Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 13:01   #1
BHPian

Transit visa for Singapore?

I have an 8 hour transit in Singapore (on return journey). I wanted to know if I need to apply for a tourist visa from here or I could get a transit visa at Singapore itself.
Infact they have a visa free transit facility for some countries. India doesnt figure in that list.

Anyone on transit recently?
Old 24th July 2008, 13:04   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I have an 8 hour transit in Singapore (on return journey). I wanted to know if I need to apply for a tourist visa from here or I could get a transit visa at Singapore itself.
Infact they have a visa free transit facility for some countries. India doesnt figure in that list.
I'am sitting at Changi airport typing this. With an indian passport you can get a transit Visa at the immigration counters in Terminal 2, and go out for a day. They also have a free bus tour of Singapore if you wish to take one.
-GG
Old 24th July 2008, 13:07   #3
BANNED

You can take the free Singapore bus tour organized by Singapore Tourism. You will have to hand your passport over at the counter and receive a sticker token in return. The tour is quite nice and enjoyable (if you're not jetlagged). Please keep the token carefully because that is all the proof you have in lieu of your passport.

Your passport is not stamped with a visa - therefore no passport proof (if you like your passport to have different visa stamps) that you have been to Singapore. Photographs are the only proof.

All of the above is as of 2004 and things may have changed.

If you require a separate transit visa, I'm sorry - I don't know the answer. Hope the above helps.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:10   #4
BHPian

If you are travelling from countries like US, Oz, NZ, then you can apply for transit visa directly at Changi airport. The visa is issued instantly and is valid for 4 days. Out side the airport, there is a free bus ride offerred by Sing Tourism that takes you through the city including to Simling square etc. Alternately there is another Sing tourism ride in which you just cant get out of the bus it picks you and drops you at the air port and they show you around the city. This second ride does not need any visa.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post

I frequently transit through Singapore Changi airport. As hrag said you can have transit tour Free of Cost from the transit tour desk from terminal 1. It can be found very easily, just take help of information desk.

The tour will be of 1.5 to 2.5 hours, but they will not allow you to come out of bus (There were few incidents when some people gone missing during transit tour). I suggest you as soon as you land into Changi contact transit tour desk and register your name over there. They will take you in next tour trip.

As far as VISA is concerned you will get only when you have valid US visa stamped in your passport. Otherwise they would not give transit visa to Indians.

After coming from tour you can have lunch/dinner in Indian restaurent on airport itself. Its name is "Kaveri Restaurent" if I remember correctly. You can get everything starting from Samosa, Idli, Dosa etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest you get a visa.

They donot always let you out of the airport without a visa. Esp since you are on the way back. One chance for you to get out of the airport wihtout a visa is if the immigration officer considers any currently valid work permit you may have for a third country.

8 hours should be enough to go out on a ride into the city.
Old 24th July 2008, 13:59   #7
BHPian

Best Option would be to apply and get the visa from here, before you leave.

If you can manage to get the airline you are flying to give you a letter saying your stopover is long and hence you can be let out into the city, you will be able to get a 3 day transit visa at Changi! But IIRC, it would be easier to convince the airline desk if your stopover was over 24 hours. I am not sure they would agree if your stopover was 8 hours.

Cheers
Jagan
Old 24th July 2008, 14:39   #8
BHPian

I had a first hand experience of this transit visa for Singapore six months ago. We were travelling to China via Singapore with a 8 hour stop-over. I had a valid Singapore visa and my colleague who was travelling with me did not. He tried to apply prior to our departure, but the time duration was touch and go to get the visa. The travel agent advised him that he can apply for a transit visa in Singapore.

When we reached Singapore the immigration people flatly refused to give a transit visa for an Indian passport. They suggested that my colleague take the free bus ride which will go around Singapore for 2 hours, but you cannot get down from the bus even to go to the restrooms (this is what the person guiding the tour told us...complete all your formalities prior to boarding the bus...else manage it inside the bus).

I suggest it is better to take a visa prior to departure.
Old 24th July 2008, 14:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Best Option would be to apply and get the visa from here, before you leave.

If you can manage to get the airline you are flying to give you a letter saying your stopover is long and hence you can be let out into the city, you will be able to get a 3 day transit visa at Changi! But IIRC, it would be easier to convince the airline desk if your stopover was over 24 hours. I am not sure they would agree if your stopover was 8 hours.

Cheers
Jagan
I transited through Changi in May 2007. I was there for Just 9 hours. But I got a transit visa issued right in the airport and that visa was stamped as valid for 4 days.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Everything is solely depends on the Immigration officer. I had situation when the officers refused to provide the transit visa in Singapore eventhough I was returning from US and had transit of 11hours.

He clearly said that Indian passport does not entitle you to enter Singapore without valid visa. Again, he can provide one if he "feels" it can be done.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:06   #11
BHPian

Its always best to get a visa here and avoid rejections and other excuses after landing in Changi.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:29   #12
BHPian

Why take the pains buddy?? If you have time then better apply for a Transit visa from here only. I am sure you dont want yourself in a situation where in all your hopes of roaming around Singapore go down the minute the Immigration officer says no!!
Old 25th July 2008, 09:36   #13
BHPian

Looks like its better to be safe than sorry. I'll apply for the visa here itself. The transit tour isnt of great appeal to me since I have already been there. Moreover its just 2 hours.
I wanted to try the Singapore flyer this time . I guess I'll take the visa from here!!
Can I manage 2hours in Jurong bird park and the Singapore flyer in 8 hours? or is it pushing it to the limits?
Old 9th March 2010, 15:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Resurrecting an old thread.
I will be transiting through Singapore - layover time is about 15 hours.
How do I get a transit Visa? Since I have the time thought I'd get it here before I leave. What are the usual charges and time periods invoved in applying and getting a transit visa?
Old 9th March 2010, 16:52   #15

Just to clear the air about transit visa to Singapore. Refer toenail below from immigration authorities of Singapore

Sent:*Monday, 7 December 2009 2:41 PM
To:*Xyx
Subject:*Re: Singapore VISA.

Dear*

* * * * We refer to your email dated 7 Dec 2009.*

2 * * * *We are pleased to inform that from 1 October 2005, Singapore has launched a promotional 96-hour ‘Visa Free Transit Facility’ (VFTF) for Indian nationals who are in transit to or from any third country. To avail of the facility, travellers should have a valid onward air ticket for a flight departing in the next four days*and*a valid third country visa or long term pass with a validity period of at least one month, issued by Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, UK, Germany, Switzerland or USA. However,*entry is not guaranteed, as the visitor should comply with the entry requirements which include, holding a valid passport with at least six months validity, entry visas (if applicable), confirmed return/onward tickets, sufficient funds for a four-day stay in Singapore and entry facilities, including visas, to their onward destinations. The promotional VFTF is introduced to encourage transit passengers to break journey and visit places in Singapore.*

Thank you*

Yours sincerely, **
Customer Services Officer*
for COMMISSIONER * * * **
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY*
ICA Feedback/415546
Website:*ICA - HomeImmigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore

Most Viewed