Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2017, 13:56   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am driving from Munnar to Bangalore on Sunday, 27th Aug with a 9 am start and planning to stick to my regular route on Marayur, Udumal. Considering the long weekend crowd at the Toll Plazas, I am thinking of taking Avinashi, Chamrajnagar, Kanakpura road than coming through Salem. I do have fasttag, but past experience at Thoppur, Krishnagiri and Attibelai during long weekends are simply horrible even with Tag.

Looking for suggestions based on your experience
You can try this route to avoid 5 toll booths while coming from Coimbatore to Bangalore. Roads should be OK. There is a ghat section near Pennagaram.

https://goo.gl/maps/Jucqht8cZQD2
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 16:24   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Thanks, will skip toll route and use either of this. Sad state, basic purpose of having 6/4 lane highways getting beaten due to the toll plazas
True but then today most 2L highways have good to very good tarmac, minimal traffic and beautiful vistas. These days I would rather take the 2L than the boring 4L/6L roads. Here is a short drive video of Shoolagiri - Anchetty stretch that I did last weekend.

procrj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:44   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Started from Munnar around 10.30 am, trusted Google and took the Salem Krishnagiri stretch and could reach home at 8.15 pm with 1.15 mts break for lunch and tea. Krishnagiri toll plaza was horrible with queue stretching all way till middle of the Chennai road flyover. I took the service road and got lucky to be merged near the tollgate without trouble, could not have spent more than 15 mts where as it could have been around 1 hour in the long queue. Thoppur and Krishnagiri tolls were allowing all vehicles in the fasttag lane, all other place had exclusive lane only for Fasttag. Thoppur plaza had long queue, but there were many toll plaza folks moving around selling the tickets to the waiting vehicles. This was a big help and could get out within 10 mts.
Old 7th September 2017, 14:34   #1144

I am planning a trip to Munnar on 29th of this month. can our BHPians guide me about the best route to take.
would the route through avinashi - udamalpatti - munnar a better option than the dindugal - theni - munnar route. has anybody travelled through lately ? what is the road condition ?

I plan to have a 5am exit from Bangalore. it would be nice to know about the best breakfast and lunch options that i can get on the route.
Old 7th September 2017, 14:58   #1145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAND BR View Post
would the route through avinashi - udamalpatti - munnar a better option than the dindugal - theni - munnar route.
Choice of route would also depend on where in Munnar is your destination (place of stay). For hotels/resorts near Chinnakanal like Sterling, Mahindra, etc Theni route makes sense and for places nearer/inside Munnar town, the Udumalaipet-Marayoor route makes sense. Where are you planning to stay ?
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 15:20   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAND BR View Post
I am planning a trip to Munnar on 29th of this month....has anybody travelled through lately ? what is the road condition ?
Hey Anand, I did a Bangalore - Munnar - Bangalore back in July, and I choose the following route:

Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Munnar

The roads are just lovely and i did not have any issues.

However, as NPV has posted, it depends on which part of Munnar you are planning to stay.

I stayed at Parakkat Resorts, which is in 2nd Mile, Pallivasal Rd.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2017 at 17:12. Reason: Formatting
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 17:15   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Thanks guys, I am also headed to Munnar towards the end of the month.

Will be staying at club Mahindra, thanks to Anand BR who is a member.

What's the travel time from Attibele ? Plan to start at 5 am. Also what breakfast options at/around Salem or beyond ? Comfort stop options on route?

Plan a breakfast and probably 2 comfort stops.

Hope to get to Munnar for lunch.

Thanks.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 7th September 2017 at 17:33.
Old 7th September 2017, 18:43   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Will be staying at club Mahindra
This warrants the route via Theni. Simply because you will be at Chinnakanal which is 22km from Munnar towards Theni

Quote:
What's the travel time from Attibele ? Plan to start at 5 am. Also what breakfast options at/around Salem or beyond ? Comfort stop options on route?
~500 km in total

200 - Salem (2.5 hours)
180 - Dindigul (2 - 2.5 hours)
~80 Theni and Bodi Exit ( 1.5 hours)
~50 km in Ghats till resort ( 1.5 hour)

Account for about 8-10 hours. Start at 4:30 to be in Salem by 7. Quite many places open. By 10 you should be crossing Dindigul. 12 should be Theni in time for a lunch. Am aware of couple of hotels. ABM Grande and Western Gatz. For the later you need to get into town. But for the former take the bypass and once back on to the main highway the hotel shows up. Look at maps and you will know.

Quote:
Plan a breakfast and probably 2 comfort stops.
Hope to get to Munnar for lunch.
Wont suggest that. What I would suggest is have lunch at Theni an early one if possible take the last leg easy. Because if you spot snapping opportunities you may want to spend some time.

And also because you may want to descend via Marayoor Udumalpet when coming back. And that gives a different view on a different route. Since you may not get to see the Bodi side again, I would suggest take the ghat roads easy and slow.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ampere : 8th September 2017 at 15:35. Reason: Formatted post
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 20:13   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Any BHPians driving to Munnar from Bangalore on Friday the 29th? Plan a 5 am start. We can drive together. We are 2 cars. Both BHPians.

Also would like to know if there are any company operated(COCO) fuel bunks between Salem and Dindigul? Closer to Dindigul will be better.
Old 26th September 2017, 22:45   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Any BHPians driving to Munnar from Bangalore on Friday the 29th? Plan a 5 am start. We can drive together. We are 2 cars. Both BHPians.

Also would like to know if there are any company operated(COCO) fuel bunks between Salem and Dindigul? Closer to Dindigul will be better.
Hi Arjun, I am also leaving on 29th Morning at 4 AM to Munnar. My stay is at Golden Ridge Mountain Resort near Chinnakanal. Maybe we can catch up.
I would be in a Greyish Skoda Rapid Black edition with "Got BHP" sticker on rear bumper.
Old 27th September 2017, 07:59   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Hi Arjun, I am also leaving on 29th Morning at 4 AM to Munnar. My stay is at Golden Ridge Mountain Resort near Chinnakanal. Maybe we can catch up.

I would be in a Greyish Skoda Rapid Black edition with "Got BHP" sticker on rear bumper.

Inbox your number. Will catch up on the way or in Munnar. Thanks.
Old 28th September 2017, 19:59   #1152
BHPian

Sure.

Need some help with the fastest route to get back from allepy to bangalore.

Google maps shows alleppey to thrissur, pallakad, erode, Salem... Is this the fastest route or is there a better route.
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:52   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Sure.
Google maps shows alleppey to thrissur, pallakad, erode, Salem... Is this the fastest route or is there a better route.
Not sure if it is too late to respond. But this indeed is the fastest route to reach Bangalore.

Do update us about the time taken and the road conditions if you happened to drive through the above route.

Drive Safe
R-Six
Old 31st October 2017, 14:47   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Planning to visit Kodaikanal-Munnar from Bangalore over last week of this year. Will take the usual Dindigal route from Bangalore for Kodaikanal and then Theni route for Munnar further.
Is there any other route from Munnar to Bangalore than taking the same route back home? Google maps show couple of routes via Avinashi, one via Salem and other via Malavalli/Kanakapura.
Considering the horrifying experiences of toll gates (recently traveled to Pondicherry by wasting 3 hours at Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls) via Salem, should I try the other route? I have no choice while going but have some hopes while returning back

Last edited by rajivtelang : 31st October 2017 at 14:50.
Old 31st October 2017, 16:00   #1155
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Is there any other route from Munnar to Bangalore than taking the same route back home? Google maps show couple of routes via Avinashi, one via Salem and other via Malavalli/Kanakapura.
Onward journey - if you take Kodai-Theni-Munnar you will first reach Chinnakanal area where Sterling, Mahindra, etc are located. From there it will take 1+ hour to reach Munnar town which is 20+ Km away. Where do you plan to stay ?

Return journey - the other route to exit Munnar is via Marayoor.
From Marayoor you get to Udumalaipet and then take Palladam-Mangalam to reach the Avinashi bypass on NH 47/544.
From Avinashi, if you drive via Salem, then you will encounter the dreaded Krishnagiri and Attibele tolls during the end of a holiday/weekend.
Alternatively, from Avinashi you can go via Dhimbam-Hasanur-Chamarajanagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 31st October 2017 at 16:05.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks