Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Raipur - need advice with trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Anytime you say, Sir. It will always be my pleasure to accompany a veteran like you. I must admit that it is only from your postings in this forum that I first came across the names of these remote places.
The mantle of travelling along a road not because it leads to someplace but because it is there (the journey is the goal) has now fallen on people like you! My aimless travelling (= footloose fancyfree) days are essentially over. I'll relive my youth vicariously through people like you!

I thought you were planning to go there again soon.

Quote:
The road is still excellent, More importantly, it now runs entirely parallel to the Kaniha (NTPC)-Mahanadi Coalfield coal carrying railway line. This is a private railway line of NTPPC.
This confuses me. NTPCs MGR was to a Mahanadi Coalfields Colliery (I think Lingaraj mines, might be mistaken) near Talcher. Not along the Rengali alignment. Have they put in another line, or have I totally lost it!?

Quote:
But for your personal pleasure, this is the Samal barrage from a distance, taken possibly 300 meters off the road (slightly cropped).
There used to be a rusting hulk of a Tata -PH crane next to the dam. Still there? Was told that that is common practice: machinery like this is factored into the project cost, and once the project is over, on the books it is shown to be there for maintenance purposes, but is essentially abandoned.

There used to be a small fee for crossing Samal Barrage.

BTW, have you ever accessed NH42 from Cuttack crossing the barrages rather than from Chowduar?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 23rd November 2013 at 20:43.
Old 24th November 2013, 00:35   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
This confuses me. NTPCs MGR was to a Mahanadi Coalfields Colliery (I think Lingaraj mines, might be mistaken) near Talcher. Not along the Rengali alignment. Have they put in another line, or have I totally lost it!?
No. Your memory is still vivid. The coal surely comes from Lingaraj mines of the Mahanadi Coalfields Colliery. What I wished to say that whenever you take a left turn from the Pal Lahara bound road, going towards Kaniha plant of NTPC (coming from Talcher side), the MGR lines starts running parallel to this road, on your right hand side. But it only goes up to Kaniha plant.

Quote:
There used to be a rusting hulk of a Tata -PH crane next to the dam. Still there? Was told that that is common practice: machinery like this is factored into the project cost, and once the project is over, on the books it is shown to be there for maintenance purposes, but is essentially abandoned.
Can not remember Sir. I barely stopped there for five minutes at Rengali dam, stopping there to pay toll.
Quote:
There used to be a small fee for crossing Samal Barrage.
Yes, tolls are still collected at Samal barrage. But it is for heavy vehicles only. Small private vehicles are exempted and not charged.
Quote:
BTW, have you ever accessed NH42 from Cuttack crossing the barrages rather than from Chowduar?
I reached a place called Manguli on NH-5, very closed to Chowdwar. That is the place where NH-42 originates.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 20:51   #78

Raipur to Kolkata - travel queries

Friends,
I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Kolkata via central India (and return via the GQ). On Day 1, my plan is to go via Hyderabad, and night stay at Nirmal, a town in Telengana close to NH7. On Day 2, start early from Nirmal, and reach Nagpur.

My question is for this stretch - from Nagpur onwards. Looking forward to advice from the experts.

Day 2:
Will reach Nagpur around noon (coming from Nirmal), and resume journey around 1:00pm. Queries:
  • Reaching Raipur by 6:30pm --> Does this sound feasible? This stretch is four-lane, right? ~300km should be possible in 5 hour, with one break, perhaps at Rajnandgaon?
  • Any suggestion on hotel in Raipur - preferably close to NH6 so that moving in and out of the city won't take long?

Day 3:
Start by 6:30 or 7:00am, Arang-Saraipalli-Sambalpur via NH6, then take NH42 and go via Cuttack/Bhadrak. Queries:
  • Road condition seems to be bad after Arang, esp. Arang-Saraipalli stretch (120km), but manageable - no need to bypass NH6 and go via Nuapada. Is this right? Opinion seems to be divided in the forum, I have a slight bias towards sticking to the NH even if it take a little longer, but if road condition is really bad, can reconsider.
  • Raipur to Sambalpur is 277km, but advice is to budget 6-7 hours. So will be reaching Sambalpur by 2:00pm, and resuming around 3:00pm... what would be a reasonable place for night halt? I guess we can't make it to Cuttack (another 280km/5hr), will it be better to stay at Sambalpur then? Would appreciate a suggestion for a hotel also in the suggested place.

Day 4:
Have to make it to Kolkata on day 4. Depending upon where day 3 ends, this is going to be between 500 and 700km.
  • One advice has been to go via NH42 and then the GQ - longer than NH6, but much better.
  • Also, suggestion has been to take the route via Jaleswar town at the OR-WB border, to avoid traffic
  • --> Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Apologies for asking too many questions together - wanted to avoid multiple posts.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th July 2015, 11:32   #79
BHPian

Re: Raipur to Kolkata - travel queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhirup View Post
Day 3:
Start by 6:30 or 7:00am, Arang-Saraipalli-Sambalpur via NH6, then take NH42 and go via Cuttack/Bhadrak. Queries:
  • Road condition seems to be bad after Arang, esp. Arang-Saraipalli stretch (120km), but manageable - no need to bypass NH6 and go via Nuapada. Is this right? Opinion seems to be divided in the forum, I have a slight bias towards sticking to the NH even if it take a little longer, but if road condition is really bad, can reconsider.
  • Raipur to Sambalpur is 277km, but advice is to budget 6-7 hours. So will be reaching Sambalpur by 2:00pm, and resuming around 3:00pm... what would be a reasonable place for night halt? I guess we can't make it to Cuttack (another 280km/5hr), will it be better to stay at Sambalpur then? Would appreciate a suggestion for a hotel also in the suggested place.
There is no good hotel between Sambalpore and Cuttack. But in case you really wish to stay, there are a number of hotels in Angul town. Though they are nothing fancy and most of them only provide basic amenities, they are located right on the highway (located very close to the bus stand). I remember that this hotel has a secured parking facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhirup View Post
Day 4:
Have to make it to Kolkata on day 4. Depending upon where day 3 ends, this is going to be between 500 and 700km.
  • One advice has been to go via NH42 and then the GQ - longer than NH6, but much better.
  • Also, suggestion has been to take the route via Jaleswar town at the OR-WB border, to avoid traffic
  • --> Any other thoughts/suggestions?
No need to go through Jaleswar town. The trucks are now shifted to a separate parking bay and you may use the main highway.
Old 29th March 2016, 12:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mantle of travelling along a road not because it leads to someplace but because it is there (the journey is the goal) has now fallen on people like you! My aimless travelling (= footloose fancyfree) days are essentially over. I'll relive my youth vicariously through people like you!
Quote:
I reached a place called Manguli on NH-5, very closed to Chowdwar. That is the place where NH-42 originates.
Planning a Kolkata trip in April, with family. So asking the same question again :
Is it advisable to travel through NH6 till Kolkata? Or is it still advisable to travel via NH42?

The last time I traveled in this route (July 2015) I saw construction going on between Sambalpur and Keonjhar. I have last travelled in this route in the year 2000 and would love to do it again if it does not pose a threat to my car.

Rahulda and Sutriptada your suggestions please.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:01   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Planning a Kolkata trip in April, with family. So asking the same question again : Is it advisable to travel through NH6 till Kolkata? Or is it still advisable to travel via NH42? Rahulda and Sutriptada your suggestions please.
Though I do not know the exact road condition of NH-6, I know that east of Bahragora the road is much better than what it used to be. The road is also good in Orissa. Not sure about the stretch near Jamsola. But in case you find the road condition pathetic, you may always take the Hatibari-Gopiballabpur road and come out bypassing Chichra border at Fekoghat.
Old 30th March 2016, 11:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But in case you find the road condition pathetic, you may always take the Hatibari-Gopiballabpur road and come out bypassing Chichra border at Fekoghat.
Thanks Rahulda for your prompt response.

Is this the route that you mean.

Kolkata to Raipur - need advice with trip planning-nh6.jpg

Would crossing through Kharagpur city be any problem and is there any way to avoid the city traffic.
Old 30th March 2016, 12:38   #83
BHPian

[quote=Sommos;3942150]
Is this the route that you mean.
Attachment 1492048
Yes. But please ask the locals about the road condition ahead before you go for a diversion. That is because someone once told me that there was a regular biweekly open market which used to takes place on that road. In that such a case happening, it would surely slow you down.

Quote:
Would crossing through Kharagpur city be any problem and is there any way to avoid the city traffic.
I am reasonably sure that there will not be much of a problem, though the traffic will be slow. Keep an eye for the local rickshaws and tricycle vans and drive safe.
Please post your experience after completion of your trip.
Old 1st April 2016, 21:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a Kolkata trip in April, with family. So asking the same question again :
Is it advisable to travel through NH6 till Kolkata? Or is it still advisable to travel via NH42?

The last time I traveled in this route (July 2015) I saw construction going on between Sambalpur and Keonjhar. I have last travelled in this route in the year 2000 and would love to do it again if it does not pose a threat to my car.

Rahulda and Sutriptada your suggestions please.
Hi,
Don't know of current condition of NH6 (Sambalpur to Jharkoporia). But if NH6 has been properly repaired, it would anyday be my choice over NH42.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Don't know of current condition of NH6 (Sambalpur to Jharkoporia). But if NH6 has been properly repaired, it would anyday be my choice over NH42.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Sutriptada.
I think I will take the risk this time.
Will certainly give a feedback after return.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:10   #86
BHPian

Below is based on 2 traversal since Jan 2016.

Sohela to Sambalpur
Excellent 4 lane toll way. Sambalpur is bypassed but in a confused manner. Ask for direction if in doubt. About 16 km before Sambalpur (around Hirakud Rail Station) you have good eating options. 2 dhaba on left and one resort on right. After this you have basically nothing worthwhile till Keonjhar.

Sambalpur to Deogarh
Traditional 2 lane highway but well paved. Gets curvy so watch out your speed. Approx 15km to Deogarh you will get random potholes and rutted surface which will test your patience.

Deogarh to Keonjhar
Excellent to good 2 lane highway. Includes about 40km of Ghat section just before Keonjhar. There are several eating options in Keonjhar. I prefer a sardar owned restaurant called RAJ that come up right after you clear the town but before you get on to the railway over bridge.

Keonjhar to Jashipur
Excellent to Good 2 lane marred by sudden appearance of speed breakers. But you can really speed up in some stretches due to sparse traffic.

The below is based on travel in Dec 2015
Jashipur to Bangriposi
Good to fair. Between Jashipur to Bangriposi Ghat some surface damage. Ghat itself is a fast drive. Last time I travel I forked out at Bangriposi towards Baripada and onward to southern India. Since you would be continuing towards Jamsola I don't think the road would be bad either.

Between Sambalpur to Jamsola you should budget about 8 hours. Since it is overall in good condition you may consider this route,
drive_factor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:18   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sutriptada.
I think I will take the risk this time.
Will certainly give a feedback after return.
Do find out about the state of the road KGP - Jharkoporia. Esp. the part in Jharkhand.

If you have the time and inclination, drive through Simlipal. (Assuming your car has sufficient ground clearance.)

If possible, geotagged pictures, and GPS trackplot.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th May 2016, 13:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If possible, geotagged pictures, and GPS trackplot.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
Please post your experience after completion of your trip.
Completed the journey in the last week of April.
The road condition is good to excellent at present and it is far better than the present NH42, as I have travelled both routes.

Thoroughly enjoyed the drive on NH6 including the ghat sections. I avoided Baharagora and took the hati-gopi road.

I have geotagged pictures in my iPad but don't know how to share them here.

Details of the journey with pics is posted here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3965713
Sommos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 12:11   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Thoroughly enjoyed the drive on NH6 including the ghat sections. I avoided Baharagora and took the hati-gopi road.
Nice to know that at present Hatibari-Gopiballabhpur road is in even better shape than before. I know that I have to visit Bhilai sometime at the end of this year, so this writing of yours comes much useful to me.

In long trips I usually travel with my family or friends but this time I shall be visiting Bhilai on some official work (possibly in December or in January), where I have to attend an official convention, hence shall be the lone driver. May send you a PM that time to seek some information.
Warm regards,
Rahul
Old 5th May 2016, 12:21   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shall be visiting Bhilai on some official work (possibly in December or in January), where I have to attend an official convention, hence shall be the lone driver. May send you a PM that time to seek some information.
Warm regards,
Rahul
It will be a pleasure meeting you, please feel free to PM me.
BTW does you visit have anything to do with SAIL/BSP ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks