Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 13:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Better route of all is Perunthurai-Chennimalai-Gangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet.
Not only is it short and simple but also has the best roads. You do not have to battle the urban sprawl of Tiruppur town or worry about the road widening work in NH47 since you turn off NH47 at Perunthurai itself instead of Avinashi.

Last edited by hvkumar : 13th July 2009 at 13:36.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Can any one give a comparison between Perundurai -> Vijayamangalam ->Tirupur -> Palladam -> Udumalpet route VS Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet. I have taken Tirupur route many times and had found all good except for the time lost in Tirupur (thorugh ring road) but had never tried through Dharapuram.
I've done Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet route last year, and the roads are excellent and traffic not much. Speeds upto 100kmph can easily be obtained! Not sure about the other one through Tirupur, but definitely will have more traffic as compared to this one.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

I've done via dharapuram twice this year. Good roads and less traffic.
Via Tirupur i have done in 2007. the town traffic was too bad and hence decided Dharapuram for the next travel onwards.

Roads are pretty good in both. But perundurai to Avinashi on NH47 can be avoided as hvkumar said.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Many Thanks for all the posts. Would love to try them out soon.

Some info after going through above suggestions

1. You don't have to go to Avinashi to take Tirupur road. Take the left turn at Vijaymangalam (small place with few shops and is exactly 10 kms from Perundurai)

2. Tirupur town has got a bypass or it is more like a ring road around the town, it is not that great but better than crossing the town. Take notice there are no pointers and there are numerous crossings where you need to ask for direction
Old 12th August 2009, 18:33   #50
BHPian

I am planning a Bangalore - Munnar - Thekkady - Bangalore during September first week. I will be doing this road trip in my Swift D. After going through the numerous posts on TBHP I have chalked out this route.

Please help me answer the following queries:
  • Is the following route the best for Bangalore - Munnar - Thekkady - Bangalore and also the estimated travel time correct?
Bangalore to Munnar (475kms / 9hrs):Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur (Exit NH7 and turn Right) – Mettur – Bhavani (Join NH47) – (Exit NH47) Perundurai – Chennimalai – Kangayam – Dharapuram – Udumalaipettai – Marayoor – Munnar

Munnar to Thekkady (110kms / 3hrs): Munnar – Devikulam – Thekkady

Thekkady to Bangalore (509kms / 10hrs):Thekkady – Kumili – Kambam – Theni – Periyakulam – Vathalagundu – Sembatti – Ottanchatram – Dharapuram – Kangayam – Chennimalai – Perundurai (Join NH47) – Bhavani (Exit NH47) – Mettur – Thoppur (Turn left and join NH7) – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore
  • I might extend my road trip to Kochin also. If I do is the following route the best and also the estimated travel time correct?
Thekkady to Kochi (167kms / 4hrs): Thekkady – Kanjirappally – Kottayam – Kumarakom – Kochi

Kochi to Bangalore (535kms / 10hrs):Kochi – Aluva – Thrissur – Palakkad – Coimbatore – Avanashi – Perundurai – Bhavani (Exit NH47) – Mettur – Thoppur (Join NH7) – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore
  • I have travelled from Dharapuram to Bangalore (Bangalore - Kodaikanal Road Trip) last month and the road conditions were good. I dont have much clue about road conditions between Dharapuram to Munnar and Dharapuram to Thekkady. Any pointers on this please?
  • Anybody who has experienced Bamboo Rafting at Periyar National Park? I am planning this day long program at Periyar NP.
Please help me with the above questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 12th August 2009, 21:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Routing is excellent, except for one suggestion for return journey. Why not return on NH7 via Dindigul which means from Sembatti you can go on to Dindigul (where you join NH7) and go via Karur, Namakkal, Salem to Bangalore.

Normally, road from Dharapuram to Munnar via Udumalaipet is good. Post-rains, the Munnar-Thekkady road sometimes becomes rough, but from there the road is good to Dharapuram.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:12   #52
BHPian

Thank you HVK. I will definitely look at the option of coming back to Bangalore via Dindigul. It might also bring my travel town down as I will be travelling on NH rather than SH.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Thekkady to Kochi (167kms / 4hrs): Thekkady – Kanjirappally – Kottayam – Kumarakom – Kochi
You may skip Kottayam and take Thekkady-Kanjirappally-Palai-Kaduthuruthy-Thalayolaparambu-Tripunithura-Kochi (Vyttila/NH47)

Last edited by coolclouds : 14th August 2009 at 15:11.
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:52   #54
BHPian

Hi Consider this route. Road is good though it is 2 lane road till mettur traffic is less and you can reach coimbatore in 5 hours(did this route 2 months back in swiftD)

Bangalore-Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Papparapatti-Pennagaram-Mechari-- Mettur-Ammapettai-Andiyur-Athani-Gobi-Nambiyur-Puliyampatti-Annur- Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalpet-chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar-Thekkady

You can consider this valaparai too however its up to you

route is same as mentioned above till pollachi and then you need to take diversion towards azhiyar dam ->amazing ghat section with 37 hairpin bends , road is good till valparai (40kms- 50 kms of ghats) then from there 80kms is athirampallli falls(road is not good,no human habitat, thick forest,amazing views and spots enroute)

Hope this might help you
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
then from there 80kms is athirampallli falls(road is not good,no human habitat, thick forest,amazing views and spots enroute)
You missed out one thing. NO MOBILE SIGNALS at least for 70 of the 80kms.
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:16   #56
BHPian

yes trrk

You are right . but its amazing fun . Last time when i did that route on my honda city tires were in very bad condition , threads were visible from the tyre but spirits kept me high did it without problem.
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Hi dreamdiesel, the marayur munnar road was good when I did in June 09
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi dreamdiesel, the marayur munnar road was good when I did in June 09
Thanks for the update laluks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Hi Consider this route. Road is good though it is 2 lane road till mettur traffic is less and you can reach coimbatore in 5 hours(did this route 2 months back in swiftD)

Bangalore-Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Papparapatti-Pennagaram-Mechari-- Mettur-Ammapettai-Andiyur-Athani-Gobi-Nambiyur-Puliyampatti-Annur- Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalpet-chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar-Thekkady

You can consider this valaparai too however its up to you

route is same as mentioned above till pollachi and then you need to take diversion towards azhiyar dam ->amazing ghat section with 37 hairpin bends , road is good till valparai (40kms- 50 kms of ghats) then from there 80kms is athirampallli falls(road is not good,no human habitat, thick forest,amazing views and spots enroute)

Hope this might help you
Thanks for the update buvan. I dont want to spend much time travelling as I will starting from Bangalore only by morning 9AM for some reason and want to reach Munnar before it gets dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
You may skip Kottayam and take Thekkady-Kanjirappally-Palai-Kaduthuruthy-Thalayolaparambu-Tripunithura-Kochi (Vyttila/NH47)
Thanks coolclouds. Will definitely look at that option..
Old 1st July 2010, 16:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for bumping an old thread!

I'm deciding between these routes :-

1. Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Thoppur (Divert towards Kumarapalayam) - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipettai - Munnar

2. Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar

3. Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Avinashi - Palladam - Udumalaipettai - Munnar

Any inputs? I leave tomorrow morning 4AM.

Last edited by praful : 1st July 2010 at 16:20.
Old 1st July 2010, 16:40   #60
BHPian

Option 2 is what I would choose - good roads for a majority of the overall distance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks