Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 21:02   #1036
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Bhpians - need your help on planning my trip in July. In july, i need to go to a temple called Ettukudi ,murugan temple from Bangalore. Its near thiruvarur, tamilnadu. I am planning to do a trip to Munnar before or after the journey to temple. I have decided on Munnar and mostly accommodation will be in Blackberry resorts. I have a 2 year old kid and we will be staying in munnar for 3d/2n. How should i proceed with the planning? Whats your views on whether I should do the Munnar holiday before or after the temple visit?
Look here for the route to Mannargudi.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...nkanni-12.html

Bangalore-Trichy-Tanjore is known. From Tanjore bypass take the route to Mannargudi and there on to Thiruthuraipoondi.

From here to Munnar:

Thiruthiraipoondi-Mannargudi-Tanjore bypass-Trichy-Dindidul-Theni-Munnar.

Its 4-lane from Tanjore to Dindigul and wide 2-lane to Theni. And there are on its the familiar terrain to Munnar.
Old 10th May 2016, 21:54   #1037
BHPian

Will need to pass Batlagundu on 14th & 18th May, will appreciate any latest update & opinion about this batlagundu bypass, with respect to bit unclarities eventuating from the quoted updates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please also note:

You now have a Batlagundu bypass. I think you will need to drive past the bypass for about a km towards the town to reach this hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It does not show up on Google route. Look for Dindigal Biryani outlet and right next you can the exit. I think it shown in satellite mode.

See Here

(Enable Satellite mode)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
OK. I see in the satellite mode the road as under construction. I guess, this is complete now as per info in this forum.

Quote:
The Batlagandu bypass is open now. Actually they closed it near the exit at Eden Garden Restaurant for some construction work (while i was on my way to Munnar on 8th April). However, It was open while I returned yesterday.
Is the bypass 'officially' open? Or at least unofficially open/optable with reasonable certainty? It is still uncharted in google maps, as of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Was not aware of the bypass when traveled, but I noticed in the Eden Garden restaurant side the road is blocked with mud.
Quote:
Once the mid-way bridge is completed, it will be a smooth bypass.
If not 'officially' opened, how okay and worth-it it is to take the bypass in terms of :
-- Possible bad roads or diversions at incomplete sections of bypass.
-- Risk of being sent back or route blocked at mid way or near exit of bypass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Thats a good news. It took me close to 25 minutes to cross Batlagundu last year on a long weekend, while going to Munnar.
It bypasses just ~5km of main road(https://goo.gl/maps/bHu2G1FWDUQ2), a town road I understand. The dense town and corresponding congested town road look further less of about 1.5km(https://goo.gl/maps/nBQd4pY1A6H2). How slowing and painful this 1.5km stretch or whole bypassed 5km could be that it is worth to risk an uncertain bypass?

On a different note, I will be heading to Kodai and election in TN is on 16th May. Can 16th and one or two days before, be worse for tourists in any way?

P.S.: This is my first post, so please bear any ignorance.
Old 10th May 2016, 22:08   #1038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
Will need to pass Batlagundu on 14th & 18th May, will appreciate any latest update & opinion about this batlagundu bypass, with respect to bit unclarities eventuating from the quoted updates:
Going past Batlagundu is another 10 minutes to your route. So absolutely not to worry from that point of view. Last I read, it was almost ready and many guys were taking. You can check at the exit point and ask for status at the near by hotels/shops.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 22:52   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Batalagundu byepass update

My brother travelled back from Kodaikannal to Bangalore yesterday. As per him byepass looks complete, however he was not able to take the road since it's blocked.

Earlier posts mentioned the road to be complete, so I guess it should be closed awaiting an official opening after elections are over.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:09   #1040
BHPian

Just back from our trip, yesterday the 17 May 16, to Rivulet Resort, which is just 18 kms from Munnar, and posting an update on the following:-

a) Vatalagundu/Batalagundu Byepass:- Closed and went through "Hell" to cross this Town-55 minutes! Nearly got rammed by a Bus trying to bulldoze its way to the Bus Stand.

b) Took the Pooppara-Rakumari-Rajakkad-Kuchantanny-Rivulet Road. No issues at all, in the bargain saved approximately 24 kms by not going to Pallivasal via Munnar.

c) 17 May was a Hartal, in Kerala, so was stopped at every village we passed but with a little bit of reasoning with the locals they let us pass. Drove down the Ghats without a single vehicle crossing us and found them stopped at the Kerala Check post at the end of the Ghats.

Thank all BHPians for their inputs which really assisted us in our journey.
Old 21st May 2016, 18:09   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Batalagundu byepass update
Update

Bypass was cordoned at entry & exit by barricades of mud piles, as of 18th May. Faced crawling traffic both ways, while approaching the circle at Batlagundu center. Will be a welcome bypass, certainly recommended once opened. Thankfully two good pit-stop options of Batlagundu, Jai Anjaneya & Eden Garden, towards both ends of bypass respectively, are not getting bypassed.
Old 18th July 2016, 20:26   #1042
BHPian

Thanks to this thread, Did Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar a week back and roads are in great shape except a small patch before Club Mahindra.

While coming back came via Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalpet-Dhimbam-Chamrajnagar-Mysore route and Chamrajnagar to Mysore route via Nanjanagudu road is under construction and really in bad shape.
0and1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 09:20   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
Thanks to this thread, Did Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar a week back and roads are in great shape except a small patch before Club Mahindra.
I am planning a road trip with my family to Munnar from Hyderabad in the month of October.

How much time did it take for you to reach Munnar from Bengaluru?
Old 21st July 2016, 09:51   #1044
Senior - BHPian

If you depart Bangalore quite early morning you're looking at 8 hours with sedate driving. The roads are really good. If you're leaving Bangalore on a Saturday morning , brace yourself for queues at tolls.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 09:41   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you depart Bangalore quite early morning you're looking at 8 hours with sedate driving. The roads are really good. If you're leaving Bangalore on a Saturday morning , brace yourself for queues at tolls.
I am planning to start from Hyderabad at 9 p.m on 04 Oct and reach Munnar by next day afternoon. We will be 5 of us and I am very much comfortable with night driving. I am thinking of taking my 15 year old humble Baleno. So this is going to be a non stop drive with ample breaks. Is it too ambitious?
Old 23rd July 2016, 09:45   #1046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I am planning to start from Hyderabad at 9 p.m on 04 Oct and reach Munnar by next day afternoon. We will be 5 of us and I am very much comfortable with night driving. I am thinking of taking my 15 year old humble Baleno. So this is going to be a non stop drive with ample breaks. Is it too ambitious?
Distance wise its not an issue. 600 + 500 (Hyd-BLR-Munnar). I just hope you are not lone guy driving and you have "active" company at night to keep you going.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 11:00   #1047
BHPian

Taking advantage of long weekend, I further took a day off on Friday and planned a three day trip to Munnar. Being a member, I booked my stay at Club Mahindra, Chinnakanal. While I took Chinnar route for my onward Journey (as I had to start my trip from Coimbatore), returned via Bodimethu to Chennai. Instead of taking NH 85 from Chinnakanal, wanted to be little adventurous and with the help of inputs from a local driver, took Chinnakanal-Suryanelli road till Siena Village resort and took the road opposite Siena Village which leads to Bodimethu. The road is motorable except for a couple of potholes which are still manageable. The total distance from CM, Chinnakanal to Bodimethu check post is around 15 km. I may not suggest this route after sunset as it is difficult to find a single soul on the road and due to its proximity to water sources, the route is infested with Elephants after sunset as told by the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-chinnabodi.jpg  

Old 12th September 2016, 05:57   #1048
BHPian

My trip to Munnar is finalized and I will be starting from Hyderabad on 02 Oct. As this will be my first trip to Kerala, I really need your valuable inputs. I hope the tensions between KA and TN will be cleared by then.

I am planning to start at 3.30 p.m on 2 Oct, so that I can reach Bangalore by 11.30 p.m. If I am reaching Bangalore at 11.30, would you suggest me to cross Bangalore through the city or do I need to take the By pass? Being Sunday night, I hope there won't be much traffic in the city. This is going to be a non stop drive till Munnar, but with adequate breaks.

Can someone help me to finalize the route map please? I had checked the previous posts, but for a person like me driving first time on this route, it is a bit difficult to keep track of the route. Please suggest a place for breakfast with clean washrooms, the exact turn offs I need to take and so on.
Old 14th September 2016, 07:57   #1049
BHPian

Reposting my own query..Need help .

Quote:
My trip to Munnar is finalized and I will be starting from Hyderabad on 02 Oct. As this will be my first trip to Kerala, I really need your valuable inputs. I hope the tensions between KA and TN will be cleared by then.

I am planning to start at 3.30 p.m on 2 Oct, so that I can reach Bangalore by 11.30 p.m. If I am reaching Bangalore at 11.30, would you suggest me to cross Bangalore through the city or do I need to take the By pass? Being Sunday night, I hope there won't be much traffic in the city. This is going to be a non stop drive till Munnar, but with adequate breaks.

Can someone help me to finalize the route map please? I had checked the previous posts, but for a person like me driving first time on this route, it is a bit difficult to keep track of the route. Please suggest a place for breakfast with clean washrooms, the exact turn offs I need to take and so on.
Old 14th September 2016, 10:10   #1050
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reposting my own query..Need help .
If you're reaching Bangalore at 11:30pm (and on a Sunday), it is best to go right through the city, the NH207 bypass at that hour will be deserted, dark and confusing and it's easy to miss turn offs. Two questions:
1. What is your place of stay in Munnar ? Nearer to the town or near Chinnakanal (Club Madhindra, Sterling, etc are located here) ?
2. Are you familiar with Bangalore city roads, at least the ORR between Hebbal and KR Puram ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks