Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 17:42   #1
BHPian

Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

I'm planning to do the Chennai-Kodaikanal next week and would like to know the best route. The route conditions, if anyone has done it recently will also be very helpful.

I searched around but could not find a Chennai-Kodai thread. If there's a thread already, Mods please merge the threads.
Old 2nd July 2008, 17:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

AFFAIK, there is only one way of reaching there, through chenglepet, villupuram, trichy, dindigul, vatlagoondu, kodai. A total distance of about 470 km.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:47   #3
BHPian

Yes E_L that was the route i was planning to take from chennai-koadi since i was planning for a break in Trichy for a night and planning to take up trichy-kodai the next day.

Was just wondering about the condition of NH-45. is it completed till Trichy?? Also any idea of the trichy-kodai route condition?
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Yes E_L that was the route i was planning to take from chennai-koadi since i was planning for a break in Trichy for a night and planning to take up trichy-kodai the next day.

Was just wondering about the condition of NH-45. is it completed till Trichy?? Also any idea of the trichy-kodai route condition?
Hi,
between tindivanam and trichy the 4 lane work is on at a hectic pace, expect many diversions .Road condition is good but a few traffic jams common between tindivanam and ulundurpet ,after that reasonably good as traffic eases out.
Trichy to Manaparai is a good road but potholed(been like that for long now?),manaparai to Dindigul is very good and onwards to Bathlagundu is a decent double road,to kodai should be ok as well,
drive safe and avoid night driving in this route.Very heavy traffic between evening to Morning.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:41   #5
BHPian

trichy kodai route is very good
went to kodai last month
the ghat road is smooth and wide,did it in sx4-enjoyed it.
over night halt at trichy is a good option
Old 3rd July 2008, 16:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are doing this by day, I dont think Tindivanam - Trichy would be an issue. The biggest bottleneck would be between Samayapuram and Trichy. Otherwise its a decent trip to make. If you dont mind doing an alternative route, you could try Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palani - Kodaikanal. This would certainly be longer but you get a scenic ghat road between Palani and Kodaikanal.
Old 3rd July 2008, 22:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
...Otherwise its a decent trip to make. If you dont mind doing an alternative route, you could try Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palani - Kodaikanal. This would certainly be longer but you get a scenic ghat road between Palani and Kodaikanal.

Or alternatively, Chennai-Villupuram-Trichy-Madurai-Dindigul-Palani-Kodai.

I have also heard that the Palani-Kodai route is more scenic.

Old 4th July 2008, 14:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Was just wondering about the condition of NH-45. is it completed till Trichy??
I recently(less than 3 weeks back) travelled between Trichy and Chennai by NH 45, in my SPARK. I was able to cover the distance from Trichy to Tambaram in 5hrs, without any break in between.

The road is excellent till Tindivanam. Beyond that, road expansion work is in progress. Still you would find the roads broad enough to accomodate 3 to 4 buses in parallel( If you are luck enough u can even find 3 buses trying to over take each other in parallel)

The condition of the roads beyond tindivanam is also very good, except for few places( this would be near major villages/towns), where road expansion has just started. I was able to driveat 120-140kmph pretty easily. One has to be careful enough to notice the take diversion boards at such speeds since there would be good amount of them.

I would suggest you to drive only during the day or at the max in the twilight.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Where is Mr highway Kumar? Even I am interested in this, plan to do a trip sometime soon.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you need to take a break in between. This can be done easily at a single stretch by even a newbie.
Old 4th July 2008, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have not Chennai-Kodai direct, but my section-wise speeds are as follows:

Chennai Guindy-Trichy, 4 hrs
Dindigul-Kodai, 2 hrs

Not done Trichy-Dindigul for a long time, but you can do that in 1 hr.

It is an easy day's drive, even with breaks for food.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, I have not Chennai-Kodai direct, but my section-wise speeds are as follows:

Chennai Guindy-Trichy, 4 hrs
Dindigul-Kodai, 2 hrs

Not done Trichy-Dindigul for a long time, but you can do that in 1 hr.

It is an easy day's drive, even with breaks for food.
Kumar, it's Dindukal, not Dindikul.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Well, maybe I am old fashioned, but I still know only Bombay, Madras, Bangalore and Trivandrum!!! So is the case with Dindigul/Dindukal.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
When did that change ???
Old 4th July 2008, 18:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

guys, you could also take GQ till krishnagiri, then take a left turn to salem, nammakkal, dindukss.. etc.. the roads are fairly good.

I did chennai [guindy] kodai 2 years back in my MG413W carb Hardtop in 8.5 hours. Left chennai at 4:00 am sharp to reach Kodai club for lunch! My gypsy gave me 11 kpl with three on board. I did the tindivanam route then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks