Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 14:17   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Jeev, here's my update on Trichy-Dindigul 2 weeks back. For Kodai, Madurai is roundabout way, you might 100 odd kms more. IMO its not worth it unless you are clubbing along with Madurai. Take the NH45, only bottleneck might be Trichy city traffic.

EDIT: No idea about the Natham route. Have seen many diversions towards Manapparai, Dindigul during the 2-lane avatar of NH45B. Many of them have disappeared now though.

Last edited by narayans80 : 16th May 2011 at 14:22.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:02   #92
BHPian

I fill up the tank in Chennai.

1. Whats the next best place to fill up on the way to Kodai?

2. Are there new bunks on the NH close to Trichy?

Or should I go till Dindigul?

3. Inside the city or on the NH?

4. How do I go from Kodai to Coimbatore?

Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu to Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Route 1 - We did part of this on our way from Munnar to Kovai last Xmas.

Which one is advisable of the 3 routes in the above link?

5. How is the Kodai-Palani ghat road? blackstallion76 did it recently and has just a mention of good in a report I just read. 16th May. More details would be appreciated.

I am only interested in first hand reliable info from folks who have done/experienced the route/sections very recently - max in the past 3-4 months.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ulundurpet BP @ 197 km right side(this maybe little early, but this is the biggest one on this route)
BP COCO @ 285 km left side (seems like a new bunk. didnt see any crowd even at 730 pm)

All distances and directions are from Madras going south on NH45.

Palani-Udumalpet section of Route 1 is in mint condition.

All these are 3 week old infos, hope it helps !!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:48   #94
BHPian

Are there new bunks on the NH close to Trichy?

[/quote]

whenever i drive kodai i top the tank on a fuel station on the foot hills, after crossing vathlakundu the right turn goes to hills, this bunk is on the LHS after taking right... quality is also good...
RJ555 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

If you are filling up in Chennai you can opt to fill again at Trichy. You need to necessarily take the turn off to Jn. (marked near Hotel Grand Gardenia on Google maps) if you are to go via Dindigul so it makes sense for you to fill up either at Yashoda Agencies (BPCL) near the bus stand or IOC Pump on Dindigul Road.

It does not make sense for you to go inside Dindigul town as you would lose a lot of time better to stick to the bye pass and take the turn off to Vathalagundu. In case you do not refill at Trichy I suggest you opt for filling in any pump operated by the "Lorry Owners Association", they are always patronized by the truck drivers who are the best judges in my opinion of the pumps quality & quantity.

With regard to going to Coimbatore from Kodai the best route is to go via Udumalaipettai - Pollachi. But please keep in mind that the progress between Pollachi & Coimbatore is extremely slow. Road conditions are decent except at railway crossings which are in bad shape.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 21:44   #96
BHPian

Thanks to all three. This helps. @pypkmsrikanth Is the route as showed in the map below? So take right at Hotel Gardenia and left at the circle of St John's Church and after that the IOC bunk at the left. What about the Yashoda-BPCL at the bus-stand? Where will that be? Is it on the left side?

Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries-chennaitodindigul.jpg

At Dindigul we need to take the Theni Road - NH45 to reach Batla? Not to take the NH7 to Kodai Rd. Correct?
Old 26th May 2011, 08:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post

TVS-operated bunk on Trichy bypass...it comes on the left as you do Chennai-Kodai.
Old 26th May 2011, 11:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks to all three. This helps. @pypkmsrikanth Is the route as showed in the map below? So take right at Hotel Gardenia and left at the circle of St John's Church and after that the IOC bunk at the left. What about the Yashoda-BPCL at the bus-stand? Where will that be? Is it on the left side?
At Dindigul we need to take the Theni Road - NH45 to reach Batla? Not to take the NH7 to Kodai Rd. Correct?
To reach Yashoda BPCL you need to go all the way to Jn. Bus Stand. It is just before Bus Stand on the left hand side. Basically you will have to pass the Dindigul Rd. turn off point go to the fuel station refill and then trace your way back to the Dindigul Rd. turn off.

With regard to your query on Dindigul byepass, watch out for the detour towards Theni - Kodai. You will have to get off to the service road take a right under the bridge to join the Theni road.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:12   #99
BHPian

Thanks people. The last reply came in when we reached Kodai Anyway...

We had started with a full-tank from Chennai. We just had a one time full-tank fill at BP-Mohammed Ibrahim when we left the NH (which became NH45B) at Trichy just before (left-side) we took the underpass right-diversion towards Dindigul. This one time fill was good enough till we reached Coimbatore where we are currently.

Answer to (4): Route 3 is excellent and we think should be the de-facto new route for people from Palani to CBE henceforth. Dharapuram-Palladam-Sulur-CBE perfect!

Answer to (5): One of our top drives - better than Valparai-Athirapally falls - we thought. Fantastic views, curves and bends. 14 hairpins. Great vegetation to the edge of the road.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 28th May 2011 at 11:31.
jeevmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 21:49   #100
BHPian

Any idea if the Palani Kodai road? is open? Has anyone done that route? I was wondering if I could drive up and down since I have to visit Palani. I have never driven up that road but heard its very scenic. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 29th May 2011, 22:04   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Any idea if the Palani Kodai road? is open? Has anyone done that route? I was wondering if I could drive up and down since I have to visit Palani. I have never driven up that road but heard its very scenic. Any information will be appreciated.
Check with Navin.Raju. He said its open and he did that recently.

Here is his TL.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...odaikanal.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 22:17   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Any idea if the Palani Kodai road?...
Latest info about this route is in same page, above . Please see posts no. 92 and 99. You have your answer.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 15:23   #103
BHPian

i would also like to confirm this. went 2 weeks back via this route in a tempo traveler with college friends at around mid night in this route. didn't face any difficulties at all.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:59   #104
BHPian

Drove from Palani to Kodai on May 20, 2011. Distance of 60kms.
We started from Palani at 8:10pm and reached Kodai at 9:45pm.
Road is good. If you do it during the day, the view is very good (Have done this during daytime earlier).

Regards
Iridium.
iridium is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 11:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

Update on Trichy - Dindigul four laning: Except for about 10 kms from Trichy the 4 laning is almost complete including byepass for Manapparai, Vaiyampatti & Vada Madurai. There are about 3/4 diversions which are well marked. Took me exactly 90 minutes from Dindigul Byepass at Theni Turnoff to Trichy Jn. without exceed 90kmph. The stretch is now good enough for night travel as well in my opinion.

By the look of it the 10 kms stretch from Trichy would not be four laned, so we will have to wait for the connectivity between NH45 & NH45B. I am not sure of the status of the same as I did not see any work happening at NH45 side though I did see work happening at NH45B side when I had passed by a couple of months back.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks