Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 22:54   #76

re: Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries

Planning to visit this place this weekend but I'm confused whether to take the Mysore road or Kanakapura road. It is easy to reach Mysore Road from my place but I see that many are of the opinion that Kanakapura road offers a better experience.

Anyway, I'll decide when I start.

Can anyone tell me if there is any good restaurant near the falls? Should I pack something from home?
Old 25th September 2012, 06:36   #77
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevardhan View Post
Planning to visit this place this weekend but I'm confused whether to take the Mysore road or Kanakapura road. It is easy to reach Mysore Road from my place but I see that many are of the opinion that Kanakapura road offers a better experience.

Anyway, I'll decide when I start.

Can anyone tell me if there is any good restaurant near the falls? Should I pack something from home?
If you take Mysore Road route you will have to go via Maddur-Malavalli which was not in great condition few months ago, don't know current status though. Also, given the Mysore road traffic especially on weekends I would definitely avoid that route and take Kanakapura Road instead - it's in good condition, traffic is lower and much more scenic route and makes for some peaceful stress free driving.
Restaurants - you don't have too many options, so better to pack some food. You can also try Georgia Sunshine that is not too far away but call them in advance (you can look up their website).
On the NH209, the options for food are mostly in Kanakapura town and then beyond Shivanasamudra turn off at Chamarajanagar town (too far, almost 60Km away!).
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 25th September 2012 at 06:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 06:51   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can also try Georgia Sunshine that is not too far away but call them in advance (you can look up their website).
On the NH209, the options for food are mostly in Kanakapura town and then beyond Shivanasamudra turn off at Chamarajanagar town (too far, almost 60Km away!).
Hope this helps.
Georgia Sunshine is more like a home stay. They dont entertain folks only for food. You need to fix a prior booking for a day's visit and that too I think in a group.
There is one Udupi Upachar at Kanakpura which is the best option for food.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 18:27   #79

Try Hotel Vasu in Kanakapura, its THE place as far as a sumptuous breakfast is what u need. This is a very simple extremely crowded place with darshini type stand and eat option, if you are with your family you can see their comfort levels and decide. You NEED to ask for this hotel, else you will miss it...
en route to shivanasamudra after you cross the Udipi upahara 100m ahead on the left is this place, all localites can guide you there.
Old 27th October 2012, 23:11   #80

Drove to Talakad and Shivanasamudra today. Took both routes - onward through Maddur - Malavalli, and return through Kanakapura.

In my experience, as of today - the Kanakapura route was smoother and faster. Right about the eat-outs though, couldn't find any on this route. As a precaution, I had packed some stuff for the return journey.

Cheers,

KC
Old 16th November 2012, 09:13   #81
BHPian

Hi guys

Planning to drive down to shivasamudram and talakkad tomorrow early morning. Any pointers on whether we have water in the falls and the current road conditions via Mysore road and/or kanakapura will be helpful!!
Old 16th November 2012, 09:41   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Hi guys

Planning to drive down to shivasamudram and talakkad tomorrow early morning. Any pointers on whether we have water in the falls and the current road conditions via Mysore road and/or kanakapura will be helpful!!
Take the road via Kanakapura. The traffic till Kanakapura will keep you a bit slow, from then on its quite good.

The other route via maddur is good upto maddur and then the next 23 kms towards Malavalli is in a sad state.

Gaganachukki and Bharachukki are both. If you want to visit Talakad after the visit to the falls then you follow this order

1. Gaganachukki
2. Bharachukki
3. Talakkad

Or in the reverse order.

Let me know if you want further details on the route.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 09:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap

Take the road via Kanakapura. The traffic till Kanakapura will keep you a bit slow, from then on its quite good.

The other route via maddur is good upto maddur and then the next 23 kms towards Malavalli is in a sad state.
Thanks for the route details. I prefer Mysore road due to decent eateries available for breakfast. Given the fact that I will be driving wagon R is it drivable between maddur and malavalli without causing damage to underbody or suspensions?
Old 16th November 2012, 09:50   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

I second nkrishna. Avoid Mysore road if you are going towards the talkad region. Even while returning, Mysore road is very crowded during holidays and hence, there will be a lot of traffic, tailgaters, rashly driven volvo buses. Along with that, there are some maniacs in villages who just run across the road. Last time I went to talkad, we returned by kanakpura road and the drive was smoother. Though this is not a multi-lane road, one can maintain decent speeds. However, there are no eateries or such stopovers. Have food or tea in kanakpura itself before leaving. I think you can spend more time in Talakad itself, if you have kids as they will enjoy the sand as well as the river. The river aint too deep or ferocious so you can let them enjoy the water without concerns. However, barachukki itself will take time if you plan to go to the bottom of the falls, and if water levels are high please do not venture into the waters though its very attracting.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th November 2012 at 09:53.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 14:13   #85
BHPian

planning a trip to the falls this saturday, any updates would be helpfull
Old 12th July 2013, 09:42   #86
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
planning a trip to the falls this saturday, any updates would be helpfull
From what I've heard, Maddur-Malavalli is not in good condition and very bumpy so I would avoid Mysore Road route for this.
Instead take Kanakapura Road, go past Kanakapura town upto Malavalli. Turn left at Malavalli towards Kollegal/Chamarajnagar direction. Roads in this route are in very good condition and scenic too If taking this route, food options are not abundant like Mysore Road. Vasu Hotel in Kanakapura is good for breakfast if you're traveling in the morning.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th July 2013 at 10:45.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 10:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
From what I've heard, Maddur-Malavalli is not in good condition and very bumpy so I would avoid Mysore Road route for this.
Instead take Kanakapura Road, go past Kanakapura town upto Malavalli. Turn left at Malavalli towards Kollegal/Chamarajpet direction. Roads in this route are in very good condition and scenic too If taking this route, food options are not abundant like Mysore Road. Vasu Hotel in Kanakapura is good for breakfast if you're traveling in the morning.
+1

If you have more time in your hands, take some of the unmarked roads along the way; you will be rewarded with stunning scenery

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-img_1529.jpg

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-img_1540.jpg

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-img_1542.jpg

Bangalore - Shivanasamudra : Route Queries-img_1547002.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 19:48   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

+1

If you have more time in your hands, take some of the unmarked roads along the way; you will be rewarded with stunning scenery
Can you elaborate- which roads in particular?

Great photos, btw. Where were they taken?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th July 2013 at 19:57.
Old 12th July 2013, 20:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Can you elaborate- which roads in particular?

Great photos, btw. Where were they taken?
Here ya go - 1 is a restricted place with gates and security guards. You need to coax them to let you in

Name:  bluff.png
Views: 13224
Size:  454.9 KB
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 22:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

SunnyBoi- Are these the roads that you see massive Piping work going on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks