Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 14:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Trip to Kemmangundi

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

I'm planning to do a trip to Kemmangundi this weekend, I am planning to take the route:

Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Kemmangundi

Does anyone has any info about the roads?

I did Bangalore-Sakleshpur last month and the roads till Hasan very pretty good, so I am in double mind whether to go via Hasan, chikamaglur to Kemmangundi or to follow the route I mentioned above.

If the roads are ok to drive I should be ok as I am going with my Duster, So, please if someone is aware of the roads let me know.

Thanks,
-Pallav
Old 11th July 2013, 15:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Sorry to bump up an old thread.

Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Kemmangundi

Does anyone has any info about the roads?
The roads are good till Arsikere (drove last month).

Arsikere-Birur stretch was good when I last drove (on Jan, to Shimoga).
Hopefully, the route is still in good condition, but since you drive a Duster shouldnt be a problem.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 21:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
The roads are good till Arsikere (drove last month).

Arsikere-Birur stretch was good when I last drove (on Jan, to Shimoga).
Hopefully, the route is still in good condition, but since you drive a Duster shouldnt be a problem.
Thanks nfsfreak.

Just came back from Kemmangundi and the roads were awesome for almost 96% of the time, only a stretch of 10km after Birur was in slightly bad condition but even then I was able to make a good 60-70 km/hr, thanks to Duster.

So, just wanted to add this information to this thread so that if anyone is going to Kemmangundi can take this route.

Also, I found a decent home stay 'Joe Home Stay' just 3 Km before Kalhatti falls, and around 12 Km from Kemmangundi. Home stay was good enough if you are going with a group. And had two decent restaurants near by.

Adding the picture of the homestay from outside, forgot to take it from inside.

View in front of the Homestay:
Trip to Kemmangundi-joefrontview.jpg

Entrance of the homestay:
Trip to Kemmangundi-joeentrance.jpg

We were four of us and we paid just 1700 for the room. So, I think if someone wants to just go there and spend some peaceful time then can think of this.

Thanks,
-Pallav
Old 27th July 2013, 12:54   #34
BHPian

Kemmangundi
The Horticulture Dept. Guest House (triple Rs 600, Tel 08262-235334), the best accommodation and restaurant in the middle of the forest are undergoing a complete makeover. You need to call at LalBagh, Bangalore (Tel: 080- 26571925, 26570181, 26570824) to book your rooms. The old ratty buildings have been razed off to replace with wooden clad buildings with mod-cons, expect to pay Rs 1500 or more for a double room, to be inaugurated in Oct 2013. We were lucky to find two old rooms for six of us with 3 beds in each, though the rooms were not maintained well. The makeshift restaurant cooks up whatever is in the store. The new restaurant is very jazzy. Raj Bhavan has also got a complete makeover.

Kemmangundi-Mullayanagiri route:
Driving this route is not for the faint hearted but is a must for nature aficionados if you have own vehicle. First 15km is very bad until a check post. It is worth the effort, lush green forest and deep valleys amidst fog entice you on this scenic route. During monsoon, it is worse with poodles of water on the way. You will reach Chikmagalur-Lingadahalli road after Mullayanagiri. There are a few home stays in this route. The better route to Kemmangundi from Lingadahalli (20km) is widened and constructed with concrete. So if you love your vehicle more than nature, return the same way.

Less time consuming route to Kemmangundi is still via Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur, the road is 4-lane just before Shravanabelgola turn.
Old 15th March 2014, 00:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

How is the route from kemmangundi to mullayangiri now? Still heavily broken? I plan to drive from mullayangiri to jlr river term lodge sat morning.
Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 15:00   #36
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Planning for a Family get-together on May 3-4 in Kemmangundi. Heard there is a dormitory accomadation in the Horticulture guest house. Is it good? or is there any other options available?

It will be for around 40 people and how is the food / other facilities?

Dont wat to take risk as it will be with Kids and few Sr. Citizens as well.
Old 10th April 2014, 23:57   #37
BHPian

My cousin and wife with 2 kids, both above 13, plan a tour to Mysore, Hassan, Halebeedu, Belur, Chikmagalur & Kemmanagundi in May second half in his Swift Dzire. Their draft itinerary is as below:

Day 1: Kochi - Mysore, overnight stay.
Day 2: Mysore sightseeing
Day 3: Mysore - Hassan - Halebeedu - Belur - Kemmanagundi. Visit Hebbe Falls, Z Point etc. (any other place worth visit?) Overnight stay at Kemmanagundi.
Day 4: Kemmanagundi - Mullyangiri - Chikmagalur. Stay at Chikmagalur.
Day 5: Chikmagalur - Madikeri. Stay.
Day 6: Madikeri local
Day 7: Return to Kochi via Mananthavady.

Is this plan workable? How much trekking involved in visiting Hebbe Falls, Z Point and Mullyangiri? Is the day 3 plan too hectic?

What are the accommodaion options at the above proposed places of stay?

Is May second week a good time to visit these places?

How is the road conditions to these places? Can Swift Dzire do it effortlessly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th April 2014, 07:43   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Is this plan workable?
Workable definitely. But dont you want a day or two in between to relax and chill out ? As per the plan you would be continuously on the move.
Old 11th April 2014, 18:05   #39
BHPian

Thanks ampere saab, you're again my savour.
As I stated at the first instance, this plan is for my cousin. I'll ask him to either add a day or drop Madikeri.
You may pl give your inputs and I'll convey the same to him and of course, will make sure he is following it as well.
I read in some forum that Hebbe falls is out of bounds as it falls in a Tiger Reserve. Is that true? Also I was informed that a direct route from Kemmanagundi to Mullyanagiri exists, but not good for cars. Any idea of the present condition of that route?
Old 11th April 2014, 18:37   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I read in some forum that Hebbe falls is out of bounds as it falls in a Tiger Reserve. Is that true?
No idea on that. @Addyhemmige and @Parag should help. They would also know about the road status on the hills.

Quote:
Also I was informed that a direct route from Kemmanagundi to Mullyanagiri exists, but not good for cars. Any idea of the present condition of that route?
Also note these places are by no means hill stations as such. So they would be hot. I mean all places; Mysore, Hassan, Belur, Halebidu, CKM etc. Hills will be all dry and I also don't expect any greens. And without any cover, the place may be really hot at the top too. Do check that part too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 07:26   #41
BHPian

Thanks ampere saab. he changed his trip to post monsoon, i.e., Sept or Oct based on your inputs. Hope this time is ideal and rains will subside.
Old 14th April 2014, 08:17   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere saab. he changed his trip to post monsoon, i.e., Sept or Oct based on your inputs. Hope this time is ideal and rains will subside.
Sep/Oct is a good time. First round of rains would have completed. The place would be green. And add to it, you can also think of visiting Jog! There should be enough water. He then has many places to chose from!

Last but not least, many hotels and resorts would float their monsoon offers which he can avail too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 15:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sep/Oct is a good time.
I am planning a ride around this place tomorrow. Just a day ride. This is my route map: https://goo.gl/maps/zCi1GjBUaCG2

Do you reckon this is okay?
Old 18th November 2016, 15:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Do you reckon this is okay?
Absolutely. I rode the same route just 5 days back, but spread over 2 days.
Roads are largely good. Expect a few bumps after crossing Arsikere and few towards Lingadahalli. Rest, traffic may get a bit unruly near Belur-Hassan stretch. Rest is all lovely. Kemmangundi is cool at the top but the route up top has no roads for the last 4-5 km.
Rs 30 is the entry fee to Kemmangundi top and Rs 10 for Srikalahasti falls.

Last edited by Divya Sharan : 18th November 2016 at 15:23.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 09:24   #45
BHPian

Hi All,

I am traveling to Udupi from Bangalore and intend to halt for a day or maybe 2 on the way. I was considering Chikmagalur. Any ideas if there is water now in Hebbe Falls? Do you suggest any other place other than Chikmagalur? I am traveling with wife and daughter. Not very keen on too much walking in sun. Prefer cool and shaded place for walking or maybe no walking at all. We were considering Mysore zoo. But in this sun, not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks