Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hope this is the road in question/discussion :

Dharapuram bypass
Exactly the same route which i took.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:27   #662
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

@Ramp & @Ampere - Thanks for your inputs.

I traversed the concerned segment on 23rd May itself. The road signs are clearly visible and in english, so finding the onward route to Udumalaipettai was a breeze.
Will submit a report shortly.

Regards
Old 30th June 2013, 19:05   #663
BHPian

Greetings (and apologies for the late report)!

Finally completed the planned excursion to Munnar etc.from 23 to 28 May 2013. Left my place at Yelahanka, Bangalore (with wifey) at at 14.00 hrs., via NH 7 up to Hebbal, then almost straight up to Infantry road, then Brigade road leading out to Hosur road.

Encountered quite a bottle-neck at the toll plaza there but after that the Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-thopur-Salem section was easy. Quite a few bypass bridges on this section are still under construction. Switched to NH 47 at Salem to reach Perundurai at 18.00 hrs. Distance covered : 300 Kms.

We checked-in at Chennis hotel Perundurai, for the night. Its a very convenient place, close to the highway, but serves only veg. food.

Departed Perundurai at 12.00 hrs. next day and arrived at Munnar at 16.30 hrs. Distance from source : 500 Kms. The road condition on the section between Udumalaipettai and Munnar is pathetic, as compared to all the previous sections.

We encountered 5 check-points en-route, where they noted a few basic details in their register. There was no inspection or checking of any kind, no tips or gratuities needed to be paid, and there was also no hint of such 'donations', contrary to what was reported earlier in this thread.

After spending 2 nights at hotel Bellmount, and a change in travel plan avoiding a back-track to Udumalaipettai, we departed at mid-day, onwards to Ooty via Adimali-Neriamangalam-Kothamangalam,Perambavoor-Kalady-Angamali-Chalakudi-Thrissur-Pallakad-Coimbatoor-Mettupalyam-Coonoor. Munnar - Ooty distance : 365 Kms.

After a night in Ooty at Wellbeck residency, and cancelling an earlier plan to return to Bangalore, we decided to call in at Mysore, after confirming a booking at Ginger hotel. Route to Mysore was via Gudalur-Mudumalai-Bandipur-Gundlupet-Nanjangud. Ooty - Mysore distance : 165 Kms.

From Mysore, the return to Bangalore on 28 May 2013, was via Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakpura joining the NICE road up to Yeshwantpur, taking the flyover and going to the IISc junction, and thereafter Mekhari circle, Hebbal and Yelahanka. Distance from Mysore : 200 Kms.

Here are a few photos.

Regards,

Mohan.

Mod Note: Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol. Hence, posts containing ANY alcohol content (in text or pictures, directly or indirectly) will NOT be permitted.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-mnr-oty-mys-039.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-mnr-oty-mys-041.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-mnr-oty-mys-097.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-mnr-oty-mys-099.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st July 2013 at 07:48.
Old 1st July 2013, 07:47   #664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHAN_99 View Post
Departed Perundurai at 12.00 hrs. next day and arrived at Munnar at 16.30 hrs. Distance from source : 500 Kms. The road condition on the section between Udumalaipettai and Munnar is pathetic, as compared to all the previous sections.
Rarely get to see some one do Munnar and Ooty in one go !

Meanwhile I had an observation on the above:

- Since you broke your journey at Perundurai, it was natural for me to assume that you would start very early the next and hope to make it to Munnar faster and at the same time also enjoy the drive on the way
- But you started quite late (12PM). This negates your reason to take a break on the way. Unless of course you did not want to drive the full stretch one way.
Old 4th July 2013, 17:21   #665
Senior - BHPian

The entire Western Ghats(Kerala-Valparai-Kukke-Agumbe) is now getting very heavy rainfall. In fact, Kukke got 45 cm of downpour in just 24 hours!!

So as Ampere said, sipping steaming black tea and watching dark clouds and rainfall over the mountain ranges is all what one can do now!
Old 4th July 2013, 21:43   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On another day start early and go to #5 to see the Niligiri Tahr if you're lucky!
Eravikulam is on Udumalpettai-Munnar route, so it could be done on the way in or out, depending on how he's driving from or to Indore. Doing Eravikulam as a day trip from Munnar might lose the time you stay in Munnar.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 22:18   #667
BHPian

Guys,

A quick question. Was planning a drive down to Munnar in the 1st week of August. But, considering that the rains gods have been showering their blessings more than what was expected this year, wanted to know is it really safe driving down 500 km in one go.

Will be very keen to know the condition of the roads.

Cheers

PS: don't have enough time to do a break journey. Considering this, can I cover the distance in 8 hours.
No specific route liking: fastest one will be perfect.
Old 6th July 2013, 23:28   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

wanted to know is it really safe driving down 500 km in one go.
Yes you can actually if you take the Salem-Dindigul-Theni route as you cover most of the distance in 4 lanes until Dindigul. Since it looks like the rains have ravaged the already worse Udumalpet-Munnar ghat section, this will be the safe bet.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:45   #669
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
PS: don't have enough time to do a break journey. Considering this, can I cover the distance in 8 hours.
No specific route liking: fastest one will be perfect.
Take the Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Vatlagundu-Theni-Bodi route.

Key is to start as early as possible (4am would be ideal) from Bangalore, so that you can avoid city traffic in Bangalore as well as truck traffic on Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch where road work is in progress and this can really slow you down.
Other city/town traffic prone areas (at least on weekdays) are at Salem and school/college van/bus traffic from Salem to Namakkal.
If you can cover these stretches early, you should be able to reach quicker.

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2013 at 10:46.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:22   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Yes you can actually if you take the Salem-Dindigul-Theni route as you cover most of the distance in 4 lanes until Dindigul. Since it looks like the rains have ravaged the already worse Udumalpet-Munnar ghat section, this will be the safe bet.
I went to Munnar from Bangalore last week. Luckily it did not rain during my stay of 3 days. I followed Bangalore-salem- Udumalpet-Munnar in to journey and Munnar-theni-Dindigul-Bangalore in return.

I must say that ghat road after Chinnar forest reserve in Udumalpet-Munnar journey was very difficult to drive ( it was not raining for me). Turns are blind and you can't se opposite traffic due to hills/trees on sides. If it is raining then it will be very difficult to drive. To avoid the same ghat , I followed dindigul in return. Bodi to Munnar is under construction and is open for few hours in morning and evening. So I had to take route to Theni via some villages like cumbum.

Do not forget to go to Tea factory ( highest point in Munnar), scenic to factory was just awesome. You need to hire a jeep and a professional driver to go there.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:04   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Do not forget to go to Tea factory ( highest point in Munnar), scenic to factory was just awesome. You need to hire a jeep and a professional driver to go there.
I hope you are talking about 'Kolkumalai Tea Estate'.
It is just fantastic view from the top where we stand on convergence of two states viz; Kerala and TN.

The jeep ride is one hell of a ride, 4x4 lovers will enjoy this immensely. Loved the way the M&M commander handled the rugged terrain. My three year old son enjoyed the most.

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Old 10th July 2013, 19:31   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post

I hope you are talking about 'Kolkumalai Tea Estate'.
It is just fantastic view from the top where we stand on convergence of two states viz; Kerala and TN.

The jeep ride is one hell of a ride, 4x4 lovers will enjoy this immensely. Loved the way the M&M commander handled the rugged terrain. My three year old son enjoyed the most.

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Yes. I was referring the same. This is a must place to see in munnar. Those Commander drivers have great offloading skills.
Old 10th July 2013, 21:00   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post

Yes. I was referring the same. This is a must place to see in .
And this place is less frequented by tourists as its not an easy ride. So one can get away from the usual ' crowded ' mess

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:23   #674
Senior - BHPian

As per today's Deccan Herald there has been some landslides on the Munnar-Marayoor route due to which the road has been shutdown. Not sure of whether it has been cleared or not, so anyone planning to take that route - please check status before you go that way.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:33   #675
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
As per today's Deccan Herald there has been some landslides on the Munnar-Marayoor route due to which the road has been shutdown. Not sure of whether it has been cleared or not, so anyone planning to take that route - please check status before you go that way.
The heavy rains there have resulted in the Nyamakad Gap area being closed down owing to road collapse on account of landslides. One can only approach Munnar now through the other route, Chalakudy and Periakanal etc.

The August season is not the best time to visit as that area experiences super-heavy rains.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd August 2013 at 16:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks