Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 22:52   #1

Hyderabad - Rajamundry : Route Queries

Hi everybody

can anybody please let me know the current road conditions from Hyderabad - Rajamundry? I know that there are two routes

1. Hyderabad-Suryapet-Khammam-Rajamundry
2. Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Rajamundry

I prefer to take the 1st route becuase the volume of the traffic is sparse on the Suryapet-Rajamundry leg. Last time when I travelled in Jan, the route was manageable except for a 40 KM strech between Ashwaraopet - Jangareddygudem. I am planning to start in hyderabad on Aug 7th in the afternoon in my Ford Fiesta. Can anybody give me the current road/driving conditions on the Suryapet-Rajamundry route?

Thanks in Advance
Old 6th August 2008, 12:24   #2
BHPian

Hi chandookcs,

I did this leg a month ago and the road conditions were excellent. If I'm not mistaken, on both your choice of roads, you'll have to cross Suryapet as it falls on the way to Vijayawada.

Anyways, my route went like this --

Hyderabad -- Choutuppal (17 Kms) -- Suryapet (97 Kms) -- Jaggaiahpet (162 Kms) -- Vijayawada (170 Kms) -- Tadepalligudem (274 Kms) -- Tanuku (292 Kms) -- Dowleswaram (345 Kms) -- Rajahmundry (350 Kms).

Time taken approx - 5 Hrs. Road conditions - excellent. Standard 2 way highway upto Vijayawada and GQ (4-way) from Vijayawada onwards upto Rajahmundry. Hope this info helps
Old 6th August 2008, 15:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
Hi chandookcs,

I did this leg a month ago and the road conditions were excellent. If I'm not mistaken, on both your choice of roads, you'll have to cross Suryapet as it falls on the way to Vijayawada.

Anyways, my route went like this --

Hyderabad -- Choutuppal (17 Kms) -- Suryapet (97 Kms) -- Jaggaiahpet (162 Kms) -- Vijayawada (170 Kms) -- Tadepalligudem (274 Kms) -- Tanuku (292 Kms) -- Dowleswaram (345 Kms) -- Rajahmundry (350 Kms).

Time taken approx - 5 Hrs. Road conditions - excellent. Standard 2 way highway upto Vijayawada and GQ (4-way) from Vijayawada onwards upto Rajahmundry. Hope this info helps
I think your odo readings from Vijaywada are off by a 100 kms: Vijaywada is around 270 kms from Hyd, not 170. This apart, RJY is around 350, not 250.
It normally takes 6 hours to Vijaywada from Hyd. From there, it is a breeze.
Old 6th August 2008, 21:10   #4

Thanks for the replies, do you have an idea on the other route Via Suryapet-Khammam?? NH9 between Hyderabad and Vijaywada is known for it chaotic traffic and the Traffic Jams, I also want to bypass vijayawada. Last Jan when I did the Khammam route, I have clocked around 8 hrs (includes 1 hr in a traffic jam near choutuppal).
Old 7th August 2008, 16:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I think your odo readings from Vijaywada are off by a 100 kms: Vijaywada is around 270 kms from Hyd, not 170. This apart, RJY is around 350, not 250.
It normally takes 6 hours to Vijaywada from Hyd. From there, it is a breeze.
I agree, Vjw is approximately 280km from Hyderabad.

Venu, Andy mentioned correctly for RJY, that is 350kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
Rajahmundry (350 Kms)
Old 9th July 2009, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Dear All,

I am travelling this weekend to Rajamundry from Hyderabad. I would like to take SuryaPet-Vijayawada-Eluru-Rajamundry route as I am new to this route and dont want to take statehighways.

Could someone http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif let me know the current condition (Post June 2009) of NH9 from Hyderabad to Vijayawada? Your inputs would help us to plan accordingly.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
Old 13th July 2009, 10:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
.....I am travelling this weekend to Rajamundry from Hyderabad. I would like to take SuryaPet-Vijayawada-Eluru-Rajamundry route as I am new to this route and dont want to take statehighways. Could someone please let me know the current condition (Post June 2009) of NH9 from Hyderabad to Vijayawada?....
The road condition is ok once you get out of Hyderabad but there is usually heavy traffic and a lot of trucks.

I would recommend turning off to Khammam at Suryapet. Though you will be on state highways after that, the condition is good and I think there will be much less traffic.

Edited: Just realised you must have already left for Rajahmundry as you have said you are travelling on the weekend. Anyway you could try out the Khammam route on your return if you are still in Rajahmundry and reading this.

Last edited by straightdrive : 13th July 2009 at 10:45.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
The road condition is ok once you get out of Hyderabad but there is usually heavy traffic and a lot of trucks.

I would recommend turning off to Khammam at Suryapet. Though you will be on state highways after that, the condition is good and I think there will be much less traffic.

Edited: Just realised you must have already left for Rajahmundry as you have said you are travelling on the weekend. Anyway you could try out the Khammam route on your return if you are still in Rajahmundry and reading this.
Thanks for your response. I have reached Hyderabad on 12th July 2009 night itself. I agree with you that the traffic is heavy (i never seen such heavy traffic though its my 13th long drive). Interestingly, most of the traffic is between Surya pet and Hyderabad. I took Hyderabad - Vijayawada- Rajahmundry route. Roads are much better than what I expected. I see truckers are much better than Car drivers (not car owner who are driving) and buses. At least they respect some highway rules.

Anyway, it was a safer and quicker journey as my drive time (excluding rest time) is only 7:30 hours.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:22   #9
BHPian

What is the latest (June 2010) situation of the roads between Hyderabad and Rajahmundry?

I suppose that the answers here will also become the guiding factors for proposed travel between Hyderabad-Visakhapatnam, Hyderabad-Bhubaneshwar and Hyderabad-Kolkata.

After an extensive search on TBHP website, I have found that suggestions made by experienced travellers indicate that these are the choices of routes :

1) Hyderabad-NH9-Suryapet-NH9-Vijayawada-GQ-Rajahmundry

2) Hyderabad-NH9-Suryapet-SH-Khammam-SH-Rajahmundry

3) Hyderabad-NH9-Narketpally-SH-Nalgonda-SH-Mirayalguda-SH-Pidugralla-SH-Guntur-GQ-Rajahmundry

4) Hyderabad-SH-Nagarjunasagar-SH-Macherla-SH-Pidugralla-SH-Guntur-GQ-Rajahmundry

Now come the questions, the answers to which, which will help a future traveller take a decision in choosing the best route for proposed travel :

Which, in your opinion, of the above four is the best route :

a) if a driver wishes to have most tension free driving

b) if travel is to be by the shortest distance

c) if travel time is to be the shortest
Old 20th June 2010, 13:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Option 2 via Khammam is the best option. One month ago, the roads were also good. Traffic is minimal after Khammam. You will travel faster and with less tension (compared with the high trafficked NH9 via Vijayawada).
Old 20th June 2010, 17:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Fordmanchau was supposed to travel to Araku this weekend. You may PM him for the latest info.
Old 29th October 2010, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Hi All,

Any update on the current Road conditions towards RJY. Most probably planning a trip to Vizag. So, if anyone travelled recently, please suggest which one is better via Khammam or via Vijayawada ?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 30th October 2010, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Sriswe,
Don't even think of travelling via khammam - sattupalli route to rajamundry. Just before dussehra, on 9th of this month, we took this route for going to calcutta, based on a couple of indirect feedbacks. All of them suggested to take this route, instead of NH9 to vijaywada, but it was a big blunder - the entire stretch is in shambles, if you are travelling in anything other than a SUV or truck. It is full of potholes and craters and you just can not speed up for any considerable distance throughout the whole stretch. As a result it took us almost 11 hours to cross RJM and reach NH5 from Hyd.
So obviously, on our return journey we took the good old NH9 from vijaywada, and i must say that instead of all the road widening work going on throughout the stretch it is still a better ( or less worse may be more appropriate phrase) option. Only thing, you have to keep moving slowly in line with the endless series of trucks but will reach hyderabad without subjecting your car to any nasty shock or jolt. The road surface is quite managable inspite of the heavy traffic and the endless monsoon. And be careful when you attempt any overtakes, because there are high chances that you will create a grid lock and a R-E-A-L long traffic jam. In fact we were stuck in such a jam for an hour. After the traffic started moving in our lane, I noted my odo reading to see how long the queue in the other lane is. And believe it or not, the queue was a little over 7 km long, yes, you read it right - it was 7000 mtr..
So take your pick accordingly.
Old 30th October 2010, 16:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
In fact we were stuck in such a jam for an hour. After the traffic started moving in our lane, I noted my odo reading to see how long the queue in the other lane is. And believe it or not, the queue was a little over 7 km long, yes, you read it right - it was 7000 mtr..
So take your pick accordingly.
This route is becoming horrific day by day. They need to widen this road real fast. 7kms jam is something i wouldnt like to be caught dead in.

Taking a train to Vjw/Rajmundhry seems to be the most wise decision till they widen that stretch.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree.VJA NH9 road surface is surprisingly good inspite of all that road widening work thats going on.Khammam route is pretty bad at the moment.Inspite of all the speeds and skills,VJA-Hyd(Ramoji Film City) is going to take 5.5 hours in any car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks