Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2013, 11:55   #631
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

The onward route would have been 531 kms, if not for the closed "highway" after Pooppara. I had to take Adimali route to reach Munnar.
Can someone confirm whether this section of NH49 - "Poopara - Munnar" is open for traffic now?

Also, the updates on road conditions between Dindigul and Theni would be helpful. Is there any road work going on?
Old 20th April 2013, 13:31   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Can someone confirm whether this section of NH49 - "Poopara - Munnar" is open for traffic now?

Also, the updates on road conditions between Dindigul and Theni would be helpful. Is there any road work going on?
Road between theni and Dindigul is pretty much drivable albeit at conscious speeds as its also used by villagers staying nearby. Road work is going on but wont affect your driving.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Fellow Team BHPians, i am planning to travel to Club Mahindra, Munnar from Bangalore. From the previous posts, it appears that the best route for me would be Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poopara - Suryanelli- CM resort. Am i correct in my deduction? Also are there any restrictions on carrying anything into TN and KL? I remember reading that at check posts, there were searches conducted inside the vehicles? Not sure for what? Is it that one is not supposed to carry Liquor etc?

As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Don't deviate anywhere. Just take the Theni route and get into chinnakanal. CM is in Chinnakanal area only. Suryaneli would be a detour for you. if you leave at 5:00 you should be able to reach Salem by 8:00 approx and by 12:30 you should be somewhere around Theni, hardly any decent places to hop after Salem. So plan accordingly.

Thanks!

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back-to-back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd April 2013 at 18:30. Reason: Posts merged
Old 20th April 2013, 14:12   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Don't deviate anywhere. Just take the Theni route and get into chinnakanal. CM is in Chinnakanal area only. Suryaneli would be a detour for you. if you leave at 5:00 you should be able to reach Salem by 8:00 approx and by 12:30 you should be somewhere around Theni, hardly any decent places to hop after Salem. So plan accordingly.

Thanks!
Thanks Shiv,

It would be prudent to stop at Salem for breakfast. Are there any recommendations for a breakfast joint in Salem (without any detour into the city) - on the highway. I would prefer a joint on the highway outside the city limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 20th April 2013, 17:07   #634
BHPian

Dindugal to Theni road construction work is more or less complete. There are maybe a few places where they have the "take diversion" boards. I drove along this route during the ugadi weekend.

Shyam

If you are going to CM, and if you are game for a route with some scenic views, try this road once you cross Bodimettu.

http://goo.gl/maps/rP239

It goes over the Anerangal dam. There are a few places where a sedan should watch out, but all-in-all, it is a route worth taking.

Shyam

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add more content to your post, within 30 mins of submitting it, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd April 2013 at 18:31. Reason: Posts merged
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:53   #635
BHPian

Hi Shyam,

I drive an Innova, so this road that you mention, is it very steep and lot of curves? Will Innova manage the drive comfortably? And also how about the width of the road, is it good for two cars to pass safely? I do not to cause unnecessary anxiety with my wife and kids - thats the reason why i need to be sure. Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:01   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shiv,

It would be prudent to stop at Salem for breakfast. Are there any recommendations for a breakfast joint in Salem (without any detour into the city) - on the highway. I would prefer a joint on the highway outside the city limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I didnt have breakfast outside, got some sandwiches packed from home and had it when we reached Salem.

AFA lunch is concerned, do you have a baby with you ? If no, would recommend, skip looking out for a Dhaba enroute and have the lunch at your resort as you should comfortably reach by 2:30 PM with a decent driving speed.

Thanks!
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:11   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Well, I didnt have breakfast outside, got some sandwiches packed from home and had it when we reached Salem.

AFA lunch is concerned, do you have a baby with you ? If no, would recommend, skip looking out for a Dhaba enroute and have the lunch at your resort as you should comfortably reach by 2:30 PM with a decent driving speed.

Thanks!
Thanks Shiv, no i don't have a baby. We may end up doing what you suggested - depending on the hunger levels in the car. Else, westerngatz in Theni seems like a good option.
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:00   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shyam,

I drive an Innova, so this road that you mention, is it very steep and lot of curves? Will Innova manage the drive comfortably? And also how about the width of the road, is it good for two cars to pass safely? I do not to cause unnecessary anxiety with my wife and kids - thats the reason why i need to be sure. Thanks
Innova will do the curves easily. Except for a small portion of the road (around 100mts or so), two vehicles can pass easily.

Shyam
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:35   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
Innova will do the curves easily. Except for a small portion of the road (around 100mts or so), two vehicles can pass easily.

Shyam
Ok thanks Shyam, we may try this road. When was the last time you used this road? was it recent? HVK was of the opinion that we should go on the highway 49 via poopara rather than this internal route. But if you say that the road condition is good and the scenery is great then we may try this as well
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:54   #640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok thanks Shyam, we may try this road. When was the last time you used this road? was it recent? HVK was of the opinion that we should go on the highway 49 via poopara rather than this internal route. But if you say that the road condition is good and the scenery is great then we may try this as well
If your destination is some where in Chinnakanal, then this detour would be good. Else it would be longer. But off course you get to see the water body on the way.
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:00   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If your destination is some where in Chinnakanal, then this detour would be good. Else it would be longer. But off course you get to see the water body on the way.
Hi Ampere, My destination is Club Mahindra in Chinnakanal. My only concern was the quality of the road. Will give it a shot.
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:50   #642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere, My destination is Club Mahindra in Chinnakanal. My only concern was the quality of the road. Will give it a shot.
Then definitely worth it. Just make sure that you cover this section before the light fades. In dark hours these roads it can get difficult. Any way you would want to take some good snaps of this location. So it would be good if you can reach here by noon (say 3/3:30), so that you get to spend some good time and can make it Club Mahindra before dark.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd April 2013 at 17:56.
Old 22nd April 2013, 18:30   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then definitely worth it. Just make sure that you cover this section before the light fades. In dark hours these roads it can get difficult. Any way you would want to take some good snaps of this location. So it would be good if you can reach here by noon (say 3/3:30), so that you get to spend some good time and can make it Club Mahindra before dark.
Thanks Ampere, With such a recommendation, i will definitely give it a shot. I will be reaching around 2 - 3 PM so should be ok.
Old 23rd April 2013, 03:05   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that this road has improved. The only time I used this road was about 10 years or so back (may be even more) when I travelled from Chinnakanal for about 8-10 kms past Suryanelli to meet someone who has an estate there. And those days the road was more or less strictly Jeep territory (and I did travel in my friend's 4WD jeep).

If it is fit enough for Sedans now that's very encouraging to hear because it is a lovely and scenic drive.
Old 29th April 2013, 11:04   #645
BHPian

Quote:
I did this route in February 2012. There are a few patches here and there, but worth the detour, simply for the scenic views.

Shyam

Most Viewed