Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 19:02   #1321
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvytorques View Post
Did Bangalore to Munnar via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu. Great roads throughout especially the the ghat section from Theni to Bodi.

Route - Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi
Travel Time - 10 hours

Return Trip
Route - Munnar-Marayoor-Udamalpet-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore
Travel Time - 11 hour, 55 mins
Travelling to Munnar in Aug. Google maps shows Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodinayakanur route as the fastest one to reach Chinnakanal. Wanted to understand how the road condition is for both Avinashi and Dindigul route at present. I dont mind driving a few additional kms as long as the route is good. If someone can list down the positives and negatives of each route it would be helpful to decide.

Last edited by adutta2k : 29th July 2022 at 19:10. Reason: missed to add route details
Old 22nd December 2022, 17:15   #1322
BHPian

Anyone recently been to Munnar from Bangalore? How are the roads via Salem? Please share any pointers on the road conditions or alternative routes or anything else that needs to be taken care off? Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:37   #1323
BHPian

We travelled in April. The roads were satisfactory , The same road via Salem is mostly good.
Old 26th December 2022, 11:24   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Anyone recently been to Munnar from Bangalore? How are the roads via Salem? Please share any pointers on the road conditions or alternative routes or anything else that needs to be taken care off? Thanks in advance.
Did Munnar - Marayur - Udumel - Palladam - Avinashi - Salem 2 weeks back, road were decent in the forest stretch and good in other places. It is better to start early and cover the forest stretch and even the tea gardens before it gets dark to avoid wild elephant encounters.

Your choice of route will also depend or where you are staying in Munnar, and preferences like availability of food outlets, forest/ghat stretches, kids in group etc.
Old 6th March 2023, 07:57   #1325
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Munnar - Thekkady - Coimbatore - Bangalore Last week.

Bangalore to Munnar - Since I was starting from Bannerghatta Road and also my homestay was 19 KM South of Munnar, took the following Route -

Gottigere - Nice Road - Hosur - Salem - Dindigul - Batlagundu - Theni - Bodi - Pooppara - Rajakkad - Anaviratty.

Overall the roads were in excellent condition between Hosur and Dindigul except for few deviation due to Flyover Construction. After Dindigul, its a single lane all the way but in very good condition. The road improves further once you cross over to Kerala at Bodimettu. After Bodinayankanur, took a deviation at Manthal. Its Ghat section all the way for next 70 KMS

Munnar to Thekkady - There are multiple routes, but I took the one suggested by my Homestay owner

Munnar - Munnar Bypass - Anachal/Kunchitanny Road - Nedumkandam - Puliyanmala - Anakkara - Thekkady.

The roads were in good condition except for near Kunchitanny and another area (I don't remember the name). Some of the views were stunning and its ghat all the 90 KMS with scenary changing from Tea plantation to Cardamom plantation and Forest areas.

Thekkay to Coimbatore - Since we decided to visit the Adiyogi in Coimbatore, we extended the trip by a day and decided to stay at Coimbatore.

Thekkady - Kumily - Gudalur - Cumbum - Theni - Batlagundu - Sempatty - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Palladam - Sulur - Coimbatore - Adiyogi Temple.

Though majority of the Road is undivided highway up to Oddanchatram, but its in good condition. You will pass through some villages and towns once you take deviation at Sempatthy. Traffic on this road really picks up once you near Palladam and the road between Sulur to Coimbatore is like driving on Bangalore - Marathahalli Ring Road.

Coimbatore to Bangalore - Took the usual route. A lot of update is available on this route so I am skipping the update on this route

Coimbatore - Bhavani - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Nice Road - Bannerghatta Road
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 10:53   #1326
BHPian

Did BLR Munnar via Dindigul-theni-Bodi and return. All good roads, some Notable items
1. Diversions around Karur for bridge construction
2. Dindigul to theni has frequent irritating barricades allowing single way traffic
3. TN police cops check for violation just around Bodi.
4. Bodimettu to munnar road is just too awesome, its like almost wider than 3 lane and one can easily maintain decent speeds.
Driving time was about 8.5 hrs.
thanks
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 05:51   #1327

Hello All,

Travelling to Munnar from Bangalore on Sunday 02nd April. Route seems to be in a good condition based on recent posts.

Choice of route: Bangalore to Munnar via Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu.
Travellers: 4 adults and a Labrador.
Vehicle: Honda City

Though I am aware of restaurants till Salem, not sure about the rest of the route.
Any advice on:
1. Availability of restaurants, breaks/good restroom facilities(especially for ladies) post Salem, will be super helpful to plan the journey.
2. Anything else, one should bear in mind

Thanks,

Sanjoy
Old 31st March 2023, 16:30   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoyraju View Post
Hello All,

Travelling to Munnar from Bangalore on Sunday 02nd April. Route seems to be in a good condition based on recent posts.

I travelled BLR (Whitefield) to Munnar 22 - 25 Mar with family and took the same route both sides. We stopped at A2B Dindigul Bypass and Toilet Facilities were clean. Food was typical A2B and we had Brunch. There were few options at Batlagundu for food, but I found this stop appropriate time wise as this is quite before commencing ascent (giving time for food to settle for weak stomachs ) Note this means you will keep going 1 KM further on the highway/bypass to reach and pause at A2B, and come back to take left for Batlagundu. So, no need to take bypass shoulder road for Batlagundu right turn, if you plan to take this stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/FbzLPf2NmMfCLdWm6

I also needed liquid food for my Alcazar so stopped at INDIAN OIL PETROL PUMP - ANN JOH PETROLEUM at Batlagundu (45 mins from A2B stop above). This pump had really clean restrooms as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/cZaUyvpfg2qmtQpm6

We started from Bangalore at 3.15 AM and reached our Resort (10 mins from Munnar) around 1:00 PM - this was after 15 mins Bio break at Salem (6:00 AM to 6:15 AM) -> at Dindigul A2B mentioned above (8.15 AM to 9.00 AM) -> at Ann Joh Pertol Pump (9:50 AM - 10:05 AM) and further had a coconut water break right after Bodimettu checkpost with a nice view down of the Anayirankal Dam.

Somewhere near this point - https://goo.gl/maps/J5c1Es8XWrnYTcze7

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_0508.jpg

Be prepared to be in the awe of nice twisty roads and heavenly mountains with carpet like tea fields all over after Lockhart gap. I stopped multiple times before reaching Munnar to soak in the beauty of the nature all around.

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_0521.jpg

Beware of two things -
1. The twisty speed breaker barriers throughout in TN at road crossings (especially when dark)
2. Police check-posts flagging cars for checking. We were perhaps ahead for that timewise as we started very early and were only stopped at KL check-post at Bodimettu (one glance inside car and were not bothered further). But on our way back, we saw oncoming cars being flagged down 2-3 places between Dindigul and Theni

Roads are good. I was mostly driving 80 - 90 ish till dark and till 100 after sunrise. Traffic was sparse till Dindigul stop and moderate after that till Theni.

Have a nice journey.

Tip: We enjoyed Speed boating at Munnar Boat Yard at Matupetty Lake and loved it.

https://goo.gl/maps/frfAywi55VMucZgz8

I will be writing a travelogue on my ownership thread soon - but hope above information is useful.

Last edited by Haldian : 31st March 2023 at 16:49.
Haldian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 20:51   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoyraju View Post
Hello All,

Vehicle: Honda City

Though I am aware of restaurants till Salem, not sure about the rest of the route.
Any advice on:
1. Availability of restaurants, breaks/good restroom facilities(especially for ladies) post Salem, will be super helpful to plan the journey.
2. Anything else, one should bear in mind

Thanks,

Sanjoy
There is a A2B after Salem at Rasipuram, then at Dindigul bypass towards Madurai as mentioned above. At the Bodhi peak, there is Chill berg resort, where you can stop over for food and washroom.
Suggest to fill-up the tank in the plains preferably at Dindigul or Theni.
Check with locals if the Theni bypass is open. It wasn't during my trip in Sep22.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2023, 22:22   #1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
I
Beware of two things -
1. The twisty speed breaker barriers throughout in TN at road crossings (especially when dark)
2. Police check-posts flagging cars for checking. We were perhaps ahead for that timewise as we started very early and were only stopped at KL check-post at Bodimettu (one glance inside car and were not bothered further). But on our way back, we saw oncoming cars being flagged down 2-3 places between Dindigul and Theni
Thanks Haldian!! Very helpful. Wondering why would police flag down private vehicles for checking. Any idea what are they checking for? Overloading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
There is a A2B after Salem at Rasipuram, then at Dindigul bypass towards Madurai as mentioned above. At the Bodhi peak, there is Chill berg resort, where you can stop over for food and washroom.
Suggest to fill-up the tank in the plains preferably at Dindigul or Theni.
Check with locals if the Theni bypass is open. It wasn't during my trip in Sep22.
Thanks sansvk for the information. Will fill up at Dindigul and check for Theni Bypass
Old 10th April 2023, 14:12   #1331
BHPian

I am planning to go to Munnar from Bangalore. However, I need to make a stopover at coimbatore. Any suggestions to Coimbatore to Munnar? I know this could be off topic, but I could not find recent threads via coimbatore.

Gmaps says: CBE -- Pollachi -- Arasur -- Kurichikotai -- Marayoor -- Munnar

Anyone knows how this route is? I am travelling in an SUV.
Old 12th April 2023, 09:38   #1332
BHPian

Hi, everyone - I just moved to Bangalore in the month of Feb and eager to explore the roads and destinations of South India. My wife & kid are not in town and so I have booked a trip to Munnar for 14-16 April for 3 days and 2 nights. I would be driving down in my G20 330i.

Anyone interested to join me for the trip? I am planning to leave early morning on 14-April and return by 16-April late evening. I have booked a room for myself in Devonshire Greens Munnar. Please DM me in case you are interested to join me for just for the drive or for the full program. Look forward.
Old 21st May 2023, 15:44   #1333

Thanks all the folks for wonderful information and photos here.
I have planned a short trip Bangalore-Munnar-Bangalore from 28th May to 31st May with my wife and 2 little ones (7 and 3). I will stay at Rivulet Resort Munnar. Is the route Blr-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodimettu-Munnar still good. What about Theni bypass - is it still closed?

Also, though I have a wonderfully running manual Honda city (2012) - (I love it), I am looking for a reliable, automatic rental due to left knee issues. Any suggestions on that would also be great. I will share my trip experience shortly after the trip.
Old 12th September 2023, 12:25   #1334
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

On the Theni-Bodi-Pooppara-Munnar route is there any restricted timings? It's been years since I drove that side and I'm probably confusing this route with the Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar route which probably has a forest gate closure between 9pm-6am or am I just hallucinating ?

Last edited by NPV : 12th September 2023 at 12:26.
Old 19th September 2023, 16:02   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the Theni-Bodi-Pooppara-Munnar route is there any restricted timings? It's been years since I drove that side and I'm probably confusing this route with the Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar route which probably has a forest gate closure between 9pm-6am or am I just hallucinating ?
Both the routes does not have a time restriction and gate closure. Udumal Marayoor stretch is known for elephant trouble during night, it is advisable to avoid night travel on both the routes.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed