Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 17:25   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
Hi

Please could you give any information on the timings for the forest check posts. Heard that the check posts close for the night on the Marayur - Munnar route.

Thanx

Satish
AFAIK, there is no night drive restriction on this route. I myself have left Udumalaipet after 11 pm and reached Munnar at 1 am via Marayoor. Needless to say, wildlife movements are high during this rime and you must be very careful not to run into elephants or bison in the narrow road
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 18:00   #512
Senior - BHPian

Did Banagalore Munnar Via Udumal --> Marayoor. Road are excellent except for close to 10 kms after Chinnar Tamil Nadu checkpost. This stretch can be done by any cars at a slow speed.
Old 24th August 2012, 14:56   #513
BHPian

Friends,
Just wanted to update the road conditions between Dindigul-Theni.
As mentioned by others, the road is in pathetic condition (tried this route while going). So many stretches are without roads thanks to 4Lane works and this will greatly delay your travel.

I tried an alternate Theni-Vaigaidam-Devadanapatty-Batlagundu-Kodairoad-Dindigul(86 Kms) on return. Adds 10 km compared to conventional Dindigul-Theni via Periyakulam.
There is only one bad stretch in this route and is between Batlagundu-Devadanapatty. Rest of the roads are really good to drive.
I covered this distance in 75 mins flat. An excellent suggestion this turned out to be. Thanks Ampere

I would recommend this route over the conventional route given the current conditions.

The route in google maps: Theni, Tamil Nadu, India to Dindigul, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps

Directions:
While driving from Dindigul, you have to take a left at Devadanapatty and have to proceed straight without turning anywhere.
The road will take you to Vaigai dam (via Silvarpatti & Jeyamangalam) and then to Madurai-Theni road (at Kanavilakku) which is in very good condition.
You can ask directions for Vaigai dam if you are lost anywhere and then to Theni once you crossed Vaigai dam. The directions are well marked but in Tamil.

While driving from Theni, you should take Madurai road and after you cross Theni Medical College on your right, there is a left turn to Vaigai dam (at Kanavilakku). Proceed straight on to that road.
You will pass Vaigai Dam on the way. If you are in doubt, always ask directions for Devadanapatty (not Batlagundu or Dinidul as there is another seperate road that leads to Periyakulam).
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 09:43   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Did Banagalore Munnar Via Udumal --> Marayoor. Road are excellent except for close to 10 kms after Chinnar Tamil Nadu checkpost. This stretch can be done by any cars at a slow speed.
Did this route [Banagalore to Munnar Via Udumalpet & Marayoor] on 22nd Aug & return 25th Aug. The Checkpost guys told me that the checkposts are open for traffic 24hrs. However, the TN guy advised not to travel at night because of elephants.

The road from Perundurai to Udumalpet is really good with very little traffic during daytime.

The NH from Salem to Bangalore is having construction work / repairs from Thoppur to just beyond Krishnagiri toll gate with plenty of diversions. It was dark (9:00 pm)and raining when coming back to Bangalore and I hit some construction debris that the NHAI guys had left on the road & didn't clear up. This was about 2km before Krishnagiri toll gate. Unfortunately my new swift vxi's wheel got damaged and the tire lost air. Wife and & I are senior citizens and are driving enthusiasts, taking turns at the wheel - we freaked out seeing the damage. But the Maruti guys sent a mechanic who fixed the wheel problem and saw us back on the road again - great service by Maruti.
So if you are driving during the night on this highway - avoid driving on the extreme right or left. Your car may get damaged by carelessly left construction debris or you may drop off into the unmarked ditches dug by the NHAI for highway expansion.

Satish
satshen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 16:06   #515
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am driving from Bangalore to Munnar day after tomorrow. I went through these posts and understand that there are 2 routes, via Udmalpettai and via Dindigul Theni. My plan was to go via Dindigul route and come via scenic Udmal pettai route while returning.

Since there is some road work going on in Dindigul - Theni stretch, do you still suggest me to take the route.

Typically how much time does it take from Bangalore to Munnar for both of these routes.

Thanks in Advance
Old 27th September 2012, 18:10   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Typically how much time does it take from Bangalore to Munnar for both of these routes.
Its about 480-500 km. and about 10-11 hours max including break times. Start at 4AM

2.5 hours to Sale (200 km) (7AM)
1 hour for BF at Salem
2 hours to Dindigul (180 km) (10AM)
1.5 hrs to Theni (70-90 km depending on what route you take) (11:30)
1 hour lunch at Theni
2.5 hours to Munnar 80 km (60 km of ghats) (3 PM)

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2012 at 18:12.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 18:29   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Since Amp gave the details for the Dindigul route, let me outline the Udumalpet route.

Salem-Perundurai: 1hr 15mins
Perundurai-Kangeyam: 30mins
Kangeyam-Dharapuram: 30mins
Dharapuram-Udumalpet: 30mins
Udumalpet-Munnar Town: 2hrs 30mins

If your stay is in Chinnakanal that houses Club Mahindra and few other resorts, that is another 45min drive from Munnar town.
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 20:29   #518
BHPian

Thanks for the approx timings Ampere and luvurride. Since I will be staying at club mahindra, will take the Dindigul route while going. Starting at 4AM with two kids will be a challenge, but I will try. Could you also please suggest places for breakfast in Salem and lunch in Theni. Similarly while coming back I will have stop for lunch at Udalampettai, any suggestions here?

I will update the thread after I am back.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:13   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the approx timings Ampere and luvurride. Since I will be staying at club mahindra, will take the Dindigul route while going. Starting at 4AM with two kids will be a challenge, but I will try. Could you also please suggest places for breakfast in Salem and lunch in Theni. Similarly while coming back I will have stop for lunch at Udalampettai, any suggestions here?

I will update the thread after I am back.
At Salem : Splurge at GRT ! Great breakfast spread at about 300/-
Its really worth the money.

At Theni : Western Gatz (http://www.westerngatz.com)
Seems like very a decent place. Though I have never been to it.

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2012 at 21:25.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 21:16   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Could you also please suggest places for breakfast in Salem and lunch in Theni. Similarly while coming back I will have stop for lunch at Udalampettai, any suggestions here?
Salem will be a little too early if you start at 4. You could make it to Karur instead by 8, in which case these are the options - Hotel Padma, Hotel Valluvar. Both these hotels can be reached only by exiting onto Karur from highway, but not far. Padma is on the left about half a km once you exit. Valluvar is opposite to the bus stand, half a km further from Padma, making a left on the circle. Valluvar also have opened up a highway restaurant, but that is 30km further away from Karur towards Dindigul, near Aravakurichi. There are also a couple of highway restaurants just after you cross Karur, but I have never tried.

Theni - Hotel Meenakshi Bhavan which is to your right, after you cross Theni town.

If you must stop at Salem, you can try Hotel AMS on Kondalampatti circle. This will be on the other side of the road though.

There could be a few other highway options, which I am unaware of, as most of the highway hotels are short-lived. Maybe a few recent travelers might throw some light.

Udumalpet - Hotel Janakiram opp old bus stand if you are a veg, Sun hotels if you are Non veg, just after the railway overbridge before you enter town when you come from Munnar.

@Amp I've stayed in Western Gatz. That is the only decent hotel to stay in Theni. The food is however multicuisine type. I would prefer Meenakshi Bhavan anytime!

Last edited by luvurride : 27th September 2012 at 21:21. Reason: More content
Old 27th September 2012, 21:46   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post

@Amp I've stayed in Western Gatz. That is the only decent hotel to stay in Theni. The food is however multicuisine type. I would prefer Meenakshi Bhavan anytime!
Hey Thanks about Western Gatz. That surely helps.

I was aware of Meenakshi Bhavan. But since there would be kids, I thought a confined hotel with
parking would help. Hence I suggested that.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 21:55   #522
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you also please suggest places for breakfast in Salem and lunch in Theni.
You can refer this post from my travelogue for food options on both sides of the highway on the Bangalore-Dindigul route.
I remember reading a recent update that the Arya Bhavan between Salem-Namakkal was not operating so that may not be an option for you.
Hope this helps.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 21:55   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hey Thanks about Western Gatz. That surely helps.

I was aware of Meenakshi Bhavan. But since there would be kids, I thought a confined hotel with
parking would help. Hence I suggested that.
Meenakshi is decent where you can eat with families. I've taken my 1.5year old there and it was ok.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:03   #524
BHPian

Thanks for correct time taken info, ampere and luvurride. Just came back from munnar yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its about 480-500 km. and about 10-11 hours max including break times. Start at 4AM

2.5 hours to Sale (200 km) (7AM)
1 hour for BF at Salem
2 hours to Dindigul (180 km) (10AM)
1.5 hrs to Theni (70-90 km depending on what route you take) (11:30)
1 hour lunch at Theni
2.5 hours to Munnar 80 km (60 km of ghats) (3 PM)

Left at 5:00 am from home and reached club mahindra munnar at 1:45.
Had breakfast at GRT Salem and lunch at CM munnar. 2 hours saved ( lunch + chinnakanal - munnar drive) depended on google maps to take me through suggested route from Dindigul to Theni and ended up driving through diversions :( . Stopped at meenakshi bhavan for lunch, but continued as we were not hungry yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Since Amp gave the details for the Dindigul route, let me outline the Udumalpet route.

Salem-Perundurai: 1hr 15mins
Perundurai-Kangeyam: 30mins
Kangeyam-Dharapuram: 30mins
Dharapuram-Udumalpet: 30mins
Udumalpet-Munnar Town: 2hrs 30mins

If your stay is in Chinnakanal that houses Club Mahindra and few other resorts, that is another 45min drive from Munnar town.
Almost correct timings here too. Left Chinnakanal at 9:00 and reached home by 6:30. Stopped at many places on the way for snaps.
Also met another tbhpian who pm ed me at munnar.
pach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:45   #525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for correct time taken info, ampere and luvurride. Just came back from munnar yesterday.

Left at 5:00 am from home and reached club mahindra munnar at 1:45.
Had breakfast at GRT Salem and lunch at CM munnar. 2 hours saved ( lunch + chinnakanal - munnar drive) depended on google maps to
take me through suggested route from Dindigul to Theni and ended up driving through diversions :( . Stopped at meenakshi bhavan for lunch,
but continued as we were not hungry yet.

Almost correct timings here too. Left Chinnakanal at 9:00 and reached home by 6:30. Stopped at many places on the way for snaps.
Also met another tbhpian who pm ed me at munnar.
You should do the following to avoid Dindigul-Theni.

- Dont take the Theni road but drive towards Madurai on NH7
- Around 20 km beyond Dindigul, you would hit Kodai road (thats the point, where folks traveling to Kodai by train get down)
- Take the SH to Batlagundu.
- At Batlagundu again dont take the Theni road, but go to Andipatti. which is on Madurai-Theni NH.
- At Andipatti, latch on to the Madurai-Theni NH.

Route link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks