Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 22:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata to Raipur - need advice with trip planning

Hi All
Sorry for the long hiatus. Hope you guys are all fine. I am planning a road trip to Raipur from Kolkata in October. I have no clue about the road beyond Baripada. All I know is NH6 is the one to take. Could someone with experience on this stretch help? I need to plan the night halts in advance since I will be travelling with my wife and five year old daughter.
Thanks in advance
Sudipto
Old 29th July 2008, 22:29   #2
BHPian

Guys,

I am also interested in knowing the road conditions on NH-6. I am planning Kolkata - Durg in Oct end.

Sudipto> If you can start early, it should be possible to do Kolkata - Raipur in a day. Distance is 830 kms. But the drive will be hectic. Sambalpur@551 kms is a good option for night halt.

Rajat
Old 29th July 2008, 22:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please check the following thread on road conditions between Raipur and Sambalpur, whihc do not make flattering reading:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/907739-post64.html

Mumbai - orissa road update> (LIVE UPDATE - 16/17-07-08)
Raipur - Sohela >100% bad roads.(v v terrible & pathetic)
Sohela - Sambalpur > 50 % bad roads with very bad potholes(again pathetic).

But for the bad roads, possible to do the trip in 1 day. I have driven from Kharagpur to Raipur the same day with a 3/4-hour breakdown repair halt en route.

Sambalpur is the bes place to halt for the night in case you wish to do it in 2 days.

Large towns are Kharagpur, Jashipur, Keonjhar, Deogarh, Sambalpur, Baragarh, Saraipalli and Pithora.
Old 29th July 2008, 22:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North East India, Dec 2001

Link to my log book, which has Kolkata-Kharagpur-Raipur route details.
Old 29th July 2008, 23:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Kolkata - Kharagpur run is very decent.

The roads are 99% excellent and a pleasure to drive on.

However, its been 6 months since I traveled on this stretch.
Old 30th July 2008, 00:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The Kolkata - Kharagpur run is very decent.

The roads are 99% excellent and a pleasure to drive on.

However, its been 6 months since I traveled on this stretch.
Continues to be a pleasure, road is in great form - you could do the run in 1.5 hours or so.
Old 30th July 2008, 00:41   #7
BHPian

Hmm....from the links and details I see in this thread driving to Goa through Mumbai from Kolkata (I plan it in feb) would need atleast 3-4 days....It "might" just be faster driving down to Vijaywada and cutting in.....

Sudiptoda would appreciate an update from you or anyone who does the stretch....till which every point from Kolkata till Mumbai...

The details from jaysmokesleaves is good but vague..., gives us a hint however.
Old 30th July 2008, 06:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses friends. Kumar, I left a post in yahoo as well and sent you an email ! I knew you would most definitely have the log. Basically I plan to go to Barnwapara Sanctuary, which is before Raipur actually (any input on the sanctuary from any one will be a bonus).

I am not so worried about the pot holes - having grown up in Kolkata, we all know how to accept potholes as a part of life and I am not bothered about them, as long as they don't break my car down or affect speed which in turn affects the night halt plans.

I am more worried about highway jams, rasta rokos, law and order etc.

Two years ago I came back from Bhubaneswar via Baripada-Jamshola-Bahragora-Kharagpur. Therefore I am not so worried about this part. I guess it will be more or less the same for the rest of the journey. Am I correct in assuming that Kumar?

Rajat and Indra - I will keep you posted about the road condition. Abhi - why not join me?

Sudipto
Old 30th July 2008, 10:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I am more worried about highway jams, rasta rokos, law and order etc.

Two years ago I came back from Bhubaneswar via Baripada-Jamshola-Bahragora-Kharagpur. Therefore I am not so worried about this part. I guess it will be more or less the same for the rest of the journey. Am I correct in assuming that Kumar?

Sudipto
Sudipto,

Baharogara-Jamshola jams are as horrendous as ever, especially now that NH60 is in a mess and almost closed down thanks to the recent rain damage. A tbhp-er Andy Dog Lover got stuck for 1-2 hours at the check posts earlier this month.
Old 30th July 2008, 10:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

What happened to your Matiz

Have you retired your Matiz? Can't believe it. I hope you have not sold it off, in favour of the new Scorpio?
Old 30th July 2008, 10:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Matiz is still with me, 260,000 kms strong, and my weekend car. Weakened by age, nevertheless spent a lot of money to keep it running in good condition. Only complaint from Matiz is it has not been driven enough in the last 3.5 years.
Old 30th July 2008, 10:59   #12
BANNED

Wow nice to see guys visiting my native, really mis my place but no time to visit, its been 3 years now i'have been there sigh :(.
Best of luck for your trip mate.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:02   #13
BHPian

My Route Plan

Good to see lot of informations flowing in.

Thought of sharing my route plan so that relevant inputs will also come along.

My planned route while returning from Kolkata is:

Kolkata -> Sambalpur -> Durg -> Nagpur -> Hyd - Blr.

Planning this route as I want to visit my cousin on my way back to Blr. While going, I will take the regular route Akroy took.

Rajat
Old 30th July 2008, 11:13   #14
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sudipto,

Baharogara-Jamshola jams are as horrendous as ever, especially now that NH60 is in a mess and almost closed down thanks to the recent rain damage. A tbhp-er Andy Dog Lover got stuck for 1-2 hours at the check posts earlier this month.

Adding to this would be the worst kind of roads at the Bengal-Orissa-Jharkhand border - this place belongs to no one.

There may also be some jam on the Bangriposi ghat road leading up to the Keonjhar town as big trailers and oversized tendu laden trucks get stuck sometimes. - based on my experience while coming from Satkosia, connecting with NH6 at Pal Lahara.

But the scenery of the road through rustic and green Orissa more than makes it up.

I had a plan of going to Barnawapara this year around April but for various reasons got cancelled. At that time was following this travelogue as a guide. Hope it helps ,

Just Forests! Travelbuggy

Last edited by adc : 30th July 2008 at 11:24.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sudipto,

Hi Sudipto,

HVK is right. Got stuck at Jamshola for nearly 2 hours at 8 p.m. Man, civilization ends there!! Moreover the road is not dotted with potholes but the pothole stretch is dotted with roads Do refer my ordeal here -http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...700-kms-2.html. You can expect complete mayhem and chaos. Experience of a lifetime!!! Enjoy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks