Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 10:53   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Returned from Shimoga Jog Sirsi trip last weekend. This is my second visit in 3 months. And this time again, i took the Chitradurga Chennagiri Shimoga route. Good roads all along. Stretch between Chitradurga and Chennagiri is a littte rough, but easily motorable. Overall time taken was 4hrs and 40 mins with 20 mins break. For me, this will be the preferred route.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:45   #167
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

Travelled to Shimoga yesterday, left Bangalore at 5 and came back in the night at 10. Took the Bangalore - Channaraypatna - Arsikere - Shimoga route both ways and trust me it was pleasure to drive all the way with less traffic and my Santro returned a mileage of 19kmpl which is the highest till date.

Roads are all the way good except for one stretch between Birur & Tarikere which should be re-laid very soon, as the work was in progress. Also the tolls were less crowded being a Sunday evening and it took me 6 hours while going and 7 hours while coming back.

I would recommend this route as the traffic is sparse and not tiring.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:50   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I would recommend this route as the traffic is sparse and not tiring.
The only caveat being, if you dont get stuck in the Hassan traffic and toll. Else its really a good option.
Old 17th November 2014, 12:57   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only caveat being, if you dont get stuck in the Hassan traffic and toll. Else its really a good option.
Yes you are right, the traffic was less in all the tolls and I was surprised to see people being disciplined and not cutting lanes in the toll, hence it was quick and fast.
Old 17th November 2014, 14:26   #170
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes you are right, the traffic was less in all the tolls and I was surprised to see people being disciplined and not cutting lanes in the toll, hence it was quick and fast.
Are there any good alternatives for Bangalore-Shimoga other than Tumkur-Arsikere, Channarayapatna-Arsikere and Chitradurga-Shimoga?

During holiday/long weekends all roads leading into Bangalore will be overcrowded with impatient drivers at the toll plazas creating multiple additional lanes and cutting into the correct lanes leading to toll booths
So the mantra for stress-free drives is to choose the day (weekdays are great) and time of travel.
Old 17th November 2014, 18:00   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Are there any good alternatives for Bangalore-Shimoga other than Tumkur-Arsikere, Channarayapatna-Arsikere and Chitradurga-Shimoga?
I don't think apart from these 3 routes there is an alternative to Shimoga from Bangalore with similar distance and time.

Still we can look for different options provided we have that mind set to drive a longer distance and without time as a barrier.
Old 17th November 2014, 20:18   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think apart from these 3 routes there is an alternative to Shimoga from Bangalore with similar distance and time.
The best option during crowded times is Chitradurga. But of course there is no guarantee that Nh4 wont be crowded at the tolls during the holiday season.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 18:31   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The best option during crowded times is Chitradurga. But of course there is no guarantee that Nh4 wont be crowded at the tolls during the holiday season.
I had an interesting experience when I drove out of Bangalore on 2nd October. It was a a long chain of holidays starting 2nd October and I never expected to find the kind of exodus that we experienced on Tumkur road at 7 AM!!

We were crawling somewhere near Nelamangala and I thought we'll never cross the toll booth that comes just before the Tumkur expressway. But to my surprise vehicles were moving fast. They had converted all but one inbound booth to outbound booths and in each lane there were two ticket issuers with a bucket load of change and at least two helpers and ushers. These guys were prepared for the rush and I was pleased to see that.

Ultimately its revenue and they would not want people to take alternative routes due to slow vehicle movement which will result in the loss of that revenue. So its almost like they are competing with other toll operators to attract more road users to their road. God bless competition!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th November 2014 at 18:33.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 10:49   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leaving for a Jog falls - Kollur - Sakrebyle elephant camp trip. Planning to start 3 AM from Whitefield tomorrow morning and 6 AM from Kollur on Saturday so as to reach home by Saturday evening. Need your help to plan it better.

1. Which of the above routes suggested for up and down travel?
2. Please Suggest a good petrol pump around Shimoga ?
3. Any good restaurants near Sagar for Friday lunch? prefer south Indian
4. Any good restaurants near Bhadravathi for Saturday lunch?
Old 27th November 2014, 11:48   #175
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Leaving for a Jog falls - Kollur - Sakrebyle elephant camp trip. Planning to start 3 AM from Whitefield tomorrow morning and 6 AM from Kollur on Saturday so as to reach home by Saturday evening. Need your help to plan it better....
See this post/thread for latest update on route to Kollur - Here
Suggest you take Chitradurga-Shimoga. Sakrebyle and Gajanur Dam are on the shimoga-tirthahalli route so slight detour for those visits if you're not going via Tirthahalli-Agumbe route. Agumbe closure is planned sometime in December, do check that also. In that case, you will have to visit these places, head back towards Shimoga and go on the Sagar (NH 206) route to Jog.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 12:57   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See this post/thread for latest update on route to Kollur - Here
Suggest you take Chitradurga-Shimoga. Sakrebyle and Gajanur Dam are on the shimoga-tirthahalli route so slight detour for those visits if you're not going via Tirthahalli-Agumbe route. Agumbe closure is planned sometime in December, do check that also. In that case, you will have to visit these places, head back towards Shimoga and go on the Sagar (NH 206) route to Jog.
Thank you. How is the tiptur- arsikare route? I plan to start early in the morning with the first stop at Preeti canteen birur.

Any suggestions on the hotels/ petrol station?

Last edited by arjithin : 27th November 2014 at 13:00.
Old 27th November 2014, 13:44   #177
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. How is the tiptur- arsikare route? I plan to start early in the morning with the first stop at Preeti canteen birur.

This route is good too. Avoid the Tumkur bypass (left turn immediately after Tumkur toll), instead go inside Tumkur town. 2 laned roads via Arsikere, but in good condition.
Petrol - fill up enroute Tumkur on NH4 itself. There are good IOC and BP petrol pumps between Nelamangala and Tumkur.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 19:32   #178
BHPian

Quote:

If you are looking for hotels in Sagar its Varadashree hotel and Madhura Hotel. These two are better compared to other hotels in Sagar. In case you are planning for a lunch or dinner, I would suggest you to visit shreedharashrama in Varadalli which is about 6 Kms from Sagar where Lunch and Dinner are provided in Ashram.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 16:05   #179
Senior - BHPian

Back from my Jog - Kollur - Kundadri trip. Here is my update:

Day 1
Started at 3 AM from whitefield
Took tiptur - Arsikare - Sagar - Jogfalls - Sagar -Ferry - Kollur road
Tumkur - Arsikere has got many unmarked speed breakers.
Near Shimoga you will find those 16 number speed breaker stripes at many places.
After Birur, there is one place where the road completely disappears for 100 meters.
Other than these and occasional rough patches, road surface is smooth.

Breakfast @ Hotel ShantiSagar, Tarikere (7:30AM). Good food & decent rest rooms,
Fuel stop at Shimoga (8:45AM, Bharagvi motor fules, Indian oil, 2 km after bus stand on left side. Mileage returned so far - 17.6kmpl
Jog falls around 10 AM
Lunch at Madhura hotel, Sagara - Average food, below average rest room
Ferry 1:30-2:30 PM
Kollur - 3:30 PM
Stay at Hotel Devikripa - DOuble non AC room Rs 450, decent room & toilets.

Day 2
Started at 6:30 AM from Kollur
Breakfast at Someshwara 8-8:30 AM @Hotel Mayur. Good food and clean toilets.
Kundadri Jain temple - 9:30 AM -10:00 AM.
Very steep climbs (Ritz could take them only on first gear), almost deserted (just 2 tourist families in 5 km radius, no cell phone coverage); but views from the top are worth the effort
Sakrebyle elephant camp - 11:20 -12:00. Reached just in time to see the elephants taking bath
Return was via Shimoga - CHitradurga route
This is one mistake I did. To reach Channagiri, I had to cross Shimoga town, and till Channagiri roads are very rough and with frequent speed breakers. Shimoga - Channagiri was the busiest traffic section I encountered in the whole trip ( other than Bangalore city limits)
After Channagiri you will find very good roads, but often with rough patches.
I will not suggest taking the Chitradurga route over the Arsikere route.

Lunch from KSRTC midway restaurant around 2.30pm
Fuel break @ BP COCO SIRA. Mileage returned in this section - 18.3kmpl
home at 6:30 PM.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 21:33   #180
BHPian

I will be travelling to Honnavar on 14-Dec-2014. Below is my itinerary for the long leave. For this trip I am avoiding long drive as I will be accompanied by my 1 year old daughter who does not like to spend time in the car.

14-Dec-2014
Bengaluru -> Tiptur -> Shimoga -> Hosanagara -> Nittur -> Kollur. Stay at Kollur.

15-Dec-2014
Kollur -> Vandse -> Kundapur -> Kumbashi (Visit Anegudde Ganapati Temple) -> Maravanthe -> Uppunda -> Baindur -> Bhatkal -> Shirali. Stay at Shirali.

16-Dec-2014
Shirali -> Idagunji Ganapati Temple -> Honnavar. Stay at Honnavar.

17-Dec-2014
Honnavar -> Hadinabal -> Kodkani -> Jog -> Varadalli -> Sagar. Stay at Sagar.

18-Dec-2014
Sagar -> Shimoga -> Birur -> Tumkur -> Bengaluru.

I am fine with most of the road conditions however not sure about Kumbashi to Bhatkal stretch. Can anyone help me with the current road conditions at this stretch? All of the places where I will be staying has one or the other relatives except at Kollur. Could anyone please do let me know stay options there. As 14-Dec-2014 is Sunday do I have to book the rooms in advance?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks