Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Your itinery is almost similar to what me and my wife did couple of years back !

You can book all the tours online or visit HPTDC office in Bangalore - its in front of Kapali theatre in Majestic. HP is a very tourist friendly state. Enjoy and do post pictures !!
msdivy - Thank you for your tips. I will most certainly follow the same. Please dont mind if I PM you for more info.

And me and my wife dont have motion sickness at all. If you know about the Genting Skyway trip during windy days, you will think this is child's play
Old 3rd July 2008, 18:39   #17
BHPian

For Manali- Delhi trip, Raj travel's Volvo buses are the best! You can book online at their site or through the agent
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yaar dekho,

Its just a mind issue. Its very nice to do all the crap in Shimla because its the first time or blah or blah.

I think its actually in reverse. BECAUSE he's spending a bundle and a half in coming down from Bengaluru I would much rather that he spends his precious time in truly fundoo places. if he was a delhiite who can be there every weekend, then one weekend in Shimla hurt no one. But him, nyahh! And current season - snowfall on Mall road?

Heck when CorsaLove can be at Rohtang experiencing almost frozen weather, why should you just settle for the concrete jungle of Shimla. But then again - that's just me. I don't want you to tickmark Shimla because everyone has been there. I want you to truly enjoy the best of Himalayas. But rest is what you want to make of it
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Sir ji, even though its concrete jungle, but it still charms me to see the snow fall sitting on the benches at the mall road.

Snow fall in August....oh god this global warming bug strikes here too
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And current season - snowfall on Mall road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

Snow fall in August....oh god this global warming bug strikes here too
Arey baba where did I said that it snows in shimla in august or this season.

I simply said that I STILL FEEL IT CHARMING TO SEE SNOWFALL WHILE ITS THERE.

Sorry If I used the confusing language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Smartly drive up to Hotel Holiday Home (HPTDC), park on their premises, use their washroom, peep into their restaurant & then walk out of their compound & down to the lifts

A slightly long walk but very secure parking nonetheless!
Hmm thats interesting.. Will try next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yaar dekho,
Its just a mind issue. Its very nice to do all the crap in Shimla because its the first time or blah or blah.
No its not a mind issue at all. Do you think he will come back again just for Shimla? You must be knowing alot of places in Himachal so you feel that Shimla just sucks. But for people far south Shimla is still Shimla. And missing it will mean missing something major.

So my point, one must go there once and decide if its good or bad.

Last edited by rkbharat : 3rd July 2008 at 21:28.
Old 4th July 2008, 05:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

IAC it is OT now since he is already made his rail bookings. Shimla or Simla????

It is not that Simla has nothing to offer. Walk beyond the usual "geri" route on the Mall towards Peterhof....and then Naldehra, Wildflowerhall, Mashobra, Vaknaghat, etc...nice day trips. Late night stroll on the Mall when it is devoid of crowds while licking a softy...

So what more can he do...push in your ideas.

One advice in Manali - do try and sample fresh trout if you are not a veggie ...and my lips are sealed on Malana gold.
Old 4th July 2008, 09:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

In Manali, try to book the Hadimba cottages, its worth every rupees you spend. and August will be offseason so you can get 40-50% discount. Should cost you around 1500 Rs per night.

Its 5 minutes walk from Mall road.

At last Himachal trip planned...Please help me guys!!-manali-39.jpg

At last Himachal trip planned...Please help me guys!!-manali-42.jpg

At last Himachal trip planned...Please help me guys!!-manali-58.jpg

At last Himachal trip planned...Please help me guys!!-manali-63.jpg
Old 4th July 2008, 09:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have stayed in Hadimba twice, and it is a great place. Although it is 1.5 kms from Mall and should take you more than 5 minutes. Taxis will come and pick you up on a phone call.
Old 4th July 2008, 09:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I have stayed in Hadimba twice, and it is a great place. Although it is 1.5 kms from Mall and should take you more than 5 minutes. Taxis will come and pick you up on a phone call.
Kumar Saab, you are right, around 1.5 Km, so going down is no probs, coming up is .

But its worths that walk, also I guess there is that famous Pizza Shop in the way, right?
Old 4th July 2008, 10:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am a great fan of one of the Tibetan food restaurants (can't remember the name, but has glass doors and lots of Dalai Lama photos there.
Old 4th July 2008, 10:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
also I guess there is that famous Pizza Shop in the way, right?
Got it, Forno - Authentic Italian pizzas, cooked on raw stoves/oven and not machine cooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am a great fan of one of the Tibetan food restaurants (can't remember the name, but has glass doors and lots of Dalai Lama photos there.
is it "Tibetan Kitchen" in Old Manali, next to the Clubhouse?

Last edited by rkbharat : 4th July 2008 at 10:51.
Old 8th July 2008, 00:11   #27
BHPian

Thanks a lot rkBharat and Kumar Sirji again for your help. My wife is right now talking to the hotel guys and should confirm the stay by tomorrow.

As my train tickets are booked, i cannot change anything there but I can add more places to see as we have ample time on our hands.

I thank everyone again for their help and hope to see more suggestions pouring in for this much awaited trip!
Old 8th July 2008, 07:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

At Manali you can make day trips to
Rohtang...very crowded during day time with tourists.
Manikaran hot springs...ditto but worth going
Naggar...visit Rorich's museum and see his paintings
Banjar/Shoja...offshoot o main Kullu valley
Buhantar...see angora wool farms (rabbit's wool)
One day Hikes...any check locally

For additional nights:
-Keylong...across Rohtang but worth a nights stay. HPTDC has a hotel there. On way see Sisu and enjoy momo's of Koksar. Plus buddhist monastaries.
-Jogindernagar/Barot...stay night at either place but do try the furnicular railway over the hill connecting the two-if and when it is working. See power hose on Uhl river working for last 80 years
-Rewalsar...nice calm lake with buddhits and sikh shrines
-Shoja...if you can manage bookings at Forest/PWD guest house

.....others pitch in.....
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Need Guidance on Himachal short trip

Folks,

I will be in Ludhiana towards end of March for about 10 days and I plan to drive up to Himachal for 3-4 days. Objective is to enjoy the scenic drive in Himachal - with say some rivers aside, some green stretches for loooong, with some apple orchids, flowers, and yes, if possible snow blah blah.

Along with me and my better half, there will be my 2 kids below 3 years and parents aged around 50. I have shortlisted Dalhousie. (hope this would be a better choice) Would look forward to suggestions / guidance in terms of driving directions, staying options, Food stops enroute, places to see and most importantly do's and dont's. I have never driven in the Himalayan range so far.

So requesting fellow BHPians to guide me. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:03   #30
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need Guidance on Himachal short trip

I can suggest a place called Peace Channels.
I was there a long time back. Not sure what all new places have come up in the mean time.

But the location of the resort was amazing and so was the food then.
(Peace Channels)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks