Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 10:41   #151
Team-BHP Support

Folks how is the road/ascent from Theni to Munnar?
The climb starts from Bodi. Is it not?

Also how steep is the climb and how is the road condition?

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2010 at 10:43.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:05   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Guys, I have planned a Munnar trip in my Fiat Palio. I would be leaving Bangalore at 3AM tonight. If someone have travelled in this route recently, please suggest me:
1) Best route in terms of road condition(I dont mind even if it is a longer one)
2) Best route in terms of sceneries.

This is a bit urgent to me as of now.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:27   #153
Senior - BHPian

@Funykar: Refer to this post I've done this route in my Palio a few months back.

Condition wise both routes are almost equally better, my return route has a higher percentage of better roads as I connect to NH7 much earlier.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:28   #154
Team-BHP Support

1. Take the standard route via Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar (Check with Starvegabond, who took it a day or two back)

2. Route via Bodi would be longer, but good condition as you can hit NH7 earlier.

3. Be watchful for the exit to Perundurai town from NH47.

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2010 at 14:29.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:33   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Guys, I have planned a Munnar trip in my Fiat Palio. I would be leaving Bangalore at 3AM tonight. If someone have travelled in this route recently, please suggest me:
1) Best route in terms of road condition(I dont mind even if it is a longer one)
2) Best route in terms of sceneries.
Both of your requirement would point to the following route.

Bangalore> Krishnagiri> Salem> Karur> Namakal> Dindigul (NH7 throughout)> Theni>Bodinaykkannur> Bodimettu> Munnar

Bodi to Bodimettu climb offers nice vistas. Once you cross the Kerala border it is scenic anyway.

Points to note:

1) Kerala side of the roads are pretty narrow till Munnar(even by Kerala standards). Be careful there

2) Nearing Dindigul, NH7 continues on to a flyover that turns right rather sharply. After this, take the service road and go under the next flyover. Contunue straight along the flyover. You'll see another (3rd) flyover where you take a right turn under it towards Kodaikkanal. There is no exit to service road after the second flyover, hence the elaborate arrangement.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:48   #156
BHPian

The route suggested by ampere is good and right now it is in very good condition.
And as he said you should be very careful in taking diversion to perundurai in NH47. if you leave the diversion then it will be a head ache as you will get the U turn to come back after few kilometers

To be exact, after 17 kms from Bhavani bridge in NH47, you will get a IOB pertrol pump by left. Once you are in that point slow down and keep crawling for some distance and you will get a small road diverting to perundurai with a small board pointing 'perundurai-Left'. I am sure you will miss the diversion if you are speeding after the IOB. From then on keep straight for 30 kms to reach kangeyam and from kangeyam circle take left and straight to Dharapuram which is about 33 kms from kangeyam. And now you had reached my native .

Have a safe ride.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:04   #157
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thank you everyone for the suggestions poured in, especially the turn for Perundurai . I got it on the dot.

I took the Blr-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Perendurai-Kangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar route to and fro. I loved the roads throughout.

Only thing I dint like is the heavy toll that we end up paying + 20Rs for each (4 posts) forest check post.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:53   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^^ Thank you everyone for the suggestions poured in, especially the turn for Perundurai . I got it on the dot.
The NHAI guys should realize that this a major deviation for folks to Munnar and hence put a sign-board accordingly. At least they can put a Kangeyam/Dharapuram sign-board. But there a very small one for Perundurai and folks mostly miss it unless they are looking for it!
Old 6th January 2011, 12:33   #159
BHPian

I drove from Madurai to Munnar via Theni, Bodi, Bodimettu & Pooppara. The road ( NH49) is wide in some places, but is generally narrow to very narrow in most places. The road condition is generally good, but is laced with some small potholes after crossing the TN border.

After Bodi, the curves start and the road becomes narrow, but offers very great scenery with lot of greenery.

I enjoyed driving in NH-49 ( i drove in NH-49 from Madurai to Perumbavoor) and found it to be very challenging to overtake / give way to opposite vehicles at some places.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:31   #160
Team-BHP Support

Looks like even though its a longer route, it would be worth going that way, as the distance on the ghats is lesser as compared to the one via Udumalpet which is 90Km.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:22   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like even though its a longer route, it would be worth going that way, as the distance on the ghats is lesser as compared to the one via Udumalpet which is 90Km.
Agree with you. Worked well for me because my wife is not comfortable in travelling continuous ghats / hairpins & she was at ease in this route.

But so many bhpians are of the opinion that the Udumalpet - Chinnar - Marayoor - Munnar route offers great scenery as it passes thro' the Indira Gandhi Wildlife sanctuary. I have not travelled / driven in this route, so no idea on the same.
Old 6th January 2011, 16:25   #162
BHPian

I just did the Udamalpet to Munnar trip on 3oth Dec 2010 and returned back 0n 1st Jan2011. The road from CBE to Munnar is good in most parts. During our drive we see a couple of elephants in Chinnar. The drive is quite picturesque.
Old 6th January 2011, 18:57   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Agree with you. Worked well for me because my wife is not comfortable in travelling continuous ghats / hairpins & she was at ease in this route.

But so many bhpians are of the opinion that the Udumalpet - Chinnar - Marayoor - Munnar route offers great scenery as it passes thro' the Indira Gandhi Wildlife sanctuary. I have not travelled / driven in this route, so no idea on the same.
But that is so true. Even I drove through Udumalpet way only. But the good thing is that there are no "hard" hairpins like Ooty. These are very simple. But the shear length of the route can tire you.

But views, yes, they are spectacular. They keep changing from rivers, wild life, rivulets. waterfalls, mists and estates!

Hence I maintain, that if possible people should try this early morning and not late in the day where you would be hurrying to reach the place. But somehow logistics may not allow that.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But that is so true. Even I drove through Udumalpet way only. But the good thing is that there are no "hard" hairpins like Ooty. These are very simple. But the shear length of the route can tire you.

But views, yes, they are spectacular. They keep changing from rivers, wild life, rivulets. waterfalls, mists and estates!

Hence I maintain, that if possible people should try this early morning and not late in the day where you would be hurrying to reach the place. But somehow logistics may not allow that.

It is possible if you plan to drive from BLR to perundurai and halt there for the night. Start early next day, say by 5-6 am, so that you get to enjoy the best scenery at a time when it is best enjoyed.

Also, you will not be hardpressed for time for reaching your destination. You can take it very easy.

I did it the same way, drove from BLR to Madurai, halted there for the day, and the next day started early & took almost 5 hours to cover 150 kms from Madurai to Chinnakanal ( Munnar) stopping at small waterfalls, good vistas, tea plantations etc. reached Munnar by lunchtime.

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 7th January 2011 at 14:03.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:13   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I did it the same way, drove from BLR to Madurai, halted there for the day, and the next day started early & took almost 5 hours to cover 150 kms from Madurai to Chinnakanal ( Munnar) stopping at small waterfalls, good vistas, tea plantations etc. reached Munnar by lunchtime.
Thats only one issue. When coming from Udumalpet side, you need to drive another 22Km to reach Chinnakanal which is on the Bodi side.

Since that is where most of the good hotels are, coming from Bodi may be easier.

Most Viewed