Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:40   #271
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries

A sudden and a very late plan to drive to Shiva samudra. Has the road work completed? Are the above mentioned outlets still the best places to have lunch at?

MaSh
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:32   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
A sudden and a very late plan to drive to Shiva samudra. Has the road work completed? Are the above mentioned outlets still the best places to have lunch at?

MaSh
Diversions still there, however nothing to worry too much.

Stopped at
Mandarathi Gardenia
Kanakapura Hwy Rd, Kanakapura, Karnataka 562117
099640 01211
https://maps.app.goo.gl/FWARKWvDbJvU62F3A

One of the best Thatte Idlis.

MaSh
Old 25th October 2021, 11:59   #273

Just did a one day trip to shivanasamudra on 24th oct 2021. There was a initial confusion on whether to take the kanakpura road or mysore road since google maps showed the same duration.

I decided to take kanakpura road. Till kanakpura town the road was just horrible riddled with potholes and patches. Worst thing is the road would go smooth for a few minutes tricking you into thinking the worst is over and then it would start all over again. We stopped at MTR for breakfast, were the food was average. Since its self service had to stand in queue for 40+ mins to get the order (for 4 people). Looks like the kitchen is small for the seating capacity. The road was very good after kanakpura, except for a few patches here and there. The road is scenic throughout with paddy fields everywhere.

While coming back we took mysore road, which has few diversions due to road widening. And it also has those typical mysore road uruly drivers who think that a race going on. We stopped at adigas for lunch where the food was average. Thank god for waiter service, I was not ready for another MTR experience.

I recommend you take the mysore road. One can manage traffic, but cant manage terrible roads. Your car wont suffer on mysore road.

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20211024_085106960.jpg

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20211024_073311948.jpg
roketracoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:47   #274
avk
BHPian

Planning to visit Shivanasamudra this Saturday. Start from Blr would be between 6 30 to 7 am and taking the Mysore road. Has anyone taken this route in the recent past? Would be great to know about the road condition and anything else to look out for.

Also looking for suggestions for breakfast stop for this route. Return trip would be as soon as we are done visiting both the waterfalls. Any notable and must visit non-veg restaurants for a good lunch in the return leg?

Last edited by avk : 3rd February 2022 at 12:05.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:51   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Planning to visit Shivanasamudra this Saturday. Start from Blr would be between 6 30 to 7 am and taking the Mysore road. Has anyone taken this route in the recent past? Would be great to know about the road condition and anything else to look out for.

Also looking for suggestions for breakfast stop for this route. Return trip would be as soon as we are done visiting both the waterfalls. Any notable and must visit non-veg restaurants for a good lunch in the return leg?
Driving in Kanakapura road post dark is a pain due to road widening/construction work. Day time is manageable.
My neighbour went to Shivanasamudra and Talakkadu last weekend. He said there is not much water and was more tiring to drive back to Bangalore in the dark. Talakkad was good to take bath with knee deep water.

For non-veg restaurants, am sorry, i am not the right person as i am a vegetarian.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:20   #276
Senior - BHPian

I did a one day round trip last weekend, covering Gaganachukki, Barachukki falls and Somanathapura Temple. While the rains can make the latter inconvenient (shoes are off limits) the falls are brimming with water this time of the year

My itinerary in the order that it appears on the map. In all, a shade under 400 kms of driving for close to 9 hours.

Starting point: Yelahanka
Breakfast at Kamat Lokaruchi, Ramanagara
Gaganachukki falls
Barachukki falls
Somanathapura Temple
Lunch halt : Vasudev Adiga's, Maddur
Return route via Kunigal - Nelamangala
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-screenshot_20220710080328.png

Started around 5:30 from Yelahanka, with the map showing the Mysore road-Kengeri route when traffic is light, with the first halt at Kamat Lokaruchi, Ramanagara (just hold on till then and you will be rewarded ). The sheer number of outbound cars (Saturday morning) taking a u-turn for this place is testimony to this popularity!

NH275 isn't very convenient now with roadworks of the express highway interrupting progress, nonetheless it was till Maddur that I needed to put up with it; turning off into Malavalli road. Do note that options for (good) eateries simply evaporate when you turn off the NH, but you enjoy the drive better thanks to light traffic, engaging roads and greenery everywhere
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_034309489.jpg

The road branches off further to Kollegal, that's when the environment becomes really special (and also remote!)
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_034554860.jpg

Entrance to Shivanasamudra Hydroelectric Power Station premises which houses the Gaganachukki falls view point
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-screenshot_20220710082937.png
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-screenshot_20220710083638.png
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_041334367.jpg

In comparison (to Barachukki) Gaganachukki falls has a relatively smaller parking area but there is one nonetheless (and also a pay & use toilet).

I took an internal route from Gaganachukki till Kollegal road which takes you to Barachukki (the security directed thus)
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-screenshot_20220710085352.png

A beautiful (very narrow) gem, but your experience will depend on whether you encounter an oncoming vehicle
Name:  L_20220709100253_6_AdobeExpress 1.gif
Views: 673
Size:  5.95 MB
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_043452500.jpg

Back on Kollegal road, you are practically along (and criss crossing) the Kaveri River till Barachukki. Drive careful and slow to soak in the sights with many an unscheduled stop enroute!

The Satthegala bridge should especially be a sight when the river is in spate!
Name:  L_20220709100937_31_AdobeExpress.gif
Views: 656
Size:  4.55 MBBangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_045559339.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_0607164412.jpg

It is a fine road till Barachukki falls with a massive parking area on proper paved grounds, the place is also has well laid out benches (for folks not wanting to go down the steps till the view point)
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-a_20220709111533.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_061152770.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_052305128.jpg

To Somanathapura which is less than an hour away, I took the Belakavadi, T Narasipura route which was nothing to write home about except it had a decent surface (better than Bangalore City!) predominantly passing through villages. Hardly any eateries worth stopping till Somanathapura Temple and practically nothing around the site either (so plan your trip accordingly)

Strangely the entry to the premises mandates you to pay the ticket via UPI only , surely without giving a thought to tourists' convenience and 4G coverage. I latched on to a kind staffer's hotspot but a very avoidable confusion if ASI can do something about it

It was drizzling when I entered the temple (again, no formal shoe rack for tourists!) and to rub salt to the wounds, a good part of the temple had scaffolding due to chemical washing being done. Nonetheless, there is no taking away the sheer attention to detail in the exquisite carvings belonging to the Hoysala dynasty. I took a guide despite my solo trip (and strongly recommend it to identify the specifics and appreciate the beauty) and she patiently took me around despite the drizzle.
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_074947893.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-screenshot_20220710101903.png
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pxl_20220709_075826347.jpg

Return journey home was via Malavalli eventually joining NH275 near Maddur. It was a conscious decision to not take NH275 (in its current state) and the Huliyurdurga route to Kunigal was superb with excellent surface, light traffic and a natural green setting, despite it taking slightly longer in duration.

Looking forward to the Mysore express highway being operational for a repeat visit

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 10th July 2022 at 10:45.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 14:46   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I did a one day round trip last weekend, covering Gaganachukki, Barachukki falls and Somanathapura Temple. While the rains can make the latter inconvenient (shoes are off limits) the falls are brimming with water this time of the year.
Places around Kanakpura IMHO are the most under rated tourist places. Shivanasamudra, Thalkadu, Mekedhatu,Sangama, Muthathi, numerous unnamed water falls and fishing camps are all great tourist spots and adventure getaways. The tourism department has off late realised the tourism potential of these places and hopefully these exotic locations are maintained without destroying the ecosystem. Nice write up mate.
Gypsian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 06:09   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Return journey home was via Malavalli eventually joining NH275 near Maddur. It was a conscious decision to not take NH275 (in its current state) and the Huliyurdurga route to Kunigal was superb with excellent surface, light traffic and a natural green setting, despite it taking slightly longer in duration.
This is exactly what I did 3 years back! Mysore Road - Maddur - Malavalli - Shivasamudram - Talakadu - Somnathpura - Maddur - Kunigal - Bangalore

Even then I was amazed at the road between Maddur - Malavalli and Maddur - Kunigal.

Just for an easy reference if you need to remember where the Kunigal road exit is on Mysore Road? That's easy. Its right next to the Adigas at Maddur. Just adjacent to the bridge on River Shimsha.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 07:41   #279
BHPian

Saw this in news today.

https://starofmysore.com/tourism-on-...-banks-banned/

There is no clarity whether the entry is banned till the waterfall or to the viewpoint as well.

Please do share, if you have additional info.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 08:08   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
There is no clarity whether the entry is banned till the waterfall or to the viewpoint as well.
This is quite possible. KRS and associated Cauvery reservoirs were nearly full last week. And it was likely KRS gates may get opened. In anticipation preparations would have been underway.

Last week's news : link

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2022 at 08:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 11:33   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Saw this in news today.

https://starofmysore.com/tourism-on-...-banks-banned/

Please do share, if you have additional info.
I had gone to Gaganachukki in end of May-2022. There was decent amount of water in the falls. Even then I could see hundreds of folks on other side (near the Dargah) climbing down the rocks perilously very near the falls. One misstep, could lead to certain death. All for the sake of selfies and whatsapp/insta status update

My point is, if I were the authority-in-charge, in the present water discharge conditions, I would simply close access to the entire waterfalls. There are just too many instant-popularity seeking folks waiting to die there.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 16:36   #282
BHPian

I was planning to go in this route day after tomorrow. Any news if the view points are open or closed?
nickelniks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:53   #283
BHPian

KSRTC started a package tour to shivanasamudra from tomorrow. So, I assume its allowed now. But the entry to bottom of the falls may be restricted.

https://twitter.com/KSRTC_Journeys/s...290304/photo/1
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:33   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelniks View Post
I was planning to go in this route day after tomorrow. Any news if the view points are open or closed?
Went there yesterday. Posted my travelogue separately. Posting the link here to provide an update on the main thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...nasamudra.html (Travel Therapy : A day-trip to Shivanasamudra)
Old 1st August 2022, 17:17   #285

I went to Shivanasamudra yesterday (31 07 22). Both the view points - Gaganchukki and Barachukki are open. There is good flow of water.

We took the Mysore road and visited the falls, Talakadu and Somanathpura.

Stopped for breakfast at Shivalli restaurant 2 which was good with ample parking and decent wash rooms. We ate lunch at a small road side eatery as there are no good restaurants near Shivanasamudra and Talakadu. Stopped for evening snack at Kamat Lokaruchi which was pretty good. Apart from the regular food items, they had bonda soup and kadabu idli which was awesome.
soka-bhp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks