Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:11   #511
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Query for Bangalore-Kumta routing based on current conditions.

Which of these is better ?
Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara-Kumta
Or Chitradurga-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara-Kumta ?
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:56   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara-Kumta
Or Chitradurga-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara-Kumta ?
Chitradurga-Shimoga-Sagar-Honnavara-Kumta would be the better route.Apart from a small stretch closer to Shimoga, roads are all good. If you want to drive through a less traffic scenic route take Sagara - Kargal - Bhatkal - Honnavara route.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 09:15   #513
Team-BHP Support

Any update on the 4-lane status of the Tumkur-Shimoga section? How are the bypasses coming along? Has anyone tried it recently or all are happy using the Tumkur-Chitradurga-Shimoga option

Also is the plan to 4-lane all the wall till Honnavar? Seems difficult on the ghats.
Old 19th September 2023, 23:23   #514
BHPian

I just took Tumkur-Durga- Shimoga but felt the route boring with sub-par Mysore cafe for a pit-stop. I felt the place has deteriorated a lot. Not sure if the new parallel highway added to the misery. I missed the left turn and ended up taking the longish and complicated way to reach Mysore Cafe.

The misery of Tumkur road traffic continues till you clear Tumkur. There are some rough patches till you are away from Durga. The road is almost good but painful town of Holehonnur and the Bhadra bridge.

I also did Shimoga-Arasalu. The road has a lot of rough patches now. It used to be smooth sometime back. The four-laning is planned till Anandapura but definitely needed till Ayanur as no forest till Ayanur and has significant traffic.

Also, the road from airport to the city is relaid but the road towards Lakkavalli and Stingeri needs an upgrade given many will use it with the new airport.
Old 20th September 2023, 06:40   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Also, the road from airport to the city is relaid but the road towards Lakkavalli and Stingeri needs an upgrade given many will use it with the new airport.
Is the new Shimoga bypass up? How is that construction on going?

Also I see no one has tried to take old NH206 which is also going through 4-lane. (Since I got no response to my previous question on this thread)
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:07   #516
BHPian

I saw outer bypass work at Sagar road (near PESIT) and Shimoga-Durga road but did not drive on that. Will explore next time just for curiosity.

While returning, took Shimoga-Lakkavalli-Tarikere-Arsikere-CR Patna. The road is good in patches but bypasses are not done and the drive inside the city is pathetic. I saw bad patches emerging in Arsikere-CR Patna as well.

Seems Durga option is better but for Tumkur road traffic and Mysore cafe.

Curious to hear from Hiriyur-Tarikere option.

Trivia - Kimmane resort is a good addition but the city needs more decent places for stay and seminar/conference given the airport, planned rail infra upgrade, vande bharat, beyond bengaluru etc..
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 22:24   #517
BHPian

We (family of 3 brothers and spouses with a teenager kid) are planning a trip to Humcha (via Shimoga) -> Chikmagalur -> Bengaluru next week. Our rides include my Alcazar and a small car (to rent/borrow) as we are 7 travelers and will have luggage - so cannot fit in my Alcazar.

Monday: The plan is to leave Bangalore leisurely by 9.00 AM on Monday morning and late lunch at Shimoga before proceeding to Humcha.
Tuesday: After some dharm-dhyan and lunch, we plan to travel to Java rain resort in Chikmagalur and reach by evening. This is completely new route for me to travel on.
Thursday: Travel back to Bengaluru

Need Suggestions for below:

BLR to Humcha Route: Via Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shimoga - Humcha
Is this route still the best surface for this journey? Also, since Shimoga will be far for lunch, any other good option suggested around Chitradurga for lunch? I once travelled further upto Davengere to keep Apoorva Resorts midway for food break but additional time made it counter productive.

Humcha to Chikamagalur: Google maps shows me the following routes:

Route A: Humcha - Shimoga - Bhadrawati - Tarikere - Chikkamagaluru (149 Kms)
Route B: Humcha - Hosapete - Ranganathapura - Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary - Tarikere - Chikkamagaluru (146 Kms)
Route C: Humcha - Konanduru - Melinagabadi (Solapur - Mangalore Hwy) - Shankarapura - Balehonnur - Chikkamagaluru (150 Kms)

Which of these route is safe, good surface and advise needed for pit stops on the route.

Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-humcha-chikamagalur.jpg
Old 11th October 2023, 06:19   #518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
Need Suggestions for below
To Humcha I think the route via Shimoga-Ayanur-Ripponpete-Humcha is perfect.

For the way back to Chikkamagulur, I would suggest: Thirthahalli-Koppa-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikkamagulur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 14:17   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
For the way back to Chikkamagulur, I would suggest: Thirthahalli-Koppa-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikkamagulur.
Back from my trip. Was usual Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Humcha route.

From Humcha to Cmagalur, took quoted suggestion from Ampere and loved the twisty roller coaster drive, especially Koppa - Balehonnur - Aldur stretch; where we stopped for some snaps near the tea estate. Road surface was mostly good to great. Though speed was in check due to terrain twists and free-roaming cows.

Thanks Ampere.
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-img_1856.jpeg
Haldian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2023, 11:54   #520
BHPian

Hi All, Wanted to know the latest status of the work going on the 4 laning of the Tumkur-Shivamogga road. Is it OK to take this road to reach Shivamogga from Bangalore?
how is the work progressing? Is it nearing completion? Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 22:07   #521
BHPian

What is the best route to Jog from Bengaluru, considering good breakfast options?
Old 5th December 2023, 09:56   #522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
What is the best route to Jog from Bengaluru, considering good breakfast options?
We have an entire thread on this topic!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...riences-8.html (Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks