Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:21   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But roads are narrow and in monsoon may not be in good conditions as well.
I dint find much difference in width between both routes, having done back to back (onward and return), except for one section near Chinnakanal where there is lot of fog and there is a short uphill stretch where downhill bound vehicles don't give way.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:05   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I dint find much difference in width between both routes, having done back to back (onward and return), except for one section near Chinnakanal where there is lot of fog and there is a short uphill stretch where downhill bound vehicles don't give way.
That section during monsoons becomes very risky. Hence the comment.
I was once stranded on that very spot at 7PM in a Dec mist. It was very scarry.

And I think last year I heard landslides on that stretch.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:09   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Afaik Perundurai has only a Hotel Chennis.HOTEL CHENNIS, PERUNDURAI HOTEL, NEAR ERODE, OPP TO SIPCOT .There are no other hotels apart from that.This is on the NH47 bypass in the SIPCOT area.
In case rooms are not available at Chennis, pls check

Hotel Rithanns
17/99, Four Road,
Karumathampatti, Coimbatore-641659.
Phone: 0421 2333342, 2333362
Hotel Rithanns

Its about 50 kms from Perundurai towards Coimbatore and will take another 40 mins.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:06   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That section during monsoons becomes very risky.
It was scary to reverse downhill the very stretch in summer (May 1-3 last year), let alone monsoon. Apart from that 2-3 km section, rest isn't that bad. The region gets 'trigger happy' rains all through the year.

Access to Munnar is much better in terms of landslides, the Top Station encounters much more, courtesy of extensive deforestation :(
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:21   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
In case rooms are not available at Chennis, pls check

Hotel Rithanns
17/99, Four Road,
Karumathampatti, Coimbatore-641659.
Phone: 0421 2333342, 2333362
Hotel Rithanns

Have you stayed here? Any feedback. Is it on NH 47? How to locate it?
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:28   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Have you stayed here? Any feedback. Is it on NH 47? How to locate it?
Yes, its on NH itself and on your right while coming from Salem. Please find a snap. I never stayed at this hotel but as per their website, it should be OK for a night.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-rit.jpg  

coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 09:02   #472
BHPian

Am planning to visit munnar this week-end i want to take the following route please advise

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-tiruppur-Palladam-udumalaipettai-Marayur-Munnar.

My expected start would be around 5-00Am from Hosa road(ecity), we are 5 people with a kid.

please suggest me some good restaurants for lunch, am expecting that we would be around udumalaipettai for lunch.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:56   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-tiruppur-Palladam-udumalaipettai-Marayur-Munnar.
Instead of Perundurai-tiruppur-Palladam-udumalaipettai try Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai.

Its possible that you may get delayed in Tirrupur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 11:33   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Am planning to visit munnar this week-end i want to take the following route please advise

My expected start would be around 5-00Am from Hosa road(ecity), we are 5 people with a kid.

please suggest me some good restaurants for lunch, am expecting that we would be around udumalaipettai for lunch.
As suggested by others, I took the same route till Perundurai and Kangayem-Dharapuram-Udumalpet after that, just last thursday. Roads are good. Met a traffic jam in Dharapuram, which had a very narrow road passing through a city market. Bad road with large potholes through the Chinnar sanctuary, but its manageable. OK roads after the sanctuary. Ghat roads on this route are wide enough, without many sharp bends and nice view. I face very light traffic on this route.

5 AM start from Ecity should be fine. I had started from Sarjapur road crossing at 4:45 in the morning on a weekday. Took me 11.5 hours with breakfast/lunch and other breaks included, mainly because I did't do speeds over 90 on my 122K done 10 year old santro.

Had breakfast at A2B before Thoppur around 7:30. Its on the other side of the road while going towards Salem. Was OK. I think it can be spotted easily.

I had read in this thread that Balaji Mess and Janakiram are OK places for lunch in Udumalpet. Couldn't find them, so had lunch at Nalarams near Udumalpet bus stand. Won't suggest that place. I had reached Udumalpet by 12. There is a slight diversion as you exit Udumalpet because of a flyover construction. Local people can guide you.

I had done my hotel booking though an online travel portal about 10 days before the travel, in Le Celestium. Its an OK kind of hotel near the Munnar town. Service was not at all good. Maybe because of tourist rush. But being close to the town center was an advantage as road to top station and national park were not very far, unlike resorts in Chinnakanal, which are very far from Munnar.

I had returned through the Munnar-Pooppara-Bodi-Theni-Dindigul-Karur-Namakkal-Salem-Bangalore route and it was longer than the other side. Ghat roads on this side are narrow at places, Theni-Dindigul is undergoing widening. Take this route if you can really make up for the increased distance on the highway with speed. Also take into account that you will face traffic at toll booths if returning on Sunday evening.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:44   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Perundurai-tiruppur-Palladam-udumalaipettai
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
As suggested by others, I took the same route till Perundurai and Kangayem-Dharapuram-Udumalpet after that, just last thursday. Roads are good. Met a traffic jam in Dharapuram, which had a very narrow road passing through a city market.
If Dharapuram is also traffic prone, one can also try Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Udumalpettai.

However I dont know the current route status of Palladam-Udumalpet section.
But I think it should be good and you dont get stuck in any town.
Old 30th May 2012, 23:45   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Met a traffic jam in Dharapuram, which had a very narrow road passing through a city market.
Dharapuram actually has a bye-pass which will put you directly onto Udumalpet road without having to enter town. Coming from Kangeyam, you'll first merge to the road from Coimbatore by turning left. Then, it is the first turn to the right after you cross the bridge.

Quote:
I had read in this thread that Balaji Mess and Janakiram are OK places for lunch in Udumalpet. Couldn't find them, so had lunch at Nalarams near Udumalpet bus stand. Won't suggest that place.
It is actually Gandhirams which is also opposite bus stand. If you like non-veg, then Sun hotels is good. This is on Munnar road.

Quote:
If Dharapuram is also traffic prone, one can also try Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Udumalpettai.

However I dont know the current route status of Palladam-Udumalpet section.
But I think it should be good and you dont get stuck in any town.
Palladam-Udumalpet is also good with very less traffic. But Kangeyam-Palladam has some traffic as it falls on the Trichy-Coimbatore route as compared to Kangeyam-Dharapuram which is a breeze.
Old 16th June 2012, 16:45   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
I just completed my Munnar trip to Club Mahindra and took the Udumalaipet route to reach Munnar. The road quality through the forest is really bad with potholes for at least a good 15-18 kms. Additionally, there are about 4 forest check points where you have to get down from your car and register the car details with the officers. That would surely add more time to your journey.

After reaching Club Mahindra, the tourist guide suggested the Theni route as the road condition is better and it reaches Chinnakanal without having to go through Munnar town.

Taking the Udumalpet route on the way back would be good idea and if you happen to cross it post 4 pm, there is a strong possibility of spotting some wild life in the forest.
A little off topic here but Naks can you please post pictures of your opulent purple XUV on the XUV official review thread and start your own ownership thread please if possible. as hardly any member owns a Opulent Purple shade of XUV on the forum and there are hardly any pictures of this shade of XUV. so it would be good for potential buyers to get a clear look of how this color looks on XUV. thanks.
Old 20th June 2012, 02:30   #478
NAK

Yes absolutely I will. Have been really busy for the last one month due to US travel but will definitely start an ownership thread.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:57   #479
Senior - BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore Munnar through Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet - Marayoor - Munnar early next month. I have not taken this route for last 1 year and would like to know the recent condition on the road exp in the forest stretch. I will be driving a sedan with not so great ground clearanance. Thanks in advance
Old 10th July 2012, 17:59   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Planning to do Bangalore Munnar through Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Udumalaipet - Marayoor - Munnar early next month. I have not taken this route for last 1 year and would like to know the recent condition on the road exp in the forest stretch. I will be driving a sedan with not so great ground clearanance. Thanks in advance
I guess this section will never go bad (Am I over expecting of Indian roads? )
The only thing to note would be the road condition from udumalpet to Munnar because of Monsoon.

The Theni route also is now a bit frustrating due to diversions on the Dindigul-Theni road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks