Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 15:58   #76
BHPian

From Trichy to Theni was great in August,10. Can't say now.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:27   #77
Team-BHP Support

Trichy Dindigul is also 4L all the way. And then the route till Theni is 2L.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Manav and Ampere...

Ampere: Do I need to take the Theni route from Dindigul to go to Batlagundu-Kodai ghat? If the road till Dindigul from Madras is 4L, I guess the travel time should be about 6.5 hours at moderate speed - 90-100k?

Appreciate your inputs.....
Old 7th December 2010, 12:26   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Amp and Manav

Amp: Going by your inputs, Madras-Dindigul is 4L all the way. However, I think I'll have to drive through Trichy town for a bit (heard there is no bye-pass). Keeping this in mind and a couple of quick stops, an estimate of 6.5 hours should be ok till Dindigul?

Appreciate your inputs.....
Old 7th December 2010, 13:35   #80
BHPian

yeah 6.5 Is a good estimate.but from Batalgundu to Kodai takes time (think 2.5-3 hrs) due to ghat roads.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:48   #81
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure of the bypass at Trichy. @pypkmsrikanth should be able to help.
Also correction to my previous post (Sorry for that). 4L is not fully complete between Trichy and Dindigul, but almost.
Should not take much time.

You need to take the Theni road from Dindigul and get of the NH45 at Vatlagundu.

Last edited by ampere : 7th December 2010 at 13:50.
Old 7th December 2010, 14:11   #82
BHPian

Thanks again both Amp and Manav.

I've been to Kodai a dozen times (at least), but only driven there once from Madras and this was about 2-3 years back and the other time we drove down from Coimbatore.

I drove back via Palani to Madras as the roads we took during the onward drive were horrible past Tindivanam. But this time, I'm told that the Palani route is not good, especially the ghat section and it's definitely longer.

Must say that I'm really impressed with the "TAT" for replies/ advice! Thanks again folks.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:19   #83
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure of any hotels on this stretch. (Trichy-Dindigul)
Old 7th December 2010, 23:32   #84
Senior - BHPian

Trichy-Dindigul is not yet 4-laned and the road has lots of debris and detours that make night driving a little risky.

Trichy is bypassed when you come on NH45 and you can also continue towards Dindigul that way without getting into the city.
Old 7th December 2010, 23:39   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Trichy-Dindigul is not yet 4-laned and the road has lots of debris and detours that make night driving a little risky.

Trichy is bypassed when you come on NH45 and you can also continue towards Dindigul that way without getting into the city.
I was not aware of the Debris on the road sides. I thought for most part 4 lane work is over except for around Dindigul.

So one should be able to do Trichy-Dindigul in about 2 hours.
Correct me if I am wrong sir.
Old 8th December 2010, 00:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Trichy - Dindigul should take an hour and forty five minutes with some sedate driving. It is better to go via Bathalagundu as the Palani road is badly damaged expect some bottlenecks on this road as well though nothing to worry about.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:59   #87
BHPian

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Thanks HV Kumar, Srikanth and Ampere

@Srikanth - I'm definitely not taking Palani route. I've taken it before, it's definitely more scenic and tough to drive through. But I heard that there have been lot of landslides of late and road quality is bad.

@HV Kumar - Many thanks! I definitely won't be driving at night on the highway. A little disappointed to read that this stretch is bad.

@Amp - Thanks! I plan to stop at Trichy, thankfully I have a young bunch of passengers

Will update yall once I'm back from the trip, hopefully with some snaps. Thanks again.
Old 4th January 2011, 11:27   #88
BHPian

Dear Tripper....

I am thinking of driving down to Kodai from Chennai during the Pongal weekend - any feedback from your drive would be really appreciated...

thanks
vimal
[quote=RoadTripper;2170607]
Old 10th January 2011, 12:48   #89
BHPian

[quote=StudioAbraham;2196180]Dear Tripper....

I am thinking of driving down to Kodai from Chennai during the Pongal weekend - any feedback from your drive would be really appreciated...

thanks
vimal

Hi Vimal

Depending on which part of Madras you're starting from, I'd suggest you take the Bye-Pass from Maduravoyal and head down to Tambaram. Would take you about 25-30 minutes max, awesome road. There's one toll plaza here and you'll connect with the NH 45 (I guess) at Tambaram.

From there it's a breeze until Trichy (max of 4.5 hours). There's an Adyar Anand Bhavan (A2B) at Ulundurpet - you will have to take a U-turn to get there. Just after Srirangam there's a slight detour to avoid Trichy town (4 Lane). This will take you on the outer periphery (you'll go over the Cauvery Bridge) and take you to the Trichy Junction (Railway Station) bridge. Once you get off the bridge, there's a left you'll have to take to Dindigul (Indian Oil Bunk on the left before the turn) - Ask for the Manapparai-Dindigul road. However, please stop for help with directions! The Trichy-Manapparai-Dindigul stretch would take about 2-2.5 hours max (roughly 100-110 Km).

The stretch is bad initially and once you hit the outskirts of Trichy, it gets better and leads to a 4-Lane Road that's under construction in bits. Watch out for frequent diversion boards as well as oncoming traffic on your lane- please drive in daylight if possible. This should take you about 2-2.5 hours max.

Once at Dindigul, please ask for directions for Batlagundu-Kodaikanal road. This is a State Highway, in excellent condition, albeit narrow in some places. This stretch should about 2.5 hours max.

After reaching Batlagundu, there's a T junction. Take the right here and head straight. It's a bit chaotic in patches. You'll pass a Dindigul Thalapakatti Biryani joint, soon after which there's a Right turn that you'll need to take for the ghat.

The Ghat road's in good shape, but there are certain patches that are bad due to landlslides that happened in Nov and Dec 2nd week. Please be careful as there's a lot of lose sand and gravel on a few of them.

In total your driving time (without stops) would range between 8.5-9 hours. I'd suggest that you leave home by at least 6 am in order to get to Kodai by about 4-5 pm, in which case you'll drive up the ghat with some daylight.

Have a great trip and drive safe!

cheerz
Old 16th May 2011, 10:17   #90
BHPian

So, whats the latest here since the last post in January? Any progress on the Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul section?

Velachery, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India to Kodaikanal Golf Club - Google Maps

Or is it advisable to continue on the NH towards Madurai (NH45) for a little bit more to take full advantage of the beautiful 4L and then take a right at Kottampatti petrol bunk as shown in the GM above?

So my question: (Please answer individually if possible)

1. Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul-KodaiRd-Batla or Trichy-Kottampatti-Dindigul-KodaiRd-Batla?

2. Forget Dindigul. Using the super-speed of 4L of NH45B and NH7, should I use Madurai-KodaiRd-Batla? How good is the Madurai-KodaiRd NH7? All done?

Thanks.

Most Viewed