Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 17:06   #1
LNS

Advice for touring B’lore-Chikmagalur-Hampi-Badami-Bijapur-Hubli

Hello-
I am an American tourist planning a ten-day tour of Karnataka in February 09. I found this BHP forum on Route / Travel Queries by searching the web - I’ve already read a number of very helpful threads about recommended routes and road conditions although some of the posts are over a year old so are maybe outdated. So I decided to join and ask my questions directly- What I’m trying to figure out is if my itinerary is realistic. I will be traveling by hired car and I fully understand that I should expect to find very (very) rugged conditions but I want to be sure that the driving times I’ve been told are realistic and what routes might be best. If the road experience is so awful maybe I’d be happier covering less distance – do a bit less (maybe drop going to Bijapur). So I would very much appreciate everyone’s expertise and recommendations. Below are the driving portions I am planning. I’ve been told that I have two all day drives (#1 and 2) and 3 half day legs (#3-5) I am particularly worried about the driving time between Bijapur and Hubli because I’m catching a flight at 3pm that I can’t miss.

1. Drive from Bangalore Airport to Chikmagalur (Time and road conditions?) and stay in Chikmagalur for two days as a base to tour the Belur and Halebid Temples. (Considering staying at Taj Garden Retreat hotel)
2. Drive from Chikmagalur to Hampi (I’ve been told it is a 6-7 hr drive) and stay at Hampi two days. (Considering staying at Shanthi Guest House in Hampi and not staying in Hospet to save on driving time)
3. Drive from Hampi to Badami (I’ve been told it is approx. 3.5 hours) and stay for two days to tour Badami sights and Aihole Pattadkkal temples . Any hotel recommendations?
4. Drive from Badami to Bijapur for one overnight - I’ve been told it is approx. 3 hours.
5. Drive from Bijapur to Hubli (I’ve been told it is approx. 4 hours) and fly back to Bangalore.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey LNS,

Welcome to the forum. About your query:

Realistic ideas.

1. Day 1,2,3. (this can be covered in 2 days also but sure at what you will land in Bangalore.)

Drive from Bangalore to Chikamagalur of 260km (160 miles) need 6 hours with safe speeds (60-80kmph) with couple of breaks. Taj Garden retreat is quiet good in that area. Within a day you cover Belur and halebid Temples. Good road conditions.

2. Day 4,5.

From ChikaMagalur to Hampi of 320km need 8 hours, not so good road in this stretch. you can cover hampi in 1 day and staying in hospet or hampi does not matter since both cities are hardly 20km apart.

3. Day 6,7,8.

Hampi to Badami quiet decent road would need 4 hours. Its best place to stay and visit surrouding places like Bijapur, AiHole, PattadaKallu. I heard Hotel Badami Court is good place to stay, I will find out other good options.

Day 7: I suggest stay in Badami and visit Bijapur and come back to Badami same day evening. Quiet ok roads.

Day 8: Visit Aihole and Pattada Kallu.

Day 9: Leave Badami morning at 9AM and reach Hubli by 12noon very easily to catch the flight. Quiet ok roads.

I have other option you can travel from Hampi to Bijapur directly and stay in Bijapur night and next day visit places there and reach Badami in the evening. so this would eliminate your fear of missing the flight. In this case you can see Almatti Reservoir on the way to Bijapur.

This webiste will come in handy for you to locate the places and distances.

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

What kid of vehicle you are hiring ? I suggest SUV (TATA Safari) because you won't get tired on bad roads.

Feel free to come back about any questions.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 7th August 2008 at 18:24.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNS View Post
1. Drive from Bangalore Airport to Chikmagalur (Time and road conditions?) and stay in Chikmagalur for two days as a base to tour the Belur and Halebid Temples. (Considering staying at Taj Garden Retreat hotel)
Drive from BLR - Chikmagalur is approximately 5-6 hrs depending on the speed n mode of travel. Distance is 250kms.
Your safe bet to stay in Chikmagalur is Taj Garden Retreat or The Serai( Bit expensive The Serai)
Day 1 you can visit Belur - Halebeed n return back to CKM( approximate round trip would be 70km - 80kms)
Day 2 Around CKM - Bhadra wildlife society, Mullaingiri, Kemmangundi ( all thse places are know for the Nature, trekking)
Day 3 you can leave to Hampi
Hope this helps for the first leg ;-)
Old 10th August 2008, 19:01   #4
LNS

Good advice :)

Thanks for the really helpful replies - yes we should take time to see the natural sights and Ravi's suggestion about day tripping to Bijapur is also right on. I will adjust my itinerary accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks