Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 14:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Guess this is the temple that became famous after a documentary on TV9 if i'm right...
Yes, this temple was shown on TV9. Any team members who have been there? Request you to share the route to take.
Old 16th August 2008, 21:43   #17
BHPian

We went to Gaganachukki yesterday.
The view: Spectacular. Words do not do justice to this majestic place.
A must see for those in/around Bangalore.

The route: Blr-C'patna-Maddur-Malavalli-Gaganachukki

Chronology:
BLR - 11:30am departure, Arrival at the falls - 2:30pm
Departure from Falls: 4:30pm, arrival home: 8:30pm

Highlights:
1) BLR-Maddur: Awesome drive
2) Maddur - Gaganachukki: The first 5km is so-so, the last 5km is good. The in-between 20km is nothing short of sheer hell. Its not that the roads are bad. There are simply NO ROADS on this stretch. Just mud/gravel/stones and lots of pot-holes of various sizes.
The Getz being a rather forgiving car, we managed to make it through ok. With a pregnant wife, it was a bit scary, so we just let the first gear drag the car gently through the treacherous terrain.

Horrendous doesn't even come close to describing this stretch.
3) The falls are simply spectacular. The mist, the slow-motion movement of the water over the rocks.... It all makes the drive worth, though.

Food:
There is a new hotel (boarding+lodging) at the falls. They have a beautiful garden for kids as well.
However, we packed lunch from home. Not sure fo the food-quality in that place.
Stopped by (where else) Kamath Lokaruchi on the way back to ease the tense muscles after having gone over 30km of sheer non-existent roads.

Summary:
Watch out for the Maddur-Gaganachukki falls, but if you want a spectacular visit, go now to view nature in her full glory.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:33   #18
BHPian

Trip to Shivanasamudra on 14th Sep 2008

Hi Team,

We were planning to visit Shivanasamudra from quite some time, but due to one or the other reason, was never able to go there. There is a temple near Shivanasamudra which was another reason for the visit. Last Thursday, my brother called to see if we can visit both these places on Sunday, 14th Sept 2008. Check with wife and confirm that we will finally be visiting Shivanasamudra. Do some checking on Google Earth and Google maps to locate the Prasanna Meenakshi temple. Managed to find on the internet someone who had visited this temple previously giving the co-ordinates of the temple. Using this, managed to get the route to visit.
Shivanasamudra.pdf

Take the SH17 (bangalore to mysore)
Bangalore - Ramanagaram - 52kms
Ramanagaram - Chennapatna - 10 kms
Chennapatna - Maddur - 20 kms
Just after Maddur take a left which goes towards Malavalli / Kollegal (this is SH33).
Maddur - Malavalli - 25 kms
Malavalli - Shivanasamudra - 30kms (approx)

Road condition till Maddur is superb, but traffic is heavy. We started from our home at 6.45am, picked up my brothers family and left at 7.20am. We went past Hebbal flyover, BEL circle, Goraguntepalya, take left onto the ring road immediately as you hit tumkur road, at Magadi road junction take the right, go left on the ring road again and this will join the Bangalore - Mysore highway at Kengeri. As we were driving, we saw a few super bikes overtake us. I was driving at 90 -100kmph speeds and these were easily beyond 120kmph. At Ramanagaram, we saw many bikes going towards Bangalore. Looks like they were in a race / rally. Just after Chennapatna, we saw a few sports cars vrooommmming past towards Bangalore. They were travelling too fast to even think of taking pictures.

Just after Maddur we took the deviation to the left which goes towards Malavalli / Kollegal. Contrast in the road condition was felt immediately. Decent stretches interspread with dust bowls. Watch out for buses coming on your side of the road full speed with headlights on because the other half is non-existant. At Malavalli this road joins the NH 209 this is where the trouble starts.
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic1.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic2.jpg
You can call NH with different names other than National Highway. After a few kms of dusty and non-existant roads, you do get a few kms of good roads. 22 kms from Malavalli you will reach a place called Satyagala Hand post. At this point you have to take a left and this road goes to Shivanasamudra. I did not check the distance from this point to Shivanasamudra, but you should reach in say 30 minutes. There will be big signboard on the left which will mention Shivanasamudra (a road goes to the left) but we did not take this road. We wanted to visit the Meenakshi temple first and people by the side asked us to go straight. Just after crossing a bridge, we took a left and a little further we could see the temple on the right.
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic3.jpg

This temple was shown on TV9 and that must have increased the visitors to this temple. Just for parking on the side of the road, you have to pay Rs.10. No parking area nor do they take any responsibility.
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic4.jpg

There are two temples inside this complex, one of Lord Shiva (Somanatheshwara) and the other of Prasanna Meenakshi with a Srichakra installed by Adi Shankaracharya. There is only one archaka for both these temples and hence people have to wait from him to complete at one place first and then the other. Watch out for beggards as you come out of the temple who get very angry if you do not give alms.
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic5.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic6.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic7.jpg

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic8.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic9.jpg

Further down the same road is Gaganachuki. The view of the falls is breathtaking, but the path to go near the water is not proper and you have to tread on rough path and caution is advised for people venturing to go near the water. Water was in force enough to creat a mist near the falls and this added to the enjoyment.

Hope the pictures below gives a feel of the falls

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic10.jpg
Name:  pic11.jpg
Views: 28693
Size:  113.2 KB
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic12.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic13.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic14.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic15.jpg
Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-pic16.jpg

......to be continued...
Old 15th September 2008, 17:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

We travelled to Shivanasmaudra on 28th August from Mysore. Unknowingly we took the road from Mysore going through Purigal. My request to all - please avoid this road. Cannot call it road, was muddy patch with big water pools making it difficult to judge the depth. Even buses were having difficulties to negotiate this road. Was like this for atleast 50 Kms. We took 3 hours.

On return we took road to Malavalli and Maddur and took Mysore road to Bangalore. Was heaven compared to the earlier road which we took.

Falls was at its best.
Old 15th September 2008, 19:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Honestly I don't think there is any good approach roads towards Shiavansamudram. 2 routes listed here, I did the route from Kollegal and it was just mayhem.

I am sure Karnataka is the only state in this country which has the worst roads. Did someone recently try the T-Narasipura road towards MM Hills and BR Hills ? If you chaps have plans of doing this stretch take a SUV else you are in for a surprise.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Very much true, the road Satish took is better one among any way we think from Bangalore because at least untill Maddur we get 4 lane state highway although bit crowded.

Last year when I visited I predicted road from maddur to Shivansamudra will become worse soon. Almost every year this is same case I have seen from last 10 years.

About roads If current State Government holds up (I mean continue to rule) expect by 2010 excellant roads in Karnataka.

I saw even in TV channel a day back about worst road condition of that NH209. From Tamil Nadu border road is excellant according to them always Karnataka state and central government are opposite to each other hence Karnataka being neglected. Lets hope and see this time something better co ordination.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th April 2009, 10:14   #22
BHPian

Current State of the Road from Maddur?

Guys,
Anyone been to Shivanasamudra recently? How are the roads from Maddur? Planning to go this weekend.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

I did it on end of Jan. Roads are bad, but not worst. Drivable at 40-50kmph For details check this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...taiyaraja.html
Old 13th April 2009, 15:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Guys,
Anyone been to Shivanasamudra recently? How are the roads from Maddur? Planning to go this weekend.
But, this time of the year, you will be verrry disappointed with the falls. I think there will hardly be any water there. Wait for some rain is what i'd suggest. The roads cant get any worse though.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:56   #25
BHPian

Any update on the road condition to Shivanasamudra and Talakkad from Bangalore? is it drivable by an M800 now?
Old 20th July 2009, 21:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Any update on the road condition to Shivanasamudra and Talakkad from Bangalore? is it drivable by an M800 now?
Hey, it was and is perfectly drivable for M800.

Roads were bad, that should not stop an M800. I know people did it on Civic too. There may be some stretch where there is no road, but still you can manage.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:03   #27
BHPian

Roads are being relaid

Drove to Shivanasamudra last Sunday. The road conditions have improved a lot between Maddur and Shivanasamudra. Bad roads < 1km, rough patches < 5 km. The surface is be relaid and you would need to shift to right/left at a couple of places. Just watch out for the speed breakers. Shivanasamudra is easily doable in M800, not sure about Talakad.

Travel time was just about 3 hrs from South Bangalore.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:14   #28
BHPian

thanks a lot mjothi and carmania. i will update road conditions after my trip.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:40   #29
BHPian

Any updates on water right now from people just visited the place?
Old 24th July 2009, 13:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Have not visited this place of late but you can rest assured that there will be a lot of water in a couple of days time if not already at Sivanasamudram, both Kabini as well as KRS are full and there will be a lot of outflow from these reservoirs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks