Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 15:06   #1051
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're reaching Bangalore at 11:30pm (and on a Sunday), it is best to go right through the city, the NH207 bypass at that hour will be deserted, dark and confusing and it's easy to miss turn offs. Two questions:
1. What is your place of stay in Munnar ? Nearer to the town or near Chinnakanal (Club Madhindra, Sterling, etc are located here) ?
2. Are you familiar with Bangalore city roads, at least the ORR between Hebbal and KR Puram ?
I have booked Queen of Munnar hotel in Munnar town. I am not very familiar with Bangalore roads.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:15   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I have booked Queen of Munnar hotel in Munnar town. I am not very familiar with Bangalore roads.
You can rely on google maps and/or a gps device if you can get hold of one for the trip.
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473846288.453547.jpg
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 15:20   #1053
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you're going to Munnar town, better to take NH 7 from Bangalore all the way to Salem, turn off to NH 47, go till Avinashi bypass, take Mangalam turn off to Palladam, then Udumalaipet-Marayoor and Munnar (not at all difficult, simple route in fact).
Route map - link

To get from Hyderabad road side (north) of the NH 7 to the Hosur side of the NH 7 (south) I would suggest you take this route:
While entering Bangalore from Anantpur/Bagepalli side, Keep straight past Devanahalli and Bangalore Airport junctions and the elevated road will get you down near Hebbal (Columbia Asia hospital on left). At this junction keep to extreme left and you will join the Outer Ring Road. Keep going on this ORR till you come down on the ramp at Tin Factory junction (Old Madras Road). Now keep to left on the service road (don't take the up ramp to Hanging Bridge!) and just after the KR Puram Railway station, take the up ramp to the other side of ORR.

The ORR will merge with Hosur road at Silk Board junction where you turn left, then continue straight on Hosur road till Attibele (you can take the elevated tolled road or stay on the portion below which is non-toll).

Now you're all set to go to Hosur. Your next turn off is at Salem to get to NH 47, then the Mangalam Road (look for Palladam exit signage). At Palladam there is a 4 way junction where you need to go straight and take left fork for Udumalaipet (right goes to Pollachi), then at Uduamalaipet follow signs for Munnar. You will reach the Chinnar forest Check post and then head towards Marayoor and Munnar).

Hope this helps.
*Note that there are other ways like exiting the ORR before Tin factory and going via Indiranagar, Koramangala to reach Hosur Road but won't suggest them if you're not familiar since it can be confusing, for example you need to take the service road after Ramamurthy nagar junction and go via Kasturi Nagar to reach Old Madras road, make a U-turn to get to Indiranagar, etc.

Last edited by NPV : 14th September 2016 at 15:22.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 07:54   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You can rely on google maps and/or a gps device if you can get hold of one for the trip.
Attachment 1554162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you're going to Munnar town, better to take NH 7 from Bangalore all the way to Salem, turn off to NH 47, go till Avinashi bypass, take Mangalam turn off to Palladam, then Udumalaipet-Marayoor and Munnar (not at all difficult, simple route in fact).
Route map - link

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great inputs. I will be carrying a GPS device for sure. Any idea about the road conditions from Salem to Munnar now after the monsoon rains? Any good roadside eateries with clean washrooms around Salem?
Old 19th September 2016, 10:25   #1055
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about the road conditions from Salem to Munnar now after the monsoon rains? Any good roadside eateries with clean washrooms around Salem?
Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi bypass is good NH roads (NH7 & 47).
Mangalam - Palladam - Udumalaipet should also be good (never seen bad patches on Mangalam-Palladam stretch so far)
Chinnar forest road is bit narrow and there may be the odd rough patches. More than 6 months ago, there was some pipe laying work inside Udumalaipet town and at the first 4 Km from the town after you turn off towards Chinnar (following the Munnar signage in the town near Bus stand). I'm quite sure this work should be completed by now.

Eateries
  • *Sree Saravana Bhavan - left side, Kaveripattinam bypass, 3Km after Krishnagiri toll
  • Annapoorna - left side, between Krishnagiri and Thoppur tolls
  • *Sai Sangeeth - right side, inside IOC bunk campus, before Thoppur toll
  • A2B - right side, inside BP bunk campus, before Thoppur toll
  • Sharvesh Inn - left side, just after Thoppur toll
  • Aasai Dosai - right side, Salem (second signal/4 road junction)
  • Park - left side, Salem town
  • Grand Estancia - left side, Salem town
  • *A2B - left side, inside BP campus/KPN Plaza, just after Salem toll beginning of NH 47
  • *Sree Saravana Bhavan - left side, NHAI amenity plaza, 500 m before Vaigundam toll
The ones marked with * are the ones I have tried and prefer over others

Last edited by NPV : 19th September 2016 at 10:28.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 15:42   #1056

Couple of months back, I booked a hotel in munnar, which is non-refundable.
The plan is to go on 8th to 11th October long weekend.
But, due to the recent develop of Cauvery issue, I am afraid of covering the big part of the route through Tamil Nadu.
My car has KA registration and travelling from Bangalore.
I am also trying train as my second option, but all are in waiting list.
I am looking for some suggestion from you - if anyone is also planning to go on the same dates.

Last edited by koushikroy1989 : 27th September 2016 at 15:48.
Old 27th September 2016, 15:57   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikroy1989 View Post
Couple of months back, I booked a hotel in munnar, which is non-refundable.

I am looking for some suggestion from you - if anyone is also planning to go on the same dates.
You can avoid entering Tamil Nadu by taking the following route. It will take long though.

https://goo.gl/maps/R3mPXTUT3sn
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 16:05   #1058

Hi pramodpk,

Thanks for the route. But, including buffer time for halts and traffic, it may go up to 17 to 18 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
You can avoid entering Tamil Nadu by taking the following route. It will take long though.

https://goo.gl/maps/R3mPXTUT3sn
Old 27th September 2016, 16:23   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushikroy1989 View Post
Hi pramodpk,

Thanks for the route. But, including buffer time for halts and traffic, it may go up to 17 to 18 hours.
You can think of halting at Wayanad or Kozhikode (beach resort).
Old 29th September 2016, 13:21   #1060

Thanks to Make My Trip, they have refunded my non-refundable booking.
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:52   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Is it unsafe even to be taking the small stretch between Thepekadu - Gudalur - Nadugani in KA board (Yellow on black background self drive) vehicle? In that case the only option left I guess would be to take Handpost - Mananthavady and trickle all the way down.

Contemplating reaching Mysore the night before and starting early from there to Munnar.
Old 10th October 2016, 10:43   #1062

I travelled to Munnar from Hyderabad on 30th Sep and reached Munnar in 17 hours. Roads all the way are good to moderate. Roads are narrow at Chinnar wildlife forest and from there to Munnar it took lot of time with too many turns as expected. Currently there are not much rains in munnar and not much water in waterfalls and streams. Stayed in Suryanelli and had an excellent view from hotel room. do not miss the adventure trip to Kolukkumalai as Commander jeeps/and SUV's can travel as no proper roads to that place.

Started from Hyderabad around 7pm and reached Devanahalli by 2:30am. Crossed the bangalore city in 1 hour all the way to Attibele and reached salem by 6am. Took the Avinashi-Palladam-Udumalpeta route by 9 am and roads are excellent all the way.

overall I stopped for 2 fuel brakes and 1 breakfast (take small nap for 20 min) @ salem.

I had got down at 4 checkposts for entry inside Chinnar forest (2 TN / 2 Kerala).

While return I visited Maurai meenakshi temple. The temp is 20 to 22C in Suryanelli and when I reached madurai it was 40C and too hot outside. Had darshan and started from madurai @ 6pm to vijayawada and reached by 7 am with two fuel brakes, 1 dinner brake and couple of nap brakes. Reached Chennai around midnight and crossed the city in 1 hour. Overall it's fun to drive as the roads are so good and I never crossed 110KPH.
hyderabadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 09:52   #1063
BHPian

I am back from a wonderful trip to Munnar. We started at 4.45 p.m from home at B.H.E.L and filled petrol at a petrol station exactly 5 kms from home in Lingampally. My humble 2001 model Baleno Sedan took in 41 lts of petrol at auto cutoff. Took ORR and exited at Shamshabad exactly at 5.40 p.m. We reached Ananthapur around 9.45 p.m and had our home cooked dinner. Started again after 45 mins and reached bangalore around 2.00 a.m. Being new to the city, I took about 1.30 mins to cross the city through ORR as suggest by NPV. Filled petrol at Shell and the car took in 31.4 lts of petrol. The trip ODO was exactly 622 kms. At this point of time, the mileage of the car took me by surprise. The car gave me an amazing mileage of 19+ kmpl and this is a great number for a 16 year old car and that too a 1.6 Baleno. We crossed Bangalore around 3.30 a.m and reached Salem at 6.30 a.m. Halted for breakfast for my Kid at Saravana Bhavan Classic at 7.00 and started from there by 7.45. Took a turn off at Avinashi around 9.00 a.m and had our home cooked breakfast. Started again after 30 mins of break and reached Udumulpet at around 11.30 a.m. Reached Marayoor at 1.30 and topped up petrol. The car took in exactly 13.2 lts of Petrol. Finally reached Munnar at 3.00 p.m and found tough time in reaching our hotel.

We took the same route while returning. Started from Munnar at 3.30 p.m and filled petrol a Marayoor. The car took in an another 12.1 lts of petrol. We reached Saravana Bhavan near Salem at 8.15 p.m. Had our dinner and started off at 9.00 p.m. Filled petrol again for 11.4 lts at Salem town. From there it was a non stop drive till Chikkaballapur which we reached at 2.30 a.m. Had bio break at a petrol pump and topped up petrol for 13.2 lts. Started at around 3.15 a.m and reached home in B.H.E.L at 9.45 a.m.

I was the lone driver and door to door from B.H.E.L to Munnar was exactly 1111 kms. The car gave me a mileage of approximately 17.6 kmpl for the round trip of 2450 kms. The best part was, roads were very good all through. Roads are freshly laid in Chinnar forest upto Marayoor. By end of this month the road upto Munnar also will see freshly laid tarmac. Never crossed 100 kmph all through the trip.
JoseVijay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 13:17   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally reached Munnar at 3.00 p.m and found tough time in reaching our hotel.

I was the lone driver and door to door from B.H.E.L to Munnar was exactly 1111 kms.
Nearly 24 hours of single man driving? That's quite a feat. Any special preperations or tricks of the trade?
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 14:24   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never crossed 100 kmph all through the trip.
That's a good feat indeed. By not exceeding speeds beyond 100 kmph, you would have experienced less fatigue, ability to drive longer, better control of the vehicle and finally better fuel efficiency.
Going consistently at say 90 kmph will help a driver in reaching his/her destination safely. Highly commendable job on your part.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed