Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2015, 15:20   #181
BHPian

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Had a query regarding navigating Trichy town for going to Dindigul. Last time I took this route, had a tough time due to some overbridge construction. Is there any way to avoid this section ?

Google maps shows a different route which takes me throug Viralimala and then on to Manapparai.
Is this better when compared to navigating through Trichy town ?
Old 1st April 2015, 15:32   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Had a query regarding navigating Trichy town for going to Dindigul. Last time I took this route, had a tough time due to some overbridge construction. Is there any way to avoid this section ?

Google maps shows a different route which takes me throug Viralimala and then on to Manapparai.
IN the Trichy bypass, at this point, https://goo.gl/maps/19uP6 the road towards Madurai via Viralimalai takes the flyover. Keep below the flyover to go to Dindigul on NH45
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 15:34   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post

I think once you cross the Madurai exit, its quite clean. Maybe regulars can comment better. But as per its mostly done and it should not be a problem.
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:48   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
IN the Trichy bypass, at this point, https://goo.gl/maps/19uP6 the road towards Madurai via Viralimalai takes the flyover. Keep below the flyover to go to Dindigul on NH45
I took this route last week to Palani.It goes through the City a bit via Railway Station (or Bus Station am not too sure) and Sangeetha Hotel before you hit the Manapparai-Dindugal road (which after a few kms inside Trichy becomes a fully functional 4 lane road) which is in excellent condition.The Overbridge Construction is still not complete but the roads are drivable though with one or two craters.

Last edited by ramanak : 2nd April 2015 at 11:52.
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:39   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
I took this route last week to Palani.It goes through the City a bit via Railway Station (or Bus Station am not too sure) and Sangeetha Hotel before you hit the Manapparai-Dindugal road
The Dindigul road branches off (left) immediately after the Trichy junction bridge on NH45. You have to take a right at the roundabout to get to Main Bus Stand and Sangeethas.
Old 4th April 2015, 14:53   #186
BHPian

I too missed the exit from the flyovers once while going to Kodai. So keep a look out for Jamal Mohammad College on the left. Once you cross it, take the next available exit from the highway and go underneath. After that as, mentioned above its quite easy to navigate through the city.
Old 30th April 2016, 00:24   #187
BHPian

Did Chennai -> Trichy -> Dindigul -> Batlagundu -> Kodaikanal on Apr 24. Started from Vandalur, Chennai at 5:20AM, reached Kodaikanal at 1:20PM (500KMs).

Chennai - Trichy is one of the best stretches I have done in South India so far. Tarmac is perfect black and smooth and you feel like your vehicle is sliding. Moderate traffic which moves quite fast.

Failry easy to Bypass Trichy for Chennai - Madurai. But if you are doing Chennai - Dindigul, it's highly likely that you'll miss the turn. The bypassing flyovers were so smooth that I just kept on driving. I used a village road to get back to NH45 from NH45B (to Madurai). Road was typical village road. Lots of potholes and 1.25 lanes wide. I didn't go back to Trichy since the village road was only 4 KMs and was quite manageable. It does have a railway level crossing though.

Name:  Screenshot20160430000521EQ_w1Rk6.png
Views: 2586
Size:  250.3 KB
Village road connecting NH45-NH45B.

Trichy - Dindigul is like NH-7/NH-44. Perfect tarmac but no traffic.

Road from Dindigul to the Kodaikanal turn is two lanes with paved shoulders. On this stretch, everyone drives like crazy fast, so be careful. Batlagundu still doesn't have a bypass and takes 10 minutes to cross. Work is in progress for bypass.

Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries-screenshot20160430001947xiagzv76.png
Batlagundu Bypass

TN SH-156 all the way to Kodaikanal is of fair quality. Broken only at a few places.
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 15:19   #188
BHPian

Re: Awesome Weekend breakout : Drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal

I am planning to drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Dindigul this September. Can anyone please inform about the weather conditions in the month of September.
Old 1st August 2016, 08:57   #189
Team-BHP Support

Re: Awesome Weekend breakout : Drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I am planning to drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Dindigul this September. Can anyone please inform about the weather conditions in the month of September.
Please do keep tabs on this Bangalore-Kodai thread as well for more info.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nkanni-12.html
Old 17th December 2017, 11:10   #190
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

I am planning to drive down to Kodai during Christmas via dindigul. How are the roads now? Anything to be aware of? This is my first time driving on ghat roads, so I am planning to do the climb during daylight hours.

Also, any recommendations on a good veg restaurant after Dindigul?
Old 4th May 2018, 13:17   #191
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm planning to do Chennai to Kodaikanal next week in my Elite I20 Asta 1.2. Going through the thread, I'm still confused to take an appropriate turn for Kodaikananal from Trichy Dindugal road. Did anyone visit kodaikanal recently? Please share your suggestions on the route, road conditions and the better time to start from Chennai. that would help to me plan accordingly.
Old 4th May 2018, 15:00   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi All,

I'm planning to do Chennai to Kodaikanal next week in my Elite I20 Asta 1.2. Going through the thread, I'm still confused to take an appropriate turn for Kodaikananal from Trichy Dindugal road. Did anyone visit kodaikanal recently? Please share your suggestions on the route, road conditions and the better time to start from Chennai. that would help to me plan accordingly.

Cross Dindigul and take the Theni road. It's a bit long but neatly paved surface all along. The Palani route was a bit broken but still motorable.

Have an early start to beat the morning rush. It takes about 6-7hours to Dindigul from my home at medavakkam with breaks. And another 2.5 to 3 hrs to Kodaikanal. If travelling along with the weekend travellers start as early as 4AM and rest after Villupuram. The early start is worth When compared to the queues at the first two toll booths where you end up wasting more time neither driving nor resting.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:42   #193
BHPian

Successfully completed the trip last week with the experience of stranded in the middle of hairpin bends due to clutch push rod broken.

Started by 5AM in Thoraipakkam and crossed Trichy at 9AM, starting climbing the hill around 11AM. There the problem started by completing 16KM in the ghats. While climbing one of the steep, I was changing the gear 3-2, suddenly the clutch pedal became rock hard and I'm unable to depress it. Engine was still running with good RPM, but gears aren't engaging due to clutch problem. Since this is new thing to me, I have fully pressed the pedal forcefully which resulted the pedal pressed in with some broken sound. After that pedal became very loose.

Started the panic lamps on and with the help of local Highways Department man, moved the car behind to the reasonable safer place. Calling hyundai RSA didn't work and called the hotel guy in Kodaikanal and he asked one of the local mechanic to call me back. Fortunately that Mechanic was climbing down by towing one of the car from Kodaikanal. He reached the place after 3 hours. By that time whoever passed by told us that Clutch gone and better call from tow to Madurai as the nearest Hyundai Service Center.

I was very clear that Clutch didn't burn as there's no oil spill or burning smell etc. It's something which got broken due to my fault. However, the Mechanic immediately checked it and told all Hyundai Cars coming with plastic clutch push rod which got broken due to my hard press. Since there's no part available there (and even Madurai), he told us that he'll fix the broken rod with the tape and he asked me drop the car at his garage which is 15Kms above. He asked me not to use the clutch much. At 4PM we have started climbing with that setup and reached his garage in Perumal Malai. Used only 2nd gear through the uphill.

Then we called our hotel guy to send a car to pick us up. Spent next day in Kodaikanal with full day sight seeing. Mechanic called me that day and told the spare wasn't available around and he said he'll make the push rod more stiffer and stronger which would not break in any condition. Since no other fault in the system, there won't be any issue he told.

I came back to Perumal Malai next day with family and started the car from there to Chennai. Throughout the downhill, have not used the clutch at all as mostly did with 2nd gear. Once reached the plains i've shifted to 4 and maintained all the way to Trichy CITY. With very minimal clutch usage I've reached home by 7:30 PM that day safely with gods grace. Fortunately not much situations faced to use the clutch often.

Went to the service center next day and told the same story. All got changed (clutch system) with very reasonable amount (as my car comes under extended warranty and the pedal was broken due to some issue). I paid for only consumables and the labor. Not for any parts. Car got fully ready on that day evening itself and running with new clutch system.

Last edited by Jebs : 21st May 2018 at 16:43. Reason: Additional info
Jebs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 23:07   #194
BHPian

Planning for chennai - Kodai trip next week. Has anyone done this trip recently. Hope roads are in good shape!! Any suggestion please share. Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 10:59   #195
BHPian

The roads are good. Easiest way is Madras - Dindugal (Can be done in 6 hrs if departure time is chosen properly). From there on is another 2-2.5 hrs.

There are two options to avoid the mess till singaperumal kovil (flyovers in vandalur, kattangulathur, guduvanchery, constant traffic till chengalpet).

1. Take the Oragadam - singaperumal kovil route https://goo.gl/maps/cKeZ4ZmzjoC2

or

2. Take the Thiruporur - Chengelpet route https://goo.gl/maps/oES2PZfu9Ku

It usually takes 2 hours to get to Tambaram from Guduvanchery, especially if the travel is on a long weekend.
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks