Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:54   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Friends, I am planning a trip to Munnar for the 15th Aug long weekend. As i have previously done this trip via Salem Dindigul Theni Bodi route, want to do the Kanakpura, Chamarajanagar, Udumalapet Munnar, CM (Chinnakanal). I would like to reach Club Mahindra by 1:30 PM. Plan to leave by 4:30 AM.

A start at 4:30 would mean that we could be in Chamarajanagar by 7 (?). Is Nijaguna Residency a good place for breakfast?

Can i reach Munnar by 1:30 if i take this route? In case i am delayed, which is a good place for Lunch?

Yes nijaguna is ideal for breakfast,place warms up for breakfast only by 730.

You would reach munnar for lunch else you have a couple of restaurants at udumulpet

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:32   #827
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Can i reach Munnar by 1:30 if i take this route? In case i am delayed, which is a good place for Lunch?
In all probability you can reach CM, Munnar on time for Lunch. Otherwise, you may try Aanandhaas at Dhali - Munnar Road at Udumalpet. Another option is Gandhiram at Pollachi Bye-pass Road but, it involves a slight detour of around half a kilo meter. Even in Munnar, you may try Rajasthani Hotel (forgot the name of the hotel) which is on Udumalpet-Munnar exactly at the Munnar Town.
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:28   #828
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, I am planning a trip to Munnar for the 15th Aug long weekend. As i have previously done this trip via Salem Dindigul Theni Bodi route, want to do the Kanakpura, Chamarajanagar, Udumalapet Munnar, CM (Chinnakanal). I would like to reach Club Mahindra by 1:30 PM. Plan to leave by 4:30 AM.

A start at 4:30 would mean that we could be in Chamarajanagar by 7 (?). Is Nijaguna Residency a good place for breakfast?

Nijaguna starts late so you may end up waiting for breakfast there if you start at 4:30am.
I think a better option may be Ramavilas at Sathy, next to the Police Station. Another advantage of having breakfast at Sathy would be that you would have traversed down the Dimbham ghats.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd August 2014 at 20:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 22:52   #829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I doubt on this. Because:

- A 4:30 start means (assuming you start on time) you would be in CBE by 9:30/10.
- Assuming you reach Annur by 9AM, then starts you Coimbattore bypass routing.
- And that is Annur-Karumathampatti-Palladam-Udumalpet.
- I see in Google that its about 90 km.
- With small roads and villages to cross, I would give it about 2 hours.
- So that means you hit Udumalpet by 11-11:30PM.
- Now I assume 3 hours from Udumalpet to Munnar. Its about 90km and with winding roads and photo stops, I would assume it would be easily 3 hours.
- So its already 2:30 to Munnar.
- And last but not least CM is at Chinnakanal which is 22km from Munnar on the NH49 towards Theni. Thats another 40 minutes to an hour.
- So it easily goes till 3:30. And in between if you break more, add those stoppage times.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:15   #830
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention this in my earlier response. If you're looking to reach Club Mahindra by 1:30pm, you'd be better off taking the Salem-Dindigual-Theni route since it will be faster and you can reach Chinnakanal directly. The udumalaipet-marayoor route will get you to munnar town from where it will take an hour or so to drive the 20 odd Km to Chinnakanal where Club Mahindra is located.
For onward journey maybe you can take the Dindugal route and return via Marayoor-Udumalaipet-Chamarajanagar-Kanakapura.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd August 2014 at 09:17.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 17:42   #831
shimshumara

Hello All,
Thanks to all those people who helped me with the route to Munnar from BLR. I had plans to ride on my Bullet with my wife.

Unfortunately I had a fatal fall 3 weeks back and fractured my tail bone.
Though I am on the recovery mode now, my Ortho advised no driving and absoutely no riding for next 1 month.

I am forced to take the train to Madurai and then a cab to Munnar.
I will plan this ride sometimes later in the year.

Thanks once again for all the inputs. I shall save this thread.

Old 5th August 2014, 14:33   #832
Senior - BHPian

Munnar is mindblowingly beautiful now. We were there last week. The road from Bangalore via Theni is excellent. There are few rough patches on the Bodi ghat road. No worries as such. In and around Munnar, the roads are just awesome. enjoy your drive!
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:14   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Munnar is mindblowingly beautiful now. We were there last week. The road from Bangalore via Theni is excellent. There are few rough patches on the Bodi ghat road. No worries as such. In and around Munnar, the roads are just awesome. enjoy your drive!
Dear Fauji, Great to hear from you. Did you write a travelogue on your recent trip to Munnar?

By the way, may i ask what route did you take from Theni to Munnar (or should i assume Club Mahindra - as i remember you are a member). What was the time taken and when did you start your journey from Bangalore?
Old 6th August 2014, 16:28   #834
Oxy
BHPian

A friend is planning a trip to Thekkady from Bangalore. He will be driving. Wanted to ask a few queries on his behalf:

1. Is approximately a 500 kms drive. Is it probable to do this in a day?
2. How are the road conditions in general?
Old 6th August 2014, 16:47   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
A friend is planning a trip to Thekkady from Bangalore. He will be driving. Wanted to ask a few queries on his behalf:

1. Is approximately a 500 kms drive. Is it probable to do this in a day?
2. How are the road conditions in general?
Yes. It is easily possible in a day. He can take the Thekkady >> Cumbum >> Theni >> Dindigul >> Karur >> Salem >> Krishnagiri >> Bangalore route.

Dindigul to Bangalore is on NH7 with good roads and is easily doable in 5-6 hours with normal (80-100 kmph) speeds. Thekkady to Dindigul is on State Highways with decent roads and he can do it in 2-3 hours.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:08   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Now I assume 3 hours from Udumalpet to Munnar. Its about 90km and with winding roads and photo stops, I would assume it would be easily 3 hours.
Ampere, Driving to Munnar this Friday and my planned routes are below

Onward : Bangalore-Salem-Dindugal-Theni-Bodi-Munnar
Return : Munnar-Udumalapet-Dharapuram-Erode-Salem-Bangalore.

I am confused if I should latch on to NH7 on the return at Aravakuruchi from Dharapuram or if the Erode route is good enough to drive. Can you assist in my decision?
Old 25th August 2014, 11:15   #837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I am confused if I should latch on to NH7 on the return at Aravakuruchi from Dharapuram or if the Erode route is good enough to drive. Can you assist in my decision?
Gopi, I think either of the roads are equally good. Go with what you like!

there is also a clean bypass to Karur side. Dharapuram Bypass : Udumalpet-to-Karur

Last edited by ampere : 25th August 2014 at 11:41.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 11:40   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Gopi, I think either of the roads are equally good. Go with what you like!
Thank you Ampere. That allows me to take a decision after reaching Dharapuram. Munnar is most beautiful with the showers and mist. Unfortunately the past one week I see that sun is blazing in its full glory in Bangalore. Not sure what Munnar holds for us this weekend. Driving family there for the first time and I am hoping that they get to see the real beauty of Munnar.
Old 25th August 2014, 18:35   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Ampere, Driving to Munnar this Friday and my planned routes are below

Return : Munnar-Udumalapet-Dharapuram-Erode-Salem-Bangalore.

No need to get to Erode. You can do dharapuram-kangeyam-perundurai to latch on to NH7. Excellent roads.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 22:49   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
No need to get to Erode. You can do dharapuram-kangeyam-perundurai to latch on to NH7. Excellent roads.
luvtoride, thank you. Did you mean dharapuram-kangeyam-perundurai-Bhavani-Mettur to join NH7? It is close to 300kms of 2-lane roads and am worried about the traffic and the overtaking maneuvers in 2-lane road. Instead if I join Karur as recommended by Ampere, it is only 189kms to join 4-lane and I can drive that extra 100 kms in 4-lane bliss.

But driving to Mettur does open up additional possibility of visiting Mettur dam, drive through a scenic route and also bypass Salem completely. Thanks for bringing this up. I will decide based on the interest of kids and my strength to drive on return. Two lanes typically sap more energy than 4-lanes for driving and hence just from a driving point of view, I prefer 4-lanes any day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks