Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 20:00   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Salem

Need some advice on the best possible route from Chennai to Salem from you guys.

I heard from Ajo that the Chennai to Dharmapuri and then to salem is quicker but a bit longer.

If I take the GST route via NH 45, it can get a bit cumbersome after Tindivanam (after the toll road ends) but it is shorter. I just did a quick check and came to understand that route 2 via tindivanam is around 326 kms whilst route 1 is around 372 kms.

Can anyone throw some light on the conditions of the road, route and previous experiences as well please?

P.S: Planning to do it on 15th morning and return by Sunday night with my Wagon R

Last edited by koolaruny : 4th August 2008 at 20:16. Reason: Typo error
Old 4th August 2008, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

You can also do Chennai-Salem via Tindivanam, Tiruvannamalai, Uttangarai, Tirupattur. Good roads all the way, and one of the shortest. One of our members has done itt recently.
Old 4th August 2008, 20:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/911160-post14.html

Check the above thread for the route from Chennai-Salem via Tiruvannamalai.
Old 4th August 2008, 20:38   #4
BHPian

Thanks kumar. Would you also have any idea about the distance? Are you suggesti take the route via Sengi fort to Thiruvannamalai and also, from there, towards tirupattur, how long does it take?

Can you give me a distance break-up by route if possible please?
Old 4th August 2008, 22:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Chennai-Tindivanam 120 kms-Tiruvannamalai 70-Uttangarai 70-Harur 30-Salem 60, totalling to approximately 350 kms. This route would be first on NH45 from Chennai-Tindivanam, then on NH66 via Gingee (Sengi Fort) to Uttangarai.

If you go via Tirupatttur, that means taking NH4/ NH46 via Sriperembudur, Kanchipuram, Vellore to Vaniyambadi, then going via Tirupattur to Uttangarai, and going on to Salem via Harur. Distance is almost the same.
Old 5th August 2008, 09:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest going via Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri as a better option, as the road conditions upto Thoppur from Krishnagiri has improved a lot. If my memory serves correct the total distance via Krishnagiri should be around 355 kms. I am fairly sure this would be the quickest as well.

The road from Tirupathur and Tiruvannamalai join at Uttangarai which in turns joins the Ulundurpet - Salem road at Ayodhyapatnam.

I had done upto Tiruvannamalai last weekend the roads are great until Tiruvannamalai, csenthil had done Bangalore - Panruti a couple of weeks back where he has confirmed the roads are good from Uttangarai to Tiruvannamalai, the post mentioned by HVKumar confirms the roads are good from Uttangarai - Salem.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think NH46 till Vaniyambadi, take left for Yelagiri (directions for Salem / yelagiri clearly mentioned) - Tirupattur - Salem should be the fastest.

Roads are good throughout.

Abhi
Old 5th August 2008, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Depends also on which side of town you are and what time you are leaving. If you are leaving early morning any of these routes should be ok.

I would personally suggest Guindy - Porur - Poonamallee Bypass - Kancipuram bridge - Vellore bypass - Ambur - Vaniyambadi - Tirupattur - Salem.

You can do Guindy - Vaniyambadi in 2.30 - 3 hrs if you leave early. Thats 200 kms in 3 hrs or lesser. You could do the rest in another 3 hrs max.
Old 8th August 2008, 19:43   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestion. Will update you all after the trip with the road conditions, if they have changed and my travelogue.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Chennai - Coimbatore - Chennai

Does anyone have the latest updates on this route.
Last month I used the Coimbatore-Salem-Tirupattur-Vaniyambaadi-Chennai route.
Howz the road condition if I opt to use the Krishnagiri route?
Leaving from Chennai on Friday morning around 5-6am.
-Jey
Old 13th August 2008, 14:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

You can try any of these
1. Chennai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai (right for Anthiyur) - Gobi - Nambiyur - Avinashi - Coimbatore
2. Or alternativley go upto Sathyamangalam from Andhiyur via Athani then onto Coimbatore via Annur. I did upto Sathyamangalam three weeks back and the road is good all the way. Chennai to Sathyamangalam was around 440 kms. I reached Sathyamangalam in about 8 1/2 hours including a leisurely 45 minute food break apart from driving in a sedate manner.

If you dont want to try alternate routes you can always opt for going to Bhavani from Mettur then onto Perundurai via the regular NH 47.

Cheers.

Srikanth
Old 17th August 2008, 18:45   #12
BHPian

Did Chennai to Coimbatore on 15th morning.
Took Chennai - Vaaniyambaai - Tirupattur - Harur - Salem - Chithode - Gopi - Sathy-Coimbatore route.
Started at 5:30 from Chennai and reached Vaaniyambaadi at 8:15.The roads upto Tirupattur have gone bad a bit.Too much traffic too.But once I crossed Tirupattur town,the roads were very good again.Reached Salem at 10:45.The roads from Salem to Chithode on NH47 were a terrible nightmare.With roadwork going all the way,this stretch was easily the most tiring of the trip.Once we took the right turn to Gopi,the travel was a breeze again.

Leaving to Chennai tomorrow early morning and want to avoid Salem stretch at any cost.
As of now I am planning to do Coimbatore - Sathy - Gopi - Chithode - Bhavani - Mettur - Mechery - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri-Chennai.Any updates from anyone on the stretch between Bhavani - Mettur and Mettur - Krishnagiri?

Planning to leave t'mow morning around 5.
Old 18th August 2008, 00:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bhavani - Mettur road should be ok. Roads nearing Mettur were a little bit bad with potholes. Mettur - Krishnagiri shouldn't be a problem. Expect roadwork between Thoppur - Krishnagiri.

You can alternatively try Gopi - Athani - Andiyur - Ammapettai - Mettur. This is a shorter route and goes through some fantastic countryside. The road conditions should be decent/good and would help you avoid driving through Bhavani town.

Bad option of doing Salem - Chithode as roads are being 4 laned.
Old 18th August 2008, 17:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Did Chennai to Coimbatore on 15th morning.
Took Chennai - Vaaniyambaai - Tirupattur - Harur - Salem - Chithode - Gopi - Sathy-Coimbatore route.
Started at 5:30 from Chennai and reached Vaaniyambaadi at 8:15.The roads upto Tirupattur have gone bad a bit.Too much traffic too.But once I crossed Tirupattur town,the roads were very good again.Reached Salem at 10:45.The roads from Salem to Chithode on NH47 were a terrible nightmare.With roadwork going all the way,this stretch was easily the most tiring of the trip.Once we took the right turn to Gopi,the travel was a breeze again.
I did the same stretch on Friday leaving at 5:00AM from here but we went through mettur-bhavani-avinashi route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Leaving to Chennai tomorrow early morning and want to avoid Salem stretch at any cost.
As of now I am planning to do Coimbatore - Sathy - Gopi - Chithode - Bhavani - Mettur - Mechery - Thoppur - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri-Chennai.Any updates from anyone on the stretch between Bhavani - Mettur and Mettur - Krishnagiri?

Planning to leave t'mow morning around 5.
I am just back from a Chennai - Thrissur trip. Bhavani- mettur stretch is perfectly alright and will be a driver's delight. Mettur - Krishnagiri is decent to drive during the day. But watch out for the road work going on between thoppur and Krishanagiri. You will see new road patches with a difference of even 3 inches from the old roads in this strectch so look out of this too.
Old 18th August 2008, 20:18   #15
BHPian

Coimbatore - Chennai

Did Coimbatore chennai today morning.
Took Coimbatore-Sathy-Gopi-Chithode-Bhavani-Mettur-Mecheri-Dharmapuri-Palakodu-Kaveripattnam-Krishnagiri-Chennai.
Started at 5:30AM and reached Velachery at 1:40PM.
Bhavani-Mettur stretch was very good.It was really nice driving along a very picturesque country side in the morning.
While nearing Dharmapuri,I took the bypass to avoid entering Dharmapuri town.However this detour took me to Palakodu and from there I took a right turn to join Krishnagiri road at Kaveripatnam.To go to Krishnagiri is it mandatory that we have to drive thru Dharmapuri town?
But I guess this detour was in a way good for me.The roads were good along this entire stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks