Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:31   #376
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Is it worth riding out in this heat or wait for the monsoons? .....most scenic route to take to Shimoga ? I don't mind if it's longer as long as the roads are smooth enough for my precarious back..
The scenic routes are after Shimoga as the western ghat forest range starts after Shimoga ( towards Agumbe / Jog / Sringeri / Kodachadri). They are good even in crazy hot summer.

I suggest route to Shimoga via CR Patna - Arsikere as the route is smooth now. Chitradurga route can get hot. Early morning drive should be fine even now. I usually leave around 4am to reach around 10am. It gets hot during the afternoon nearing 37-38c.

You can wait for monsoon to really enjoy the area around Shimoga. However, drives after Shimoga are pleasent in the mornings and in the evenings even now.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:39   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Hello All, I am hoping to ride my bike to Shimoga from Bangalore this weekend 4-5th may. Is it worth riding out in this heat or wait for the monsoons? Can someone please advise the most scenic route to take to Shimoga ? I don't mind if it's longer as long as the roads are smooth enough for my precarious back. Thanks in advance!
Not commenting on whether you can ride in summer, as I do rides irrespective of season.

Coming to the route taken, we did a Kodachadri ride in Dec-17 and did Bangalore - Hassan - Chikkamagalur - Tarikere - Shimoga, this is by far the best route I have taken to Shimoga, mostly route is single lane after Hassan but in good condition.

Also it masks the summer effect to good extent with trees all along.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 2nd May 2018 at 08:41.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 21:26   #378
BHPian

Folks - road condition update on some sections.

Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Agumbe-Udupi is good all the way. It had rained yesterday night in the ghats. I started at 5.30 am from Shimoga and hit Udupi at 9.30 with breaks at Mayura (Thirthahalli), Seethanadi and Perdoor. Awesome is an understatement between Shimoga -Agumbe, it was so good that I just forgot it's roasting summer.

Agumbe Ghats is holding good, but the sad part is people are getting very agressive in the ghat.

On return, I did Kundapura-Siddapura-Hulikal-Hosanagara-Ripponpete-Shimoga.

Road is really good here also with Hulikal ghat being kind without the hairpin curves. My mother was awaiting the Agumbe grade curves, when I told her we are nearing Nagara, she thought I don't know the roads properly that side .

Hotel Seethanadi is a good option with huge parking space.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-img_20170502_094552.jpg  

aithalsandy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 10:25   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
One can stop at Mayura at Thirthahalli and Hotel Seethanadi at Seethanadi.
Hotels are available in plenty at Shimoga and the options at Thirthahalli too are not bad. Hotel Seethanadi is anyway beyond Thirthahalli and even Agumbe. I was speaking specifically of the stretch between Shimoga and Thirthahalli. Any eateries worth a stop there?

The tiny shop-canteen outside Sakrebyle Elephant Camp serves okayish breakfast. But he is often unable to meet the needs of all the visitors and moreover the place isn't neat or family friendly.
Old 5th May 2018, 11:06   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
stretch between Shimoga and Thirthahalli. Any eateries worth a stop there?

The tiny shop-canteen outside Sakrebyle Elephant Camp serves okayish breakfast...
There is a new place at Kudumallige for snacks and restroom, not a great place but manageable. I thinks it's Hotel Athithi, had stopped once there.

Bejjavalli, MaLoor, Megaravalli and Mandagadde may have small canteens but I never tried, will ask around from friends and relatives over there. Also, Agumbe has some, one needs some rest in summer/rains either coming up or going down to calm the people and the vehicle

I never tried anything at Sakrebyle and Gajanur. Not sure the expanded Jungle Lodge right opposite elephant camp at Sakrebyle offers anything for people not staying there. I know the canteen at Bandipur JLR is open to visitors also. But one can always visit the restroom at the reception at JLR Sakrebyle.

Last edited by aithalsandy : 5th May 2018 at 11:11.
Old 5th May 2018, 14:29   #381
BHPian

Got some inputs - small time eateries at Muduba, Mandagadde, Tudoor, Bejjavalli, Kudumallige. I suspect these are average and not to expect anything great..
Old 7th May 2018, 10:37   #382
BHPian

Folks,

I did a quick Shimoga-Thirthahalli-Koppa-NR Pura-Shimoga yesterday.

I was not at ease on Koppa-NR pura-Shimoga. Road quality was not consistent (Fantastic to good to bad). Some parts have been broken for upgrade.
Old 7th May 2018, 13:14   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a Shimoga BLR run yesterday. Left Shimoga around 2: 30 PM and reached home by about 8 PM with a half hour tea break. We were stuck for about 20 mins just after Tarikere due to a broken down lorry. Initially the plan was to take the Chanraypatna route for the good number of eateries on the way, but as soon as I found the Hosadurga turn off, I turned left as the traffic jam on BH road was continuing beyond this point. Being Sunday evening and peak of marriage season, the last few toll gates after Tumkur were an absolute nightmare. Even then the overall time taken wasn't too bad.

This was the first time I took this route and was pleasantly surprised. The road is like benne (butter) for the most part. And the best part is that right upto Hiriyur there is hardly any traffic. No lorries, no tractors and very few two wheelers. The road is freshly laid on most sections and well painted and marked. It keeps alternating between narrrow and wide, but mostly it is a wide smooth fresh tarmac with some nice curves and bends thrown it. You pass through a couple of small sleepy villages and Hosadurga , and that's it. A small stretch of about 3 kms is left orhpaned where you will find some big potholes and can come as a surprise when you first encounter them.

The average speeds here are definitely higher here than BH road or Arasikere - Chanraypatna stretch. Apart from the good roads we also enjoyed the different landscapes and scenery on offer. Flat lands with hardly any human civilization on both sides for as long as the eyes can see, with rocky mountains making up the horizon.

The downside of course is that there no eateries whatsoever and few may feel unsafe to even stop by the road side for whatever reasons. Cell phone networks are extremely weak and desert you quite often here.

Overall I have to agree with Google, this is the fastest route between Bangalore and Shimoga as of now.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 21:01   #384
BHPian

Folks,

I did another Shimoga-Thirthahalli run today. It had rained like hell for 2 hours from 5 to 7 with high speed wind. I had to stop the vehicle due to poor visibility and wind. Its crazy rain even for western ghats standards. I had to submit to it despite being born and brought up in the ghats.

Also, there was a blockage near to Narayana Hrudayala for 1hr, I had to go back and take the new Mattur-Hosahalli bridge to get to Shimoga Bypass. This bridge and road is strictly for cars.
aithalsandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 23:32   #385
BHPian

Did Bengaluru - Sagara last weekend.

Took CR Patna - Arasikere - Shivamogga (BH Road) route.
CR Patna - Arasikere road is great almost all the way (95+%) with the road relaid and marked in most of the stretches and some old patched stretches remaining. Also, the old drainage cover type of speed breakers have got reduced in height due to the new layer of asphalt. I didn't have to worry about any scraping even in my low GC Linea T-Jet.
Also, the FE actually increased (compared to NH75) after I hit this stretch as the traffic was very minimal and there was no getting stuck behind any stupid slow moving cabbie or goods auto like on the NH and I was maintaining constant 75-80 km/h (no giving beans on empty stretches like on the highway ).

Arasikere - Kaduru section which used to be good till late last year has deteriorated now (esp. Arasikere - Banavara) and is easily the worst stretch between Shivamogga outskirts and Arasikere.

Sagara - Talaguppa - Joga stretch is relaid and is great. The road work (relaying with slight widening) towards Honnavara seems to be going on and is done till a few km after the falls post which the road is very rough.

Actually took Talaguppa - Iduvani - Kargal onward Joga. Very scenic twisty roads with smooth tarmac. There is a beautiful view point on this stretch from which Linganamakki dam is visible from a distance of about 3.7km. Kargal - Joga road is actually an SH that runs between Siddapura and Bhatkala.

Decided to try different routes during the return leg.
Took Sagara - Hosanagara road till Gantinakoppa. Very scenic road with minimal traffic with mostly forest area on both sides. Puts the scenic NH 206 stretch to shame in terms of beauty. The road is not as wide though, but still a car and a bus can pass without any of them getting off the road. A small stretch is kind of rough, but can be ignored. The road might get rough by the end of this monsoon season though if the rain gods continue to be as merciless as now.

Gantinakoppa - Anandapura: Scenic 1.5 lane road with good surface (most of the way) through the forest. Will have to get the left wheels off the tarmac if a four wheeler comes in the opposite direction. Not recommended post sunset as the road feels kind of lonely and interior-ish.

Tried Tarikere - Hosadurga - Hiriyuru.
Tarikere - Ajjampura is top class with lane markings and very less traffic.
Ajjampura - Hosadurga has good surface with no lane markings for quite a bit of the way (IIRC) with considerable two-wheeler traffic.

After Hosadurga, the road is in bad condition for a few km. After that, traffic drops significantly and the road is very good all the way with lane markings here and there. The road work (lane marking) seems to be still going on.

Tumakuru - Bengaluru stretch remains painful as ever with the eight-laned expressway not existing beyond the minister's word and a newspaper article seen two years back.

Last edited by theredliner : 29th June 2018 at 23:57.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 13:08   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

Actually took Talaguppa - Iduvani - Kargal onward Joga. Very scenic twisty roads with smooth tarmac. There is a beautiful view point on this stretch from which Linganamakki dam is visible from a distance of about 3.7km. Kargal - Joga road is actually an SH that runs between Siddapura and Bhatkala.

Took Sagara - Hosanagara road till Gantinakoppa. Very scenic road with minimal traffic with mostly forest area on both sides. Puts the scenic NH 206 stretch to shame in terms of beauty. The road is not as wide though, but still a car and a bus can pass without any of them getting off the road. A small stretch is kind of rough, but can be ignored. The road might get rough by the end of this monsoon season though if the rain gods continue to be as merciless as now.

Gantinakoppa - Anandapura: Scenic 1.5 lane road with good surface (most of the way) through the forest. Will have to get the left wheels off the tarmac if a four wheeler comes in the opposite direction. Not recommended post sunset as the road feels kind of lonely and interior-ish...
There are a lot of drives in the range from Sirsi-Sagara-Hosanagara-Thirthahalli-Sringeri-Horanadu, hidden from popular routes. Only guys from malnad would know those gems
Old 19th August 2018, 09:58   #387
BHPian

Hello Redliner, it was nice to read all the routes which you have documented below.

I want your opinion on one such route. We intend going to Sigandur next weekend and want to visit Jog falls on our way back to BLR.

I am seeing a route from Signadur to Jog via Tumari-Kattinakaru-Kalikundala-Hosagadde-Kargal-Jog.

How is the road condition on the above stretch? any idea about whether it is a good surface to travel ? we will be driving in two i20 cars.

Any other suggestions /recommendations also welcome please.

Quote:
Did Bengaluru - Sagara last weekend.

Took CR Patna - Arasikere - Shivamogga (BH Road) route.
CR Patna - Arasikere road is great almost all the way (95+%) with the road relaid and marked in most of the stretches and some old patched stretches remaining. Also, the old drainage cover type of speed breakers have got reduced in height due to the new layer of asphalt. I didn't have to worry about any scraping even in my low GC Linea T-Jet.
Also, the FE actually increased (compared to NH75) after I hit this stretch as the traffic was very minimal and there was no getting stuck behind any stupid slow moving cabbie or goods auto like on the NH and I was maintaining constant 75-80 km/h (no giving beans on empty stretches like on the highway ).

Arasikere - Kaduru section which used to be good till late last year has deteriorated now (esp. Arasikere - Banavara) and is easily the worst stretch between Shivamogga outskirts and Arasikere.

Sagara - Talaguppa - Joga stretch is relaid and is great. The road work (relaying with slight widening) towards Honnavara seems to be going on and is done till a few km after the falls post which the road is very rough.

Gantinakoppa - Anandapura: Scenic 1.5 lane road with good surface (most of the way) through the forest. Will have to get the left wheels off the tarmac if a four wheeler comes in the opposite direction. Not recommended post sunset as the road feels kind of lonely and interior-ish.

Tried Tarikere - Hosadurga - Hiriyuru.
Tarikere - Ajjampura is top class with lane markings and very less traffic.
Ajjampura - Hosadurga has good surface with no lane markings for quite a bit of the way (IIRC) with considerable two-wheeler traffic.

After Hosadurga, the road is in bad condition for a few km. After that, traffic drops significantly and the road is very good all the way with lane markings here and there. The road work (lane marking) seems to be still going on.

Tumakuru - Bengaluru stretch remains painful as ever with the eight-laned expressway not existing beyond the minister's word and a newspaper article seen two years back.
Old 19th August 2018, 19:47   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I am seeing a route from Signadur to Jog via Tumari-Kattinakaru-Kalikundala-Hosagadde-Kargal-Jog.

How is the road condition on the above stretch? any idea about whether it is a good surface to travel ? we will be driving in two i20 cars.
Hello Rajesh. I have never travelled in the stretch you mentioned. However, looking at the condition in the malenadu region right now, I'd not suggest exploration of any unknown roads. Best would be to stick to known major roads till the condition improves. Even the roads that were in great condition a couple of months back would likely be in bad condition now. Even if you plan to take the road, best would be to check with the locals at Siganduru on that day.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 13:04   #389
BHPian

My trip stands cancelled due to me having a bad knee pain which is making me hobble around. Am on medication right now and fully barred from driving.
Quote:
Hello Rajesh. I have never travelled in the stretch you mentioned. However, looking at the condition in the malenadu region right now, I'd not suggest exploration of any unknown roads. Best would be to stick to known major roads till the condition improves. Even the roads that were in great condition a couple of months back would likely be in bad condition now. Even if you plan to take the road, best would be to check with the locals at Siganduru on that day.
Old 27th August 2018, 21:31   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
My trip stands cancelled due to me having a bad knee pain which is making me hobble around. Am on medication right now and fully barred from driving.
Sad to know that, hope you recover fast.

Just returned from a visit to Jog and Sigandur temple.

Following are the general comments, and route experience. (I did not explore Jog-Sigandur route).

After reading the route options from Bangalore to Shimoga I had decided to take the chitradurga- shimoga route till the last minute where deviation to Hassan road comes in Nelamangala, where on a whim I took the left turn and proceeded to take the channarayapatna route, which I was familiar , and it turned out to be the best option in hind sight and reasons are as follows.

1. Nelamangala- Channarayapatna is needless to say par excellent. 4 laned with sections well cordoned off, well marked intersections, least traffic compared to alternate roads via Tumkur, NH4 etc, plenty of options for food break, our favourite being Halli mane near Yediyur. 120 Kms is covered in a breeze of less than 1.30 hours.(2 hours with break).

2. Before reaching CR Patna , watch out for deviation to right (Mysore- Arsikere road), there is no proper signage, google maps is helpful here.

3.The road from CR Patna to Arsikere, is freshly laid tarmac, well marked 2 lane road , 50 Kms of absolutely great drive with near no traffic, no significant town or villages to slow down consistently drove between 80 to 100, only downside frequent road humps (scientifically designed for a change, and understandable as many cars tend to overspeed), took less than 45 minutes to cover.

4.Arsikere- shimoga via Tarikere, Kadur, Bhadravathi, is the worst stretch , only in comparison to hitherto traversed roads. Around Tarikere road is peppered with potholes and broken surface, slowing progress and some traffic between populated towns here is to be only expected, but over all most part of road is good, and one takes the Bhadravathi by pass. Distance of 110 Kms covered in 2 hours. Hotel Pushkara soon after CCD and in outskirts of Arsikere, is decent place for break (stopped in return journey).

5.From Shimoga to Sagara, we drove straight, beautiful road conditions, scenic drive, 2 lane, 70 Kms drive covered in 1 hour 10 minutes.

We started from Blore around 5.30 am and reached around 12.30 pm to Sagara.
After lunch wanted to do Jog, but were advised to complete Sigandur, as the last ferry is around 6 pm for return journey.
Drive to Ferry terminal is good road, short ride of 20 minutes, and as there is no bridge over the back waters, one needs to take the Launch (Ferry) and two of them carry about 12 cars and passengers at a time, at a frequency of 20 minutes.
Luckily there was no rush at this time and we could reach the other side without hassle, one has to watch out while entering, parking and exiting ferry as they pack them very close to each other. The Ferry ride is very picturesque, with pristine water body and mangroves forming small islands, dense greenery all around.

While returning I wanted to take shimoga- chitradurga road ( to avoid the bad stretch between shimoga and Arsikere), but was strongly advised against it as the Shimoga- Chitradurga road, has been under repair and widening for some years and not completed yet. So we took the same route as onward journey, and as it was sunday evening after the long week end there was usually more traffic from CR Patna to Blore but nothing to significantly slow down, comfortably drove averaging 70 Kms with a break.
sumeet007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks