Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 09:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

No problems in roads around Munnar, they are all fine.
Old 9th September 2010, 09:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go via salem instead of mettur. Much better roads - 4 lane all the way till avinashi.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:08   #108
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the fast replies hvkumar & RoC.

I am thinking I'll do one route going and the other one coming back.

I am more interested about the conditions inside Munnar and immediate surrounding since it is raining a good bit.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 9th September 2010 at 10:15.
Old 9th September 2010, 12:31   #109
BHPian

@lancer_rit,

The only thing to worry during the rainy season, are felling trees in the Bodi-Munnar route. The authorities do regularly sweep (and sometimes deliberately prune) them, to ensure they dont cause trouble to the road users. Just ensure You drive in broad daylight, to avoid any surprises.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:10   #110
BHPian

I had been to munnar on 5th from bangalore. Road from bangalore upto Coimbatore is great double road, 300 kms can be covered in 3 hours and from there it will take 5 hours to reach munnar as its curved roads and single road. Road is good all the way, no poth holes and road from munnar to thekkady is also excellent.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:44   #111
Senior - BHPian

Update from my trip on 10th Nov

As I posted earlier, I took the Mettur->Bhavani-> Dharapuram route while going, while I stuck to NH47 to Salem, and onto NH7 on the return back.

As reignofchaos said, I recommend to stick to NH7/NH47 combo till turn off for Dharapuram. This is much better (butter smooth road surfaces) and faster roads - divided 4-lane all through.
Also, I was a bit careless @ Mettur, and instead of turning left, I took the right over the dam, and by the time I asked around, I had already done 10km, while I had to come back.

In Munnar, Top station road is fantastic, other roads have potholes and bumps. Road through Chinnar/Anamalai sanctuary is pretty narrow for the most part. Views were great.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I had been to munnar on 5th from bangalore. Road from bangalore upto Coimbatore is great double road, 300 kms can be covered in 3 hours and from there it will take 5 hours to reach munnar as its curved roads and single road. Road is good all the way, no poth holes and road from munnar to thekkady is also excellent.
300kms in 3hrs! Which car? what day?
Are you talking about Indian highways?
Old 14th September 2010, 21:25   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
As I posted earlier, I took the Mettur->Bhavani-> Dharapuram route while going, while I stuck to NH47 to Salem, and onto NH7 on the return back.
Bangalore -> Salem -> Dharapuram -> Udumalpettai -> Munnar would be the fastest now.

On return, there is another alternate route: Munnar -> Devikulam -> Pooppara -> Bodinaykannur ->Theni -> Dindigul -> Karur -> Namakkal -> Salem -> Bangalore. Combination of NH49 and NH7. Roads are good all the way with 4lane NH7 and scenic NH49. Can do in 9-10Hrs.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:40   #114
Team-BHP Support

From Udumalpet there is another option.

Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-BLR

I am told Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi is a belter and then its 4L.
Old 15th September 2010, 00:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
300kms in 3hrs! Which car? what day?
Are you talking about Indian highways?
5th Sunday early morning at 4am. I drove in honda City. Any car should be able to do it. Such a nice road.
Old 15th September 2010, 01:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is why I always thought its better to take GQ all the way (either till Perindurai or Avinashi) before deviating for Valparai/Munnar.

Mettur route was taken only because either one wants change of road or visit the dam or NH47 four-laning was not complete.
Other reasons some take the Mettur route-
1. atleast about 15kms shorter
2. two tolls avoided

All local trucks take this route for the above said reasons.

Personally, I take this road in the nights as there will not be any two wheeler traffic and people roaming on the road. Besides, the roads are only bad in small stretches. I can maintain 100kph for most parts and I normally do this 90km stretch in 70mts.
Old 15th September 2010, 08:56   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Udumalpet there is another option.

Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-BLR

I am told Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi is a belter and then its 4L.
Avinashi and some stretch beyond is a pain since there is a lot of traffic on 2-lane undivided highway, and some of it is slow moving.
On my return, I had halted at Coimbatore for some work. Coimbatore-Avinashi was really slow and frustrating.
Definitely, best to do Udumalpet -> Dharapuram -> NH47 -> Salem -> BLR !

@luvurride, there are rough surfaces and some potholes on Mettur -> Bhavani -> NH47 route. Depending on when you are on the stretch, there is a good bit of traffic. Also, I don't think its easy to do this stretch in 70 mins (~77kmph) if one is on it the first time. My GPS tracks indicates an avg speed of ~55kmph.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 15th September 2010 at 08:57.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:47   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avinashi and some stretch beyond is a pain since there is a lot of traffic on 2-lane undivided highway, and some of it is slow moving.
On my return, I had halted at Coimbatore for some work. Coimbatore-Avinashi was really slow and frustrating.
Definitely, best to do Udumalpet -> Dharapuram -> NH47 -> Salem -> BLR !
By the 2L road do you mean Pollachi/Palladam/Avinashi stretch?
Is traffic slow moving in that stretch. I read in another post that there was hardly any traffic on that stretch.

I did not mean Avinashi-CBE stretch at all. At Avinashi there is a diversion to Palladam.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the 2L road do you mean Pollachi/Palladam/Avinashi stretch?
Is traffic slow moving in that stretch. I read in another post that there was hardly any traffic on that stretch.

I did not mean Avinashi-CBE stretch at all. At Avinashi there is a diversion to Palladam.
I haven't been on the Pollachi-Avinashi stretch, but going through Avinashi town and the 2-lane roads after, before the NH47 becomes 4-laned, one makes slow progress.
Udmalpet -> Pollachi is reasonably fast progress on 2lane undivided roads.
I had done, Munnar -> Udmalpet -> Pollachi -> Coimbatore, and Coimbatore -> Avinashi -> ...
Old 15th September 2010, 10:40   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I haven't been on the Pollachi-Avinashi stretch, but going through Avinashi town and the 2-lane roads after, before the NH47 becomes 4-laned, one makes slow progress.
Udmalpet -> Pollachi is reasonably fast progress on 2lane undivided roads.
I had done, Munnar -> Udmalpet -> Pollachi -> Coimbatore, and Coimbatore -> Avinashi -> ...
Then what I am referring to is NOT to go to CBE. At Pollachi you take a diversion to Palladam which joins Avinashi directly. As I read, here in this forum, this is a beautiful 2L road with hardly any traffic. This way you bypass CBE.

Most Viewed