Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 17:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Great discussion here.

But what really stands out, apologies for being OT, is that HVK has the log of his trip done on Oct 2000!!!!
I have logs of all my trips done since 1986. But they are in Excel only after 2000 - rest is in 4 handwritten diaries.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2008, 17:17   #17
BHPian

One of our ex-CMs regularly used to do this distance in 2 hrs in his Merc. But then, he was the CM. I remember stories of his security team arriving more than an hour late in most cases.

My best speed is about 3.45, that too early morning through Kottayam (MC Road) route.

Last edited by appuchan : 4th July 2008 at 17:20.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

SB, After such a long time you brought up this point? However, if i recall correctly, i was the first one to pose this question to rippergeo as even i thought that 200km in 2 hours is almost none to impossible on anywhere on indian highways ( except maybe pune-mumbai which is not even 200km and NH4)

In a viva crdi, the best i clocked was covered 55kms in 30 minutes. I think this type of coverage is possible but long distances is quite tough. But, then if he has done it, then full salute to him.

Rippergeo, its not about the power of the car that will help you cover such distances in shorter time ( agree it helps to an extent) but, what importantly matters is road condition and the traffic density. If the latter does not pose any problems, then it "maybe" indeed possible to cover 200kms in 2 hours.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

I agree with akroy a lot. On the GQ from Bangalore to Chennai average speeds don't change much. Even taking into account the road from Hosur to Kanceepuram (probably the stretch with least traffic) a distance of 250 kms takes 2 hrs 15 mins. This in a Civic touching 160+ at times. Average speed is 110kmph. If this extends till Poonamallee the average speed drops to 105 kmph.

To do 100 kmph on a two lane as an average speed is probably taking the timing into account from city limit to city limit on a deserted afternoon/early morning during a sunday !!! Even then its sort of pushing the limit.

Remember doing Pondicherry outer to Chennai Thiruvanmayur in 90 mins flat on my Matiz. That was on a sunday afternoon on a new ECR in 2001. Must have been mad to do it. With the increase in traffic I don't think it would be possible today.

I'm in half a mind to challenge those who have done it to do it today... But that is suicidal... Now I know why driving in Kerala highways is madness. :-) No offense meant.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
No matter what, in a 2 laned indian road it is practically impossible to do an average of 100km, however capable the car is! To average 100km you have to be in 130-140kmph range consistently which is damn difficult job specially in the darkness. You can do in a one off time in a very fast car but that will be very very risky. I am sure SB is emphazising on safety part as well and not the speed part.

Abhi
Abhi, you will be surprised that NH47 between Triavndrum and Kochi is conventional 2 laned road, but for the last 25 kms from Chertala to Kochi bypass. Plus, the road is quite curvy and narrow in many places. The key to a fast drive on this sterch is a very fast drive for the first 770 kms (TVM-Kollam, 1 hour), and also the first 20 kms out of Kollam towards Alapuzha.

In the night, this route has absolutely no traffic, but beware of drunkards tottering on the road! (in any case, not around after 12 mid). On no occasion, would my fast driving been characterised as being rash, it was steady high speeds of 100 kmph plus, with top speed 140 kmph after Alapuzha.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:36   #21
BANNED

And your ex-CM's car has knocked down many people. And after a near fatal accident, he seem have learnt to respect speed or people, one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
One of our ex-CMs regularly used to do this distance in 2 hrs in his Merc. But then, he was the CM.
Qualis overtaking a Verna? Unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
BTW-I did maintain a steady speed of 110 most of the time, with top speeds of 160kmph and I was still overtaken and left in the dust by a qualis driven by 2 student type people near kollam.

Last edited by diabloo : 4th July 2008 at 17:40.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:44   #22
BANNED

I have done Dindigul to Trichy in 1 hour - this was in March 2005 in my Indica, left Dindigul at 12:30 pm and reached Trichy at 1:30 pm. Everything depends on the road conditions and traffic conditions.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Took 200 min in my old Bullet A350.

Most can cover this area coz they cover this road very frequently. I used to drive up/down every weekend.

I bet people gonna make records once Ktm-Kottarakara-Tvm road development completes. Its swoopy/twisty but great road once you know what and where.

Pot hole? Where?
Old 4th July 2008, 17:50   #24
BHPian

Guys, it totally depends on the time of the day and other factors like weekdays or bandhs etc. I myself have done kollam to cochin in 1h 30 mins. and tvm to kollam will be like another 40mins max. It was done in an indica dls! I started from kollam at 2:30am and was there at cochin at about 4:00am.

Last edited by nikhilv12 : 4th July 2008 at 17:54.
Old 4th July 2008, 17:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I bet people gonna make records once Ktm-Kottarakara-Tvm road development completes. Its swoopy/twisty but great road once you know what and where.
How is work progressing? When is expected completion dae? Is it for full M C Road (till Angamali)?
Old 4th July 2008, 18:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

yeah if its at early morn and all doable, have done it twice 2.15 hours TVM-Cochin

6 hours CBE -TVM is also possible on a zen in peak hours (230pm start from CBE) This before 4 lanes and all, also construction of ambalapuzha fly over era.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
yeah if its at early morn and all doable, have done it twice 2.15 hours TVM-Cochin

6 hours CBE -TVM is also possible on a zen in peak hours (230pm start from CBE) This before 4 lanes and all, also construction of ambalapuzha fly over era.
I have done Trivanrum-Coimbatore in 4 hrs 40 minutes, starting from TVM at 310 am, reaching Coimbatore Ukkaam at 750 am, 390 kms.

Coimbatore-Trivandrum was a little slower, leaving Coimbatore at 225 am, reaching TVM at 750 am, which was 5 hrs 25 m. On his occasion, I was slow on EKM-TVM, which took me 2 hrs 40 mts.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, i have done chennai - bangalore in 3 hrs during 2000 when the GQ was a distant dream. (Counting from poonamalee to hosur border). We have to be a little bit more realistic claiming these figures lest someone tries to emulate us.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:47   #29
BANNED

Disagree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
That is the only way.

I know this route well - I am from Cochin, studied in Kollam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I agree! That is the ONLY time one will be able to do it.
I disagree guys!

I have done EKM-Kollam in 1h 30 mins +/- around afternoon. Leaving Kollam around 12:30pm. I had my lunch at Sarovaram around 2:00pm. Assume to add another 35mins to TVM-Kollam. Wow!!! This was about 4 years ago in an M800! That too the old SS80!!
Only thing is that we don't get any major speed breaking stuff on the way. Time is not much bigger a factor than some stupid traffic all along. Intelligent traffic ain't that big a problem.

These days too, there are enough possibilities to achieve the same timings.
Old 4th July 2008, 18:57   #30
BANNED

esteem_lover, what we are posting is times that have been done by each of us. I don't think any of us is encouraging rash driving on our highways. What each of us is really saying is: with proper planning and the right speeds on the right stretches, it is possible to cut down travel times.

I have done Bangalore to Thiruvanmiyur Chennai in varying times:
from MG Road BLR via GQ in 4:15 hours (non-stop), start at 4 pm Sunday
from Hebbal flyover BLR via NH4 in 5 hours (1 break), start at 6:30 am Saturday
from Hebbal via NH4 in 8 hours (1 break), 8 am start Friday - covered 4 km in the first 1 hour on the ORR!
from C V Raman Nagar via GQ in 6 hours (1 break), 6 pm start Thursday - took me 2 hours to reach Hosur!

The message is: Start early morning or late at night to avoid traffic and one will automatically see good times. Of course, you also need some luck on your side in terms of traffic.

Last edited by hrag : 4th July 2008 at 18:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks