Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 23:16   #766
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
What is the best route for Bangalore-Munnar trip? Read several threads on the forum but still confused. Can someone who's done this recently advise on the best option? I'll be travelling with my wife for a 4-5 days vacation, so open for night halt in between and if there is an option to cover a good place. This will be the first time I'll be travelling to Kerala, and bit apprehensive about food options for pure vegetarians, so any pointers for food along the route as well as in Munnar will also be much appreciated.
Moved you question here.

You have two routes:

1, Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar.
Brilliant roads till Theni.
2. Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram (Or Avinashi/Palldam) - Udumalpettai-Marayaoor-Munnar.
This has 90km of ghat roads from Udumalpet to Munnar.

I suggest you do option one when you go and option two when you come back. Because you will stop many a times to snap on the way to Udumalpet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 18:08   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1, Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar.
Brilliant roads till Theni.
Thanks Ampere!

I checked route#1 and find that Kodai is not far off!! Question is Munnar, Thekkady and Alleppey in this trip? Or, Kodai and Munnar?

We haven't been to any of these places before. Decisions, decisions
Old 6th March 2014, 18:26   #768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere!

I checked route#1 and find that Kodai is not far off!! Question is Munnar, Thekkady and Alleppey in this trip? Or, Kodai and Munnar?

We haven't been to any of these places before. Decisions, decisions
There is no point doing both Kodai and Munnar, even though they are close. I would suggest do Munnar and Thekkady. In fact if you don't want to stay at Thekakdy, you can do it as a day visit from Munnar too. And then from Munnar you can head to Kumarakom/Alleppey.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:08   #769
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This will be the first time I'll be travelling to Kerala, and bit apprehensive about food options for pure vegetarians, so any pointers for food along the route as well as in Munnar will also be much appreciated.
Along the route to Munnar you will not have any issues finding Veg food in the Tamil Nadu portions of your journey.
At Munnar, some veg options in Munnar town are: Saravana Bhavan (Veg, south indian) and SN Sujatha Inn (Veg, North Indian).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:47   #770
BHPian

Quote:
There is no point doing both Kodai and Munnar, even though they are close. I would suggest do Munnar and Thekkady. In fact if you don't want to stay at Thekakdy, you can do it as a day visit from Munnar too. And then from Munnar you can head to Kumarakom/Alleppey.
I was looking for exactly this kind of input - Thanks Ampere!
So, it's going to be Munnar, Thekkady and Alleppey. Now, the hunt for hotels starts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Along the route to Munnar you will not have any issues finding Veg food in the Tamil Nadu portions of your journey.
At Munnar, some veg options in Munnar town are: Saravana Bhavan (Veg, south indian) and SN Sujatha Inn (Veg, North Indian).
Thanks NPV!
Old 7th March 2014, 10:17   #771
mvp
BHPian

Hotel Sienna village which is about 15-20 km from munnar town is a good option. We stayed at sienna village few years ago. Nearest landmark is mahindra holidays.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:09   #772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
Hotel Sienna village which is about 15-20 km from munnar town is a good option. We stayed at sienna village few years ago. Nearest landmark is mahindra holidays.
Yes its a good place. Stayed here about 4-5 years back.

Also note: This place is in Chinnakanal which is 22km from Munnar on the Theni side. So if one is taking the Dindigul/Theni road, he/she need not drive all the way to Munnar. But then to head Mattupetty, they need to drive!
Old 7th March 2014, 12:25   #773
mvp
BHPian

Woods n spice is a new property attached to sterling holidays and is situated close to periyar wildlife sanctuary. Can be an option for thekkady.

I haven't stayed there but hear it is good - especially if you are interested in wildlife
Old 24th March 2014, 19:22   #774
Senior - BHPian

Can thekkady be done as a day trip from Munnar? I am planning a trip to Munnar only for around 3-4 days and the idea is to just relax and nothing much. So, checking to see if one of those days can be in thekkady.
Old 24th March 2014, 19:31   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Can thekkady be done as a day trip from Munnar? I am planning a trip to Munnar only for around 3-4 days and the idea is to just relax and nothing much. So, checking to see if one of those days can be in thekkady.
The very purpose of going to Thekkady is to go on the safari cruise to see wildlife - which is best done early morning or early evening. However, if the idea is only to drive Munnar-Thekkady-Munnar, then it is a great idea. Budget for 3 hours driving time ether way.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 19:50   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The very purpose of going to Thekkady is to go on the safari cruise to see wildlife - which is best done early morning or early evening. However, if the idea is only to drive Munnar-Thekkady-Munnar, then it is a great idea. Budget for 3 hours driving time ether way.
Thank you HV sir, I will probably do the early evening safari and return to Munnar, as I have confirmed accomodations in Munnar only.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:59   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you HV sir, I will probably do the early evening safari and return to Munnar, as I have confirmed accomodations in Munnar only.
Then again getting tickets for boat ride is not gonna be a sure shot. There will be a big queue of cars and auto-ricksaws right from 5 am beyond the sanctuary's check post, and once they let the cars and vehicles get in at 6 am, there will be another queue near the ticket counter at the jetty. It depends how crowdy it is on particular day, and how lucky you are. If some one misses the first ride at 7.30 am, they remain in the queue for the next ride at 9.30 am.

Even if you prefer the last ride of the day, please ensure that you are there as early as possible.

Sure tickets for boating are available for those who stay in any of the KTDC lodges which are there inside the sanctuary... for your info. You can also check for online booking of boating tickets, but online booking is costlier.

If you are not going on a boating ride in Thekkady, then it is no use driving all the way just for seeing Thekkady (as HVK sir says), you can stay back and enjoy Munnar rather

Btw, what is your overall route plan, please let us know.

Last edited by Ddrive : 25th March 2014 at 15:11.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 16:22   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Even if you prefer the last ride of the day, please ensure that you are there as early as possible.

Sure tickets for boating are available for those who stay in any of the KTDC lodges which are there inside the sanctuary... for your info. You can also check for online booking of boating tickets, but online booking is costlier.

Btw, what is your overall route plan, please let us know.
I will check for the online boating tickets, if it works fine then otherwise I will stay back in Munnar.

Below is the route I am decided on. Google maps also shows this as the faster of the routes as I would be staying in Sterling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Faster route (more 4 laned roads) would be Bangalore-Dindigul(NH7)-Vathlakundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal (Club Mahindra, Sterling are here). From here Munnar town is 20 Km or so, estimate about an hour's drive for Chinnakanal-Munnar town.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 16:45   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will check for the online boating tickets, if it works fine then otherwise I will stay back in Munnar.
Or the other option is head directly to Thekkady first. Finish the boating the next day morning and drive to Munnar by evening.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:04   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Or the other option is head directly to Thekkady first. Finish the boating the next day morning and drive to Munnar by evening.
+1 exactly... to ampere, I was about to suggest that only, but just held back. You can take the same route suggested by NPV (upto Theni) but towards Thekkady first, stay at KTDC Periyar house, do the first boating next morning and then drive to Munnar.

For a change you can take the Marayoor-Chinnar route while driving back from Munnar to Bangalore. More scenic and thrilling.

Please check out my recent TL if you wish.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-chinnar.html

Last edited by Ddrive : 25th March 2014 at 17:18. Reason: spell-checks
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed