Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Raipur - need advice with trip planning

The journey from Bhilai, Chhattisgarh to Durgapur, West Bengal and back to home has been completed on 31/10/2012.

My sincere thanks to Samarjit Dhar, Sutriptada, Scuderiamania and Shabbir for your valuable inputs, which has indeed helped me to perform the journey safely.

The details are posted in my ownership thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...d-emotion.html
Old 7th February 2013, 11:53   #32
BHPian

Hello Folks
Planning to go to Durg/Raipur from jamshedpur tomm. Need help regarding route.
Should I take Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokaria->Jashipur->Kendujhar->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg, Or
Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokharia->Baripada->Baleshwar->Bhadrak->Cuttack->Angul->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg

Will leave Jamshedpur by 11AM. Will take break in between ( night stay, planning to halt in Sambalpur).
Travelling with family. So will need hotels/breaks in between. Looking for your advise.

thanks
Yogesh

Last edited by yogesh.janghel : 7th February 2013 at 11:54.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.janghel View Post
Hello Folks
Should I take Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokaria->Jashipur->Kendujhar->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg, Or
Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokharia->Baripada->Baleshwar->Bhadrak->Cuttack->Angul->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg

Will leave Jamshedpur by 11AM. Will take break in between ( night stay, planning to halt in Sambalpur).
Travelling with family. So will need hotels/breaks in between. Looking for your advise.

thanks
Yogesh
Given that the stretch from Jamshedpur to Baharagora on NH33 is known to be terribly broken and then most of NH6 from Baharagora till Kendujhar also broken in places the first option looks very painful. The second option reduces the pain somewhat because after Baharagora roads will be good on NH6-NH60-NH5 but it increases the journey duration by a lot. Have you considered Jamshedpur-Gobindpur-Chaibasa-Kendujhar-Sambalpur? On paper it looks much shorter and doable. I confess I have no idea about the condition of this route but Kendujhar-Sambalpur on NH6 should be better as it lies in Odisha. You can inquire locally at Jamshedpur from the bus drivers about the route till Chaibasa because there are a lot of buses that travel on that route.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Given that the stretch from Jamshedpur to Baharagora on NH33 is known to be terribly broken and then most of NH6 from Baharagora till Kendujhar also broken in places the first option looks very painful. The second option reduces the pain somewhat because after Baharagora roads will be good on NH6-NH60-NH5 but it increases the journey duration by a lot. Have you considered Jamshedpur-Gobindpur-Chaibasa-Kendujhar-Sambalpur? On paper it looks much shorter and doable. I confess I have no idea about the condition of this route but Kendujhar-Sambalpur on NH6 should be better as it lies in Odisha. You can inquire locally at Jamshedpur from the bus drivers about the route till Chaibasa because there are a lot of buses that travel on that route.
Thanks samarjitdhar.Jamshedpur-Gobindpur-Chaibasa : this was always bad.
Old 7th February 2013, 19:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Oh crud. Looks like you will have to choose the lesser poison here. What kind of vehicle do you have? If you are doing this route in an SUV then you might get away though even SUV owners dread the Baharagora stretch. Seems all roads in Jharkhand are in a perpetually broken state .
Old 7th February 2013, 19:31   #36
BHPian

[quote=yogesh.janghel;3035380]Hello Folks

Will leave Jamshedpur by 11AM. Will take breaks in between ( night stay, planning to halt in Sambalpur).

Thanks
Yogesh.*/QUOTE]

I will suggest the 2nd option.

This route is good. You will find good road from Balasore to sambalpur. That is around 500 Km (check google map for correct distance). Balasore to Manguli Squre (Where you take right direction to Sambalpur) is complete four lane road.

Sambalpur to Bargarah...the 4 lane road work is going on. You may find many diversions. Be careful on that stretch.
Old 8th February 2013, 01:28   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Should I take Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokaria->Jashipur->Kendujhar->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg,
If you can bear the pain of driving between Jamshedpur and Jharpokharia, please rest assured that you have crossed all major hurdles. Barring one or two small and infrequent potholes, the road is now good all the way, at least up to Sambalpur. And as you are travelling with family, please enjoy the scenic beauties of Kanjipani Ghat section, which will come after crossing Keonjhar town. If possible, stop for ten minutes to enjoy the beauties of Sun-Ghagra waterfall, which stands right on your way.
Quote:
Or Jamshedpur->Baharagora->Jharpokharia->Baripada->Baleshwar->Bhadrak->Cuttack->Angul->Sambalpur->Raipur->Durg
Why should you take all this detour? You can not skip Jamshedpur-Bahragora-Jharpokharia stretch, can you?
Old 8th February 2013, 09:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Barring one or two small and infrequent potholes, the road is now good all the way, at least up to Sambalpur. And as you are travelling with family, please enjoy the scenic beauties of Kanjipani Ghat section, which will come after crossing Keonjhar town. If possible, stop for ten minutes to enjoy the beauties of Sun-Ghagra waterfall, which stands right on your way.

Why should you take all this detour? You can not skip Jamshedpur-Bahragora-Jharpokharia stretch, can you?
@Rahul4640 : Are you sure that the NH6 from Baharagora-Keonjhar-Sambalpur is in good condition now.

I did a trip from Bhilai/Durg to Mahishadal on 24-27th. January, 2013 and I had the information that the road is not in very good condition. I had to do Sambalpur-NH42 (Manguli)-NH5-NH60 to Kharagpur.

@Yogesh : You can find the details in my thread.
Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...emotion-3.html
In case you intend to stop over at Sambalpur, I would suggest you stay at Hotel Ganapati at Bargarh. It is 50Km from Sambalpur and the hotel is right on the NH6 on the left hand side.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
@Rahul4640 : Are you sure that the NH6 from Baharagora-Keonjhar-Sambalpur is in good condition now.
No. But I am sure that Jharpokharia-Keonjhar-Sambalpur is in good condition. But Baharagora-Jharpokharia section is something I am always afraid to drive.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 8th February 2013 at 10:27.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. But I am sure that Jharpokharia-Keonjhar-Sambalpur is in good condition. But Baharagora-Jharpokharia section is something I am always afraid to drive.
@Rahul4640 : The distance between Baharagora to Jharpokaria is only 16/18 KM. If this is the only bad section in NH6 then it should be manageable. I did the journey from Bhilai to Kolkata in October,2012 during the Durga Puja and again from Bhilai to Mahishadal in January 2013 and both times I got the information that the road cannot be done in a sedan.

On both occasions I had to take NH42-NH5-NH60 from Sambalpur to Kharagpur (by-pass) and the distance is almost 120KM extra.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
@Rahul4640 : The distance between Baharagora to Jharpokaria is only 16/18 KM. If this is the only bad section in NH6 then it should be manageable. I did the journey from Bhilai to Kolkata in October,2012 during the Durga Puja and again from Bhilai to Mahishadal in January 2013 and both times I got the information that the road cannot be done in a sedan.
Please rest assured that the roads are good once you drive through. The road is reasonably good in the state of Orissa. But please pray to God before you cover this stretch. It is really a road which deserves a tractor to negotiate and not a sedan. When I took this section for the last time, the last portion of the exhaust including the silencer box (if it is called so), along with the rear suspension (it was already weak) had to be replaced. They costed me almost over eight thousand rupees, IIRC.

Wish you an incident free journey.
Old 8th February 2013, 19:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:

On both occasions I had to take NH42-NH5-NH60 from Sambalpur to Kharagpur (by-pass) and the distance is almost 120KM extra.
Quote:
Please rest assured that the roads are good once you drive through. The road is reasonably good in the state of Orissa. But please pray to God before you cover this stretch. It is really a road which deserves a tractor to negotiate and not a sedan. When I took this section for the last time, the last portion of the exhaust including the silencer box (if it is called so), along with the rear suspension (it was already weak) had to be replaced. They costed me almost over eight thousand rupees, IIRC.

Wish you an incident free journey.
Rahul da. That is the reason I had suggested not to go by this route because that stretch between Jharpokhria to Bahargora is known to have broken sedans (including yours ), since its a Fiat Linea that was being driven. I guess you had mentioned a small detour for Jharpokhria and Baharagora. And yes I guess at this border junction the Odisha cops are also known to extort money in the name of road tax. They only spare the WB and JH registered cars from this corruption.

Quote:
Agreed. If one has done Jamshedpur-Baharagora stretch, the Jharpokhria stretch is just extended credits on the DVD . Basically at Baharagora one would know if the car can go any further. If yes, they can cross Jharpokhria by all means and continue on NH6.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 8th February 2013 at 19:11.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
I guess you had mentioned a small detour for Jharpokhria and Baharagora.
Yes Samarjit, there is a detour available. And I had even seen local cars using it. But that detour is available only when you are moving west from West Bengal (Kharagpur) side, although I was not aware of it when I covered this section the last time. Actually I was not even aware of the condition of the road (NH 6) ahead. Please see in Google map that Jamshola (OR-JH) border is only five hundred meters away from Hatibari village (which is in West Bengal). And in order to avoid the bad roads of Jharkhand, you have to avoid the state of Jharkhand and stick to West Bengal roads (using Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur Road). Jharpokharia is only eight KMs away from there (the road lies in the state of Orissa), which may be managed with a sedan. After crossing Bombay Chowk in Jharpokharia the road is good.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 9th February 2013 at 12:50.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 17:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Samarjit, there is a detour available. And I had even seen local cars using it. But that detour is available only when you are moving west from West Bengal (Kharagpur) side, although I was not aware of it when I covered this section the last time. Actually I was not even aware of the condition of the road (NH 6) ahead. Please see in Google map that Jamshola (OR-JH) border is only five hundred meters away from Hatibari village (which is in West Bengal). And in order to avoid the bad roads of Jharkhand, you have to avoid the state of Jharkhand and stick to West Bengal roads (using Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur Road). Jharpokharia is only eight KMs away from there (the road lies in the state of Orissa), which may be managed with a sedan. After crossing Bombay Chowk in Jharpokharia the road is good.
Rahul da do you mean to this route http://goo.gl/maps/LX3pC? It seems to avoid Jharkhand totally by going towards Gopiballabhpur and then bypassing Baharagora completely entering Odisha joining NH6 going towards Jhapokhria. Do you mean to say that this entire stretch of detour is good enough to continue using NH6 for the rest of the journey towards Sambalpur? What about the 10 kms odd roads till Jharpokhria after using this detour? Also would it be a good idea to continue till Baripada from Gopiballabhpur and then reaching Jharpokhria? Now you are tempting me to do a proper east-west road trip .
Old 11th February 2013, 18:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Yogesh

You might want to have a look at this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3038356 and this route http://goo.gl/maps/H39Ab. It seems somebody took this route recently and found it decent enough though a bit narrow and with speed breakers. This might save you a lot of time.

Regards

PS: Just noticed that you might have already traveled to Raipur/Durg. Do update on which route you took and the route conditions.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 11th February 2013 at 18:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks