Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2015, 14:54   #226
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Arsikere CCD is an option but it will take further 30-40 mins from Hirisave.
Unless you're reaching around Yediyur/Bellur Cross before 6:30am, you can stop at Swathi Delicacy on right side before Yediyur or Mayura at Bellur Cross on left. There is also an Adigas Grand near Swathi. No detours required for these, all on the NH48 Hassan/Mangalore highway.
Once you get to the Arsikere turn off, there are no options so your next possible stops will be CCD Arsikere or Preethi Canteen, Birur.

Last edited by NPV : 14th August 2015 at 14:55.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 09:06   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It is one of the most shabbily managed Kamat I been to.
Would suggest either Athiti opposite to Kamat or Mayura I had mentioned earlier.
Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why not stick to the time and tested Swathi, Adigas or Mayura in and around Belur Cross? They are far better than the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Once you get to the Arsikere turn off, there are no options so your next possible stops will be CCD Arsikere or Preethi Canteen, Birur.

Thanks buddies!

Based on your inputs, had decided a two pit-stop strategy . A short toilet break at Adiga / Swathi delicacy and another long break at CCD Arsikere.

However, my kid and family were sound asleep all the way till Arsikere.. So, just took one pit-stop @ CCD Arsikere. Started from Jayanagar yesterday 3:10 pm and reached home at 8:50 PM with a total drive time of 5 hrs.

Driving with lights after the CCD break was painful with high beams from on-coming traffic. What is otherwise a decent road to drive on, becomes treacherous with its occasional speed breakers and pot holes due to the blinding lights.

Will head back on Sunday post lunch. I am sure driving on NH-48 with lights will not be as painful. Hope, the traffic will not very high.

@NPV, does Preethi canteen have toilets, I am guessing not. Can you please confirm?

Last edited by naut : 15th August 2015 at 09:09. Reason: Edits
Old 15th August 2015, 09:29   #228
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@NPV, does Preethi canteen have toilets, I am guessing not. Can you please confirm?
I haven't been there yet, but read a lot on these forums. Checked again on the other threads and I couldn't find anyone mention that it has good restrooms though a lot of folks have (like you) asked if it has one! Many even suggest having them serve the food to your car so it is a small place definitely. Are you thinking about a stop here on your return ?
If so, another option is the Matha Sagar at Kibbanahalli cross (KB) on NH206, only thing is you can't take Arsikere-CR Patna route to get to KB Cross - it is past Arsikere & Tiptur on the way to Tumkur.
They have decent toilets outside the hotel in the same (large) campus that has a marriage hall, ATM, shops, etc.

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2015 at 09:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 09:59   #229
adu
BHPian

Now that the Shiradi Ghat route has opened up for traffic to Mangalore, has the traffic on the Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Tarikere-Shimoga route reduced? The last time I drove on this route about 5 months ago, the traffic was crazy and overtaking was taking up to 10 minutes at times due to the HTV traffic.
Old 15th August 2015, 10:02   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If so, another option is the Matha Sagar at Kibbanahalli cross (KB) on NH206, only thing is you can't take Arsikere-CR Patna route to get to KB Cross - it is past Arsikere & Tiptur on the way to Tumkur.
Yeah! Been there. The Kamat in tiptur town is a decent option as well. Since NH-48 is a better route, I've stopped talking NH206.

Also return journey isn't a problem. Starting from bhadravathi, I will reach Mayura, Adiga or Swathi delicacy in about 3 hrs. Perfect time for a stop over.

The problem is onward journey, although CCD is a good place and has very clean restrooms, I just don't like the food served there. My kid has had stomach upset after having the stuff they serve! So have to carry stuff from home for him. So the wait for a good joint Arsikere continues!
Old 15th August 2015, 12:15   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Now that the Shiradi Ghat route has opened up for traffic to Mangalore, has the traffic on the Tumkur-Tiptur-Arsikere-Tarikere-Shimoga route reduced?
Not sure about the South-Canara traffic.

I do know that a lot of people living in these small towns (Kadur, Birur, Arsikere, Tarikere, Bhadravathi, Shimoga), travel between the towns. Hence the traffic. It is less during the early hours of the day & in the afternoon. It is really bad in the evenings before it reduces during the night.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:40   #232
BHPian

Returned yesterday evening via the same route i.e. Bhadravati - Arsikere - CR Patna - NH-48 - Bangalore. Started @ 3:00 PM and reached home at 9:45 PM. Drive time was 5 h 45 mins during the return journey. Onward journey on Friday was just under 5h.

Encountered lot of traffic on NH-48. Spent almost 10+ mins at each of the toll booths on NH-48. There was a crazy jam at Nelamangala (where travelers from NH-48 need to take a right turn under NH-4) due to cars from NH-48 taking a right by getting on to the wrong lane blocking everybody else. Add to it, two slow poke truck-trailers on the elevated highway ensured that the turbo charger on my car had cooled down fully before we reached home .

Anyway, the best part of the journey was driving in the rains between Arsikere-CR Patna, watching a train crossing with my kid and last but not the least, the food @ "Swathi Delicacy". I am thoroughly impressed with the lightning fast service, the quality of food and clean restrooms @ Swathi. Will surely visit them many more times in the days to come. How I wish there was a similar place near Arsikere for my onward journeys.

Overall, in-spite of the longer return journey, I still like the route. It's way better than NH-206. One will have to plan better and return on days when the traffic is expected to be less. Perhaps, head back on a Monday rather than a Sunday and definitely so if it is a long weekend.

Hope this helps other travel freaks from my part of the state.. Cheers.

Last edited by naut : 17th August 2015 at 11:45.
naut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Encountered lot of traffic on NH-48. Spent almost 10+ mins at each of the toll booths on NH-48. There was a crazy jam at Nelamangala (where travelers from NH-48 need to take a right turn under NH-4) due to cars from NH-48 taking a right by getting on to the wrong lane blocking everybody else.
This is the problem every weekend at this junction, I am not sure who planned that exit after coming from a beautiful 6 lane road. Wish something better happens at that junction to overcome all this mishap.

Quote:
Overall, in-spite of the longer return journey, I still like the route. It's way better than NH-206. One will have to plan better and return on days when the traffic is expected to be less. Perhaps, head back on a Monday rather than a Sunday and definitely so if it is a long weekend.
This is always the best route according to me with sparse traffic between CR Patna and Arasikere. And yes if you do this route on a Monday morning, you can do it under 4 hours flat and happily go to office.
Old 17th August 2015, 12:44   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hope this helps other travel freaks from my part of the state.. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
This is always the best route according to me with sparse traffic between CR Patna and Arasikere. And yes if you do this route on a Monday morning, you can do it under 4 hours flat and happily go to office.
These days there is no difference between NH 48 (or NH 75) and the SH 17 (Bangalore Mysore road) on a Sunday evening, long weekend or not. If at all it is feasible, I would suggest doing an early morning start from your place and zip through very minimum traffic to reach Bangalore by 8-8.30 am before peak hour traffic builds up.

I have been doing this for the past few years now (both from Hassan and Mysore) to reach Bangalore and I can say I am less stressed out
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 19:40   #235
BANNED

Heading to shivamogga in the morning tomorrow, planning to leave at 6am from Marathalli. Please suggest a good eating option on the way. I play to take a left at Nelamangala and not through Tumkur.
Old 4th September 2015, 20:41   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
Heading to shivamogga in the morning tomorrow, planning to leave at 6am from Marathalli. Please suggest a good eating option on the way. I play to take a left at Nelamangala and not through Tumkur.
- Swathi Delicacy: 8km after Kunigal bypass on the other side
- Just a bit ahead : Adigas
- After Belur cross toll, CCD and Mayura
Old 6th September 2015, 07:46   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
After you take the left from Neelamangala towards Hasssan, about 20-25 minutes of drive will get you to Shark Food Court on your left. Decent to tasty south Indian breakfast, good enough parking space and clean toilets. This is if you want an early breakfast right after crossing Bangalore. I found the place pretty acceptable.
Old 7th September 2015, 18:47   #238
BHPian

Guys, rains near Shimoga/Jog area?
Old 7th September 2015, 19:08   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Guys, rains near Shimoga/Jog area?
As of today rain is too less in Sagar. However you can expect rain at any point of time as the temperature is raising on this area.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 19:11   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
As of today rain is too less in Sagar. However you can expect rain at any point of time as the temperature is raising on this area.
Thanks Badri! Planning to visit Jog this weekend, fearing I may see just a trickle like the previous trip!

Don't want to drive around in the sun around Shimoga lol, it gets really hot there.

Most Viewed