Team-BHP - Need info on good hotels and resturents in Pondi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Need info on good hotels and resturents in Pondi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/43439-need-info-good-hotels-resturents-pondi.html)

Hi all,
I'm traveling to Pondi next week with my wife on a 2 day trip. Can you please advise some good hotels or resorts to stay in pondi. My Budget is around 2000 to 3000 INR per day. I prefer hotels with good complimentary breakfast. Please advise with your prior experience. It would be great if you can also mention just the places to visit within 100kms around pondi

Also can you please advise some good non veg. restaurants in pondi. I promise to share my experience with pics in the travellounge once I'm back.

Thanks in advance,
Mansingh
cheers:

Hi, What a coincidence.. We are visiting Pondi for a 2 day trip starting Thursday this week. I too need hotel recommendations with a car park in -not near bus stand- & -not near market- areas. Budget per night: 1500 including taxes.

If the hotel has good sea food then it a definite bonus! Also do provide recommendation on places in Pondicherry that give excellent local cuisine/sea food..

Thanks,
GO.

Search, there's a lot of travelogues on pondi. Book now, its a long weekend and everyone knows about it ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansingh (Post 925273)
Hi all,
I'm traveling to Pondi next week with my wife on a 2 day trip. Can you please advise some good hotels or resorts to stay in pondi. My Budget is around 2000 to 3000 INR per day. I prefer hotels with good complimentary breakfast. Please advise with your prior experience. It would be great if you can also mention just the places to visit within 100kms around pondi

Also can you please advise some good non veg. restaurants in pondi. I promise to share my experience with pics in the travellounge once I'm back.

Thanks in advance,
Mansingh
cheers:

@mansingh there are lot of good places to stay in Pondi..avoid places near the bus stand and the market.my personal fav would be ST. James Court.it is right on the beach and the budget also will suit you.the food is average or you can try the Ashok pondi, which is also on the beach..
let me know if you need more details in case you have not booked anything..
budget @ these two places will be Rs 2500/- per night.

My favourite for good food in Pondicherry is Ajanta Guest house, it is by the sea and has a terrace restaurant. Awesome food. It has about 8 clean rooms too, difficult to get accomodation at short notice though.

Park Guest House.

NO Non Veg, NO Alcohol.
800 for AC Room.
400 for Non AC Room.

Prefer any room above the ground floor so your balcony will overlook the beach.

You are in the heart of the City.

The cross hair is on the hotel:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Dudes' there are umpteen places to stay and eat around. Depends what your budget is.Keep in mind abt the long weekend too.

My take of hotels for stay within the city

1 - Hotel Mass
2 - Ananda Inn
3 - Hotel Annamalai

Having stayed at all these 3 hotels here is my take : Excellent hotels,good parking facilities, clean rooms and has a good restaurant too. Tariff ranges from 1900 + taxes to 3800 + taxes.

Regarding the beach side hotels,

1 - The Promenade
2 - Hotel Ashoka
3 - St.James Beach Resort
4 - Kailash Beach Resort
5 - Dune ( if you have a really deep pocket)
6 - Banayan Beach Resort ( cheapest and owned by the MASS group of hotels).

My fav' pick is Hotel De L’orient or a homestay kinda place called Villa Helena .

For food never miss out on Rendezvous.

Check my travelogue here . Happy tripping and beer gulping cheers: .

I have stayed in the St. James Beach resort twice & i can vouch for that. It is generally very free & just looks out to the sea. Very reasonable rates for booze & excellent food too. The rooms are spacious & clean. Two types of suites are available for Rs.1800/ & Rs.2500/-, no taxes. I have managed to get a 10% discount both the visits.

Here's the link for some photos http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ndicherry.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 925990)
6 - Banayan Beach Resort ( cheapest and owned by the MASS group of hotels).

Riju, Banyan Beach Resort was closed down in 2006 itself. MASS Management sold the property.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by akroy (Post 926480)
Riju, Banyan Beach Resort was closed down in 2006 itself. MASS Management sold the property.

Abhi how sure are you about this ? 2006 is quite impossible coz last year when I had driven to Mahabs in July we stopped over at Banyan Beach Resort for a cuppa in the morning.

I booked in the James court. The rates for super deluxe room was quoted 2500. Negotiated for 10% discount.

Hope it is a good deal.
Wait for my travel writeup once I'm back.

Regards,
Mansingh

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 926646)
Abhi how sure are you about this ? 2006 is quite impossible coz last year when I had driven to Mahabs in July we stopped over at Banyan Beach Resort for a cuppa in the morning.

Are you sure? Banyan Beach is not exactly on ECR but you need to drive a little inside from ECR. I hope you are not confusing between Banyan Beach and Soorya Beach.

I called Hotel MASS to enquire about Banyan Beach as the Banyan Beach number which I had was not working (I stayed in Banyan Beach in Mar2005 and Sept2005 - Pondi trips). Hotel Mass told that they had already sold the property long back, about 2 years back. Hence I mentioned 2006. If you are right then the guy didnt know the exact date.

During my recent visit, I didnot see any Banyan Beach Resort hoarding on ECR (there was a big board that time). Also during dinner at Soorya beach Resort, I enquired about BB and they too confirmed that it has been closed down.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansingh (Post 926662)
I booked in the James court. The rates for super deluxe room was quoted 2500. Negotiated for 10% discount.

Hope it is a good deal.

Regards,
Mansingh

Yes it is a good deal and St. James is good VFM resort now. Read esteem_lover's travelogue to Pondi, There are some nice pics of St. james.

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansingh (Post 926662)

Hope it is a good deal.

Regards,
Mansingh

Good choice mansingh, I am sure you wont be disappointed. There is plenty of space for parking. The 2500/- room is quite spacious. Enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mansingh (Post 925273)
... It would be great if you can also mention just the places to visit within 100kms around pondi

Good Non veg restuarent - What else but "The Rendezvous" (Rendezvous - Cafe Restaurant)

Sightseeing - A little off-beat one, which I liked a lot. Boating on a row boat in the mangrove was awesome.
Pichavaram Mangrove Forest: Located 85 Kms from Pondicherry (Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Pichavaram)