
PS: For clarification: Is it 3 days each in Paris and Rome or 3 days total.
Old 15th July 2008, 22:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh and there is a little Pizzeria Rustica near the Termini in Rome - you must try the Pizza with the black olives. And if you are facing la fontana Trevi, on the right is a little gelato shop where all the flavours are worth dying for.
Quote:
As for the sighseeing in Rome, you can cover that in 1 single day.
No Sir you cannot. It was not built in a day and you can never see it in one.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th July 2008 at 22:53.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
No Sir you cannot. It was not built in a day and you can never see it in one.
Sure! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was any other city but yet, we are able to visit the major sightseeings which can be covered in a day.

@ sschivate: You can take the Open City Tour which offers you the opportunity to enjoy a wonderful hop on - hop off experience, with an itinerary including 14 stops at the most famous sites in Rome with 2 hours commentary The Main departure points are
Main Departure PointsVastour Terminal (via Piemonte, 34) - Via Ludovisi (in front of Swiss School) - Piazza Barberini (at the corner with via della Purificazione) - Piazza della Repubblica (in front of Exedra hotel) - Termini railway station (piazza dei Cinquecento, left side in front of the arcades) - St. Maria Maggiore (via Liberiana 16) - Piazza Venezia (at the corner with via dei Fori Imperiali - not operated on Sundays and holidays) - Colosseo (via di San Gregorio, next to the entrance to the Roman Forum) - Via del Circo Massimo (Piazzale Ugo LaMalfa) - Isola Tiberina (Piazza Monte Savello) - Corso Vittorio (piazza della Chiesa Nuova) - San Pietro (Via della Conciliazione, in front of Caffe' San Pietro) - Castel S. Angelo (Ponte S. Angelo- Lungotevere Castello) - Ponte Umberto I (lungo Tevere Marzio-Piazza Augusto Imperatore.

However, one should note that the Ticket is valid for 24 hours. The bus stop Colosseo is not available on Sundays and national holidays.

Hope this helps

Holla!
M2S

Most Viewed