Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 12:06   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries

Not sure if this is the right thread for this post ...

I traveled from Bangalore to Talakad in end-December 2014. The route I wanted to take was Bangalore-Mandya-Kirugavalu-Sosale-Takalad. SH-17 up to Mandya (for the food options), and then SH-84 till Sosale, and then turn off to Talakad.

Apart from a few bad patches just past Mandya on SH-84, this road is really nice - it winds its way through fields and is smooth with very few speed breakers.

This planned route did not work out because SH-84 between Kirugavalu and Sosale is blocked due to an incomplete bridge over a canal. The diversion is unmarked and over a mud road bordering on off-road conditions.
So I turned back, went back to Kirugavalu, went towards Bannur on SH-33, and then came down SH-79 towards Sosale.
Old 6th January 2015, 12:52   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread for this post ...

I traveled from Bangalore to Talakad in end-December 2014. The route I wanted to take was Bangalore-Mandya-Kirugavalu-Sosale-Takalad. SH-17 up to Mandya (for the food options), and then SH-84 till Sosale, and then turn off to Talakad.

Apart from a few bad patches just past Mandya on SH-84, this road is really nice - it winds its way through fields and is smooth with very few speed breakers.

This planned route did not work out because SH-84 between Kirugavalu and Sosale is blocked due to an incomplete bridge over a canal. The diversion is unmarked and over a mud road bordering on off-road conditions.
So I turned back, went back to Kirugavalu, went towards Bannur on SH-33, and then came down SH-79 towards Sosale.
I had reported on the problem with the Kirugavalu-Sosale stretch about a month back , but in a different thread ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3597351 ). I guess the best way to get to Talakad is via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Purigaali which has decents roads all through.

And if one is very particular of taking SH17, going further upto Baburayanakoppal and taking SH79 from thereon would probably be better in terms of road quality since SH33 between Kirugavalu and Bannur is also undergoing road work (And the Maddur Malavalli stretch is also reportedly in bad state). But this would add quite a few kms extra to the distance.
Old 28th May 2015, 17:29   #213
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Planning to go to Satyagalam (Kollegal district) from Bangalore on Saturday morning around 7 a.m. and will be coming back (starting there around 3 pm) on the same day.

Which is the best option for onward and return journey?

1. NH 209 - Kanakapura - Mallaveli - Talakadu - Satyagalam

2. NH17 - Maddur - Mallavelli - Talakadu - Satyagalam.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th May 2015, 17:47   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Planning to go to Satyagalam (Kollegal district) from Bangalore on Saturday morning around 7 a.m. and will be coming back (starting there around 3 pm) on the same day.

Which is the best option for onward and return journey?

1. NH 209 - Kanakapura - Mallaveli - Talakadu - Satyagalam

2. NH17 - Maddur - Mallavelli - Talakadu - Satyagalam.

Thanks in advance.
Option (1) would be better - As per last reports seen, the Maddur-Malavalli stretch was not in great shape. The much higher traffic between Bangalore and Maddur makes option (1) even more attractive.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 16:12   #215
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Started from Malleswaram at 8.30 AM and able to hit Kanakapura road (Art of living) in 1 hour and reached Satyagala at 1.30PM. This road till Mallavelli was good and scenic.

After Mallaveli, I continued on NH 209 and took right to Talakkad (due to bridge construction) and reached Madhapura - Kollegal road. This single lane stretch is really worse. Around 10 kms, one can drive in 2nd and 3rd gear.

While returning I chose Mallavelli - Maddur route and took right on NH 17 to reach Malleswaram (A local guy told this is better option to reach Malleswaram than going through Kanakapura Road - Bansankari). The entire Mallavelli - Maddur stretch is bad (around 25 kms). Due to strengthening of the road, the surface level is raised and waiting for black top.

Local people in Satyagala said that the bridge will be opened before 15th June. If opened, then Kanapura - Mallavelli is the shortest and better road to reach satyagala.

Driving inside the state of Karnataka was a new experience to me and enjoyed every bit of it, but the same thing can't be said about Bangalore city traffic.
Old 10th August 2015, 13:28   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, it is closed.
Please refer this post by @kala for alternative route - Here.
Lots of discussion on the bridge closure in that thread.
There is also a ferry option now, remember reading about that
Hi, is the Malavalli-Sathyagala-Kollegal (NH-209) road open now? It's been 6 months since this post, so was hoping that it would be open now. If so, any idea about the road conditions? Thanks!
Old 10th August 2015, 14:05   #217
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi, is the Malavalli-Sathyagala-Kollegal (NH-209) road open now? It's been 6 months since this post, so was hoping that it would be open now. If so, any idea about the road conditions? Thanks!
The bridge is open now, there are several posts and pictures about this on other threads
My friend recently traveled on this after I told him about the bridge being opened (from the TBHP forum posts)

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2015 at 14:08.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 18:33   #218
BHPian

Guys, Planning a day trip to both the falls. Has anyone been there recently? How is the water flow and road condition ? Please suggest.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:46   #219
BHPian

Friends, I am planning for a day trip to Talkad and Somnathpura from Bangalore ?
Ramamurthy Nagar-Kanakpura-Malavali-Banur-Somnathpura- Talkad ?
What about the road condition from Malavali to Banur and Banur to Somnathpur-Talkad ?
Any good options for breakfast and lunch on this route as I normally tend to come back hungry from Shivasamudram trips without any good hotels enroute.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:54   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Friends, I am planning for a day trip to Talkad and Somnathpura from Bangalore ?
Ramamurthy Nagar-Kanakpura-Malavali-Banur-Somnathpura- Talkad ?
What about the road condition from Malavali to Banur and Banur to Somnathpur-Talkad ?
Any good options for breakfast and lunch on this route as I normally tend to come back hungry from Shivasamudram trips without any good hotels enroute.
You can try Vasu hotel in Kanakpura for breakfast. As far as I know that is the only good hotel in that region. Most others are not well maintained.Pack some food from home , you can try the same hotel on the way back at Kanakpura or probably come back to Bangalore. On Kanakpura road there are quite a few options. There is Vasudev Adiga next to KSIT and YDIT college.

By the way , Ramamurthy Nagar ? Did you mean Ram Nagar ?
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 11:29   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
You can try Vasu hotel in Kanakpura for breakfast. As far as I know that is the only good hotel in that region. Most others are not well maintained.Pack some food from home , you can try the same hotel on the way back at Kanakpura or probably come back to Bangalore. On Kanakpura road there are quite a few options. There is Vasudev Adiga next to KSIT and YDIT college.

By the way , Ramamurthy Nagar ? Did you mean Ram Nagar ?
Thanks buddy. Ramamurthy Nagar is an area near to KR Puram/Banaswadi. Any ideas on the suggested road conditions ?
Old 15th October 2015, 11:50   #222
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kanakapura town has Vasu hotel which is very good -look for cars parked on the main road near the turning to Bus stand & Ramnagara. Board is in Kannada and small entrance but opens into a large dining hall. Vasu hotel is on left side when going from Bangalore to Kanakapura.

Other option is Gokul, the same folks who own Gokul kuteera on CMH Road, Indiranagar. But this does not open for breakfast and is located on right side when going from Bangalore but will be on left during your return journey. There is a state bank branch in same building.

Road conditions are good till Bannur from what I know, not sure beyond that to Somnathpura and Talakad.

Last edited by NPV : 15th October 2015 at 11:51.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:36   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Ramamurthy Nagar is an area near to KR Puram/Banaswadi. Any ideas on the suggested road conditions ?
Road till Malvalli is good. Not sure about the streatch till Bannur. I remember the road via T-Narasipura to Somnathpura -Talkad was in a bad shape sometime back. I do not have any recent update on this now.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:42   #224
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Road till Malvalli is good. Not sure about the streatch till Bannur.
Malavalli-Bannur has been relaid and widened Not sure of conditions beyond to Somnathpura and Talakad.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:34   #225
BHPian

Folks,
Is it worth visiting Shivanasamudra these days? Is there water in the fall?
I was thinking of visiting during upcoming weekend. Please guide.

Pranav

Most Viewed